2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting!!! I've been trying to take my mind off it and not worry about it lol!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I just got my offer in Albany, New York. If you have any advice or know the area please let me know Thank You!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'll be in New Orleans! If anyone has any information about where I should stay, etc. pleaseeee let me know! Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received my offer yesterday at 10am!! Ill be located in Tampa, which is awesome because thats where I live now & didn't want to pay for moving =) I'm so excited! Orientation is October 5th!

I was actually out of the country when my call came, and then a few days later I got an email saying they were trying to reach me...so if you're out of the country maybe change your voicemail message to say you aren't receiving calls!

By the way, anyone else placed in Bradenton, Florida, or know anything about that area??
Very small and slow Area...Im in Tampa

Congrats everyone! I got my call today, I'll be in Denver! I'm so excited!!! :soexcited:

I'm coming from Utah (although I lived in Manhattan for school the last few years). I got placed in my first preference region. Something close to Salt Lake would have been nice, but truly I had my fingers crossed for somewhere in Colorado!

Still waiting for my email containing more info. Just celebrating today :)

To those of you still waiting, good luck!
Hi! I got a call yesterday that I'll be in Boulder. I don't know anything about the area as I'm coming from NC. I would love to connect!

Hello everyone, I just got my offer in Albany, New York. If you have any advice or know the area please let me know Thank You!!!!
I'm from the area, feel free to message me!

St. Paul, MN here I come! Any current/former St. Paul'ers? I am coming from Socal!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I got a call yesterday that I'll be in Boulder. I don't know anything about the area as I'm coming from NC. I would love to connect!

Absolutely! I have visited a few times, but I don't have a ton of info myself. However, I've got family in Boulder, Denver, and Loveland, CO and I'll be talking to them to get details and advice throughout the summer, I'd love to share. Feel free to shoot me an email! [email protected]

Absolutely! I have visited a few times, but I don't have a ton of info myself. However, I've got family in Boulder, Denver, and Loveland, CO and I'll be talking to them to get details and advice throughout the summer, I'd love to share. Feel free to shoot me an email! [email protected]
Awesome! Sending you an email now :) its [email protected]

Hey guys, I'll be in New Orleans! If anyone has any information about where I should stay, etc. pleaseeee let me know! Thank you!
I haven't rented in New Orleans BUT I did grow up there (birth through end of high school), and still visit frequently since my parents are probably going to live there forever :p I actually first learned about PHAP while interning at the New Orleans Health Dept in college (assuming that's where you might be placed?) because they had a PHAP member helping to launch their FIT NOLA campaign. Happy to chat about neighborhoods and the city, if you'd like to message me!

Hi everyone! For those that had student loans in undergrad, I think I read somewhere in the previous PHAP forums that the program qualifies us to defer the payments, since it is a fellowship program and technically not a full-time job. Can somebody shed some light to this? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
St. Paul, MN here I come! Any current/former St. Paul'ers? I am coming from Socal!

I grew up just outside of St. Paul! It's a wonderful place! Winter will be an eye opener for you coming from socal though, make sure to invest in a warm jacket and a good pair of boots!

Hi everyone! For those that had student loans in undergrad, I think I read somewhere in the previous PHAP forums that the program qualifies us to defer the payments, since it is a fellowship program and technically not a full-time job. Can somebody shed some light to this? Thank you so much!

It seems each loan servicer has slightly different requirements for deferment, so I suggest calling your servicer. If your servicer doesn't count PHAP as eligible for deferment, you should definitely apply for income based repayment. I pay very little on my federal loans under IBR. Additionally, working 2 years at the CDC is qualifying employment under the public service loan forgiveness program. Check it out: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

I grew up just outside of St. Paul! It's a wonderful place! Winter will be an eye opener for you coming from socal though, make sure to invest in a warm jacket and a good pair of boots!
Ahh, winter o_O!! Please let me know of any must-do's, must-see's! I definitely want to take advantage of exploring a new city :)

Hi everyone, I am really nervous and I need to ask if anyone knows what happens if they cannot reach you by phone. I am out of the country and my mother's number is the number I gave them but I am quickly realizing she is getting senile and hardly checks her messages. Do you know if they send an email???

People stationed in Denver, let me know if you have any questions. I'm from Denver and still currently live in Denver. One thing I would suggest is looking for apartments in places slightly outside of downtown or the heart of Denver like in Glendale. Glendale is a nice area and is affordable. Our housing market has been crazy so looking for places close to or in downtown can be over $1,500 easily for a one bdrm.

I was able to defer mine as a Graduate Fellowship Deferment.

Hi everyone, I am really nervous and I need to ask if anyone knows what happens if they cannot reach you by phone. I am out of the country and my mother's number is the number I gave them but I am quickly realizing she is getting senile and hardly checks her messages. Do you know if they send an email???
They might send you an email...make sure you check your spam inbox!
Although, for me...all I got was a phone call/voicemail (I had missed the call), with instructions to return the call or email the person. I had returned the call and emailed. Best of luck and safe travels!

I also went to undergrad in Fort Collins, CO . If anyone is placed there and has questions please feel free to ask.

I got my offer this evening!! I only received an email from my HR rep. But I will be placed in Fort Collins, Colorado! @ASPublicHealth I would love to talk to you about the area and learn more about it :D

Congrats to everyone that has gotten an offer, and good luck to everyone that is still waiting :)

It took me about 36hrs to get the link with the on boarding info :)
Hey @ASPublicHealth So I received my tentative offer letter today and it had instructions about filling out paperwork however I don't see a link to access it. It does mention something about a site to use if you have already created a login account but what if you haven't. How do you go about creating one?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can answer my question about this! So if you accept the tentative offer, it's not the official offer? So you could technically accept the tentative offer and then turn down the official offer? I'm frustrated because my HR rep isn't returning my calls or e-mails, and I have until tomorrow to make a decision when I feel like I know no information. Long Island is huge, I'd like to know my location on the island before fully committing.

Congrats!! I'll be in Denver too! I'm coming from Florida, so this is going to be a HUGE adjustment.

I just accepted my offer to Denver as well today! I am so excited for this opportunity and will be moving from Michigan.

I just accepted my offer to Denver as well today! I am so excited for this opportunity and will be moving from Michigan.
I'll be about an hour outside of Denver! I'm heading out there from New Hampshire.

Hey @ASPublicHealth So I received my tentative offer letter today and it had instructions about filling out paperwork however I don't see a link to access it. It does mention something about a site to use if you have already created a login account but what if you haven't. How do you go about creating one?
Don't worry about the paperwork until you get the link with the on boarding process. There will be a paper due like 1-2 days after you get the on boarding info but everything else is due in July. Your HR rep will send you a link that will allow you to sign in to the on boarding website and make an account. This will happen after you confirm that you accept the position. I hope this helps.

I got my offer this evening!! I only received an email from my HR rep. But I will be placed in Fort Collins, Colorado! @ASPublicHealth I would love to talk to you about the area and learn more about it :D

Congrats to everyone that has gotten an offer, and good luck to everyone that is still waiting :)
I will send you a personal message

Don't worry about the paperwork until you get the link with the on boarding process. There will be a paper due like 1-2 days after you get the on boarding info but everything else is due in July. Your HR rep will send you a link that will allow you to sign in to the on boarding website and make an account. This will happen after you confirm that you accept the position. I hope this helps.
Thanks @ASPublicHealth!!

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can answer my question about this! So if you accept the tentative offer, it's not the official offer? So you could technically accept the tentative offer and then turn down the official offer? I'm frustrated because my HR rep isn't returning my calls or e-mails, and I have until tomorrow to make a decision when I feel like I know no information. Long Island is huge, I'd like to know my location on the island before fully committing.

That is pretty much correct. You've been offered a spot, and it is yours contingent on completion of the administrative and paperwork requirements - like the onboarding paperwork, background check, completion of security training for IT.

People each year DO get into the process and something better comes along, or they decide that the location isn't what they want, or that other life events happen and withdraw after they receive the tentative offer. I don't know for a fact that it has any lasting effect on you - I seem to remember someone else in this thread turned down an offer last year and got re-offered this year. Calls go out as late as September and I imagine that's the reason.

That is pretty much correct. You've been offered a spot, and it is yours contingent on completion of the administrative and paperwork requirements - like the onboarding paperwork, background check, completion of security training for IT.

People each year DO get into the process and something better comes along, or they decide that the location isn't what they want, or that other life events happen and withdraw after they receive the tentative offer. I don't know for a fact that it has any lasting effect on you - I seem to remember someone else in this thread turned down an offer last year and got re-offered this year. Calls go out as late as September and I imagine that's the reason.

Thank you so much for the information! I'm so excited and am definitely accepting the tentative offer. I just hate being rushed!

And I can't wait for the other NY offers to come in :) there should be around 16 of us if they stick to previous years. Roommates will be a must...haha

Thank you so much for the information! I'm so excited and am definitely accepting the tentative offer. I just hate being rushed!

I know! Everyone does... but at least you have several months to reconsider! There are always people every year who get the call in September and have to make an even more rushed decision - and then follow through on it.

I know that 3 days seems silly, but there's a list of 300 people probably, and they want to make sure that if you don't want the spot that they can be fair to one of the alternates and give them the time to do the onboarding. It honestly does take several months to get everything squared away.

It's the nature of government work, again. Lots of rules, but I promise (and I've been on both sides of this) that those rules that exist do so for a good reason, be it procedural, operational, legal, or constitutional. It's just really unfortunate that sometimes that reason isn't communicated or readily apparent because then it just looks like meanness or lacking sympathy or just mindless bureaucracy.

Glad to have you aboard! It's going to be a great experience!

And I can't wait for the other NY offers to come in :) there should be around 16 of us if they stick to previous years. Roommates will be a must...haha
I'm Albany New York let me know if you know anyone that's there ☺️

If anyone has any tips/advice about living in Los Angeles I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll be moving from the DC area :)

If anyone has any tips/advice about living in Los Angeles I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll be moving from the DC area :)
Congrats! I've lived in the peripheral cities of LA and have tons of family in LA. Additionally, I visit the DC area every once in awhile. I've come to find DC and LA can be similar at times. There's always traffic (like DC!). You might want to consider a car to get around. While LA has public transportation, it's not as robust as DC's. The cost of living is a lot higher than the national average, just like DC. So, it's sort of a good thing you're coming from one expensive city...to another...you'll be numb to this! If money is a concern, especially since the PHAP salary is a bit tight, you should definitely consider roommates. Last I checked, a 1 bedroom was easily $900+. While I'm not sure where exactly you'll be stationed at in LA, there's plenty of colleges in the LA area (UCLA, USC, Mt. St. Mary's, CSUN, CSULA, etc) that you could search for roommates (grad students perhaps?). I would avoid staying near the USC area as it's not known for being safe...
As far as weather...the summers are typically dry heat (not humid like DC!) and the winters are generally very mild (lowest probably 55). It rarely rains hence our everlasting drought! Like DC, LA is incredibly diverse in every way. You'll have tons of fun exploring the city, the people and the communities.

If you have any other questions just ask away!
Hope it helps!

Congrats! I've lived in the peripheral cities of LA and have tons of family in LA. Additionally, I visit the DC area every once in awhile. I've come to find DC and LA can be similar at times. There's always traffic (like DC!). You might want to consider a car to get around. While LA has public transportation, it's not as robust as DC's. The cost of living is a lot higher than the national average, just like DC. So, it's sort of a good thing you're coming from one expensive city...to another...you'll be numb to this! If money is a concern, especially since the PHAP salary is a bit tight, you should definitely consider roommates. Last I checked, a 1 bedroom was easily $900+. While I'm not sure where exactly you'll be stationed at in LA, there's plenty of colleges in the LA area (UCLA, USC, Mt. St. Mary's, CSUN, CSULA, etc) that you could search for roommates (grad students perhaps?). I would avoid staying near the USC area as it's not known for being safe...
As far as weather...the summers are typically dry heat (not humid like DC!) and the winters are generally very mild (lowest probably 55). It rarely rains hence our everlasting drought! Like DC, LA is incredibly diverse in every way. You'll have tons of fun exploring the city, the people and the communities.

If you have any other questions just ask away!
Hope it helps!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely reach out if I have any other questions!

Hey guys! I just received my offer for Nashville, TN. Anybody living there currently or received an offer there? If you live there or are familiar with the area, can you tell me about the cost of living, what there is to do, and what apartments/places to look at? I'm looking for a one bedroom because my partner will be joining me in a few months! Congratulations to everyone so far!

Yes, please! Congratulations! This is so exciting! @OrangeTrips, we've got another AZ member!

Hi uhtechno! Not sure if you received a notification from Monday. I sent you a message with my email so we can get in touch - another Phoenix PHAP here! :)

Hello everyone!

Like all of you, I'm anxiously awaiting a phone call or email! Congratulations to all those who have been accepted and placed. So far, I haven't seen any placements in MA, CT, NH, RI, VT, or ME. I selected New England as my preferred location and was wondering if any other New England-ers have gotten offers.

Very excited to be on this journey with you all! I know we'll go far.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if initial offers are really only two weeks before moving to alternates? Just wondering since that would be tomorrow. Also has anyone tried to email/call for a status update? Wasn't sure if the website just said they couldn't give updates to deter people from calling. It would be nice to at least know if you're no longer in the running.

Does anyone know if initial offers are really only two weeks before moving to alternates? Just wondering since that would be tomorrow. Also has anyone tried to email/call for a status update? Wasn't sure if the website just said they couldn't give updates to deter people from calling. It would be nice to at least know if you're no longer in the running.
I wouldn't worry.. I accepted the job offer and completed my paper work already (My HR person is the bomb.com) and my status still says "Congratulations, you've been selected for an interview".

I wouldn't worry.. I accepted the job offer and completed my paper work already (My HR person is the bomb.com) and my status still says "Congratulations, you've been selected for an interview".
Oh what! Who is your HR person (if you don't mind sharing)?! I had confirmed my acceptance on Monday morning via phone (PST) and my HR person said I'd get an email with instructions sometime next week... May I ask what paperwork you had to fill out? I hope the wait (for HR paperwork) doesn't negatively affect us in anyway! I can't imagine it would but I always freak out anyways -_-

Oh what! Who is your HR person (if you don't mind sharing)?! I had confirmed my acceptance on Monday morning via phone (PST) and my HR person said I'd get an email with instructions sometime next week... May I ask what paperwork you had to fill out? I hope the wait (for HR paperwork) doesn't negatively affect us in anyway! I can't imagine it would but I always freak out anyways -_-

My HR lady is really nice and efficient. I had a problem with my initial log in and she was prompt in helping me resolve it. My HR person is Rhonda Beeler.

I feel the same as you. It would help if they sent out emails to the non selected. Therefore, we would know that we're not listed as alternates as well. I rather be surprised if the selected people declined and I get an offer verses being surprised at the end with no offer at all. Although, I have faith that we'll receive a call or email shortly.;)

My HR lady is really nice and efficient. I had a problem with my initial log in and she was prompt in helping me resolve it. My HR person is Rhonda Beeler.
Thanks for sharing! I'm just being impatient, haha. Congrats!!