2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mcat scores released on the 21st, completed at most schools before the end of july. Silence on all fronts. Hoping to hear something soon and that i get an ii before my first inevitable rejection. Congrats to all those with IIs streaming in. Just a wee bit jealous!

Submitted my 7th secondary this afternoon, with many left to go. I think/hope we're still ok!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Mcat scores released on the 21st, completed at most schools before the end of july. Silence on all fronts. Hoping to hear something soon and that i get an ii before my first inevitable rejection. Congrats to all those with IIs streaming in. Just a wee bit jealous!

I would not worry at all right now. Yes, some schools seem to have a staff on speed (Tulane, whaaaat), but the II I got this morning was from a school I'd been complete at since early July. And quite a few people who submitted secondaries after me got IIs before I did. It's definitely not a first-in-first-II'd process.

Take a breath. They will come!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it certainly doesnt seem to go in complete chronological order. And then it seems like everyone has at least one technical mishap with one of their schools (tulane for me!). It is important, and difficult, to keep in mind that it is still very early in the cycle. But i truly am glad to see my fellow non trads getting some early validation!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My technical difficulties of late: submitted a secondary to a certain school in early July, but was unable to log in to their payment portal and so wasn't complete. After a few phone calls and some emailing, the school notified me that they had, in fact, received my payment and my app was marked complete...not actually possible, so in all my honest glory I emailed them to tell them I still owed them money, and could they advise me on how to pay them since their portal wouldn't work. No reply for a couple weeks, until I received an email saying I still owed them money. Of course I contacted once again, trying to sort out the payment portal issue...and then later that day received another email letting me know my app is complete. I think they probably just threw it in the trash so they don't have to deal with me anymore.

Just had the experience of submitting a secondary to one of my top schools and the Internet at the coffeeshop glitched. Almost freaked out. Luckily everything appears to have made it through ok.
Anyone else struggling with all of the different ways that secondaries are trying to get at the same questions? I was super proud of my personal statement but most of my secondaries feel like a poor representation of me because I'm trying to figure out what they want.

Just had the experience of submitting a secondary to one of my top schools and the Internet at the coffeeshop glitched. Almost freaked out. Luckily everything appears to have made it through ok.
Anyone else struggling with all of the different ways that secondaries are trying to get at the same questions? I was super proud of my personal statement but most of my secondaries feel like a poor representation of me because I'm trying to figure out what they want.

I was and am struggling as well with them . However, I already complete 21 secondaries and I think that I am getting better at it. IMHO, and what I learned so far is that I believe that the admission committee care or less for you answer or what you think in the majority of the cases. I think that they are more concerned about your thought process and interpretation of the question. Off course you have to use your personal traits experience to answer them. Like my friend who is a doctor told me: Doctors and admission committee people have heard all types of things. They want to make sure if you are able to "illustrate" backup what you are saying with solid examples, not fancy or complicated. THIS IS MY 2 CENTS, so take with a grain of salt . I hate writing and I am not very good at it. I tend to keep simple and direct. Maybe someone with more experience can help you out. But anyways I'll provide you with a couple examples of my own. Don't mind the grammar-structure.

Poor example ( I used to write like this):
"When I am a doctor I will advocate for the poor, sick and commit my career to provide healthcare access to all at all costs"

Better in my opnion:
" When I volunteered in the ER, I met a patient who lost his finger because of an untreated bacterial infection. This outcome could have been easily prevented if he had seek healthcare in the first few days. However, the patient lived in a rural area and could not afford to sick health care until was an emergency. I hope to dedicate my career to serve people like these and others, by providing health care........ and advocating for patients like these in political spheres ........ also I plan to use technological advances to help provide healthcare to rural areas.......... yadaydayda"

My formula to approach them (Generally).

1- Read the question and understand EXACTLY what they are asking. I usually highlight "the elements"
2-Describe a short anectode realating to the question
3- what you learned
4-How yo want-planto help ( or elements trait that you posses learned)
5- wrap it up and tell how much you love medicine

another one
Q: " How would you CONTRIBUTE to the Diversity of this med school class and medical community yada yada yada...

A: - describe shortly some experiences with diversity( when I was an undergard there were people from Angola that did not speak english but we became friends or places that you lived or what ever)
- What skills I learned from it . (aspects of different cultures, language skills, belief ....)
- My personal take on them ( Despite the fact we are different, I came to appreciate and understand their point of view......)
-How they relate to medicine and Contribute to class or whatever and cite a couple of examples how this skills can be used. ( when I am doctor I will try not observe the patient, but to understand what cultural social aspects that are leading them to feel-behave in certain way by trying see the world through their eyes .... my language skills and broad life experiences will help me understand the patients and school mates.... .)

Anyways,

That is just my take and I am really bad at writing but I think this approach helps me out to keep simple and concise.

Edit: I am working on this question right now and this how I figure what they want.

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This afternoon I had the pleasure of receiving my final rejection from last cycle. Lol

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

Rush? :D

This afternoon I had the pleasure of receiving my final rejection from last cycle. Lol

Today is the first day of the rest of your life! (And you've got IIs already, take no prisoners!)

Also, realized Hofstra's hold music is the same as AACOMAS'.

...the things you notice in this process, man.

Last edited:
man, you are killing this cycle. Leave some II for the rest of us! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When were you complete at most schools?

@Eccesignum Would you like to write some of my secondaries? You're certainly doing something right!

Currently at 8 submitted, and several ranging from 3/4 finished to nothing done. Hum de dum...

Congrats! When were you complete at most schools?

Looking at my spreadsheet, of the ones I have interviews at I was complete mostly in mid-July. Latest with a II so far was 7/28. Shortest time between secondary and II was three days, longest has been six weeks.

Not much of a pattern :)

@Eccesignum Would you like to write some of my secondaries? You're certainly doing something right!

Currently at 8 submitted, and several ranging from 3/4 finished to nothing done. Hum de dum...

Only thing I've done right so far is to keep on truckin'. They do start to feel overwhelming but set deadlines for yourself and get away from distractions. You can do it!

I officially hit a wall. My writing is not productive anymore (by my own standards= ENG 101) , spent all day yesterday and today to write a s... piece of paper.......... I am stuck on my 22-23 secondaries and still have 8-9 to go( I left the harder and longer secondaries for last)...... I need to recup- rejuv-rejoice......... And after I finish these secondaries I still need to fill out my AACOMAS (late, I know) and apply to some DO schools. Feeling unmotivated and :blackeye:. All I have been doing for the past 45 day is writing. I know everyone at the Starbuks by my house, I get free drinks and treats lol. I met a neurosurgeon who is studying for his boards and plenty other people there . Oh well, I am not the only one...... Gotta keep on pushing :zip:.

Last edited:
I officially hit a wall. My writing is not productive anymore (by my own standards= ENG 101) , spent all day yesterday and today to write a s... piece of paper.......... I am stuck on my 22-23 secondaries and still have 8-9 to go( I left the harder and longer secondaries for last)...... I need to recup- rejuv-rejoice......... And after I finish these secondaries I still need to fill out my AACOMAS (late, I know) and apply to some DO schools. Feeling unmotivated and :blackeye:. All I have been doing for the past 45 day is writing. I know everyone at the Starbuks by my house, I get free drinks and treats lol. I met a neurosurgeon who is studying for his boards and plenty other people there . Oh well, I am not the only one...... Gotta keep on pushing :zip:.
Totally feel you. I'm through 30 and have 6 MD left (assuming the last three secondaries come in) and 5 more DO. If you need permission from somebody for some reason, let me be the one to say: take a day off. Stare into the middle distance. Eat a large salad. Go for a hike. No writing! Take even two days off if you need to. I've done it several times, and it really helps me regain momentum.

That plus an occasional hail-Mary burst of "let the bstrds see me as I ammmmm!" That helps too.

Who knows what they really want?

Totally feel you. I'm through 30 and have 6 MD left (assuming the last three secondaries come in) and 5 more DO. If you need permission from somebody for some reason, let me be the one to say: take a day off. Stare into the middle distance. Eat a large salad. Go for a hike. No writing! Take even two days off if you need to. I've done it several times, and it really helps me regain momentum.

That plus an occasional hail-Mary burst of "let the bstrds see me as I ammmmm!" That helps too.

Who knows what they really want?

Thanks for the motivation.

I can't relax if I know I have a lot stuff to do it. The only way I can get my mind off is if there are waves and I go surf or go train-fight. However, the swell forecast looks pretty grim for the next few days :wacky: and I can not afford my dojo fees at the moment.

Also, I've been writing some pretty "deep s..." in some of my secondaries.
When they ask about my values and perspectives -self-reflection... I can go from very scientific designing experiment/research to seeing others without prejudice teaches love, and that loving others is freeing and etc......... :xf:

Thanks for the motivation.

I can't relax if I know I have a lot stuff to do it. The only way I can get my mind off is if there are waves and I go surf or go train-fight. However, the swell forecast looks pretty grim for the next few days :wacky: and I can not afford my dojo fees at the moment.

Also, I've been writing some pretty "deep s..." in some of my secondaries.
When they ask about my values and perspectives -self-reflection... I can go from very scientific designing experiment/research to seeing others without prejudice teaches love, and that loving others is freeing and etc......... :xf:
Hahah that's legitimately awesome. :)
Just avoid telling them about the ayahuasca gnomes and you're probably golden.

There's a decent chance that somewhere in these last ten secondaries I'm going to go full Planet X.

You will not go alone! I am tagging up on this journey as well !!! I am commencing take off procedures..............

Weekends, fft.

Happy Monday, all. Let the frantic email refreshing resume!

(or well, we know it never really stopped, but at least now there might actually be emails in there)

market open 1_0.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
You guys will appreciate this in ways nobody else can. Had a dream Saturday night that I was at an interview.

Except I somehow forgot to change before I walked in, and ended up sitting down to in a wrinkled set of scrubs that I'd just been to work in. Then realized halfway through that I hadn't changed and grabbed my suit out of my suitcase but it was wrinkled and my hair was a mess, and my interviewer hated me. Then I accidentally had access to the Dean's comments on the school portal after the interview, and he was writing that he didn't think I could hack it. The Dean came around the corner and told me I had twenty seconds to make a case for myself while he was walking to the elevator, so I tried to give him the points I've been working on in real life about why I liked X school but it came out horribly wrong and he just shook his head and disappeared into the elevator. Then my magically-hacked school portal stopped working so I couldn't see his final decision. Then I woke up.

This is going to be a long autumn, lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Dude, getting two IIs in the first week ruined me. I NEED MORE!! MOAAAAR!

Oh why oh why oh why are there not more. :(((

I'm a grotesque shell of entitlement and need. LOVE ME.

Reactions: 7 users
I wish I was in your shoes @pageantry!! I got held up by transcripts and LORs and am just now getting emails about being under review. :(

I wish I was in your shoes @pageantry!! I got held up by transcripts and LORs and am just now getting emails about being under review. :(

I'm in the same boat! Logically I know that no school will have had enough time to read my material yet, but that doesn't quell the smoldering need to go to my email and hit refresh.

Yeah there's no doubt I got super lucky this cycle. I know my advisor did my letters way early and my IIs were from (low stats) schools where I was complete in mid July.

I know I'm being ridiculous. :p

I heap any good luck I have into our collective bowl!

I have every e-mail ending with *.edu given high priority and to my inbox, so now alumni emails keep giving me mini heart attacks. Then I realize I didn't apply to school there...

I'm trying to get psyched up and finish all the secondaries before I get my first rejection notice (one of the George's apparently kicks you rather swiftly!). At the same time I'm starting to realize there's a chance I could go through all this and still get rejected everywhere. Needless to say, that doesn't make the essays come any easier.

I recently stumbled upon this though. Interesting read...

25th secondaries (MD) submitted :punch:!!! Decided to not complete a few. So, I only have 4 more on my queue to finish........ and still waiting for one last secondary from UCSF ( I think that I got screened out). Then, I need to focus my attentions to a few DOs schools. Never ending process..... got keep on:zip:.

I hope that this week will be fruitful for all my nontrads comrades. We will fight, scrabble and even fall sometimes. BUT WE WILL PERSEVERE ......
SHOW US SOME LOVE ADMISSION COMMITTEES from all over the country:xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone think it's too late to submit secondaries to a couple more schools? I meant to be all done by August 1, and then work/life got crazy for a couple weeks and I still have a few that I had originally intended to submit but now I'm wondering if I'm just donating money by submitting a secondary. Also, this might just be too much SDN neuroticism speaking...

Anyone think it's too late to submit secondaries to a couple more schools? I meant to be all done by August 1, and then work/life got crazy for a couple weeks and I still have a few that I had originally intended to submit but now I'm wondering if I'm just donating money by submitting a secondary. Also, this might just be too much SDN neuroticism speaking...

I'm still submitting secondaries. I'm pretty sure we're at the half-way point for applicants being verified, so many schools will have secondaries rolling in for awhile...

From what i've read, we are now in the first 1/3-1/2 part of the the application cycle (not for hearing back from schools, just for applying). It certainly isn't too late.

Howard just released their first secondaries yesterday so you're definitely still good there.

BTW, have you guys noticed if you go to your your profile page, then click on "trophies" and then on the "smilies" options (top left) , it shows the name of all the emojis, I misinterpreted a lot of them. HA, I've been spending wayyyyy too much time on SDN.... :hungover:.

I don't know which is worse. Getting a rejection, or apparently being stuck in limbo with no communication. No II's yet and no rejections yet - being a gpa recovery person I thought I would get a bunch of rejections fairly quickly, but apparently not yet.

Got waitlisted today for an interview at UC Davis. Better than an outright rejection I guess!

I don't know which is worse. Getting a rejection, or apparently being stuck in limbo with no communication. No II's yet and no rejections yet - being a gpa recovery person I thought I would get a bunch of rejections fairly quickly, but apparently not yet.

I'm expecting to wait awhile. Nontrads are challenging to compare with the standard 21 year old, so I think there will be more contemplation involved.

Started watching this video on interviewing this morning and I'm finding it quite interesting. Some of it is geared specifically to the younger crowd, but even those sections are good to watch for perspective.

(Note: It's a 2-part video; if you watch directly on youtube you can see the link for the second half)

I'm expecting to wait awhile. Nontrads are challenging to compare with the standard 21 year old, so I think there will be more contemplation involved.
I find myself wondering this as well. I have been complete since July 23 at a range of schools and have only received one II which I knew was coming anyway.

Does anyone know if we are looked at in "different groups" and therefore on a different timeline than all the normal premed applicants?

Does anyone know if we are looked at in "different groups" and therefore on a different timeline than all the normal premed applicants?

No, we aren't. There are many factors that contribute to when II's come out, but people above X age aren't just culled and lumped together to consider later. I've had two schools get back to me within a week. The rest have taken longer. One took over six weeks. I'm approaching a month on my later submissions now.

The sheer number of people who've applied in this process is staggering, and it takes time to get through them. Some may have seen your app and decided to wait a bit on you. Some may still be going through the thousands of applications that came in before July 23rd. There are people in threads from last year who submitted secondaries in July and didn't get IIs until January.

Every school's going to do it its own way, so don't worry too much about it. All any of us can do is wait.

No, we aren't. There are many factors that contribute to when II's come out, but people above X age aren't just culled and lumped together to consider later. I've had two schools get back to me within a week. The rest have taken longer. One took over six weeks. I'm approaching a month on my later submissions now.

The sheer number of people who've applied in this process is staggering, and it takes time to get through them. Some may have seen your app and decided to wait a bit on you. Some may still be going through the thousands of applications that came in before July 23rd. There are people in threads from last year who submitted secondaries in July and didn't get IIs until January.

Every school's going to do it its own way, so don't worry too much about it. All any of us can do is wait.
That all makes sense of course but it would also make sense to me if nontrads are compared to other nontrads and traditional students were compared together.

Either way it doesn't affect the fact that we are patiently waiting. Thanks for the reply.

That all makes sense of course but it would also make sense to me if nontrads are compared to other nontrads and traditional students were compared together.

Either way it doesn't affect the fact that we are patiently waiting. Thanks for the reply.

I think if anything, schools consider "fit" on paper before anything else. If you're applying to a school that values long histories of community service and your story emphasizes that, you'll rise to the top of the pile faster. Same vein, if at a school that values research you've only got minimal research experience, you'll probably sink on the priority list. And of course, your plain stats and how they compare to others applying, but nothing's in a vacuum. Lot of concurrent variables.

Here's another one I just stumbled over. Absolutely loved this talk.