2016 texas market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homoochan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I've been searching for DFW area jobs in anticipation of graduation next year. I've searched SDN and last thread about TX job market was in 2014. How is it in 2016? I think there are big companies such as IES and EMC in DFW area. How do they compare to SDG? Also, how is pay like these days? Is $200/hr still the norm or has it gone down since 2014? The job search has been quite overwhelming and I'd appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

IES is simply EmCare. They're a carve out company. Don't know anything about EMC.
$200/hr is the bottom of the barrel today. You can get that working at a FSED seeing 4pts/24. Busy shops are paying $300 or more.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that base $200/hr base + $ RVU? Or is it base pay $180-ish + $ RVU totaling $200/hr?
If someone is telling me base pay will be $170 in Dallas area (not FSED), then that's out of the ordinary?
I'm also assuming that what partners are making and new grads are making will be different as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that base $200/hr base + $ RVU? Or is it base pay $180-ish + $ RVU totaling $200/hr?
If someone is telling me base pay will be $170 in Dallas area (not FSED), then that's out of the ordinary?
I'm also assuming that what partners are making and new grads are making will be different as well.
There are a few democratic groups in Texas, but the overwhelming majority are CMGs. There are not partners in CMGs. However, FSEDs have drastically worsened the shortage thus upping the pay.
If they're paying RVUs that's different, and you'd have to see what each shop pays per RVU. There aren't great comparisons, so you'd have to ask the guys who work there what their take home is.
I will say that while I approve of the idea of RVUs, the way CMGs do it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. During the 2 years we did RVU I had to argue with billing nearly every month. That meant keeping a log of all my patients and having to have them double check who they were counting vs who I was seeing. Then they decided we were making too much, so they increased the base rate but took away the RVUs, basically causing a pay cut to the hard workers and a raise to the slugs.

Maybe I'm new to the area and just don't have the right connections but I had a hard time finding gigs paying 300$+. 220-275 seemed pretty run of the mill though.

Maybe I'm new to the area and just don't have the right connections but I had a hard time finding gigs paying 300$+. 220-275 seemed pretty run of the mill though.
It's pretty easy. When they ask you to work more shifts than your contract requires, you ask them for more money. If they say no, oh well. If they say yes, then good for you. If they try to make you work more, then that's a bad omen and breach of contract. Time to leave.

Hello SDN!

I've been searching for DFW area jobs in anticipation of graduation next year. I've searched SDN and last thread about TX job market was in 2014. How is it in 2016? I think there are big companies such as IES and EMC in DFW area. How do they compare to SDG? Also, how is pay like these days? Is $200/hr still the norm or has it gone down since 2014? The job search has been quite overwhelming and I'd appreciate any input!
Yeah fsed should be 180 up for very few per hour. I'm at an RVU gig in the area. You can pm me if you want details

I can give you some of the lowdown on DFW and somewhat for Houston. PM for more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EM docs should not make less than 275/hr IC or $225/hr with nice benefit package.

FSED should pull in close to 200/hr doing very little.

I know many docs with contracts making 300/hr. I have a Locums base contract paying 325/hr that is not even worth it to do anymore. I don't get out of bed unless I get 400+/hr doing locums.

I know many docs with contracts making 300/hr. I have a Locums base contract paying 325/hr that is not even worth it to do anymore. I don't get out of bed unless I get 400+/hr doing locums.

stop_penis_erect_archer-gap.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
EM docs should not make less than 275/hr IC or $225/hr with nice benefit package.

FSED should pull in close to 200/hr doing very little.

Must be nice...just recently moved to the Houston area to make 265 w2 being busier than I thought I was going to be. I don't think anyone advertises being 300+. You probably have to be credentialed at a few spots and be available short notice when they're desperate.

IES is simply EmCare. They're a carve out company.

Not true, and as far as the OP you should be able to get 250/hr plus benefits (health ins 401k with match) or close to 300 without benefits in DFW. IES staffs the Baylor Scott and white facilities, tenant staffs a few smaller hospitals, EMcare now staffs medical city and all of the old questcare sites, surgical centers pay 180 in DFW (also mostly EMcare staffed, rarely does a BCEP work at these places due to the pay, almost entirely FP IM etc.) FSEDs like first choice pay around 185 flat rate but theyll pay a bonus of 1-2k for their "busy" sites for last minute coverage. I've heard of higher bonuses on occasion. Easy sites where you see 3 pts in 24h usually no problem staffing so no bonus. I know of one site rumored to be recently paying $325/hr in the metroplex, unsure if true... These numbers are all inclusive of RVU plus hourly or however the pay is chopped up.

Not true, and as far as the OP you should be able to get 250/hr plus benefits (health ins 401k with match) or close to 300 without benefits in DFW. IES staffs the Baylor Scott and white facilities, tenant staffs a few smaller hospitals, EMcare now staffs medical city and all of the old questcare sites, surgical centers pay 180 in DFW (also mostly EMcare staffed, rarely does a BCEP work at these places due to the pay, almost entirely FP IM etc.) FSEDs like first choice pay around 185 flat rate but theyll pay a bonus of 1-2k for their "busy" sites for last minute coverage. I've heard of higher bonuses on occasion. Easy sites where you see 3 pts in 24h usually no problem staffing so no bonus. I know of one site rumored to be recently paying $325/hr in the metroplex, unsure if true... These numbers are all inclusive of RVU plus hourly or however the pay is chopped up.

What happened to Questcare? Did they get bought out or lose the contracts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Must be nice...just recently moved to the Houston area to make 265 w2 being busier than I thought I was going to be. I don't think anyone advertises being 300+. You probably have to be credentialed at a few spots and be available short notice when they're desperate.

My 325/hr locums around the Houston area is guaranteed. They have 20+ spots open every month. It's just not worth driving 3 hrs to work it when I can drive 1 hr getting 450+/hr.

Your 265 has benefits which adds about another 25-50/hr depending on richness of benefits.

Not that much different than 325 ic

I know of a 325/ hr that they can't get enough people to Staff. I make about 250/hr in a nice easy to work place. Why would I want to drive anywhere if I'm getting a lousy 75/hr working in likely a dump.

450-500 starts to wake me up a little only if I have nothing to do.

There used to be regular 650/hr locums that appears to have vanished.

If I was an EM docs, the job would have to depend on what I want right now in life. If I am just into paying off Loans/wanting to save money, Do Locums. If you want to not travel and want to be a Real ED doc all the time, you can get $275+/hr easily if you can breath in OK places. If you want a mix, the Do part FSED at 180-200/hr and busy ED at 275+ hr.

Guys, the EM world is your oyster. Your life changes, your priority changes, EM can change with you. I have done all of the above and constantly change my mix.

I am at a point now where I am doing Part time main read ED medicine, Part Locums, and Part FSED. Hopefully in the next yr, I will shift to 1/2 locums + 1/2 Locums FSED where I can make my schedule.

EM medicine allows you great control over your life and practice.

If I was an EM docs, the job would have to depend on what I want right now in life. If I am just into paying off Loans/wanting to save money, Do Locums. If you want to not travel and want to be a Real ED doc all the time, you can get $275+/hr easily if you can breath in OK places. If you want a mix, the Do part FSED at 180-200/hr and busy ED at 275+ hr.

Guys, the EM world is your oyster. Your life changes, your priority changes, EM can change with you. I have done all of the above and constantly change my mix.

I am at a point now where I am doing Part time main read ED medicine, Part Locums, and Part FSED. Hopefully in the next yr, I will shift to 1/2 locums + 1/2 Locums FSED where I can make my schedule.

I agree that you should assess your life at the time- outside interests, need for income, debt level, career desires and design your career to get you what you're looking for at that stage of your life.

But I would caution new grads to take a long term view. You WILL NOT care about the same things 2 years out and 10 years out that you care about now. You won't care how much trauma you're seeing, but you'll care about how much control you have over your pay vs patients per hour, vacation time etc. When given the option, take the job where you get more control. And pay attention to the people. Crappy environment with good people is bliss. Wonderful environment with bad people sucks. But if you can get both a good work environment and good people- you've got the holy grail. There are still jobs out there where no one leaves, but you might as well get paid well if you haven't gotten into one yet.

Reactions: 1 users

What is your opinion of the future of EM? I am drawn to both EM and Gas but the latter people are running away from and the former is like the hottest speciality right now. I suppose I don't exactly see why, from a business perspective, that is. Both get pillaged by the suits, both have midlevel "encroachment". They seem very similar, from a business perspective. Yet, EM salaries are skyrocketing and Gas are going the opposite direction.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can spell it out to me. I am weary about buying high but how long, realistically, can the EM gravy train roll on for?

-Sincerely, your average med student drowning in debt.

Anesthesiologists still make more than emergency docs for the most part. They're both great specialties and you'll do just fine financially in either, so choose based on which you love more. I wouldn't worry much about the midlevel issue. It hasn't changed much in 20 years and probably won't during your career. Are you going to have to supervise some CRNAs or PAs? Sure. Are they going to "take your job?" No.

What is your opinion of the future of EM? I am drawn to both EM and Gas but the latter people are running away from and the former is like the hottest speciality right now. I suppose I don't exactly see why, from a business perspective, that is. Both get pillaged by the suits, both have midlevel "encroachment". They seem very similar, from a business perspective. Yet, EM salaries are skyrocketing and Gas are going the opposite direction.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can spell it out to me. I am weary about buying high but how long, realistically, can the EM gravy train roll on for?

Gas and EM are completely different fields. I think deep down inside you know what fits you better. Do you want to run around seeing all kinds of patients and have try to figure out each puzzle. Or do you want to run around putting people to sleep, doing procedures on the L&D floor all day?

The pay for both is very similar. Gas on avg makes alittle more but have to work much more hours. I know many of my gas colleagues work 50-60 hrs a week and make about what I make. This past month, I worked 100 hrs at my reg job and pulled in 23k, 12K locums working 24 hrs. So I made what they made working 30hrs a week.

People say EM medicine is touch and 30 hrs is 45-50 hrs. I disagree with this but I rather work a hard 30 hrs than an easier 50 hrs making the same $$.

I would not worry about Midlevels affecting our pay. There is a big shortage of EM docs now and likely won't change my in the next 10 yrs.

In my opinion, the future of all hospital based fields is dimmer than the future of all non hospital based fields.