2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WHAT ELSE. Hey guess what! Just got another II! From Upstate! $23,000 cheaper than Georgetown SUCKIITT GEORGETOWN.

Jk I would have given an elbow for a gtown invite. Also I am a grownup. Also YESSSSSS!!!

OH SNAP, woooooooooooooooooooooo!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When you get woken up by a phone call from an area code where one of your silent schools are...

i-want-to-believe2.jpg

..and it's a telemarketer.

omg-rage-face2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
There goes another week of silence. Weekends are now just a time I know I won't get emails from schools. SDN is not good for neurosis, it feels like all the II's are quickly disappearing knowing that sdn is such a small fraction of the applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
There goes another week of silence. Weekends are now just a time I know I won't get emails from schools. SDN is not good for neurosis, it feels like all the II's are quickly disappearing knowing that sdn is such a small fraction of the applicant pool.

2 weeks of total SILÊNCIO on my end!
"Refresh-refresh-refresh"

... all the II's are quickly disappearing...

This is in no way shape or form true. It isn't even Labor Day yet.

Remember that orientation and classes are just starting at many schools, so administration have their hands full. Many of the school-specific threads seem to be in a II/rejection lull, and same happened last year from everything I've seen. SDN'ers also tend to be very early on the apps. A huge amount of people out in the sane world haven't even been verified yet.

I'm sure you know this already. It's easy to know the logic and yet still be panicked. But don't give yourself an ulcer in August; we've got a lonnnng way to go.

That's why the operative word was "feels".

It's like knowing that most people on SDN are going to be the people really on their game, and not exactly representative of the entire applicant pool (see; everyone seeming to have 70+ LizzyM). Makes you forget the average MCAT was a 25, the average matriculation MCAT is a 31, the average matriculation gpa is a 3.63, so the applicant pool and II pool is naturally going to be lower.

The thing I've always found statistically misleading however, is the MCAT stats; you don't have a very good distribution....almost no one gets in with lower than a 27ish, for the most part if you have anything above the mean you are matriculating, so your mean is at the very bottom of your range, and you only have outliers at the top (a 40 to 45 is getting in, a 20 to 15 is not). Which indicates there is actually more scores lower than the mean to offset the larger range above.

II today from my state school! Woooo! It was after almost a month of silence, so hang in there all you guys who are feeling neglected. Maybe you'll even hear something this weekend yet, since I've seen that some (evil) schools send things out on Saturdays (?!). No rest from the :nailbiting:, apparently.

Anyway, sending non-trad :love: for more good news for all soon!!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got my first II. I was complete at most schools around july 21st so i've been nervously thinking something is wrong with my app. Hope everyone else hears good news soon!

Two weeks of dead-silence has been broken this am with epic news, II :soexcited:.

Good luck my fellow non-trads:xf::xf::xf: :luck::luck::luck:. Keep positive!

Two weeks of dead-silence has been broken this am with epic news, II :soexcited:.

Congrats! I have high hopes for this week. (Same as last week, and next week!)

Congrats! It's really great to hear about so many interviews for this thread!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my first II. I was complete at most schools around july 21st so i've been nervously thinking something is wrong with my app. Hope everyone else hears good news soon!

+1 I received my first two II this week!! I was complete 7/2 for one of these schools too -- waiting is so difficult.

On another note some of the other schools have had me under review for over month??? :meh:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've now added a column in my spreadsheet so I can track the time from each 'complete' date to 'now'.... simply so I can easily track which schools have pained me for the longest. Maybe I'll add a color scale mirroring the homeland security alert codes. Two weeks is 'low', four is 'elevated', six is 'high', and eight is 'heart attack'. Thankfully (?) I'm only in the low to elevated region at the moment...

Reactions: 5 users
+1 I received my first two II this week!! I was complete 7/2 for one of these schools too -- waiting is so difficult.

On another note some of the other schools have had me under review for over month??? :meh:
That can definitely be frustrating.

One of the biggest issues is the difference in how schools report where you are at. Some update constantly and others you may go through several "wickets" before you see anything change.

I've been complete at 23 schools for at least a month (some going on two) and only heard from three of them. Some news has gotta be imminent, right? In other news, I am a volunteer adult literacy tutor and today will be my first lesson with a learner who knows practically no English. I'm pretty nervous, but excited. Here's hoping it goes smoothly, and also that we all hear some good news this week!

Reactions: 3 users
I've been complete at 23 schools for at least a month (some going on two) and only heard from three of them. Some news has gotta be imminent, right? In other news, I am a volunteer adult literacy tutor and today will be my first lesson with a learner who knows practically no English. I'm pretty nervous, but excited. Here's hoping it goes smoothly, and also that we all hear some good news this week!

Former ESOL/adult literacy teacher thumbs up!

If anyone is interested in healthcare policies/ethical decisions I just came across this interesting article about healthcare to undocumented immigrants. It talks specifically about a case in Texas, but it can be used as a general example.

http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2008/04/ccas1-0804.html

In a few of my secondaries I mentioned that I witnessed a few "illegal immigrants" encounters through my clinical experiences and that they suffered greatly by not having access to proper healthcare , pretty tragic stories IMO. I was worried that I used an anecdote specifically mentioning the term an "illegal immigrant" instead of saying "uninsured" immigrant, but anyways... I thought that I shot myself on the foot. But this am I got an II for the school that I used that anecdote.
Moral of the story: I found out that there is a huge gray area surrounding " care to illegals" and there are many layers that can be discussed. I personally like to know about these "hot topics" because they can be a great interview subject to be discussed, even tho if the person disagree with your opinion. I think it helps us to get get prepared to future interviews. IMO there is never a right or wrong answer for these topics, since they are never black and white. But I think it is good to understand the many point of views.

If anyone is interested in healthcare policies/ethical decisions I just came across this interesting article about healthcare to undocumented immigrants. It talks specifically about a case in Texas, but it can be used as a general example.

http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2008/04/ccas1-0804.html

In a few of my secondaries I mentioned that I witnessed a few "illegal immigrants" encounters through my clinical experiences and that they suffered greatly by not having access to proper healthcare , pretty tragic stories IMO. I was worried that I used an anecdote specifically mentioning the term an "illegal immigrant" instead of saying "uninsured" immigrant, but anyways... I thought that I shot myself on the foot. But this am I got an II for the school that I used that anecdote.
Moral of the story: I found out that there is a huge gray area surrounding " care to illegals" and there are many layers that can be discussed. I personally like to know about these "hot topics" because they can be a great interview subject to be discussed, even tho if the person disagree with your opinion. I think it helps us to get get prepared to future interviews. IMO there is never a right or wrong answer for these topics, since they are never black and white. But I think it is good to understand the many point of views.
Oh jeez sorry nm. Long day..

Last edited:
Just got some in-state love :happy:

First II....and the only one that really counts (only in-state) as do or die in my short list.

:soexcited:

Since I know you folks were all waiting with bated breath: tutoring went swimmingly--that is, neither my tutor nor I cried during or after (I think). She also secretly knows more English than she was letting on so I think once we work on her confidence a little, we will be golden. I'm so inspired by my learner! She's been on a waitlist for this program for two years and she jumped right in, so ready to learn English so she can better communicate with her own kids.

I know some people frown on verbalizing a Plan B in here, or at least in the pre-Allo forum...I guess nobody wants to seem like they aren't 110% committed to medicine. Anyway, I think that if this whole med school deal doesn't work out in the end (which I really hope it will), I might be able to see myself as a teacher.

Ok, soliloquy complete. Thank you, anonymous readers, for letting me spill some tea for you.

Reactions: 6 users
Since I know you folks were all waiting with bated breath: tutoring went swimmingly--that is, neither my tutor nor I cried during or after (I think). She also secretly knows more English than she was letting on so I think once we work on her confidence a little, we will be golden. I'm so inspired by my learner! She's been on a waitlist for this program for two years and she jumped right in, so ready to learn English so she can better communicate with her own kids.

I know some people frown on verbalizing a Plan B in here, or at least in the pre-Allo forum...I guess nobody wants to seem like they aren't 110% committed to medicine. Anyway, I think that if this whole med school deal doesn't work out in the end (which I really hope it will), I might be able to see myself as a teacher.

Ok, soliloquy complete. Thank you, anonymous readers, for letting me spill some tea for you.
For nontrads at least I'd say we probably almost all have a plan B. I'd love to not need mine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAN B for me is starting tomorrow. Working as demolition construction worker, just picked up a pair gloves lol. I will work out all
my anxieties for sure ! I just finally had the courage and looked over my CC and figured out how much I spent on this cycle with all the fees and not working for over a year to make my app cherry. I had mini heart attack :hungover: . At least I used EVERY OUNCE of my energy and did EVERYTHING that I could possibly within my reach to make me a stronger applicant this cycle, if I fail I will rest assured that I did my best. Now, there is nothing else to do besides hopefully attend interviews and spend another boat load of money traveling . I still have a couple more of secondaries that are almost finished , but the worst is over it.
Expecting the worst and hoping for the best my friends, stay thirsty !;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Eighth II!

Currently sitting in an airport en route to the first one tomorrow. Wish me luck, guys.

Reactions: 10 users
congrats! you're absolutely killing this cycle!

Till the first acceptance I'm going to cling to all the luck I can...

Till the first acceptance I'm going to cling to all the luck I can...

I am with you!

I have the same number of II's as you, but I have four interviews completed. Going to keep pushing hard until I find the right fit that wants to accept me. Interviewing early will make 10/15 quite a stress-filled day.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Eighth II!

Currently sitting in an airport en route to the first one tomorrow. Wish me luck, guys.
You're a rockstar. Congratulations. I'm not sure what your secret is, but clearly you did a lot of things right and deserve all the love you're getting from these schools. Good luck on your interview. Come back and give us a report when it's over!

I am with you!

I have the same number of II's as you, but I have four interviews completed. Going to keep pushing hard until I find the right fit that wants to accept me. Interviewing early will make 10/15 quite a stress-filled day.

Best of luck tomorrow!

I am going to have to lock myself in a basement the night of October 14th, because anyone who has to put with me that night will undoubtedly strangle me.

You're a rockstar. Congratulations. I'm not sure what your secret is, but clearly you did a lot of things right and deserve all the love you're getting from these schools. Good luck on your interview. Come back and give us a report when it's over!

Pretty sure most of my secret was dropping the application bass on day one, lol. The rest of you have yours coming, don't you worry my pretties.

Just submitted my final secondary last night. Completed at most schools. 1 rejection; 24 silent. Feels good to be done writing essays for a bit. Good luck to everyone in this thread.

Gah! First rejection! (VCU). Flexed at the screen and made my wife laugh though, so it was worth it.

6 do invites already. Completed and submitted my dream md school yesterday. I will try to finish the rest of my md secondaries in the next 2 weeks. It sucks that I'm a little bit behind on my md secondaries due to my work. It's ok though.

You want to know how I feel right now?

The-Silence-007.jpg

No holds, no rejections, no II's, no communication whatsoever. Completed secondaries from 8/5 on, so I know I was a little late to the game with my primary but got all my secondaries out within a week of receiving them.

Nice pic! hahhaha that silence is killer! Still time! It's only august! Some schools have adcoms that refuse to pick up an application until the very end of summer! And think of it this way...it's better than no rejections (only thing that kept me alive this past month!)

You want to know how I feel right now?

The-Silence-007.jpg

No holds, no rejections, no II's, no communication whatsoever. Completed secondaries from 8/5 on, so I know I was a little late to the game with my primary but got all my secondaries out within a week of receiving them.

Hang in there... I'm in a similar boat, one rejection, though. Still lots of time left! (Not that that stops me from checking all 38 other application portals every other day for updates that don't exist!)

Just popping in as a former non trad applicant to say good luck and go get 'em!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Weeeoooo, first interview over. Still jitteryyyy.

Ninth II just showed up o.o

Reactions: 9 users
Talk about lots of traveling for you, you'll be premier/gold awards member in no time

I must've forgotten AMCAS's birthday cause I'm gettin the silent treatment.

Weeeoooo, first interview over. Still jitteryyyy.

Ninth II just showed up o.o
Whooooooo! Go! Go! Go!
Also tips! Give us tips!

I'm currently shopping for my interview outfit in SF and I feel like such a victim of the kyriarchy rn.

You are champions. I am struggling to get my secondaries done and my adult responsibilities while working 12hr shifts in public safety. I'm ready to be done so I can sleep again :/
Keep up the good work, champions.

Whooooooo! Go! Go! Go!
Also tips! Give us tips!

I'm currently shopping for my interview outfit in SF and I feel like such a victim of the kyriarchy rn.

Go straight to Macy's and get thyself a Tahari suit rn. Do not pass go (and unfortunately do not collect $200).

Edit: Charlotte airport is lame and charges for wifi so I'm stuck on my phone. I'll ponder tips for typing up if I ever get home! (Stupid missed connections!)

Go straight to Macy's and get thyself a Tahari suit rn. Do not pass go (and unfortunately do not collect $200).
Eh the ones that looked right were basically the same price as a Theory suit. But I just got a fifth II! So I guess $200/interview is okay? Sure it is!

Eh the ones that looked right were basically the same price as a Theory suit. But I just got a fifth II! So I guess $200/interview is okay? Sure it is!

Wat.

My Tahari ASL suit with an extra skirt was hundreds less than a Theory suit. What kind of tomfoolery so they have out there in California?!

(BTW WOOO 5th II kill it!)