2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A school I've submitted/completed sent me a big packet that was.....A BROCHURE!!

WHAT THE F.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's another one I just stumbled over. Absolutely loved this talk.

Thanks for sharing that. I just finished watching, very nice talk.
I always wonder is how someone who is early 20's and have not "experienced" much/ have been in "diverse situations" in life and have been "sheltered" can honestly develop compassion. The majority of med school applicants come from privileged backgrounds, I just wondered how they can really understand financial difficulties and other problems that they never been exposed. IMHO opinion compassion is when you take yourself from the "observer position" and put yourself "on someones shoes" and try to understand why and what they are feeling/behaving in certain way. Like I say, I may be real wrong about that but I often wonder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I've been ii'd by Quinnipiac. *happy dance*

Reactions: 9 users
Aw thanks, guys! Go team!

Reactions: 2 users
"Incessantly refreshing my email account" :nailbiting:
NADA on my end this week so far, I guess no news are good news.

Complete silence for over a week here too...

*refresh refresh refresh*

I have a good friend who applied non-traditional last year. He didn't hear back from any schools after the secondaries until October. He started at Albany two weeks ago. He loves the school already and will be a fantastic physician.

So as much as I keep hitting refresh-refresh-refresh, I keep trying to tell myself that it's still early in the game and it could be months until I hear back and things still work out great.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a good friend who applied non-traditional last year. He didn't hear back from any schools after the secondaries until October. He started at Albany two weeks ago. He loves the school already and will be a fantastic physician.

So as much as I keep hitting refresh-refresh-refresh, I keep trying to tell myself that it's still early in the game and it could be months until I hear back and things still work out great.

Perfectly good point.

Don't worry.

I can stop refreshing anytime I want.

*refresh refresh refresh*

Reactions: 5 users
This past week: some battles were lost, some won, some ....nothing happen. The war still going on next week. I believe that the schools are probably swamped right now, since most MCAT and LOR are in for most applicants. Have a happy weekend my friends and be prepared for the upcoming battles next week. :)

Reactions: 1 users
This past week: some battles were lost, some won, some ....nothing happen. The war still going on next week. I believe that the schools are probably swamped right now, since most MCAT and LOR are in for most applicants. Have a happy weekend my friends and be prepared for the upcoming battles next week. :)
I've decided that whenever I get my first rejection i'm just going to move that school to the bottom of my spreadsheet, way way out of sight. Dead to me. Because you know what? They can't handle all this. *gestures broadly at self, computer, half-empty bottle of tequila*

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i had some battles this week. Instead it was nothing but cold, lonely isolation.

I've decided that whenever I get my first rejection i'm just going to move that school to the bottom of my spreadsheet, way way out of sight. Dead to me. Because you know what? They can't handle all this. *gestures broadly at self, computer, half-empty bottle of tequila*

thingsucantouch.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm waiting for my phone to say "Hey dude. Look. I get you. I get that you're anxious. I get that you wanna know if your future bae is emailing you. But jesus. You have been touching me WAY TOO MUCH so that you can check your email. You're getting desperate and I'm getting annoyed. So how about you chill the F out? OK!?!"

Submitted my 27th and probably final secondary today. Made some bonus cash this last week and was thinking about shooting for the moon and adding a couple super reach schools but decided it's probably better to have the money in case I get any interviews across the country. GLAD TO BE DONE WITH SECONDARIES.

Has anybody thought about stopping in at the admissions office after sending out a secondary? A friend of mine, currently an MD, told me to do this but I kinda wonder if it's really a good idea....

I don't know. I live near Stanford and have competitive scores but crap experience for getting in there so I am considering doing a trial cameo appearance there cause you know...nothing to lose really....

thoughts?

Has anybody thought about stopping in at the admissions office after sending out a secondary? A friend of mine, currently an MD, told me to do this but I kinda wonder if it's really a good idea....

I don't know. I live near Stanford and have competitive scores but crap experience for getting in there so I am considering doing a trial cameo appearance there cause you know...nothing to lose really....

thoughts?

I wouldn't do it. Sounds like a good way to earn yourself a negative flag.

Other post baccs at my school have spoken highly of showing up at a school's open house, tho. Apparently that's landed a few interviews.

Other post baccs at my school have spoken highly of showing up at a school's open house, tho. Apparently that's landed a few interviews.

Oh yeah, open houses are a whole other animal. I've been to a few.

I thought the poster was talking about randomly showing up at the admissions office.

Oh yeah, open houses are a whole other animal. I've been to a few.

I thought the poster was talking about randomly showing up at the admissions office.
He was.

Yeah common sense tells us its a bad idea. But seriously wtf is with my MD friend? anyway. what. ever.

Would have been a good way to kill all this time between now and whatever happens next though!

He was.

Yeah common sense tells us its a bad idea. But seriously wtf is with my MD friend? anyway. what. ever.

Would have been a good way to kill all this time between now and whatever happens next though!

Be strong, brother.

Meditate on SandwichCat. He will guide you.

catsandwich.jpg

No more cats!!!

My cat got earmites last week and I had to clean his ears out then give him drops everyday for a week. I'm so glad it's over. (probably)
The poor guy was just like "NOO!! NOT AGAIN!!"

Can't say enough about the sandwich though. PB&J. Good choice.

I'm new to this and won't be applying for a few cycles. What does "II" mean?

Welcome to the party. I think many of us have haunted progress threads of years past, so don't be afraid to ask things. We've all had to do it at some point.

II means interview invite.

This silence is killing me:

" refresh-refresh-refresh"

This silence is killing me:

" refresh-refresh-refresh"
Yup complete silence here too. Just finished the summer quarter on Friday and am taking this week off from work. Been at the coast with family for a little reunion, so at least I had a good distraction and no cell service for a little bit.

Having no responses is a bit unnerving, especially considering I am expecting some quick rejections with GPA repair like mine.

I only have two more secondaries MDs app to submit-never ending writing. I am wondering if I am too late to fill out the AACOMAS app and apply for about 6-7 schools as safety. I have not done any research on the schools that I want to apply yet. My plan was to be done with all my MDs secondaries before August ( huge miscalc on my part), and now I am wondering if is it worth it? I have no idea on the process and timeline for DO schools, but I remember people telling me that they run a little later than AMCAS. anyone suggestions from my fellow non-trads?

I only have two more secondaries MDs app to submit-never ending writing. I am wondering if I am too late to fill out the AACOMAS app and apply for about 6-7 schools as safety. I have not done any research on the schools that I want to apply yet. My plan was to be done with all my MDs secondaries before August ( huge miscalc on my part), and now I am wondering if is it worth it? I have no idea on the process and timeline for DO schools, but I remember people telling me that they run a little later than AMCAS. anyone suggestions from my fellow non-trads?

From what I have seen (and I'm no expert, you might want to consult the great @Goro ), it's not yet too late to start up DO but you might want to get on it. I do know that some DO schools haven't even started looking at applications yet (Touro Harlem told me they don't start til Sept 1st and VCOM said mid-Sept). Small sampling but might be representative from what I've seen in old threads.

You have plenty of time to work on DO apps. The cycle is longer than than for MD and even if you app is in bny Dec, you're fine.

Hey I just noticed on my app, under "SES DISADVANTAGED" the system autofilled: "unknown." Anyone know what that means to/about my app? Why would it put that?

I specifically chose to not identify as "disadvantaged" under the essay section, fwiw, even though I def qualify for various reasons. Just didn't feel good about it.

Hey I just noticed on my app, under "SES DISADVANTAGED" the system autofilled: "unknown." Anyone know what that means to/about my app? Why would it put that?

I specifically chose to not identify as "disadvantaged" under the essay section, fwiw, even though I def qualify for various reasons. Just didn't feel good about it.

That particular section is done according to the occupations and education levels you reported for your parents.

From AAMC: Unknown is used in scenarios in which the SES Disadvantaged Indicator cannot be determined because parent occupation is listed as Military, Homemaker, Other Occupation, Don’t Know, or Not Applicable.

https://www.aamc.org/students/services/332852/aftersubshared3.8.html

Ohhhhh I guess I could have looked that up myself. Thank you!

Also, hold me please, I'm cold. :(

you're a FIREWOMAN?

I'm going to *build* a medical school so I can accept you to it.

Nope, I'm an RN with a second job in EMS (dem bills doe). We're based at fire stations but in this county EMS and fire are separate.

Nope, I'm an RN with a second job in EMS (dem bills doe). We're based at fire stations but in this county EMS and fire are separate.

Deflect all you want. I already hired the architect. Doop dee doo...

Nurse/EMS(or EMT) doesn't exactly sound less impressive.

If you could see my shift partner outside right now strutting around the bay with a mop to "I'm Too Sexy"...

...you might change your opinion of us :D

And BTW what. You're in the frickin' Navy. My turn to feel inadequate!
I'm proud of my job, but I don't serve people in the capacity I have wanted to, hence the applications for medical school. Unfortunately I have had to remedy significant previous academic underachievement and I'm a backup candidate for most places.

edit: Actually this is a good place to mention this.

I am disappointed I didn't retake the MCAT. Everyone told me my MCAT was good, which it is but it's not great. So I decided not to retake it, not realizing how much a better score could have helped offset my initial undergrad GPA.

edit: Actually this is a good place to mention this.

I am disappointed I didn't retake the MCAT. Everyone told me my MCAT was good, which it is but it's not great. So I decided not to retake it, not realizing how much a better score could have helped offset my initial undergrad GPA.

o_O Your MCAT beat up my MCAT in the parking lot.

o_O Your MCAT beat up my MCAT in the parking lot.
I was definitely not under the impression that this was the case lol. I admittedly haven't really looked at others' stats this cycle though. It stressed me out too much last year.

And hey don't you have like 5 million interviews? ;)