2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My wife routinely gives me crap for wanting to keep going to school... Overall she's supportive but I completely understand this. Every few weeks or so she asks if I'm going to actually go to med school if I get in...

YES!!! I was with a guy who didn't support me to apply to medical school -- and I considered not pursuing it...however, after we broke up...I'm like Heck Yeah! I'm going to go to medical school. I'm doing this for me!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah me too. And now I'm childless in a sea of people with adorable babies.
Good thing medicine is worth it.

I want to be married and have kids -- but I want to go to medical school, too! I haven't met the right man who loves, respects and who wants to be with me yet :)

I haven't met the right man who loves, respects and who wants to be with me yet :)

preach.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My girlfriend was ready for kids the day we met. But I had to demand that she give our relationship (me) the freedom to develop to that point without the pressure to get to that point. She gave me that.
It's been 3 years and she's graduated ad started working in school with a BA Child Psych and had plenty of time over the years to get to know my 3 siblings (the oldest is now 13).
Just LAST WEEK! She said, while sitting with me on the couch, "I don't know about kids, babe."

So anyway. Love em, hate em, or changing your mind, that choice is for you.

Reactions: 4 users
My girlfriend was ready for kids the day we met. But I had to demand that she give our relationship (me) the freedom to develop to that point without the pressure to get to that point. She gave me that.
It's been 3 years and she's graduated ad started working in school with a BA Child Psych and had plenty of time over the years to get to know my 3 siblings (the oldest is now 13).
Just LAST WEEK! She said, while sitting with me on the couch, "I don't know about kids, babe."

So anyway. Love em, hate em, or changing your mind, that choice is for you.

I'll set for a bunch of puppies ------personally.......

As I was pulling up to school just now, the radio (oldies station, weep) treated me to the Billboard #1 song of the year I was born. Which I blasted as I was surrounded by 18 year olds :D

Anyone else care to share their birth year #1 song?

Edit: Just realized how relevant this song is to the waiting game, lol.

Last edited:
Hahaha oh my god. Woke up this morning, saw I was placed on an interview waitlist at AZCOM (first news other than a Tulane rejection, I'll take it). Then came to this thread...the #1 Billboard hit of 1987 is just too fitting:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha oh my god. Woke up this morning, saw I was placed on an interview waitlist at AZCOM (first news other than a Tulane rejection, I'll take it). Then came to this thread...the #1 Billboard hit of 1987 is just too fitting:

+1.

Hope you get good news from AZ or your other choices so you don't have to live on a prayer.

As someone who has been baptised twice and is now as agnostic as you can get, im really hoping that I don't have to resort to praying to get more results. Then again, I've been in Spain for the past week so thay has helped a bit with my neurotic and compulsive email checking.

And thanks for sharing your stories everyone. I feel way more at home here than on the rest of SDR where the privilege, and lack of insight into said privilege, often makes me quite discouraged. Can we all have a meet up once we get accepted? Perhaps the old country buffet, seeing how we are all so nontraditional and old and ****. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Also, am I the only one who shaved off their beard for an interview out of fear that it'd be held against them? I hadn't shaved fully in many many years and it was the first time my boyfriend of four years had seen me clean shaven. The only plus was that I got to have a peda-stache for a few minutes...

Reactions: 2 users
@timsk

I have kept a beard for the past few years and shaved fully for interviews.

I definitely prefer a beard, but I had to do it!

Also, am I the only one who shaved off their beard for an interview out of fear that it'd be held against them? I hadn't shaved fully in many many years and it was the first time my boyfriend of four years had seen me clean shaven. The only plus was that I got to have a peda-stache for a few minutes...

I totally shaved off my bear-...wait.

Hey friends!!!!! Just check in ... Just had my first interview of the season! I don't think I did real bad or real good. Kinda of stressing ,, but at least I broke the seal ! I am in bar having a couple drinks by myself , so I haven't read the latest news from everyone yet. Hope you guys are doing good as I am . God love us--- thanks for beer and good food---- ( I am not religious but sounded like a god way to express my exact feelings right now).

NON TRAD COALITION :punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage:

Reactions: 7 users
Hey friends!!!!! Just check in ... Just had my first interview of the season! I don't think I did real bad or real good. Kinda of stressing ,, but at least I broke the seal ! I am in bar having a couple drinks by myself , so I haven't read the latest news from everyone yet. Hope you guys are doing good as I am . God love us--- thanks for beer and good food---- ( I am not religious but sounded like a god way to express my exact feelings right now).

:banana: Rock it rock it!

I'm packing for a flight tomorrow afternoon. Just crossing fingers this onslaught of rain in the area won't leave me stranded somewhere.

Huh. Maybe I should have shaved. I kept mine, but it's at a 1 on the clippers so very short. I lose my "nontrad" look when it comes off (wife says I lose years). Can't let that go! :D

:highfive: I did the same thing when I was at Midway airport after the interview. Then I promptly slept through take off after boarding the plane. :laugh:

Just had my first interview of the season! I don't think I did real bad or real good. Kinda of stressing

You probably did better than you think you did. I know that I spent the day following my first interview thinking about all the things I wish I had said, but then I realized that all the other interviewees probably felt the same. Don't let my babbling interrupt your hard-earned drinks though! You earned it! :=|:-): On to the next...?

Whooooo! Say goodbye to interview-innocence, my friend. Say hello to the cavernous expanse of time unspooling out before October 15. ALL PART OF THE FUN.

Whooooo! Say goodbye to interview-innocence, my friend. Say hello to the cavernous expanse of time unspooling out before October 15. ALL PART OF THE FUN.

...two weeks.

TWO WEEKS.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

yes friends, I just "uber" it to a new bar! I figure I might as well check out the scene while I am in here, because I will not ever come back here if I don't get accepted ! I am driving to OHIO tmrw . solo ROAD TRIP, exploring the mainland... Chehhooooo . I kinda of wish I had a partner in crime right now, such as my GF . Oh well solo it will be

yes friends, I just "uber" it to a new bar! I figure I might as well check out the scene while I am in here, because I will not ever come back here if I don't get accepted ! I am driving to OHIO tmrw . solo ROAD TRIP, exploring the mainland... Chehhooooo . I kinda of wish I had a partner in crime right now, such as my GF . Oh well solo it will be
Yeah traveling without a significant other isn't as much fun :(
My husband will be coming to my 7th interview so that's awesome :D
Watch out Austin, we're coming for you.

Same. I've shaved. I'm keepin my hair though, it's mid way down my back....but I'm a wuss too gonna put it up.
Need my hair for rockin'.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, tomorrow is October already. You guys are doing great. Then two weeks until someone gets to start the nontrad acceptance thread right?!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I have to be up at 4 am for work and I'm finding it hard to relax because the last couple of years CCOM sent out acceptances on Thursday/Friday this week or next. :nailbiting:

Wow, tomorrow is October already. You guys are doing great. Then two weeks until someone gets to start the nontrad acceptance thread right?!

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
We have to change threads? I'm *comfortable* here!

No, you just make your acceptance posts over for posterity there and then come back here to celebrate and hang out, lol.
Oh well I can get behind that. You'll likely also spot my skywriting campaign in action.

Hope I don't lose that deposit...

You know this process is bending your mind when your governor declares a state of emergency and your first thought is: "Crap, I hope they don't cancel my flight!"

hurri.jpg

You guys, OUWB tweeted that they met today and, though they didn't send out acceptances (obvs) they DID send out rejections.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN YOU GUYS. *freaks out*

You guys, OUWB tweeted that they met today and, though they didn't send out acceptances (obvs) they DID send out rejections.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN YOU GUYS. *freaks out*

They are clearly rejecting everyone else so they can FOCUS SOLELY ON YOUR GREATNESS DUH.

They are clearly rejecting everyone else so they can FOCUS SOLELY ON YOUR GREATNESS DUH.
*our* greatness.
This means ANY of the other schools could be doing the SAME THING.

Ours. <3 *explodes*

I have to be up at 4 am for work and I'm finding it hard to relax because the last couple of years CCOM sent out acceptances on Thursday/Friday this week or next. :nailbiting:
Unless you did early you don't have to worry for two more weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you did early you don't have to worry for two more weeks :)

I wish it was MD because then I'd know for sure I'd have to wait until then. They are DO, though, so the October 15th deadline doesn't apply. :(

Oh I didn't even pay attention to the school name! Sorry I fail!

Haha. I still google just about any abbreviation for any school because I still don't have them all straight...

I'm packing for a flight tomorrow afternoon. Just crossing fingers this onslaught of rain in the area won't leave me stranded somewhere.
I get to Cleveland...pouting rain. I get back to California, and surprise surprise, RAIN. Is the drought over? Is El Niño here? Or am I just carrying a rain cloud with me like Charlie Brown...