2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was definitely not under the impression that this was the case lol. I admittedly haven't really looked at others' stats this cycle though. It stressed me out too much last year.

And hey don't you have like 5 million interviews? ;)

That's because I applied to seven million schools. You applied to one, from what I can tell :p

http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=29570 Those are my stats if you ever do want to know; I don't link MDapps to my name right now as people in the pre-allo section seem to get quite hostile about stats. But this board is much more chill.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That's because I applied to seven million schools. You applied to one, from what I can tell :p

I applied to more than one this year, but only one last year. I wish I had the latitude to apply to some more, but I had a very large list and realistically couldn't have attended so many of them if I got in that I had to whittle it down.

I applied to more than one this year, but only one last year. I wish I had the latitude to apply to some more, but I had a very large list and realistically couldn't have attended so many of them if I got in that I had to whittle it down.

Are you thinking about doing Navy HPSP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was definitely not under the impression that this was the case lol. I admittedly haven't really looked at others' stats this cycle though. It stressed me out too much last year.

And hey don't you have like 5 million interviews? ;)

I think above 33 (?) you're in the realm where extra points aren't nearly as significant. It's a great score, and nothing you should feel underwhelmed about. Hopefully things will turn up well this year for you!

Anyone else fearful of getting their first rejection before hearing anything from other schools? I could use a morale-boost right now. In lieu of that, and returning to cats, I'd suggest anyone else feeling similarly should search 'Dear Kitten' on YouTube. (Note: I'm a sucker for animals.) It's the type of commercial I don't mind watching.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you thinking about doing Navy HPSP?
I am. My main stipulation is that I am not going to get out of the military. So I am only going to either the military medical school (USUHS) or to another school through a military program. I would switch services if required but it seems that's harder than just getting out and getting back in.

I think above 33 (?) you're in the realm where extra points aren't nearly as significant. It's a great score, and nothing you should feel underwhelmed about. Hopefully things will turn up well this year for you!

Anyone else fearful of getting their first rejection before hearing anything from other schools? I could use a morale-boost right now. In lieu of that, and returning to cats, I'd suggest anyone else feeling similarly should search 'Dear Kitten' on YouTube. (Note: I'm a sucker for animals.) It's the type of commercial I don't mind watching.

My very first communication was a rejection pre-secondary from a DO school, if that helps any.

I'd be psyched to hear ANYTHING. I feel like I've been a habitual email checker since I took the MCAT in April. Wait for score, wait for secondary, wait for II. I've started like 5 new hobbies just to kill the time.

My very first communication was a rejection pre-secondary from a DO school, if that helps any.

Not that you haven't gotten over that one, but I like the idea of an 'Update' with a picture of your calendar of II's. Possibly co-workers dancing/singing in the background. Then follow up with "Oops, wrong e-mail...."

I also got that rejection from Rocky Vista with stats that seemed to meet the req's. I emailed and got a response that their system had a problem receiving applicant info and so sent automated rejections. I got the secondary later that day.

I also got that rejection from Rocky Vista with stats that seemed to meet the req's. I emailed and got a response that their system had a problem receiving applicant info and so sent automated rejections. I got the secondary later that day.

Huh, I never did. Got pre-secondary rejected from Touro-NV same week too. STILL TRUCKIN' THOUGH.

swag.jpg

Not that you haven't gotten over that one, but I like the idea of an 'Update' with a picture of your calendar of II's. Possibly co-workers dancing/singing in the background. Then follow up with "Oops, wrong e-mail...."

:rofl:

@Eccesignum

You actually heard from Touro-NV? Still waiting for them.

I am getting pretty tired from this interview season already!

Members don't see this ad :)
and the silence treatment continues:sick:.....................
"refresh-refresh-refresh"

On the bright side I almost finished the Miami Miller Secondary BEAST and only have to do the Harvard one ( SUPER REACH, but I got a fee waiver and I am going go planet X on that one for sure since I don't have that good of grades).

I keep having fragmented dreams about the secondaries that I've already submitted... like sentences and paragraphs weirdly appear on my mind while I am sleeping and some other odd alternate realities :wacky:.

"refresh-refresh-refresh"

I'm haven't heard back from any of my 38 completed schools, but I'm currently interviewing for a job. The employer isn't aware of my plans for medical school... I'm concerned about getting time away from a new a job for med school interviews once they land.

Anyone else having concerns or anticipating issues around getting away from your full time job to travel to interviews once they arrive? Any tips or suggestions on navigating that process?

I'm haven't heard back from any of my 38 completed schools, but I'm currently interviewing for a job. The employer isn't aware of my plans for medical school... I'm concerned about getting time away from a new a job for med school interviews once they land.

Anyone else having concerns or anticipating issues around getting away from your full time job to travel to interviews once they arrive? Any tips or suggestions on navigating that process?
I absolutely am. Active duty military makes this very hard. Especially since my current community doesn't particularly want me to leave. They are ok with it, but every interview I attend or extra appointment I go to lowers my chances of a successful career if I DON'T get into med school.

I am too. Juggling two jobs and school this semester this is going to be a nightmare. I got very lucky in that my professors are supportive, and both my jobs are self-schedule in six week blocks, so so far there haven't been issues...but I know there very well may be later.

Are you uncomfortable telling your boss what's going on?

IMHO:
I just declined a "good job" offer in a hospital because of my interviews which I will be traveling a lot. I didn't want to have to quit that job in in a month and burn that bridge. However if you need the money I would do what is best for you: work for a little bit and quit. My take is: I am pretty invested at this point and will become a doctor no matter what, either MD, DO or Caribbean. So, I decided to use all my reserves these past few months to complete my applications and continue to enhance my app by volunteering/ shadowing.

Are you uncomfortable telling your boss what's going on?

Well the issue is that I'm actually just returning home from extended travel and don't have a permanent job, only a short term contract, and am interviewing for full time positions. Ideally, I would land one of these full time jobs for a year to stash some money away for living on during med school and then leave next fall to attend class.

Bringing up leaving in a year during a job interview can likely only hurt my chances, so it's not a topic I bring up. Plus I know that I may not get into school this cycle and could be working for more than a year. If I do land a job, the challenge will be arranging time off pretty early in the new position to travel for interviews.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
First school update! On-hold for re-review by GW. So... Nothing, really.

Positive side, this suggests I didn't accidentally curse in my essays, or come across as a complete sociopath. :=|:-):

Reactions: 7 users
Already ran into my first schedule conflict. First exam in ecology is right on my interview day at KCUMB.

Already ran into my first schedule conflict. First exam in ecology is right on my interview day at KCUMB.

Talk to the prof ASAP. I'm already missing two Friday tests, but the professor thanked me for letting her know so far ahead of time and is going to let me take them on an alternate date.

Talk to the prof ASAP. I'm already missing two Friday tests, but the professor thanked me for letting her know so far ahead of time and is going to let me take them on an alternate date.

Being early is huge. Professors are typically very willing to accommodate things like this as long as you let them know in advance.

Yeah, I did. He wants my interview confirmation email. Didn't sound too enthused though. We'll see. Thanks all.

Yeah, I did. He wants my interview confirmation email. Didn't sound too enthused though. We'll see. Thanks all.

The dishonest ruin it for the rest of us. Last year we had a whole big incident in my Biochem II class when two students forged doctor's notes to try and excuse the fact that they missed the midterm to go to Cancun.

That did not end well.

The dishonest ruin it for the rest of us. Last year we had a whole big incident in my Biochem II class when two students forged doctor's notes to try and excuse the fact that they missed the midterm to go to Cancun.

Holy crap, really? That is an automatic failure/class dismissal move.

That did not end well.

Crazy. Deliberate dishonesty like that should be grounds for auto failure, if not expulsion.

Oh, we've got lots of it. Back in Gen Chem we had to turn in lab notebooks in a book outside the TA's door. Someone stole mine, ripped out the front page, put their own name on it, and tried to turn it in as theirs. Luckily the TA knew my handwriting.

Verified in mid July. Have 4 IIs right now.

Reactions: 2 users
We always have people to try to change their answers and turn in tests for regrading. The fact that our school scans all exams before handing them back seems to escape them. Some people...

Last edited:
I took Biology 2 over the summer and just got my grade back. Is it worth it to email all the schools with the updated grade?

I took Biology 2 over the summer and just got my grade back. Is it worth it to email all the schools with the updated grade?
If it helps your GPA or keeps it the same or if you haven't taken other classes in the recent past I would say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for ya'll. Just finished summer term, and grades posted yesterday (but got them today - a teacher messed his grades first go around). I'm a bit disappointed in one class, and trying to decide if I should send our transcript updates. I took an upper level genetics and upper level molecular cell biology class. Got a 3.0 and a 3.9. I'm a non-trad, with GPA repair from 10 years ago. Since going back for premed 4 years ago, got my AA with a 3.78, and my last 45 credits have been an UW with a 3.68. Every single one of my classes has been curved to a 2.8 which is a bummer (since my AA fulfilled all the gen ed credits, I've only taken science classes which have that curve). It would bring my AMCAS (even though they don't recalc) from 2.99 to 3.02, sgpa from 3.32 to 3.34, but slightly bring down my UW GPA. Send updates or leave it be?

Question for ya'll. Just finished summer term, and grades posted yesterday (but got them today - a teacher messed his grades first go around). I'm a bit disappointed in one class, and trying to decide if I should send our transcript updates. I took an upper level genetics and upper level molecular cell biology class. Got a 3.0 and a 3.9. I'm a non-trad, with GPA repair from 10 years ago. Since going back for premed 4 years ago, got my AA with a 3.78, and my last 45 credits have been an UW with a 3.68. Every single one of my classes has been curved to a 2.8 which is a bummer (since my AA fulfilled all the gen ed credits, I've only taken science classes which have that curve). It would bring my AMCAS (even though they don't recalc) from 2.99 to 3.02, sgpa from 3.32 to 3.34, but slightly bring down my UW GPA. Send updates or leave it be?

I'm inclined to say update if only because it might squeak you past that dreaded 3.0 screen...but maybe PM Goro or someone who knows The System a bit better and ask.

Welp. Georgetown, you're dead to me.

Had to break the seal at some point. *shrug*

Reactions: 3 users
Welp. Georgetown, you're dead to me.

Had to break the seal at some point. *shrug*
I 100% understood what you meant but I can't help picturing you literally peeing on your Georgetown application. Haha thanks!

I 100% understood what you meant but I can't help picturing you literally peeing on your Georgetown application. Haha thanks!

Hahah dang and I here I was thinking "pop the cherry" might be too graphic. NOW I remember where I've heard that phrase before...

Your application lasted a lot longer there than mine did!
Honestly, I'm shocked. My app had a lot to do with struggling with foundational aspects of that school.

I guess I wasn't at the top of the stack, etc. :p

Honestly, I'm shocked. My app had a lot to do with struggling with foundational aspects of that school.

I guess I wasn't at the top of the stack, etc. :p

I was complete 8/10 and just waiting for the axe to fall. I probably shouldn't have mentioned in the secondary that the name makes me think of George Costanza. I also shouldn't have used his photo to inspire my own. I figure glasses make you look smarter though...

I was complete 8/10 and just waiting for the axe to fall. I probably shouldn't have mentioned in the secondary that the name makes me think of George Costanza. I also shouldn't have used his photo to inspire my own. I figure glasses make you look smarter though...
Haha yes we will likely both have to face many rejections of the basis of our intimidating sex appeal. Solidarity.

First II today from UCF!

Yay! I've been cheering for you since the non traditional thread last cycle....I'm sorry it didn't work out but I'm glad you were able to expand to a few more schools this time and things look bright! Good luck!

Yay! I've been cheering for you since the non traditional thread last cycle....I'm sorry it didn't work out but I'm glad you were able to expand to a few more schools this time and things look bright! Good luck!
Thanks :). I really like UCF as well so I'm looking forward to this interview day.