2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey kd05, I just had my interview today. I directly asked my interviewer for his personal email so I could send a thank you. He gladly gave it to me. However if you did not ask this question no problem. Just google CDC employee directory. This is the website I used: <http://directory.psc.gov/employee.htm> Just find your interviewers name and click on their last name it will give you some information about them including their personal CDC email. Good luck to all of you who made it this far!!!

Hi guys I'm a 2014 PHAP and we just had our large meeting this afternoon. So far, PHAP interviewed 550 candidates and they will send monthly email updates to candidates and host sites as they make their decisions. We were told that tentative offers will be made in August. Good luck everyone and if anyone ends up at the Baltimore City Health Department let me know and I'll be happy to assist you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys I'm a 2014 PHAP and we just had our large meeting this afternoon. So far, PHAP interviewed 550 candidates and they will send monthly email updates to candidates and host sites as they make their decisions. We were told that tentative offers will be made in August. Good luck everyone and if anyone ends up at the Baltimore City Health Department let me know and I'll be happy to assist you :)

Awesome! Good luck everyone!! :D

For all of your interviews, was your interviewer not on video? Mine wasn't and I felt weird just talking to a video of myself lol. My interview didn't go well for other reasons too so I am pretty certain I am most likely not getting this but will probably apply again next year! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all of your interviews, was your interviewer not on video? Mine wasn't and I felt weird just talking to a video of myself lol. My interview didn't go well for other reasons too so I am pretty certain I am most likely not getting this but will probably apply again next year! Sounds like a great opportunity.

My interviewer used video but it was a bad connection. I couldn't really see her? I completely understand! Sometimes we do better than what we thought! :) Keep faith!! You may get selected.

Hey so is it 185 or is it 200+ positions? I have heard mixed information from all over! I am hoping its more like 200+ :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on everyone with their interviews! I'm interested in applying for PHAP 2017 and I've been following this thread recently and I'm exited and I haven't even applied yet. lol I was wondering if anybody can briefly tell me how to generally prepare for the application process as in what are they looking for in potential candidates. I know that the application for next year opens in January. Does PHAP require letters of recommendations or is the application mainly about the essay questions and application?

Congrats on everyone with their interviews! I'm interested in applying for PHAP 2017 and I've been following this thread recently and I'm exited and I haven't even applied yet. lol I was wondering if anybody can briefly tell me how to generally prepare for the application process as in what are they looking for in potential candidates. I know that the application for next year opens in January. Does PHAP require letters of recommendations or is the application mainly about the essay questions and application?
Hi,

It is an exciting process, but to be honest everything is pretty much straight forward. Letters of recommendation were not required, however, I am not sure if it was ever require throughout the process. When you apply just make sure you adhere to deadlines. I would say that application process is essay base its more so a personal statement that they require.

Good luck next year :)

Hey so is it 185 or is it 200+ positions? I have heard mixed information from all over! I am hoping its more like 200+ :)

2015 was the biggest class ever with 205 PHAPs, with a goal of having around 200 every year from here on out. This year they specifically stated "approximately 185" as the goal in 2016 as of the last update.

What have people been doing in regards to other offers? I really want to hold out and see if I get PHAP, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush I suppose...

What have people been doing in regards to other offers? I really want to hold out and see if I get PHAP, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush I suppose...

Right now I'm working as a community health worker!!! And I graduated last year 2015 May with my Master in Public Health, so PHAP for me is a way to get my foot in with the CDC and Network!!!! Have you been applying for job elsewhere

This board got really quiet after the interviews, it will be lighting up like a Christmas tree come July hopefully :) Right now I work for the state nutrition education program and with multiple organizations around the county. Looking for jobs to apply, but really hoping to get the offer from PHAP.

Has anyone been able to contact their interviewer directly? Have you been keeping in touch with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I'm working as a community health worker!!! And I graduated last year 2015 May with my Master in Public Health, so PHAP for me is a way to get my foot in with the CDC and Network!!!! Have you been applying for job elsewhere
I just graduated a week ago with my bachelor's so I've been applying to a variety of different jobs. I just got an offer, but I'm really hoping for PHAP. :/ Ah decisions!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just graduated a week ago with my bachelor's so I've been applying to a variety of different jobs. I just got an offer, but I'm really hoping for PHAP. :/ Ah decisions!!
Oh ok that's great my twin sister is in the PHAP program right now and she said it's great

I know it is getting harder and harder waiting! I have just heard back from a job offer and going to request a little time before making a decision. Last year people hear back around first part of June so I don't know the specifics of what is causing us to wait till August. It seems like forever :/

I know it is getting harder and harder waiting! I have just heard back from a job offer and going to request a little time before making a decision. Last year people hear back around first part of June so I don't know the specifics of what is causing us to wait till August. It seems like forever :/

Congrats on the offer!
And you're right I saw on last year's forum that offers started rolling out early June....lets keep our fingers crossed for that, but i am pretty sure my interviewer told me July...either way we still have to wait :meh:

So will we definitely have to wait until August for offers to begin? This process is so long...

I sent a email to PHAP. :/ I was just curious to see what the update was. They said that someone get back to my question. I let people know what they say! I know its hard! August is a long time

I sent a email to PHAP. :/ I was just curious to see what the update was. They said that someone get back to my question. I let people know what they say! I know its hard! August is a long time
ok great!

Thank you :)

Hey group! They said they are currently on track with the timeline and that offers could start as early as middle June. So there is hope it could come soon!! :) We will hope for the best that the board will start lighting up with offers! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey group! They said they are currently on track with the timeline and that offers could start as early as middle June. So there is hope it could come soon!! :) We will hope for the best that the board will start lighting up with offers! Good luck everyone!
:(

I'm starting to get a bit anxious!!:nailbiting: Good luck everyone!!!

Yay, I was hoping offers would start going out in June like last year!

I'm so glad I found this forum. I recently started considering the PHAP for January 2017 and definitely need as much info as I can get from here. Hoping I can get all the guidance to help in my application process. Thank you guys!

The first person to get an acceptance on the 2015 forum posted on June 9th. Let's hope that happens again this year haha

The first person to get an acceptance on the 2015 forum posted on June 9th. Let's hope that happens again this year haha

I saw that too, but our interview window was a week later than last years. So we might be a week behind them in offers as well. I hope they come soon though, the wait is terrible. haha

Am thinking that everything will start the week of 6/13/2016...fingers crossed!!

Wow guys, it would really be amazing if we start hearing offers coming in a week or so, it would make all of this waiting a lot easier! I was told they send you where the need is and I am willing to relocate anywhere so I hope to hear soon. I have a VA offer which I am trying to wait until August to turn down, this is why June would be so much better!!!! Anyone hear anything new?

Guys! I just got the call! They seem to be starting today!

Reactions: 3 users
Guys! I just got the call! They seem to be starting today!
No way, call at your home or email??? Now I am really nervous because I am studying overseas so I cannot answer the phone

No way, call at your home or email??? Now I am really nervous because I am studying overseas so I cannot answer the phone
A person from HR called me on my phone, and then I got the email. In California!

Just got the call. I got placed in New Orleans....ahhhh!! Soooo much to consider, but this is exciting. Congratulations to everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone getting calls! I remember seeing that 404 number pop up on phone a few years back, it's pretty great.

Even though you got the job, remember to be patient with PHAP and CDC HR. Specifics on your offer will probably take some time, but they will come.

For now, enjoy your weekend!

Congrats to everyone getting calls! I remember seeing that 404 number pop up on phone a few years back, it's pretty great.

Even though you got the job, remember to be patient with PHAP and CDC HR. Specifics on your offer will probably take some time, but they will come.

For now, enjoy your weekend!

Do emails come at the same time as the phone call or is there a lag? I'm out of the country so I won't know if I receive a call...

Do emails come at the same time as the phone call or is there a lag? I'm out of the country so I won't know if I receive a call...
The hiring process has changed a bit since I went through it. Maybe a couple of the other current applicants can answer your question?

Ahhh, congratulations to everyone that's gotten a call so far!

Also, could everyone share their home/current city, their assigned location, and whether or not this was in their regional preference? Just curious to see where everyone is going and coming from!

Congratulations everybody! I'm excited for all of you and I haven't even applied! lol I just finished my 3rd year and I'm thinking about applying for PHAP during my senior year. Does anybody know how much experience they expect out of people who are applying during their last year in college? The only experience I have is working as an Envirnonmental Health intern for a year and working as a Health Academy assistant last summer. Any input would be appreciated!

oh man congrats to everyone who has made it so far!! I am on pins and needles! I hope it happens. :confused::confused: anyone in region 4 hear back yet?

oh man congrats to everyone who has made it so far!! I am on pins and needles! I hope it happens. :confused::confused: anyone in region 4 hear back yet?

Same here!....I am surprised they started it on Friday....either way I'm in the same boat as you :cool: region 4 I believe

got the call earlier today. will be in ny! congrats to those who have heard so far! good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got the offer today for Springfield, MO. Are there are other PHAPs already located there or going there ???

Congrats to everyone that has had an offer! I'm still waiting to hear something and am getting nervous. Are all the offers made on the same day? Or is this a more lengthy process? Thanks!

Congrats to everyone that has had an offer! I'm still waiting to hear something and am getting nervous. Are all the offers made on the same day? Or is this a more lengthy process? Thanks!

Last year it looks like people found out over the course of about 2 weeks. Not hearing back today is nothing to worry about (although I'm definitely nervous too haha)

Last year it looks like people found out over the course of about 2 weeks. Not hearing back today is nothing to worry about (although I'm definitely nervous too haha)
Awesome. Thanks for the info! And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

got the call earlier today. will be in brooklyn, ny! congrats to everyone who has heard so far! good luck everyone! :)

Yay! The NY/NJ PHAP crew is usually a large one, so there's plenty of people to hang out with. Enjoy the city!

So getting nervous now that offers have started. Fingers crossed I get an offer