2016 Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone now if Western rejects people from their interview pool? Or are they like USC where all students who do not get accepted automatically becomes waitlisted? Also, what is the difference of "hold" and "alternate"?

If i remember correctly three things can happen after an interview you're either accepted, place on hold, or rejected (yes they do reject applicants right after an interview). Keep in mind that Western only has 3 interview dates (usually it's 4 I have no idea why it's only 3 this year) so there are a lot of applicants at each interview. Last year I help host one of the interviews and there were a lot of people so I am assuming since there are only 3 interview dates this application round there must be even more people.
Being on hold is completely different from being an alternate. Being on hold means that they have not decided if they want to accept you or not so you're "on hold" until they have interview the other applicants. Don't freak out yet if you're put on hold I and a lot of my classmates were put on hold and accepted after the next interviews were done. I'm assuming a lot of people will be put on hold since they've only seen the applicants from the Dec. interview. Being an alternate is the same thing as being waitlisted basically the only way you're getting in is if someone gives up their spot. Don't give up hope if you're waitlisted a good handful of people from my class was pulled off the waitlist. :D

wanttobepharm you are correct there is 120 people in each class.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if most WesternU applicants are lurkers or non-SDNers, but the numbers of accepted so far seem very low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if most WesternU applicants are lurkers or non-SDNers, but the numbers of accepted so far seem very low.

Do you know when WesternU will be sending out the next batch of interview interviews. Thank you!

Do you know when WesternU will be sending out the next batch of interview interviews. Thank you!

I thought they would've sent them out this week (3 weeks prior), but I guess it will be next week for sure.

Yes I would imagine next week to be a good estimate. Since this week they have been busy with acceptances

Is anyone who got accepted going to Western FOR SURE or are they still waiting to hear back from other schools?

Is anyone who got accepted going to Western FOR SURE or are they still waiting to hear back from other schools?

I'm putting my deposit down for sure. I got waitlisted for UOP and USC, and if I get into one of these two schools I think I'll jump on it. I also have interviews for Temple and Midwestern Chicago, but I'm debating if I should go to them. How about you?

I'm putting my deposit down for sure. I got waitlisted for UOP and USC, and if I get into one of these two schools I think I'll jump on it. I also have interviews for Temple and Midwestern Chicago, but I'm debating if I should go to them. How about you?

How much is the deposit?

Yeah I wouldn't bother with out of state interviews if you have gotten into Western if I were you. I have an interview at UOP Friday and UCSF in Feb - no word from USC yet. I'd love to go to UCSF because of the heavy research focus but I haven't even interviewed yet lol. I need to put the deposit down too. For the person who asked, it's $500 :( I had to work for months to save up that much money...

Yeah I wouldn't bother with out of state interviews if you have gotten into Western if I were you. I have an interview at UOP Friday and UCSF in Feb - no word from USC yet. I'd love to go to UCSF because of the heavy research focus but I haven't even interviewed yet lol. I need to put the deposit down too. For the person who asked, it's $500 :( I had to work for months to save up that much money...

i'm with you jackie...:( My heart ached a bit while writing the check....

Members don't see this ad :)
yiiiikes!!! 2,000?? Oh jeez. Some of these schools are just money hungry.

yiiiikes!!! 2,000?? Oh jeez. Some of these schools are just money hungry.

It's their way of keeping you committed so you wont drop your seat. If everyone only requires $100 deposits, I'm sure the Accepted seats - Waitlist movement will experience insane fluctuations.

So I wonder who got accepted and thinking of attending WesternU

It's their way of keeping you committed so you wont drop your seat. If everyone only requires $100 deposits, I'm sure the Accepted seats - Waitlist movement will experience insane fluctuations.

So I wonder who got accepted and thinking of attending WesternU

Honestly, I don't think that's the reason. The reason why some schools have a really high deposit is because they know students will prefer other schools (if given the choice) but that students still want to play it safe by putting down a deposit. This way, Touro profits 2k from students knowing that as soon as students get accepted to another school they'll peace out from Touro even if it costs them the 2k. I'm not saying this to bag on Touro but it IS a newer school and most students would prefer other schools in CA if given the opportunity.

I had this discussion with my friend who's applying to med school. He says lower ranked med schools have really high deposits, whereas stellar schools like UCLA don't even have a deposit...because they know that if you get into UCLA, you're not budging from your seat :laugh:

Honestly, I don't think that's the reason. The reason why some schools have a really high deposit is because they know students will prefer other schools (if given the choice) but that students still want to play it safe by putting down a deposit. This way, Touro profits 2k from students knowing that as soon as students get accepted to another school they'll peace out from Touro even if it costs them the 2k. I'm not saying this to bag on Touro but it IS a newer school and most students would prefer other schools in CA if given the opportunity.

I had this discussion with my friend who's applying to med school. He says lower ranked med schools have really high deposits, whereas stellar schools like UCLA don't even have a deposit...because they know that if you get into UCLA, you're not budging from your seat :laugh:

haha, you have a point.

I think everyone here have UCSF/USC/UOP coming up so it'll be interesting to see who chooses western.

^Jackie B....well, we choose to attend a certain school for various reasons: its reputation, the curriculum, proximity to home etc....ones may prioritize the school's reputation while making the decision. Others may choose it based on different reasons.... they are impressed by the school's curriculum or the faculty's commitment.....I have worked under a few pharmacists who graduated from different pharmacy schools. They are all competent. That being said, choose the school that you think you will do well and happy throughout the next 4 years! GL :)

^Jackie B....well, we choose to attend a certain school for various reasons: its reputation, the curriculum, proximity to home etc....ones may prioritize the school's reputation while making the decision. Others may choose it based on different reasons.... they are impressed by the school's curriculum or the faculty's commitment.....I have worked under a few pharmacists who graduated from different pharmacy schools. They are all competent. That being said, choose the school that you think you will do well and happy throughout the next 4 years! GL :)

very well said..touche! it's not all about the rank from us news. lol

look up all the schools that you're most definitely interested in and from those top choice schools, ask students about their personal experience with everything outside and within academics.I am sure you will find some surprising news..

lol thanks Camnvan!!!! I have heard discouraging news about pharm schools in general.....I guess I gotta manage my time better....GL to you and everyone here!

yes of course, you def. need to pick the school that is right for you! students prioritize different things. what I was trying to say is, it's hard to prioritize a new school because it's less established, things are probably still "in the works", not enough grads yet, less people to talk to about it, and with the whole saturated pharmacy thing there is a LOT of negative attitude towards "new schools". Well this is a Western thread so I do like Western cuz it's pharm school has been around for what, 15 or 20 years? not bad!!!

I respect your view on this. Western U is a great school. I haven't thought about "the whole saturated pharmacy thing." you're quite right. However, IMHO If new schools are ACCREDITED and achieved amazing stats on the Naplex and other competitions, as a student I would not have negative attitudes toward the schools....but maybe preceptors will have negative attitude? haha I don't know. If I attend a new school, I have to find out about this at rotation sites....GL on your other interviews!

After viewing this thread, I thought I would register and provide information if I had any. I'm just waiting for an interview invite. Hopefully, I will receive one this week. BTW, nice to meet you all.

If i remember correctly three things can happen after an interview you're either accepted, place on hold, or rejected (yes they do reject applicants right after an interview). Keep in mind that Western only has 3 interview dates (usually it's 4 I have no idea why it's only 3 this year) so there are a lot of applicants at each interview. Last year I help host one of the interviews and there were a lot of people so I am assuming since there are only 3 interview dates this application round there must be even more people.
Being on hold is completely different from being an alternate. Being on hold means that they have not decided if they want to accept you or not so you're "on hold" until they have interview the other applicants. Don't freak out yet if you're put on hold I and a lot of my classmates were put on hold and accepted after the next interviews were done. I'm assuming a lot of people will be put on hold since they've only seen the applicants from the Dec. interview. Being an alternate is the same thing as being waitlisted basically the only way you're getting in is if someone gives up their spot. Don't give up hope if you're waitlisted a good handful of people from my class was pulled off the waitlist. :D

wanttobepharm you are correct there is 120 people in each class.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your interviews!

Hi Member,

how long after the next interview did you receive your acceptance notification? And, did you call the admissions office to find out about the status of your file during that difficult waiting period???

Hi Member,

how long after the next interview did you receive your acceptance notification? And, did you call the admissions office to find out about the status of your file during that difficult waiting period???

Typically, acceptance statuses should be sent by mail 3-4 weeks after the interview. I advise that you SHOULD NOT call the admissions office to find out about the status during the waiting period. I've heard time and time again that patience is key (which also happens to be a good quality of a pharmacist). However, I do believe that you should call if you haven't received any news after everyone have. Some SDNers post their status on the board so be sure to check around when you should be expecting the mail.

I know the wait is a killer...but it's no biggie. :)

I know this is early since there is another full week until the next interview, but does anyone have any questions/concerns?

I'm not a current student but I was in the December interview and may be able to ease some nerves.

:)

I know this is early since there is another full week until the next interview, but does anyone have any questions/concerns?

I'm not a current student but I was in the December interview and may be able to ease some nerves.

:)

Thanks, but any one got interview for next week , less than 10 days left....

Hi Member,

I don't remember the specific dates, but I remember I interviewed in Feb, go put on hold in March, and was accepted in April. I did not call the admissions office to find out my status. When I was put on hold I received a letter from the school and when I was accepted I received an email and a phone call from my interviewer on the same day.

I don't remember the specific dates, but I remember I interviewed in Feb, go put on hold in March, and was accepted in April. I did not call the admissions office to find out my status. When I was put on hold I received a letter from the school and when I was accepted I received an email and a phone call from my interviewer on the same day.

I received a call from my interviewer the day after I got accepted. I thought it added a little personal touch. :)

Hi,
Does anyone know if pharmacy schools will see our winter and spring grades, do they ask for us to send our transcripts to them if they put us on hold?

Hi,
Does anyone know if pharmacy schools will see our winter and spring grades, do they ask for us to send our transcripts to them if they put us on hold?

I think some pharmacy schools with definitely see your winter grades through Academic Update. However, for spring grades, you will have to send your official transcripts to the school that accepts you and you have decided to attend.

I wondering the same thing and I'm in the same boat as you are...Really anxious.

Same here Stig Pharm. I have been sitting and waiting on my laptop for the past three days. I am dont understand what is taking them soooo long!!!

I think they were pretty on time with the 2 weeks prior invite for the December interview.

Another flippin' day with no interview response...GOSH!

I got the call for the interview today around 1230 for next Saturday. If u didn't get the call, you'll get it tomm.

I got the call for the interview today around 1230 for next Saturday. If u didn't get the call, you'll get it tomm.

If you don't me asking, when did you submit your all application material?

I think early September. I got the Dec interview but couldn't make it bc of finals

Just out of curiosity, will it hurt my chances if I call them about my status? I'm a December interviewer and I've left a voicemail and also left an email. I'm starting to regret it.....

Just out of curiosity, will it hurt my chances if I call them about my status? I'm a December interviewer and I've left a voicemail and also left an email. I'm starting to regret it.....

I interviewed on Dec 10th and I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I do not understand why it is taking so long. I do not contact them for my status. I am not worried because I got accepted to other schools.

I didn't do well on the interview because my interviewer was mean, asked wired and difficult questions.

i dont understand how asking them about my status could negatively affect my chances??? if anything doesnt it SHOW them that i REALLY want to go to this school?

I think it gives them an impatient vibe. But it could also depend on which admissions person received your email/call. December interviewees have heard back, if you have not heard anything I would guess that they put you on "hold". They will probably take a look at your application/interview feedbacks as the admissions process move along. I'm not too sure, but they could be like UOP/USC and not reject anyone until the very end. If that's the case, whoever didn't hear back are all on the "hold" list. Which sort of sucks imo...since they leave you hanging like that.

Congratulations on your other acceptance. :thumbup:

I think it gives them an impatient vibe. But it could also depend on which admissions person received your email/call. December interviewees have heard back, if you have not heard anything I would guess that they put you on "hold". They will probably take a look at your application/interview feedbacks as the admissions process move along. I'm not too sure, but they could be like UOP/USC and not reject anyone until the very end. If that's the case, whoever didn't hear back are all on the "hold" list. Which sort of sucks imo...since they leave you hanging like that.

Congratulations on your other acceptance. :thumbup:
USC will start rejecting people after the second interview , admission offcie told me ....by the way any one got call for next interview yet??

I only saw one person,who postponed her interview from dec to jan ....omg this wait is killing me ...

I only saw one person,who postponed her interview from dec to jan ....omg this wait is killing me ...

Has wester began calling people for the jan 28 interview?

If they haven't started calling people for an interview that is happening next Saturday, that will be a bit irresponsible...

I personally know one friend that's gotten interview, but she's not on SDN. Don't worry, it'll come... They interview a large amount of applicants a day anyways.