2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorold

By all means necessary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year again. Today is May 1st. The official "unoffical" day to start a new thread for the new cycle applicants. Good luck for those applying this cycle. We cheer for you. Check in and tell us about you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not even close - closing in on a first coherent first draft, but I'm also one of the ones that has to wait to beginning of July to submit grades from a quarter school :sleep:

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finishing up the TMDSAS application now :) But I also didn't take classes this semester, so I'm anxious to get everything in. AMCAS opens on the 5th! Good luck everyone!

Working on the final list of schools to apply to!

Are you guys submitting committee letters or packets or sending in individual LOR? I am 8 yrs out of undergrad and while my undergrad school offers to write committee letters for alumni, I am not sure if it's worth it. In order to write the letter, they would need at least one LOR from my undergrad professors. I was able to contact a professor from 8 years ago and he said he would write it but I'm not sure if his recommendation would be worth it just to fulfill the "requirement" of a committee letter

Reactions: 1 user
Nontrad8: Personally, I wouldn't bother with a committee letter -- it seems like a hassle, and I don't know who would find it a meaningful document when received so far out from graduation. You'd definitely need to supplement it with more current letters anyways...

I'm scrambling to finish stuff without losing my sanity... Definitely looking forward to the 'resting' anxiety after submission compared to the 'working' anxiety from 60-70 hr weeks.

Coursework: Finishing ochem final, biochem independent study, and the PR MCAT course this week.
LOR's: Approval from 3 science/1 humanities faculty. Not sure if I want to get one from my work or volunteer coordinator yet. Need to get a DO letter, but the DO's I'm contacting are silent or busy with premeds.
MCAT: Taking 6/20. Hope to start studying more seriously once the classes/review course end. PR seemed useful to refresh my memory about all that material from 7+ years ago, so now it's time to grill myself. Thankfully: I have ~8+ PR full lengths left. Unfortunately: who knows how accurate a representation they are?
Personal Statement: I'm trying to look at it every few days, adding small pieces... Definitely not as easy as my grad school personal statement. I'm definitely feeling the burn from ~ 9 months of employment (1/2 full-time, 1/2 part-time) + coursework + MCAT review. Making my writing come slowly...

Applying MD/DO. Hoping to submit my app 'early', but honestly can't be too worried about Day 1 versus 7 vs 14 since I will have a ~2-3 week delay from the MCAT. Assuming my MCAT is where I'm hoping, I'll be applying to ~30 schools between MD/DO, all northeastern. This whole process has become expensive.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I have lurked on this forum off and on for a while, but signing up to post. Some of the threads in past years are very encouraging and I greatly appreciate them. Applying this year, I want to participate in the conversation.

I'm a career changer who graduated undergrad in 2010. Decided several years ago to pursue medicine and changed jobs to a university that would allow me to work during the day and provide tuition reimbursement for going back to school at night. My primary application is almost ready to go... Getting feedback on my essay from a few more people and tracking down those last couple of letters that professors have promised me. I am fortunate enough that my university does not require an LOR from one of their professors to write the committee letter, so that should come in soon enough.

Best of luck to everyone! I hope to both get help and help others as we go through this process.

Reactions: 4 users
Getting my application in this year!

Very excited. I also am doing TMSDAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS - lots of typing. . .

Reactions: 5 users
Best of luck to everyone

After years of thinking it over, taking classes, losing vacations to studying for the MCAT, and then having amazing clinical experiences that reminded me why I'm bothering... it's finally time to put an application in. So exciting. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi!

I'm an excited non-traditional student applying this cycle! It has been a long journey to this point, but every experience preparing for it has only confirmed the certainty that medicine is the right path. I struggled as an undergraduate student for many years, but have turned everything around and will be walking in a few weeks to receive my Master's with high marks. :)

I got all of my LoR's confirmed a few months ago, been working on my PS for the past 5 months, and have been told my EC's are my strength! I have many school selected, but I am still finishing the list. I still need to write-up the activities and polish my PS. I hope to fill out AMCAS quickly and begin preparing secondaries before June (with last years prompts).

Best wishes everyone!

LORs requested, packages submitted - check!

PS written, reviewed by others, editing in progress - check!

Last pre-req registered for, start soon - check!

AMCAS app started (PITA!!!) - check!

MCAT registered for - check!

Kaplan review started - check!

Trying not to let the wind out of my sails with the comment from two different physicians: "The biggest issue you have with your package is you're old. The AAMC is now trying to get funding for schools to admit students who will be practicing 20 years from now, not retiring. That's going to hurt you." :(

Not sure if I count as non-trad...I like to think so! I'll be out of school for 3 years by the time I matriculate. I was all set for a JD/MPH dual degree and decided last minute that medicine is where I belonged. After all that quarter-life crisis nonsense + getting on the pre-med wagon, I am thrilled to applying this cycle.

My personal statement is not even really started lol. I have an idea of what I'd like to write about and I will be drafting it this weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ad2b don't be discouraged! Plenty of physicians decide not to practice, instead pursuing consulting, research, academics, etc. With your life experience, you can confidently discuss what you want out of a career, and if you know now that you want to practice until retirement, well I think that's a lot better than the 22 year old who could just as well end up not practicing at all.

Thanks @rachiie01 - I will practice until I die even if that "practice" means I go to Nepal and help there during a disaster, or the Philippines, or Ecuador ... I don't plan on procedural but on the diagnostics.

Good luck on PS writing!!

Pre-req: finish my last 2 classes this semester
LOR: all accounted for, looks like all of my professors will be working on it after finals but ensured to get it done promptly
Personal statement: on draft #3, basically had to scrap draft #1 but it's coming along
AMCAS app: entered in all my coursework earlier... Took awhile. I decided I've had enough for today
MCAT: 5/22 and I'm hoping this doesn't stop me from applying this cycle!

Good luck guys!

I am applying MD and DO and one of my recommenders just sent in a LOR to AACOMAS with my AMCAS and Letter ID (he got AACOMAS mixed up with AMCAS). AACOMAS is now saying I can't delete it because it's already sent. Is there any thing I can do at this point???!!!

I'm guessing my DO schools won't even look at my application now that they know I am applying MD as well.

I'm guessing my DO schools won't even look at my application now that they know I am applying MD as well.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure that most adcoms understand that people apply to a range of schools.

Good luck to everyone!

Feel free to tag me in this thread if you guys come up with any questions. I'm traditional, in that I worked in medical research after undergrad, but I will matriculate 5+ years after graduating so I might be able to help answer some questions.

I applied to more schools than I should have (45) including many that I wouldn't have wanted to go to due to location or their being new schools. I don't know if I regret that because if one of those were my only acceptance, I think I would have happily gone. That said, figure out what is acceptable to you when you're making your list.

Also apply early and broadly! Can't be said too many times!

How late is too late given the MCAT dates now?

Good luck to everyone!
I applied to more schools than I should have (45) including many that I wouldn't have wanted to go to due to location or their being new schools. I don't know if I regret that because if one of those were my only acceptance, I think I would have happily gone. That said, figure out what is acceptable to you when you're making your list.

I'm finalizing the list of schools I'm going to apply to and I find myself thinking about applying to an extremely large number as well. I definitely wouldn't apply to a place that I wouldn't go to if it weren't my only acceptance, but there are a ton of places I can imagine being happy with if it were my only acceptance. It seems to me that medical school is something I've worked a long time for and want to make happen and therefore is worth the high application fee to increase my chances. Besides the downsides of cost and the ridiculous amount of time it might take to finish the secondaries, are there any other reasons not to apply to as many schools as you did?

I'm finalizing the list of schools I'm going to apply to and I find myself thinking about applying to an extremely large number as well. I definitely wouldn't apply to a place that I wouldn't go to if it weren't my only acceptance, but there are a ton of places I can imagine being happy with if it were my only acceptance. It seems to me that medical school is something I've worked a long time for and want to make happen and therefore is worth the high application fee to increase my chances. Besides the downsides of cost and the ridiculous amount of time it might take to finish the secondaries, are there any other reasons not to apply to as many schools as you did?

The time for secondaries is a big one. Also, there are only so many school specific threads you can follow as you cross your fingers and hope for interviews etc.

The cost of interviews isn't to be overlooked as well. The best thing you can hope for if you apply to that many schools is that you get an early-ish acceptance to somewhere towards to middle of your list so you can withdraw from a bunch of schools. Or you get into one of your top choices early and call it a day. The intangible is that one might feel pressure to go to other interviews to see if they give better aid.

Doing 45 secondaries put me in a mental hole I didn't come out of for a while. It was really exhausting and I was pretty burnt out about the cycle before I'd even applied. I did go to some interviews at places I didn't want to attend since I didn't have any acceptances at that point in the cycle.

I don't regret any of it though, to be honest. I'm probably going to end up going to a school I got an interview at right before they stopped giving them out. I loved it. It's really more of a drag race than a sprint.

I am 34 yrs old. Started preparing for MCAT 2015 in January, but my preps haven't been consistent at all to say the least. I haven't been able to cover the review material even once yet. I work full time as in a Senior Leadership Role with a Healthcare organization in Canada. I was hoping to apply this yr for the Fall 2016 cycle. I realize I am late now. I have my MCAT scheduled for June 20th but I doubt I will be able to take it. Wondering if there are folks in a similar situation. How much study time is truly required for the new MCAT? Would Kaplan and Exam Crackers suffice? Dont want to spend too much time (1/2 yrs ) prepping for MCAT as it seems like a small part of the overall application, especially for the Non Trads based on my understanding.

I am 34 yrs old. Started preparing for MCAT 2015 in January, but my preps haven't been consistent at all to say the least. I haven't been able to cover the review material even once yet. I work full time as in a Senior Leadership Role with a Healthcare organization in Canada. I was hoping to apply this yr for the Fall 2016 cycle. I realize I am late now. I have my MCAT scheduled for June 20th but I doubt I will be able to take it. Wondering if there are folks in a similar situation. How much study time is truly required for the new MCAT? Would Kaplan and Exam Crackers suffice? Dont want to spend too much time (1/2 yrs ) prepping for MCAT as it seems like a small part of the overall application, especially for the Non Trads based on my understanding.

The MCAT is not a small part of the application by any means. Actually, I would argue that it's the most important part of your application.

That said, I took the April MCAT and prepped while working full time. I used Kaplan's books for content review, Khan for practice questions, and AAMC's materials for practice tests and passages. If you can buckle down and finish reviewing material in the next 1-2 weeks, you could still probably be okay to test in June, but it will be a lot of work. Don't focus too much on the nitty gritty details of reviewing...the new MCAT heavily tests on application of understanding general concepts.

The MCAT is not a small part of the application by any means. Actually, I would argue that it's the most important part of your application.

That said, I took the April MCAT and prepped while working full time. I used Kaplan's books for content review, Khan for practice questions, and AAMC's materials for practice tests and passages. If you can buckle down and finish reviewing material in the next 1-2 weeks, you could still probably be okay to test in June, but it will be a lot of work. Don't focus too much on the nitty gritty details of reviewing...the new MCAT heavily tests on application of understanding general concepts.

did you find the old aamc full lengths useful? i used up all my practice exams (kap and the new aamc full length) and im wondering what i should do my last 2 weeks of prep. do you have any suggestions?

I'm not sure about @rachiie01, but if found myself wishing I had done more of the khan academy questions, after I took the exam a couple weeks ago. Maybe of you haven't done those already, give them a try?

I agree that the Khan Academy questions were pretty helpful, especially the discrete ones.

I used the bio sections from the old AAMC exams 8-11. They won't seem very much like the new bio section because it's very biochem heavy, but I think it helped me get used to interpreting data on the MCAT. I also used the question packs and saw a lot of recycled passages and questions in those from the old exams, so if you've done those then the old exams won't provide much new material for you.

Wow. I've been waiting four years to post in this year's thread. I'm actually kind of emotional about it right now, sitting here.

...I mean, just some sand in my eye. Pardon me.

Done with pre-reqs, MCAT over with. Started the applications yesterday. With 450+ credits -- yes, you read that right -- over the course of my life, it took quite a while to enter it all into both AMCAS and AACOMAS, hah. Working on getting all my transcripts sent from the right place to the right place with the right form at the moment. Still working on PS, having some serious writer's block.

But I'll be ready by June. Oh yes. I'll be ready.

Edit: I'm a 34 (35 in July) year old ex-teacher turned ER nurse with a background in theatre.

Reactions: 12 users
Still working on PS, having some serious writer's block.

When I set out to write mine I was getting pretty frustrated thinking about all the various stories or angles I could tell in my statement. I ended up writing several vignettes about all my ideas which helped me narrow down on what I thought the best ones were and built an essay out of them.

Not sure if it will help, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.

When I set out to write mine I was getting pretty frustrated thinking about all the various stories or angles I could tell in my statement. I ended up writing several vignettes about all my ideas which helped me narrow down on what I thought the best ones were and built an essay out of them.

Might give that a shot this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Very excited to apply this cycle with you guys. Best of luck to everyone! We can do itttttt :)

I consider myself both non traditional and an underdog. I'm emptying my savings and applying broadly. Good luck to those of you who are probably doing the same!!!!

I've been a reader for PS' as I've been winding down at my job and had some time to read. The best advice I can give is that stories win out over disjointed experiences. Less is more for personal statements and it's better to have a coherent, well written, and 'flowy' piece, than to have a PS which is bogged down by rough transitions.

Your idea is awesome. This is what I suggested to people I was helping:

Write down a list of your experiences and patient experiences that are meaningful to you in a way that can answer 'why medicine'. Patient vignettes are great here because they are good branching off points and good connections for experiences. Craft a narrative of an experience you've had and why it made you interested in medicine and how it shows your drive. These things don't have to be related to medicine, but you should have a substantial tie in to why medicine.

Read your essay out loud to yourself to gauge flow and syntax issues. If it sounds funny or you run out of breath while reading a sentence... it probably needs to be fixed.

All transcript requests finally out. Listening to the rain outside and working on the PS. Hope everyone's chugging along out there!

Re-writing PS after being told it was a nice story but did not succinctly answer "why" ... grrrr @ me :)

That sucks.

I finally completed all three applications.

When I get my Spring grades (any day now) and my last letter (next week) I can submit AACOMAS and TMDSAS.

Submitted applications to 8 schools (what I could afford) today. I'll add the rest of the schools on this Friday when I get paid!

Edit: I'm a 34 (35 in July) year old ex-teacher turned ER nurse with a background in theatre.

Hope you liked teaching because if you become a physician, you're never going to stop teaching. Or learning for that matter!

Good luck.

Welp, I broke AACOMAS. Managed to hit a technical problem that even the service rep said she'd never seen before, and they've got to investigate and call me back. Only me, haha!

Hope you liked teaching because if you become a physician, you're never going to stop teaching. Or learning for that matter!

Good luck.

Thank you. And yes actually, I do love teaching. ;)

At least you got the glitch early in the process! Still plenty of time before apps are even sent to schools. How are my fellow nontrads approaching the EC sections of the various apps? Are y'all listing everything, or cherry picking activites to list that fit a theme?

At least you got the glitch early in the process! Still plenty of time before apps are even sent to schools. How are my fellow nontrads approaching the EC sections of the various apps? Are y'all listing everything, or cherry picking activites to list that fit a theme?

I had to cherry pick to some degree, as 15 entries can't cover everything. I've tried to use the ones I felt were most relevant (not all health-related, I've got some oddballs in there to reflect an oddball life), and made it heavier on more recent ones.

What I'm trying to get right now is a sense of is how to write the descriptions. I've put them in in the style I'd write on a resume, using professional language. Though now I'm not sure if that's better or if I should be writing a short narrative (using "I" and whatnot).

I cut older things and focused on the work I did leading to my post-bac and during my post-bac.

There are a lot of threads where people talk about work/activities, but I went with my gut.

TMDSAS (300 char) - Short, professional blurb.
AACOMAS (600 char) - Short, professional blurb followed by a first-person narrative of what I learned.
AMCAS (700 char) - Professional blurb followed by narrative. The exception is for my three most meaningful activities, I cut the narrative and extended the blurb. I then expanded upon the narrative in the 1325 extra characters allowed.

I don't know if this is right, but it is how I would speak about the experiences, so I chose to write them as such.

Hi all. Those of you with kids (anyone?) are you mentioning this at all in your application? On the one hand, I'd like to point out that I rocked my post-bac and did abysmally on my MCAT while working part time and having/taking care of three kids, but on the other hand, I worry that ad comms will look at my family situation and decide that I won't be able to handle the rigors of med school. Thoughts?

My son had some pretty severe health issues while I was taking my pre-reqs. I have no plan to say anything about this but then my GPA through pre-med pre-reqs is pretty good.

To me - and my advice is free ;) - I would leave it out and address somehow in an interview; "Oh yea, I was so busy taking care of three kids and working and do all of their activities and helping with homework that at times I wondered when I slept!??!? " with a perfect smile ... it does not use your kids as an excuse but alludes to the fact that you are capable of far more than just studying and in fact, already have accomplished far more than just being a book junkie.

Overwhelmed with gratitude to be MS1 in August, looking for ways to pay forward all the kind assistance I received on this journey as I remember this time last year...

All I can say is hang in there, guys, keep your head down and check one box at a time. Anyone who says this application year isn't draining is not shooting straight--especially if you are nontrads, juggling management of a family, taking classes, working, and then piling onto all of this, flying and driving around the country for interviews. No one will ever know what it takes for us to pull this off unless they've done it.

If there's one thing I would constrain you to get squared away, it's this: For a nontrad, you want to very clearly be able to answer the question, "Why now?" --for yourself first, then for the personal statement and the interviews. The PS readers and interviewers need to be able to follow a logical progression through your story that has led you to this point in your life where you believe medicine is right for you. This is worth the trouble to think through and figure out exactly how to articulate, as it will keep coming up over and over.

Don't let anyone tell you that you are too old for this. You can decide you are too old for it at any point along the arduous path, but no one else can make that call for you. Just one more layer of encouragement--I have never seen anyone as old as I am on SDN as a premed, so if I'm not too old, you definitely are not.

Reactions: 11 users
Don't let anyone tell you that you are too old for this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Just one more layer of encouragement--I have never seen anyone as old as I am on SDN as a premed, so if I'm not too old, you definitely are not.

Tried to send you a PM but you are hidden ... weaving the "Why now" is easy, just lengthy... succinction :D has not always been my strong suit, though I am learning.

I'm finally pleased with my PS draft so now it's off to the editors. Hoping that they don't rip it apart too much, I'm kind of attached to it. Has anyone else noticed that it's taking a long time for AMCAS to acknowledge they've received your LORs?