2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Volunteering at a hospital opened up a lot of doors for shadowing for me, which was really nice, but I also had patient contact. Would you get any? Hospice work (with patients) would likely provide a more fruitful experience, and those I know who have done it (all retired) thought themselves better for it. (In a good, 'transformative' way)

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering at a hospital opened up a lot of doors for shadowing for me, which was really nice, but I also had patient contact. Would you get any? Hospice work (with patients) would likely provide a more fruitful experience, and those I know who have done it (all retired) thought themselves better for it. (In a good, 'transformative' way)
Yeah I was thinking I'd just super-volunteer and ask questions until it became something more meaningful or possibly get some shadowing....but I like the Hospice idea, they want people to play music there and I can!
Anyway...I'll probably just do both because f-it...who needs time after working all week?

of course, it would be sick just to get accepted this cycle!

I am drowning in secondaries and have no idea how some people on SDN have such quick turnaround on them.

Good luck everyone! What a marathon...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so fun trying to do secondaries while working full-time nights.

On the bright side, I have three early interviews. I am already amazed at my good fortune, I was expecting such little response due to my GPA.

Reactions: 4 users
I used to like the weekend, now I dread it.

I like days when I can hope for an update email or some sort of application status change.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to like the weekend, now I dread it.

I like days when I can hope for an update email or some sort of application status change.

Just had the same thought today when I rolled out of bed to check my email and realized it was Saturday. Bah.

Official Score tomorrow. Sleep will not be had tonight.

Official Score tomorrow. Sleep will not be had tonight.

Am right there with you. Ready to see my final score (and based on my preliminaries i am pretty confident what it will be) and get this phase over. Not sure i'm ready for the second onslaught of secondaries once my scores are released.

Good luck!

Good luck you MCAT score receivers!

Submitted 5 secondary apps today. Since Im waiting on scores and my committee letter its futile, but it's the little things I guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't posted on this year's iteration of nontrad progress, but man...I have 19 secondaries submitted and I was feeling good, chugging along, but my next few are beasts. Should have started with those, maybe...hope you all are avoiding the burnout!

Haven't posted on this year's iteration of nontrad progress, but man...I have 19 secondaries submitted and I was feeling good, chugging along, but my next few are beasts. Should have started with those, maybe...hope you all are avoiding the burnout!

I know the feeling. Just finished my 27th secondary last night. I never want to see another essay again, but there are still more to complete. I was managing to get them all in before two weeks had passed, but then I ran into a few beasts. I mean, c'mon Miami. 12 essays of 500 words each? I have to take a day off after finishing that one.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that in a couple of weeks when the secondaries are done and we are just waiting on results that some of us will wish we could go back and work on them again.

Reactions: 1 users
I've submitted 5 out the 7 secondaries I've received so far (only possibly 1 more after that... Wayne State is taking their sweet time.) Unfortunately, 1 of the 2 left to go is the Minnesota one which has like 9 essays to write. It seems like I'm super happy I didn't apply to Miami, because that sounds fricken brutal.

I know the feeling. Just finished my 27th secondary last night. I never want to see another essay again, but there are still more to complete. I was managing to get them all in before two weeks had passed, but then I ran into a few beasts. I mean, c'mon Miami. 12 essays of 500 words each? I have to take a day off after finishing that one.

On the other hand, I have no doubt that in a couple of weeks when the secondaries are done and we are just waiting on results that some of us will wish we could go back and work on them again.

Miami was a beast...followed up with the UCs...ugh

In my n=1 opinion Miami's secondary was pretty fun for me to complete.

Everyone have a great weekend and make sure to do something besides write essays:p......

Reactions: 1 users
14 secondaries down. I feel like I'm becoming a way faster writer.

14 secondaries down. I feel like I'm becoming a way faster writer.

+1 this. My personal statement took almost a month for me to write, but now I can write these secondary essays within a few hours. If medical school doesn't work out I may just become a writer.

Reactions: 5 users
Woah, new to the SDN and you kids have been putting in some work on these forums.

I'm applying this year for the first time. Have a great GPA, non-debilitating MCAT score that is not worth bragging about, and experience for the last two years as a paramedic.
I applied to 4 DO schools and 17 MD
Submitted AMCAS on 6/17 and got super ill over the next month. Just submitted my AACOMAS a week ago.
Secondaries rolled in: 11 so far. [Unsure if more will show up?]
I'm overwhelmed by the volume, trying to keep up the pace knocking them out.

Doing all of this with a full-time job and non-student responsibilities has been tough but if I get in the pay off will be so worth it.

Woah, new to the SDN and you kids have been putting in some work on these forums.

I'm applying this year for the first time. Have a great GPA, non-debilitating MCAT score that is not worth bragging about, and experience for the last two years as a paramedic.
I applied to 4 DO schools and 17 MD
Submitted AMCAS on 6/17 and got super ill over the next month. Just submitted my AACOMAS a week ago.
Secondaries rolled in: 11 so far. [Unsure if more will show up?]
I'm overwhelmed by the volume, trying to keep up the pace knocking them out.

Doing all of this with a full-time job and non-student responsibilities has been tough but if I get in the pay off will be so worth it.

Welcome to the party!

AMCAS just verified. For the record: submitted July 2nd, verified July 28th.

Secondaries showed up immediately.

22 secondaries down, 6-8 left...
The last couple were a little rocky, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Plus I got an II this week! Folks, we are going to be doctors!

22 secondaries down, 6-8 left...
The last couple were a little rocky, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Plus I got an II this week! Folks, we are going to be doctors!

Congrats on your II!

After so many years of wondering if I could, if I SHOULD, and worse, if I would... I did. Submitted tonight. Let the rejections flow in ;) (seriously, I hope not all 35 schools outright say, "Get lost" but suspect many of them might)

After so many years of wondering if I could, if I SHOULD, and worse, if I would... I did. Submitted tonight. Let the rejections flow in ;) (seriously, I hope not all 35 schools outright say, "Get lost" but suspect many of them might)

Totally unrelated to your post but out of the corner of my eye I always think your profile pic looks like an eel! :)

Totally unrelated to your post but out of the corner of my eye I always think your profile pic looks like an eel! :)

Better than eelpout!! A disgusting looking fish in MN :)

:eek: (people eat those :vomit:)
eelpout-hat.jpg

Looks like they wear them, too

:smack: another reason to be an embarrassed Minnesotan!

Upon further review, though, that looks like a Northern Pike, not an eelpout.

index.php

:smack: another reason to be an embarrassed Minnesotan!

Upon further review, though, that looks like a Northern Pike, not an eelpout.

index.php

Definitely not as cute

Really excited to have scored my first interview! At one of my state schools, no less (gotta save those $$$).

16 secondaries down... Too many left to go. Keep chugging alone everyone! We're doing it.

Verified today, FINALLY. Now if I can just get my last letter of rec actually submitted (had to wait till summer term cause of the classes I've taken (only science since my transfer to UW - and in the last 3 years - so it's been hard to get a non-science). I'm so glad I prewrote a ton of the essays.

28 y/o, non-trad nurse applicant. 3.44/34 (with a 4 semester 3.94 DIY post-bacc). 23/26 applications complete and 3 MD II so far! I am beyond excited!

Two more IIs today! Great to see everyone's progress, keep it up!

Reactions: 3 users
Two more IIs today! Great to see everyone's progress, keep it up!

Hopefully those of us who haven't gotten an II yet will be able to celebrate with you soon. Congrats!

I got my first II today, too! And I'm gonna follow up on the good luck glitter with some more of these: :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
(because they seem to be working?!) Congrats, all! And to those still patiently waiting, there is still ALL KINDS of time. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I had my first med school interviews today. I've been to many interviews in my life but I don't think I've ever been so nervous before. It turned out to be a lovely experience though. The students and faculty seemed genuinely interested in my unusual route to medicine, and no one brought up my poor academic history from undergrad long ago. I had a huge grin on my face during the hospital tour. I couldn't help it... after years of working towards this goal, it is soooo close! I hope that all of you also have a relaxing first interview. We're almost there! :D

Now the waiting for Oct 15 begins.

Reactions: 9 users
I had my first med school interviews today. I've been to many interviews in my life but I don't think I've ever been so nervous before. It turned out to be a lovely experience though. The students and faculty seemed genuinely interested in my unusual route to medicine, and no one brought up my poor academic history from undergrad long ago. I had a huge grin on my face during the hospital tour. I couldn't help it... after years of working towards this goal, it is soooo close! I hope that all of you also have a relaxing first interview. We're almost there! :D

Now the waiting for Oct 15 begins.

Holy crap that was early. Do you mind saying where it was (if you prefer not to that's perfectly cool)?

Holy crap that was early. Do you mind saying where it was (if you prefer not to that's perfectly cool)?

Texas A&M. The application for the Texas schools opened a month earlier than AMCAS so they are a little ahead of everywhere else with interviews.

So apparently when you get verified, you should have your phone on silent the next morning. From 2am-7am 10 secondaries arrived. Thank goodness for prewriting, time to get these puppies out!