2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thats a relief, hopefully? I tried calling but just got an answering machine. The format that they attached the message with (rms) appears to need you to have login credentials to a cdc server (rms.cdc.gov). Hopefully they figure out what is going on. Did anyone NOT have this problem?
I just got an email from PHAP a few minutes ago about the personal statement. the link works. I don't see an attachment

Just got the email to register and submit my personal statement!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email with the submission link as well. To previous associates: should the personal statement be straight forward or can I get creative/tell it like a narrative? Whenever I have to write some sort of personal statement, I like to tell it like a story but I don't know if it is appropriate here.

I was referred no email yet for personal statement :( did they stop emailing due to the link does anyone know?

Hey don't throw in the towel just yet, I received my email later on in the day.

I received an email with the submission link as well. To previous associates: should the personal statement be straight forward or can I get creative/tell it like a narrative? Whenever I have to write some sort of personal statement, I like to tell it like a story but I don't know if it is appropriate here.
Mine was fairly straightforward, but I've never heard advice one way or the other for this purpose. Personally, I think narrative can be very effective, but is has to coalesce in to something toward the end. I wouldn't go full iambic pentameter if you're aiming creative though ;), but really I have no idea.

I'd say the two words to keep in mind are professional and personal, but that's more of my thoughts on personal statements in general.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I just logged into the submission link and looked through the sections. Of course, there's a special requirements one about driver's license and owning a car.

So.. I don't have a driver's license yet. :( I'm looking to get one soon (next month or so). I don't own a car either. Is there a point in continuing my application? Sigh. I just noticed it's in bold on the original job announcement - of course, I missed that part. Any advice?

Hi guys, I just logged into the submission link and looked through the sections. Of course, there's a special requirements one about driver's license and owning a car.

So.. I don't have a driver's license yet. :( I'm looking to get one soon (next month or so). I don't own a car either. Is there a point in continuing my application? Sigh. I just noticed it's in bold on the original job announcement - of course, I missed that part. Any advice?

I just looked at the application again and it just says "some positions" require a driver's license and car. I don't think you need it for all of them- it is probably just to determine what positions you might be able to go to. You should still apply I think! :)

Does anyone know if it is more beneficial to check "no preference for location" instead of giving a top 3 in terms of likelihood of being hired? The regions are super bizarre/randomly laid out to me and if it gives me a better chance if I check no preference then I will do it. The one my home state is in has a lot of other states that I don't really want to be considered as my preference so I'm not sure if that is worth putting as my #1 just on the off chance I'd get to move back near my family (it's also the state I'd ultimately like to end up in for my career/grad school). I was thinking of putting other regions that have better job prospects in those states for my boyfriend as my top 3, but because I don't really have any real reason to want/need to be in those regions I'm wondering if it's just better to put that I have no preference.

In the past you were told when the job was offered if it required a car. I didn't have a car when I applied and didn't end up needing one.

I just looked at the application again and it just says "some positions" require a driver's license and car. I don't think you need it for all of them- it is probably just to determine what positions you might be able to go to. You should still apply I think! :)

Does anyone know if it is more beneficial to check "no preference for location" instead of giving a top 3 in terms of likelihood of being hired? The regions are super bizarre/randomly laid out to me and if it gives me a better chance if I check no preference then I will do it. The one my home state is in has a lot of other states that I don't really want to be considered as my preference so I'm not sure if that is worth putting as my #1 just on the off chance I'd get to move back near my family (it's also the state I'd ultimately like to end up in for my career/grad school). I was thinking of putting other regions that have better job prospects in those states for my boyfriend as my top 3, but because I don't really have any real reason to want/need to be in those regions I'm wondering if it's just better to put that I have no preference.

I really don't know if it's more beneficial, in the past we were told that they looked at location preferences after they had already made a hiring list, but that could have changed. Personally, I only selected that I was willing to move to three states and ended up with a position in one of them. Other associates did something similar and were still offered positions outside of their preferences anyways :shrug:

I just got an email from PHAP a few minutes ago about the personal statement. the link works. I don't see an attachment

Hi I'm a 2014 PHAP I can help- did they give a prompt for the personal statement? I remember I had to answer specific questions in my statement and mine was different than the 2015 personal statement. The 2015 class had to answer 3 separate questions and respond.

I'm in the 2014 class and I said no location preference in my application (we did not have the top 3 location preference for our class). I think I can better help answer your question since I was in a similar situation. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. :)

Hey don't throw in the towel just yet, I received my email later on in the day.

I got it! :) I was so nervous when everyone started saying they had received it already.

I am having a hard time with my personal statement :( the questions all feel very similar. Any suggestions anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a hard time with my personal statement :( the questions all feel very similar. Any suggestions anyone?
Ours was just one question. What are the questions?

Can anyone speak to the typical education level of those accepted into the PHAP program? I'm curios to learn more about how many have a master's vs. a bachelor's degree.

Ours was just one question. What are the questions?
  1. What are your goals after completing PHAP?

2. How would PHAP help you fulfill these goals?

3. How does PHAP compliment your previous public health training, work, and experience?

Can anyone speak to the typical education level of those accepted into the PHAP program? I'm curios to learn more about how many have a master's vs. a bachelor's degree.
The majority of associates my year had bachelor's, but some do have master's. There used to be a similar 3 year program for those with master's and PHAP was just for bachelor degree holders, but they merged them together.

1. What are your goals after completing PHAP?

2. How would PHAP help you fulfill these goals?

3. How does PHAP compliment your previous public health training, work, and experience?

That seems like it's similar to what we had. Is it just one text field that you have to write the answer? I just addressed all three points in one continuous personal statement.

So they are 3 different questions but one text field. Do you think it would be okay to make one continuous personal statement together?

So they are 3 different questions but one text field. Do you think it would be okay to make one continuous personal statement together?
Personally I think that's what they want you to do. Plus show off your written communication skills.

Do you all know if for the "How does PHAP compliment your previous public health training, work, and experience?" question if they are more trying to get at "How does your previous experience make you a desirable candidate for us?" (typical cover letter material) or if they are trying to get at a further extension of the previous question of how PHAP helps fulfill your goals and are more so asking "What does PHAP give you that your previous experience didn't?"

Initially I was going for the former but after re-reading the question I'm not sure.

I just want to say thank you! I am so glad I found this forum and feel it has been beneficial with this process. Thank you! Thank you!

Do you all know if for the "How does PHAP compliment your previous public health training, work, and experience?" question if they are more trying to get at "How does your previous experience make you a desirable candidate for us?" (typical cover letter material) or if they are trying to get at a further extension of the previous question of how PHAP helps fulfill your goals and are more so asking "What does PHAP give you that your previous experience didn't?"

Initially I was going for the former but after re-reading the question I'm not sure.

No idea what they want, but I interpret the prompt as:
-Demonstrate past interest in public health
-Demonstrate future interest in public health (career-wise)
-Demonstrate understanding of how PHAP connects the two above

So I guess my answer to your question is simply, yes.

Just want to offer a cautionary tale for any future applicants who graduated in the fall semester - I was still holding out hope to hear back about submitting a personal statement since last year the announcements came in 2 waves. I tried to call this morning to see if there were any updates and they told me over the phone that I had been marked as ineligible since I had graduated "more than 2 years before the job posting."

I was a December 2013 graduate - my term finished the day before Christmas. I figured since the application opened the first few days of January, that it would count as exactly 2 years since I graduated, buuut apparently those 2 years + 12 days or so make you ineligible. Just wanted to share my story so others with the same graduation timeline in future years don't get their hopes up prematurely.

I'm in the 2014 class and I said no location preference in my application (we did not have the top 3 location preference for our class). I think I can better help answer your question since I was in a similar situation. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. :)

Current PHAP here from the 2015 class. This past cycle they said that they were going to be making a much more concerted effort to put people in their regions of preference in order to try to reduce attrition. Not that this is a guarantee, but my informal polling revealed that it was close to 80% got their region from my class. That said, I got my region (Southeast) and ended up in the one place I didn't want to go.

Also - I'm pretty sure there are some jokesters that are in charge of the assignments. My location got several PHAPs this year, and our home towns are within 30 miles of each other. There's a lot of those sorts of "coincidences".

The 2015 class had 65% coming from their bachelor's program and 35% coming from an advanced degree, including a few PhDs (believe it or not).

Quick question about the personal statement. Is it better to stay politically correct in our statements? Would taking a stance on a certain issue be problematic for the reviewers? Since this is a government program, I don't want to say anything that would provoke people but I would like to mention a court case that I had worked on that I believe would give some credit to my name, but it leans more to the left. Any advice would be appreciated!

Quick question about the personal statement. Is it better to stay politically correct in our statements? Would taking a stance on a certain issue be problematic for the reviewers? Since this is a government program, I don't want to say anything that would provoke people but I would like to mention a court case that I had worked on that I believe would give some credit to my name, but it leans more to the left. Any advice would be appreciated!

It kind of seems like you've answered your own question, but I'll just say you never know what the beliefs of the person reviewing your application will be.

It probably depends on your involvement, but there might be a way to demonstrate the experience without getting overly political. They really want people with good professional judgement as you'll be representing the agency at your host site.

I am so nervous I submitted my personal statement but my main objective is to become a public health lawyer or policy writer and I wonder if this program helps people with those goals

I am so nervous I submitted my personal statement but my main objective is to become a public health lawyer or policy writer and I wonder if this program helps people with those goals
It's not the most common outcome of the program, but some people do get their JD. Even if you only have a bachelors right now and have to leave the CDC after the program ends to go back to school, the experience will likely still help. I'm on a parallel path, where I left the CDC after my two years were done and I'm back in school, hoping to loop back to public health (maybe or maybe not with CDC) long term.

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to post and reply to our questions. Does anyone have insight on how the placements are assigned to candidates? I am having a difficult time deciding whether I should write "no regional preference" or choose three top regions. I understand that placements are non negotiable, however, I have a medical condition that prevents me from living in highly cold climates. Would that be enough to negotiate a different region if I am placed, for example, in Alaska?

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to post and reply to our questions. Does anyone have insight on how the placements are assigned to candidates? I am having a difficult time deciding whether I should write "no regional preference" or choose three top regions. I understand that placements are non negotiable, however, I have a medical condition that prevents me from living in highly cold climates. Would that be enough to negotiate a different region if I am placed, for example, in Alaska?

Hello, I am a 2015 PHAP so I thought I could lend some help. I'm not sure exactly how they assign location but there is definitely no negotiation or swapping of placements. That being said since you do have have a medical condition that is something you should definitely bring up at the end of your interview. Also they did rather well with making sure people got placed in their preferred region. Hope I helped.

Wish I could give you some helpful advice, but the region preference stuff has changed quite a bit since I applied. I know they've made it a point of emphasis to try to match people to locations they prefer. Personally, I would list preferences. In the past they didn't use the preferences in hiring decisions. I would bring up the medical condition at the end of the interview. Historically, there have been a lot of placements in Florida

On a side note: don't get hung up on the subject area you are assigned to (maternal health vs environmental health vs infectious diseases etc). The skills you learn are transferable to other programs and getting in the door at the CDC is very valuable. It may bum you out to be placed in a program that doesn't really excite you, but it's 2 years. A lot of associates make the jump to a different program area after the end of the program.

Good Luck Everyone! And may the odds be in your favor. ;)

Does anyone know when we will hear back regarding our personal statements?

It wont be till april; last year it was around 4/3 somewhere around there

Honestly, i think PHAP is getting better at placing people where they want so I think you all should rank your top 3 regions. I think it'll make it easier for them to assign too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The waiting is so nerve-racking! I feel like I was already looking at my inbox too many times today - even though I only submitted 2 days ago! :D

The waiting is so nerve-racking! I feel like I was already looking at my inbox too many times today - even though I only submitted 2 days ago! :D
Hang tough yall. Gonna be a while before any offers go out.

That said, I remember being in your shoes and checking my email all the time between classes

Hello, I am a 2015 PHAP so I thought I could lend some help. I'm not sure exactly how they assign location but there is definitely no negotiation or swapping of placements. That being said since you do have have a medical condition that is something you should definitely bring up at the end of your interview. Also they did rather well with making sure people got placed in their preferred region. Hope I helped.

Thank you for your response!

Wish I could give you some helpful advice, but the region preference stuff has changed quite a bit since I applied. I know they've made it a point of emphasis to try to match people to locations they prefer. Personally, I would list preferences. In the past they didn't use the preferences in hiring decisions. I would bring up the medical condition at the end of the interview. Historically, there have been a lot of placements in Florida

On a side note: don't get hung up on the subject area you are assigned to (maternal health vs environmental health vs infectious diseases etc). The skills you learn are transferable to other programs and getting in the door at the CDC is very valuable. It may bum you out to be placed in a program that doesn't really excite you, but it's 2 years. A lot of associates make the jump to a different program area after the end of the program.

Thank you for your response!

Does anyone have an idea of how many people apply to PHAP, how many are selected to continue to phase II and how many are selected to continue to phase III?

Does anyone have an idea of how many people apply to PHAP, how many are selected to continue to phase II and how many are selected to continue to phase III?
I'm a current associate and I just heard that 3470 applicants applied this year (highest in the past 3 years!). Good luck y'all! It's definitely a long process but the process is getting better each year. :)

My year they interviewed ~3x the number of spots. I don't know exactly how many positions they have this year, I'd guess >200. So maybe >600 interviews? That's just based on recent years numbers.

agreed, they said they are capping the number of PHAPs to 200 each year and they usually interview 3x the number of spots

agreed, they said they are capping the number of PHAPs to 200 each year and they usually interview 3x the number of spots
Glad they capped it! 200 is already lot of PHAPs to coordinate. So I'd expect about 600 interviews and usually they have to offer >200 hires to fill all the spots. Maybe 225 total offers, but that's just a guess. Seems like it fluctuates year to year how easy it is for them to get all the spots filled with their first options.

Gosh the wait for the third round is killing me!! :(

Gosh the wait for the third round is killing me!! :(
Last year they send out interview requests first week of April. Hopefully only 2 more weeks waiting for you all!

Do they send interview offers all within the same week?
Any tips on how to prepare for the interview?

Do they send interview offers all within the same week?
Any tips on how to prepare for the interview?

Not sure how they'll be extending interview offers this year. I'd recommend being able to articulate "why public health" and being prepared to answer situational professionalism questions. There's some solid advice back on the 2014 and 2015 threads that you can find pretty easily.

So is next week possibly the week that we will find out if we progress further?