2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OH MY GOD our neighbors cut up the trees on OUR PROPERTY and now we have zero privacy in the master bedroom. We are selling in a month. Now we can see into their living room and guest bedroom, not to mention their entire deck, from our master bedroom. We are selling in a month. Does anybody know of a way to make hedges grow back 4 feet into the air in under a month? The hedge in question is laurel. My husband freaked out and went to the neighbors to threaten to file a police report. In this market we're probably going to be able to sell regardless of the lack of privacy, but this morning we woke up in a 100% private bedroom and tonight it's a very NOT private bedroom... Eeeeeeekkkkkkk whyyyyyy :'(

That is awful! :mad: I've had neighbors do that before and I just don't understand why anyone would think it is okay.

Maybe try "agreeing to settle this dispute" if they will pay for a fencing company to put up a couple of sections of privacy fence so that you can't see into each other's house?

Alternatively, if you don't have time for waiting on them to say yes, have the fencing put up and then ask for payment or (threaten to) take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer for that, but it would still be a hassle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is awful! :mad: I've had neighbors do that before and I just don't understand why anyone would think it is okay.

Maybe try "agreeing to settle this dispute" if they will pay for a fencing company to put up a couple of sections of privacy fence so that you can't see into each other's house?

Alternatively, if you don't have time for waiting on them to say yes, have the fencing put up and then ask for payment or (threaten to) take them to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer for that, but it would still be a hassle.
What's privacy fence? Extra fencing on top of the existing fence?
The neighbors don't seem happy about it either to be honest... They lost all their privacy too. I seriously don't understand why they did it.

Arbovitae come in 12' sizes at your nursery... if you pam me your state, I can probably get you a referral.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's privacy fence? Extra fencing on top of the existing fence?
The neighbors don't seem happy about it either to be honest... They lost all their privacy too. I seriously don't understand why they did it.

Privacy fence is a fence made of wood or plastic boards placed touching each other so that there are no holes. They can be made fairly tall. I've seen them up to about 10 foot tall around here, but 5 or 6 foot is more common. They are kind of pricy, but they're definitely the way to go if you don't have time to wait for shrubs/trees to grow. The neighbors should foot the bill since they destroyed your property.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/E...HohtwnNjZK2FVc3qAoqrhbI9wLMWgxxiK4aAgkd8P8HAQ

arbwgr2-2.jpg

This - make your neighbor pay for them. Put them together (closer than 2') ... cheaper and taller than a fence.

Reactions: 1 users
What everyone else said about transplanting in new vegetation

I am really against privacy fencing, because even though it does the trick, it isn't the prettiest to look at long term. It is perfect planting season right now, and you can probably get some really nice trees to put in place that will not only give you back your privacy, but potentially increase your value because of aesthetics

In officially 32 days I leave my job! But, in the meantime...

Reactions: 4 users
Don't panic! That's one of the worst things you can do. Think about it differently--truth be told, there isn't anyway that we as a people are supposed to be surviving today much less thriving and in the positions that we are in to enter medical school. The fact that you are here, alive, nontraditional, and still fending off several offers from medical schools (and even if you weren't) is more than enough and is a testament to who you are. If you're a deeper learner and like to know things more thoroughly than just fact and regurgitation, find schools that have a true pass-fail curriculum so that you can truly learn things thoroughly and at the speed that you would like. Also check out the way that schools set up their curriculum. More importantly with classes, talk and see how many of the people matriculate with their given class---you don't want to end up with schools with professors like your calculus guy. With that being said----ain't no way we're supposed to be a surviving people---and dang lady, black, woman, previous career, doing the thing ---it doesn't matter where you go, you will rock the crap out of it. The students who often take the most time in 1st to 2nd year classes (which admittedly are fast and uncomfortable no matter where you go), are the ones who stand out not only in clinics and clerk-ships but as actual physicians. But don't let that worry from a professor even begin to set doubts in your mind; that's what kills your mind and set-up much faster than the anything else. You got this! You are more than worthy of your position there and you will show that in so many ways that can't be measured throughout medical school, with patients, and with classmates. Rock on! Year 1 and 2 are psychological warfare in a sense, so go in with peace of mind that you are where you are supposed to be and at the time that you are supposed to be there--then it becomes less anxiety-inducing, and you'll be able to keep doing the things that have made you an extraordinary individual already. And if you ever need electronic resources for medical school, a place to vent, etc., you're welcome to hit me up any time.

Thank you, awesome internet stranger :)

I feel sort of guilty that one reason I'm so excited for the choosing phase to be over is I can finally set a quittin' date! lol
Ugh, the waiting game is awful. Miami asks for the least amount of documents so I submitted everything by mid-February, yet a financial aid officer told me last week that I needed to submit my FAFSA :mad:

Anyway, I hadn't decided on a program when I submitted my resignation letter.

I did it early partly to help them find a replacement and facilitate the transition - but mostly its to relax and travel during the summer. This is the first semester since freshman year of college where I haven't taken at least one class, and I don't think I've had a real vacation since I was a kid, mostly because I couldn't afford one.

But this summer I'm hiking through Shenandoah National Park, going to the beach, and visitng friends and family. We're also getting a dog, hopefully in time for our hiking trip.

And I'm happy to day that I finally settled on a school! That is, unless a certain Cali school takes me off their waitlist and offers massive amounts of aid. I'll stay in the Northeast, so I have to slog through 4 more winters, but at least it won't be in Boston.

So @thatwouldbeanarchy, I'm sorry took to break it to you, but you'll likely have to look at my ugly mug every day for at least preclinicals.

Yessssss!!! So glad to hear that! :highfive:

Couldn't resist the free sushi, huh? ;)
It was more the ten thousand hugs I got throughout the day, and I'm not even that big on hugs :)

Those first three minutes at the reception were intense. I saw one student grab practically half of one type of roll and dump it on his plate then drown it with soy sauce. Did you go to Sunday's events?

Last edited:
It was more the green thousand hugs I got throughout the day, and I'm not even that big on hugs :)

Those first three minutes at the reception were intense. I saw one student grab practically half of one type of roll and dump it on his plate then drown it with soy sauce. Did you go to Sunday's events?
Haha. I didn't get a single roll! I was worried I'd lose my life in the sushi stampede. But I think ate at least 10 of those little fried falafel thingies. Oof. I definitely agree about the hugs and the general friendliness, though! I really enjoyed talking with the first years. They seem like a pretty great crew!

I decided to skip Sunday. Drove about 30 minutes south and found some really pretty hiking trails. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It was more the green thousand hugs I got throughout the day, and I'm not even that big on hugs :)

Haha. I didn't get a single roll! I was worried I'd lose my life in the sushi stampede. But I think ate at least 10 of those little fried falafel thingies. Oof. I definitely agree about the hugs and the general friendliness, though! I really enjoyed talking with the first years. They seem like a pretty great crew!

I decided to skip Sunday. Drove about 30 minutes south and found some really pretty hiking trails. :)

LOL. Was this at Brown?

LOL. Was this at Brown?

Yep. I think the funniest thing I heard all day came courtesy of my interview day tour guide: "When I interviewed here I thought this place was like a cult, you know? Everyone looked too happy, it was creepy. But that's what its like most of the time."

Last edited:
That's what I said my very first day there!

also, full disclosure: I didn't leave my apartment after sunset the first night I was there because I heard that providence was "so dangerous"
it turns out it's just a bunch of happy hippies and the next night I was out until like 2am

Yep. I think the funniest thing I heard all day came courtesy of my interview day tour guide: "You know, when I interviewed here I thought this place was like a cult, you know? Everyone looked too happy, it was creepy. But that's what its like most of the time."
Ha! The cult comparison is too real. It definitely feels that way sometimes.

Is it worth it at this point to create an MD Applicants profile? It might be useful to someone in the future with a similar profile, but I'm not sure how much time it takes to modify it.

Is it worth it at this point to create an MD Applicants profile? It might be useful to someone in the future with a similar profile, but I'm not sure how much time it takes to modify it.

It's pretty straightforward to make it. I'd say 20 - 30 minutes tops

Arbovitae come in 12' sizes at your nursery... if you pam me your state, I can probably get you a referral.
What everyone else said about transplanting in new vegetation
I am really against privacy fencing, because even though it does the trick, it isn't the prettiest to look at long term. It is perfect planting season right now, and you can probably get some really nice trees to put in place that will not only give you back your privacy, but potentially increase your value because of aesthetics
Privacy fence is a fence made of wood or plastic boards placed touching each other so that there are no holes. They can be made fairly tall. I've seen them up to about 10 foot tall around here, but 5 or 6 foot is more common. They are kind of pricy, but they're definitely the way to go if you don't have time to wait for shrubs/trees to grow. The neighbors should foot the bill since they destroyed your property.
Thank you all for your advice! Turns out the neighbors are super nice, now that they got over the shock of my husband coming over to their front door. They're going to get the fence between our properties replaced with a taller one, so once that's done we should have privacy again in our bedroom. Yay there are still nice people in this world :). I'll be getting them flowers once it's done.

if they were THAT nice, they should have checked with you before cutting down your tree :p glad everything worked out in the end
Thank you all for your advice! Turns out the neighbors are super nice, now that they got over the shock of my husband coming over to their front door. They're going to get the fence between our properties replaced with a taller one, so once that's done we should have privacy again in our bedroom. Yay there are still nice people in this world :). I'll be getting them flowers once it's done.

Merit scholarship for case western! Phew...still expensive but nice to defray the loans a bit!

Reactions: 9 users
Nontrads, please help! :hijacked: (just wanted to use that emoticon) I posted this in the School Specific section, but at the time it was a possibility, and as of today, I've been accepted at ECU so now the proverbial s*** has hit the fan and I have 10 days to decide! And I have no idea what to do. Here's what I had posted:

Trying to decide between Iowa ($$$) and ECU ($). I really have no strong leanings on what I want to do long term as a physician. I like research and could be interested in academic med, but I wouldn't really miss it either if I end up in PP or a community hospital. Things like ophtho, ortho, ENT seem cool, but I don't know if I want something surgical, and I'm also realistic that I'm probably not a brainiac that's going to sail to a 250+ Step 1 either. Medicine will be my career, but I would like to have a good work/life balance down the road as well.

ECU
(+) In-state tuition, about 80k total for 4 years
(+) Very low cost of living
(+) Wife could keep current job, great financial stability for us for all 4 years
(+) Weather is awesome
(+) I would like to end up in NC (or the Southeast) down the road

(-) School is very focused on primary care. I'm not opposed to this, but I want to keep specialty options open
(-) Does not have departments/home residencies in several areas that I would at least like to explore (radiology, ENT, ortho, ophtho)
(-) Fewer opportunities in research

Iowa
(+) Loved the school/program
(+) Good mix of strong clinical training and tons of research opportunities
(+) Higher "ranked," but obviously neither one is a top 10
(+) Close to family supports

(-) Higher tuition (guaranteed 50k first year, potential to get IS years 2-4 @ 35k) = 155k ... or 200k worse case, meaning a difference of 120k between the two. Not a small chunk of change.
(-) Probably has more midwest emphasis on match (tough to know, though, as 67% of class is from Iowa and most likely want to stay around there if they can, which skews the results)
(-) Less financial stability for us moving, fewer contacts, wife's new job. Wife's new job may also pay quite a bit less than the one in NC
(-) SNOW SNOW SNOW

Nontrads, please help! :hijacked: (just wanted to use that emoticon) I posted this in the School Specific section, but at the time it was a possibility, and as of today, I've been accepted at ECU so now the proverbial s*** has hit the fan and I have 10 days to decide! And I have no idea what to do. Here's what I had posted:

Trying to decide between Iowa ($$$) and ECU ($). I really have no strong leanings on what I want to do long term as a physician. I like research and could be interested in academic med, but I wouldn't really miss it either if I end up in PP or a community hospital. Things like ophtho, ortho, ENT seem cool, but I don't know if I want something surgical, and I'm also realistic that I'm probably not a brainiac that's going to sail to a 250+ Step 1 either. Medicine will be my career, but I would like to have a good work/life balance down the road as well.

ECU
(+) In-state tuition, about 80k total for 4 years
(+) Very low cost of living
(+) Wife could keep current job, great financial stability for us for all 4 years
(+) Weather is awesome
(+) I would like to end up in NC (or the Southeast) down the road

(-) School is very focused on primary care. I'm not opposed to this, but I want to keep specialty options open
(-) Does not have departments/home residencies in several areas that I would at least like to explore (radiology, ENT, ortho, ophtho)
(-) Fewer opportunities in research

Iowa
(+) Loved the school/program
(+) Good mix of strong clinical training and tons of research opportunities
(+) Higher "ranked," but obviously neither one is a top 10
(+) Close to family supports

(-) Higher tuition (guaranteed 50k first year, potential to get IS years 2-4 @ 35k) = 155k ... or 200k worse case, meaning a difference of 120k between the two. Not a small chunk of change.
(-) Probably has more midwest emphasis on match (tough to know, though, as 67% of class is from Iowa and most likely want to stay around there if they can, which skews the results)
(-) Less financial stability for us moving, fewer contacts, wife's new job. Wife's new job may also pay quite a bit less than the one in NC
(-) SNOW SNOW SNOW

I feel your pain on this, bruh.

When you say ECU is focused on primary care, is it due to self-selection of the students? As in, are there open doors elsewhere but people just tend to choose primary care? Or do you feel it'll actually hinder you if you chose to do something more competitive?

I feel your pain on this, bruh.

When you say ECU is focused on primary care, is it due to self-selection of the students? As in, are there open doors elsewhere but people just tend to choose primary care? Or do you feel it'll actually hinder you if you chose to do something more competitive?

I do think part of it is self-selected, but the school definitely has a strong primary care mission, as it is pretty much the only major hospital system on the eastern part of the state. So I understand the strong need for it, and I'm honestly not opposed to primary care either so it may be a great fit. I just don't wanna close any potential doors. But in looking at their previous match lists, they have people matching into some of the competitive areas every year, so perhaps my apprehensiveness isn't warranted --> http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomstudentaffairs/upload/Match-Data-2009-2015.pdf

I do think part of it is self-selected, but the school definitely has a strong primary care mission, as it is pretty much the only major hospital system on the eastern part of the state. So I understand the strong need for it, and I'm honestly not opposed to primary care either so it may be a great fit. I just don't wanna close any potential doors. But in looking at their previous match lists, they have people matching into some of the competitive areas every year, so perhaps my apprehensiveness isn't warranted --> http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomstudentaffairs/upload/Match-Data-2009-2015.pdf

That doesn't seem like a bad match list (as far as a pre-med like me can read match list, which is to say I could be wrong). Could you maybe get in touch with them and ask if you could be hooked up with an M4 going into something non-primary care, then ask them how difficult or easy they felt it was to get away rotations/support/etc?

Every doc I work with (and I mean every one) has told me to go to the cheapest school. They hate their debt and have told me they would have gone to the middle of nowhere if they could have halved it.

To each their own, but I can definitely say $120k+ would easily be enough for me to choose the cheaper option. Best of luck making your decision!

Every doc I work with (and I mean every one) has told me to go to the cheapest school. They hate their debt and have told me they would have gone to the middle of nowhere if they could have halved it.

To each their own, but I can definitely say $120k+ would easily be enough for me to choose the cheaper option. Best of luck making your decision!

He does have a point if it's really going to make some doors hard to open. It's something to consider if he really wants options. I definitely talked to M4s at each of my schools about this kind of thing, and I got insight that has helped me cull (some places I hadn't expected the negative feedback I heard on the topic, and some I didn't expect all the positivity).

He does have a point if it's really going to make some doors hard to open. It's something to consider if he really wants options. I definitely talked to M4s at each of my schools about this kind of thing, and I got insight that has helped me cull (some places I hadn't expected the negative feedback I heard on the topic, and some I didn't expect all the positivity).

True. My general understanding though was that the "competitiveness" of a school (or at least the rate at which they place competitive residencies) really only mattered with the household name schools (Harvard, etc). Beyond that, it is more down to the individual applicant. A school may place emphasis on primary care, but the advantage of going to another school that doesn't is extremely small.

Or I'm secretly hoping this is the case as I will be attending No Name State Univ. Ha!

True. My general understanding though was that the "competitiveness" of a school (or at least the rate at which they place competitive residencies) really only mattered with the household name schools (Harvard, etc). Beyond that, it is more down to the individual applicant. A school may place emphasis on primary care, but the advantage of going to another school that doesn't is extremely small.

Or I'm secretly hoping this is the case as I will be attending No Name State Univ. Ha!

Yeah def, I'm not terribly concerned with rank either. But I've also noticed a difference between places that make it easy to connect with outside rotation preceptors (if they don't have X elective rotation at home) and places where it's a hassle. My hope is ECU is very good with that sort of thing and that would make his choice easier.

Yeah def, I'm not terribly concerned with rank either. But I've also noticed a difference between places that make it easy to connect with outside rotation preceptors (if they don't have X elective rotation at home) and places where it's a hassle. My hope is ECU is very good with that sort of thing and that would make his choice easier.

Thank you both for the input @VegasPreMed and @Eccesignum ! I feel like I'm leaning towards the cheap school, partially just because saving all that money would be so nice.

How did you go about finding M4's to contact? Just ask the admissions office?

Thank you both for the input @VegasPreMed and @Eccesignum ! I feel like I'm leaning towards the cheap school, partially just because saving all that money would be so nice.

How did you go about finding M4's to contact? Just ask the admissions office?

That's all I did :) I wrote and said I had some questions about fourth year and asked if they knew of any students willing to field questions. I found at most places they gave me contacts quite readily.

@Okazaki Frag Grenade I also suggest that you ask ECU to put you in contact with recent graduates, if possible. I did this with the schools I was deciding between and found it very helpful because they had a more balanced view about their program since they were working as residents, and I didn't feel that they were selling it like current students sometimes do.

@Okazaki Frag Grenade I also suggest that you ask ECU to put you in contact with recent graduates, if possible. I did this with the schools I was deciding between and found it very helpful because they had a more balanced view about their program since they were working as residents, and I didn't feel that they were selling it like current students sometimes do.

Okay that's good to know too. This nice lady in admissions is going to wish they never accepted me once I bombard her with all these questions

Okay that's good to know too. This nice lady in admissions is going to wish they never accepted me once I bombard her with all these questions
Annoy them! You will potentially spend 4 years there so you want to be sure it's the right place for you.

Annoy them! You will potentially spend 4 years there so you want to be sure it's the right place for you.

Damn right, it's their turn to work for your love now :D

(And your 80k)

Reactions: 5 users
ok so as a business person, I would say ECU. The financial burden associated with student loans over 100k (for me, at least) is too significant to justify the double cost. Plus that burden will impact your ability to get a mortgage and proper credit consideration, and on a more personal level, financial burden is the #1 rated factor for marriage stress.

In terms of mission and match, I think a lot of it is the individual. Yes, the name will take you a little further if you go to a more "well known" school, but I think the big difference only comes if you're choosing between like Harvard and middle Tennessee. I've known people from Ivy med schools that end up in podunk residencies, and students from no-name schools get medicine at columbia and yale.

If you've willed your way this far, you can do anything you set your mind to.

I am really struggling with this. I've eliminated my private dream school option, but not my public school option (which has not yet sent me aid vs. full tuition scholarship.)

My two remaining options are so vastly different tho. Money can make up for prestige, for sure. But I don't know if it can make up for: good weather, resultant health and happiness, competitive locale (that matches more easily from within), friends, family, strong research options, and the possibility of finding love and staying in that region for years to come.

I feel like being older and single makes some things weigh more heavily than money. I could imagine feeling differently if I had kids who had the chance to be near extended family, too.

which is which?
I had an older doctor family member (female) was in the same position as you are now, so I can share her experience if it's relevant

I am really struggling with this. I've eliminated my private dream school option, but not my public school option (which has not yet sent me aid vs. full tuition scholarship.)

My two remaining options are so vastly different tho. Money can make up for prestige, for sure. But I don't know if it can make up for: good weather, resultant health and happiness, competitive locale (that matches more easily from within), friends, family, strong research options, and the possibility of finding love and staying in that region for years to come.

I think money is a big thing, but not nearly as important as happiness. Debt from loans is something that you can pay back slowly over time, but the 4 years' of happiness you put at risk if you don't go to that school is something that you may never get back. I think money is a strong factor to consider if one is completely happy with re-establishing at either location, but clearly that isn't the case in your situation, so I agree with they way you seem to be leaning. I think it just depends on the person's priorities.

Edit: Obviously money plays into happiness though so it's not entirely all black and white like this, but it is something to consider

I think money is a big thing, but not nearly as important as happiness. Debt from loans is something that you can pay back slowly over time, but the 4 years' of happiness you put at risk if you don't go to that school is something that you may never get back. I think money is a strong factor to consider if one is completely happy with re-establishing at either location, but clearly that isn't the case in your situation, so I agree with they way you seem to be leaning. I think it just depends on the person's priorities.
To answer @tetley, my really inexpensive school is in a place where I have none of the things that matter to me in life. I realize life is what you make it, but there are some objective realities that do help. My somewhat expensive school (in-state tuition in CA) has all the things that matter to me.

And yeah, I keep thinking, you know, the point is to actually be a doctor. I'll make a perfectly fine income regardless, just like most doctors. I want the job. I want the work.

I've been watching that History channel show Alone and it's great for putting this kind of thing in perspective.

To answer @tetley, my really inexpensive school is in a place where I have none of the things that matter to me in life. I realize life is what you make it, but there are some objective realities that do help. My somewhat expensive school (in-state tuition in CA) has all the things that matter to me.

And while there are many med students/residents on here who note the debt is a huge pain in the butt, I don't think I've met a single doctor who hasn't been able to pay it off. While the extra year of attending's salary is tempting, I think I'd also be much happier being in a comfortable place for 4 years :)

My somewhat expensive school (in-state tuition in CA) has all the things that matter to me.

Then follow your heart! In the end it won't really matter whether you are making 80k or 160k as a physician, after taxes and loan payments. Either way that is still plenty of money for house, car, hobbies, and vacations unless you have overly-fancy tastes.

Reactions: 3 users
Then follow your heart! In the end it won't really matter whether you are making 80k or 160k as a physician, after taxes and loan payments. Either way that is still plenty of money for house, car, hobbies, and vacations unless you have overly-fancy tastes.

Agreed! Sometimes the cheapest choice ends up costing you more. Med school hell hyperbole aside, it is important to find the option where you will be most comfortable. You want to thrive while in school - if that means taking on a slightly larger debt load in favor of piece of mind, I would take it.

Reactions: 2 users
so @pageantry, the girl in my family chose the expensive one closer to family, and spent the past 5 years as a student/resident close by
I asked her if it was worth the extra cost, and she said that she does not think she could have enjoyed being/becoming a doctor anywhere else

so @pageantry, the girl in my family chose the expensive one closer to family, and spent the past 5 years as a student/resident close by
I asked her if it was worth the extra cost, and she said that she does not think she could have enjoyed being/becoming a doctor anywhere else
Thanks for this.

On the one hand, I really do see--especially as an older student--that this is just training for a tough job. All schools rah-rah for themselves. Who cares; same-same. Invest wisely and make the most of it.

But on the other hand, I know a few people who suffered *horribly* in medical school--and lack of community was definitely part of it. They ALL--including the ones who dropped out of medical school and were stuck with the debt--advocated for the more expensive but more joyful option.

Last edited:
I AM DONNNNNE!

Finally committed today, after some nail-biting negotiating in the face of offers elsewhere. My heart knew where the right place but the money was unjustifiable...but they came back with a solid offer, one that I'm comfortable with. It was hard to send withdrawal emails (commitment, man, it's terrifying), but they're done. And now I can focus on the transition instead of the choice. It's a weird feeling.

Time for zen breaths and wine.

Reactions: 12 users
I AM DONNNNNE!

Finally committed today, after some nail-biting negotiating in the face of offers elsewhere. My heart knew where the right place but the money was unjustifiable...but they came back with a solid offer, one that I'm comfortable with. It was hard to send withdrawal emails (commitment, man, it's terrifying), but they're done. And now I can focus on the transition instead of the choice. It's a weird feeling.

Time for zen breaths and wine.
Congratulations!! Care to tell us which school you chose?
Your timely withdrawals will undoubtedly make people happy but I do understand the stress... Sending mine out (just one) was super stressful.