2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh...btw, this next month or so, they're going to be testing your patience. Deliberately, some would say. Stay on top of this paperwork, do it as soon as you get it and get it back to them as soon as you can. There's always problems with it and you are about to get your first real lessons in what it means to work for the government. Be polite, responsive, and persistent...they're not being malicious, they're just being bureaucratic.

Remember, we are itty-bitty cogs in a giant piece of Rube Goldberg-esque machinery. It works, it's not very efficient (again, deliberately so), and it takes time and attention to keep it working, and you're going to think the result is pretty silly looking in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who has accepted and begun the paperwork: how long did it take to receive that? I replied to my offer with my name and sent my transcript as requested, but I haven't received anything else yet. I only just did those things yesterday afternoon, so I'm probably being paranoid about not having heard back anything else from my HR recruiter. But reassurance is always nice!
I got my offer email at 7 pm and had my paperwork by 830 am the next day. I guess it just depends on the hr person doing your paperwork

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I'm a current first year PHAP stationed in New York City (in Queens). When the offers for NYC start coming in, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions! About the city, moving here, the host site, etc etc. I'm so excited for all of you.

P.S. patience is the name of the game right now .. the offers will slowly trickle in, so don't get too anxious if other people are getting offers and you are still waiting!

Hi There!
I've been creeping on this post for quite a while.. and just made an account to reach out because I've just accepted for a position in Queens, New York!!
I'd love to connect with you, feel free to 'start a conversation' with me and I can share my email :))

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has accepted and begun the paperwork: how long did it take to receive that? I replied to my offer with my name and sent my transcript as requested, but I haven't received anything else yet. I only just did those things yesterday afternoon, so I'm probably being paranoid about not having heard back anything else from my HR recruiter. But reassurance is always nice!

I formally accepted yesterday at around noon, but didn't hear back from my HR person until this morning. He said that he would try to enroll me into the system today, so I'm guessing it's all dependent on your recruiter and their workload!

Do emails come at the same time as the phone call or is there a lag? I'm out of the country so I won't know if I receive a call...

I was actually out of the country when my call came, and then a few days later I got an email saying they were trying to reach me...so if you're out of the country maybe change your voicemail message to say you aren't receiving calls!

By the way, anyone else placed in Bradenton, Florida, or know anything about that area??

Just got an offer! Phoenix, AZ! Phone call. Will be receiving a follow up email.

HELLO uhtechno! I'm a 2014 PHAP in Phoenix. We are so excited to grow our strong PHX PHAP family. I'll send you a private message soon. If you know of any others who received a Phoenix offer, please let me know.

Welcome to PHAP! It's an adventure!

I was actually out of the country when my call came, and then a few days later I got an email saying they were trying to reach me...so if you're out of the country maybe change your voicemail message to say you aren't receiving calls!

By the way, anyone else placed in Bradenton, Florida, or know anything about that area??

Congrats and welcome home! I will be placed in Sarasota which is the town south of Bradenton. Feel free to message me!

What email address are the offers being sent from? I'm going to be out of the country for a couple weeks and I'd like to set up a vacation responder for PHAP. Is it the [email protected]?

Congrats and good luck to everyone in this forum! I've just been offered an position in San Antonio, Texas via phone. Please let me know if anyone's been there before! I would love to hear any information about the area.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for all of the help and support. It has been a wild ride. I received my offer to Portland, Oregon today via phone.

What email address are the offers being sent from? I'm going to be out of the country for a couple weeks and I'd like to set up a vacation responder for PHAP. Is it the [email protected]?

Yes, they will come from an individual in HR. I would call HR and PHAP both and let them know you will not be able to access your email and see what they instruct you to do!

Yes, they will come from an individual in HR. I would call HR and PHAP both and let them know you will not be able to access your email and see what they instruct you to do!

Will do. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of calling them..... I know the website says they can't reply to individual status inquiries due to the large volume of applicants and I know it's still the first week of offers going out. But the thought of waiting until August is torture! Do any current PHAPs or anyone know if at any point if you call they give any more info? Of course I would want to wait until it seems like offers have stopped but I just can't imagine not ever hearing anything after almost 7 months of this process. I think I read a post that said original offers are over two weeks and then it goes to alternates but others have said they continue calling until even September?

Also those offered/accepted does your status change on the fms site or usajobs? In addition to my phone & email I've been checking those like crazy too :(

Reactions: 2 users
It's been torturous even if only a week has passed. I wish there was like a mass email or something that let us know yay or nay or even our ranks and like a red yellow and green light for our positions. All green will be a definite offer, yellows are alternates and unfortunately red is slim to none. But then again if I have to wait til September and it's going to happen then I will wait. I am so anxious.
Speaking of calling them..... I know the website says they can't reply to individual status inquiries due to the large volume of applicants and I know it's still the first week of offers going out. But the thought of waiting until August is torture! Do any current PHAPs or anyone know if at any point if you call they give any more info? Of course I would want to wait until it seems like offers have stopped but I just can't imagine not ever hearing anything after almost 7 months of this process. I think I read a post that said original offers are over two weeks and then it goes to alternates but others have said they continue calling until even September?

Also those offered/accepted does your status change on the fms site or usajobs? In addition to my phone & email I've been checking those like crazy too :(

It's been torturous even if only a week has passed. I wish there was like a mass email or something that let us know yay or nay or even our ranks and like a red yellow and green light for our positions. All green will be a definite offer, yellows are alternates and unfortunately red is slim to none. But then again if I have to wait til September and it's going to happen then I will wait. I am so anxious.

It has been torturous and I agree a mass email or something seems so much easier and then call with location later. I just wish there was a way to know if we are still in the running or if all this waiting is for nothing...3 months is a long wait ESP if you need to make a big move.

Oh...btw, this next month or so, they're going to be testing your patience. Deliberately, some would say. Stay on top of this paperwork, do it as soon as you get it and get it back to them as soon as you can. There's always problems with it and you are about to get your first real lessons in what it means to work for the government. Be polite, responsive, and persistent...they're not being malicious, they're just being bureaucratic.

Remember, we are itty-bitty cogs in a giant piece of Rube Goldberg-esque machinery. It works, it's not very efficient (again, deliberately so), and it takes time and attention to keep it working, and you're going to think the result is pretty silly looking in the end.
^^the best advice.
It has been torturous and I agree a mass email or something seems so much easier and then call with location later. I just wish there was a way to know if we are still in the running or if all this waiting is for nothing...3 months is a long wait ESP if you need to make a big move.
It's still not as torturous as med school apps, so if you're headed that route brace yourself. One of my top choices informed me via email that I was waitlisted. And then I got to wait for 2 more weeks to get a letter in the mail telling me I was close to the bottom of the waitlist.

^^the best advice.

It's still not as torturous as med school apps, so if you're headed that route brace yourself. One of my top choices informed me via email that I was waitlisted. And then I got to wait for 2 more weeks to get a letter in the mail telling me I was close to the bottom of the waitlist.

Yep it's still torturous at least you know where you stand on a wait list. We have no idea if or when we will get a call/email.

^^the best advice.

Ugh, my wife had that happen to when she was applying to PA schools. Unfortunately, that came after she traipsed around the country for a bunch of interviews for them. At least one of them told her on the spot that "nah, we just invite everyone who applied to interview, you don't have a chance."

Are there any last or current New Orleans folks? I received an offer this afternoon and was hoping to pick some brains about your experiences, the area, etc.

First time poster here! Congrats to everyone who has gotten an offer!! Just wanted to echo how tortuous the wait has been. I was so confident that my interview went really well (aside from being really late due to a time difference mix up). I'm trying to remain hopeful! This board has been a lifesaver for those of us dying for updates.

First time poster here! Congrats to everyone who has gotten an offer!! Just wanted to echo how tortuous the wait has been. I was so confident that my interview went really well (aside from being really late due to a time difference mix up). I'm trying to remain hopeful! This board has been a lifesaver for those of us dying for updates.

When the HR lady called my yesterday she said they are basically working around the clock to get the offers out, even working on weekends and making calls in the evening. There is absolutely no reason to give up hope!

I also felt that my interview went well and had been obsessing over my phone... Funnily enough it was in one of those moments that I wasn't watching it like a hawk that the call actually came (and I missed it!).

Are there any last or current New Orleans folks? I received an offer this afternoon and was hoping to pick some brains about your experiences, the area, etc.
I am. Feel free to PM me :)

Just sending Monday morning greetings & congratulations :happy:

Good morning everyone!!! I got a call this morning with an offer in Boulder, CO. Would love any advice about the area because I've never been and it would be a big move for me

Good morning everyone! I received a call this weekend with an offer in St. Augustine, Florida! I would love to connect with anyone from or currently in the area, or nearby areas :)

To those who are still waiting to hear back: don't give up hope! You've made it this far into the process!

Good Morning everyone! I just received a call this morning with an offer in Sante, Fe New Mexico, I am so happy and excited but kinda scared. I live in Houston Tx and New Mexico just seems off. I would love to connect with anyone from or currently in the area.

Goodluck to those still waiting back.

Does anyone know if it is true they make original offers for 2 weeks then start the alternates? I haven't seen any for NC, SC, or GA but they could also not be in this forum! Just curious. I am running out of time to make a decision about another opportunity :/

Reactions: 4 users
Good morning everyone!!! I got a call this morning with an offer in Boulder, CO. Would love any advice about the area because I've never been and it would be a big move for me
I am from Colorado and I love Boulder. It is a pretty chill town with lots of outdoor things to do. It a beautiful place and super non commercialized. It also has a large college population which means there is always something to do. There are many concerts that take place there are a ton of local stores, cafes, and eateries. It's also really close to Denver if you need to get out to a Bigger city every now and again. About a 40 minute drive.

Congratulations! I'm one of the 2015 PHAPs in ABQ. Btw, all PHAPs are OSTLTS lol. You should be getting your specific host site assignment soon. There are currently 3 of us in ABQ (two 2015s and one 2014) and 2 in Santa Fe (one 2015 and one 2014). Depending on where you are coming from, it's DEFINITELY different and will take a little time to adjust in different ways. I'm from the mid-Atlantic region...it's waaaayyyyyy different lol.

Don't be too nervous. In my short time here, it looks like the NE part of town or West of the Rio Grande are the best places to look for apartments. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. :)

Hi, my name is Pearl, I just got an offer for Sante Fe, NM. I am excited but nervous. p

⏳ it's so hard not to check stuff still struggling.

I am right there with you! I am currently on maternity leave and while I'm busy with my newborn son, it is still nearly impossible not to check my phone email every 15 minutes when he's eating or sleeping. So anxious to hear something!
⏳ it's so hard not to check stuff still struggling.

I've been going through theories in my head to cope with the wait. I noticed that I haven't seen many offers for 5 or 7 (Midwest area % includes Chicago, Il, my home to). Which are my preference zones. From observation the zones have been 2, 4,6, 8 that I've seen offers given. Maybe they are doing placements by regions. I'll cross my fingers an not be so anxious.

Hello all! I'm a current first year PHAP stationed in New York City (in Queens). When the offers for NYC start coming in, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions! About the city, moving here, the host site, etc etc. I'm so excited for all of you.

P.S. patience is the name of the game right now .. the offers will slowly trickle in, so don't get too anxious if other people are getting offers and you are still waiting!
Hi, I just accepted an offer to Queens, NY! I would love to hear more about it

Hi All!
Just received an offer to Doral, Florida! I've been watching this thread for a while and it has kept me sane while waiting! Does anyone have any information about this area?

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I've been going through theories in my head to cope with the wait. I noticed that I haven't seen many offers for 5 or 7 (Midwest area % includes Chicago, Il, my home to). Which are my preference zones. From observation the zones have been 2, 4,6, 8 that I've seen offers given. Maybe they are doing placements by regions. I'll cross my fingers an not be so anxious.

I know I've only seen one offer for the Midwest, which was Cleveland, OH, and that person turned it down. I preferenced the Midwest as well, so I'm crossing my fingers they just haven't quite gotten to it yet!

Congratulations to all the who have made it this far!! Just received an offer to Rockville, MD! So grateful that this thread has been available throughout this process. If any future or pasts PHAPs from the Rockville area are interested in networking or have any suggestions about living in the area please don't hesitate to message me!!!!

Best of luck to all those still in the running!

Congratulations to all the who have made it this far!! Just received an offer to Rockville, MD! So grateful that this thread has been available throughout this process. If any future or pasts PHAPs from the Rockville area are interested in networking or have any suggestions about living in the area please don't hesitate to message me!!!!

Best of luck to all those still in the running!
Congratulations! According to the map on the cdc website I haven't seen any Rockville PHAP but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Anywho, I am partially familiar with the area. Where are you currently located?

Rockville, Huh? Go stop by the NIH and make some contacts! (Of course, that assumes that you weren't somehow incredibly lucky and actually ended UP at NIH...)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster, full-time freaking out...

On Saturday, I received an offer via phone though I missed the call and was left with a voicemail. I returned HR's phone call 2 hours later with a phone call and a follow-up email. The only response I've received since then was this morning, asking whether I'm a federal employee. Of course, I responded with the quickness. Although, my HR POC hasn't contacted/informed me any further regarding more paperwork nor location. I've been calling my HR POC all day.

Are my email and voicemail sufficient enough for an acceptance? I haven't received any further emails or phone calls. I am freaking out a lot-a-bit, as many of you mentioned having received your location, been asked for transcripts, started paperwork, etc..

Last year I was accepted to PHAP in Trenton, NJ but did not see the acceptance email in my junk inbox. I had responded days late and my offer was given to an alternate.

I don't want to miss this valuable opportunity ..........again.

EDIT 6/21/16 @8:06am PST - Called my HR POC first thing in the morning (CA time) and was able to get a hold of her. She confirmed my acceptance and...I'll be in St. Paul, MN!! Anyone have info on St. Paul?? Looking forward to being part of the PHAP family!

Last edited:
The wait is over!! I got an offer in Billings, MT! I've never left home before (Chicago!) so I'm pretty scared, but completely thrilled to have been extended this opportunity! Another other Montana folks out there...let's get in touch!
EDIT: I received a phone call at 3:30 central time from HR, and it was from a 707 number! Time to wait patiently for the actual email, haha :whistle:

Last edited:
Just got my offer to Long Island, NY! I'm so excited!! Any other New York offers???

got the call earlier today. will be in ny! congrats to those who have heard so far! good luck everyone! :)
Hi, I just got my offer to Long Island, NY! Where are you going to be located? This is so exciting!

Congratulations! According to the map on the cdc website I haven't seen any Rockville PHAP but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Anywho, I am partially familiar with the area. Where are you currently located?

Thank you! I am coming from Florida (Tallahassee) and haven't been in the Northeast since I was a child so I'm sure it will be a bit of a culture shock. If you want message me, I would love to hear about your experiences in the Rockville area :)

Rockville, Huh? Go stop by the NIH and make some contacts! (Of course, that assumes that you weren't somehow incredibly lucky and actually ended UP at NIH...)

NIH! That would be awesome!!!

Congrats everyone! I got my call today, I'll be in Denver! I'm so excited!!! :soexcited:

I'm coming from Utah (although I lived in Manhattan for school the last few years). I got placed in my first preference region. Something close to Salt Lake would have been nice, but truly I had my fingers crossed for somewhere in Colorado!

Still waiting for my email containing more info. Just celebrating today :)

To those of you still waiting, good luck!