2016 or 2017 class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigshowble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that I am a complete long shot here. My parents pushed me to the predental route in college. That being said. I honestly did not push myself in any fashion and ended up with a 2.8GPA. I scored a 19 overall on the DAT the first time and did not study like I should have. After graduation, I worked as an oral surgery assistant for 2 years before entering the medical sales world. After years of travel, I am over it. I have secured a position as a Practice Administrator for an OMS and Orthodontics group. I am 28 years old now. I do feel confident that I can score in the mid-twenties on the DAT should I commit to studying.

I have found a desire for dentistry on my own this time and would like to pursue dental school again. My questions are as follows:
  • Is it too late for me?
  • Would it be wise for me to apply for the 2016 class or should I apply early for the 2017 class?
  • Should I take some night science classes in order to bump up my science GPA?
Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a year and boost your GPA I'm almost 100% certain you have no shot this cycle. That being said you should retake the DAT and take science classes to increase you GPA so you have a better chance next cycle. Aim for those A's!

Wait a year and boost your GPA I'm almost 100% certain you have no shot this cycle. That being said you should retake the DAT and take science classes to increase you GPA so you have a better chance next cycle. Aim for those A's!
That was my thought as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely try for a higher gpa by taking some science courses. Also 28 isn't old. I just started on Monday as a D1 at 28. There are a mix of people here, fresh out of college, some married with kids and families, so you definitely won't be alone. People don't always go into dentistry straight out of school. Use that time as an advantage on your application and tell adcoms what you have learned and how you have matured.

Mid-20's on the DAT is pretty bold to feel confident about scoring.

it's not like it's all that difficult. 24 is the new 19.

You're gonna need to go back to school and get some letters of recommendations though

How long do you think you will need to study for the DAT? If you can do that and get the DAT taken by early Sept, I'd see how that goes. If you rock the DAT and get 23+ or so, I'd apply this year, at least to a few schools and see how it goes. Then, if you don't get in, apply again in June next year and maybe take some classes this year to boost your GPA. Your current GPA is low, but your work experience is unique and will probably catch some eyes I would think. Your previous 19 is still average, but with a lower GPA you need a higher score. Also, I would spend some time researching schools you may want to attend to make sure your coursework is current enough for them. Some schools don't have a time limit but some schools only take the pre-reqs if they are 5 years or newer.

That was a joke right? :smack:
dqgupSU.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Get the Adea handbook.... Look at the statistics....

And be realistic upon reflecting when witnessing these accepted enrollee values....

yea it was recently submitted in the news so let me find it.

I am interested in seeing this as well as I highly doubt that 40% of ALL test takers have a 23+. Maybe on SDN it is skewed towards that...