2017-2018 APPIC INTERNSHIP APPLICATION THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiaWallace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on previous threads, right now is the time to start thinking about the upcoming APPIC/predoctoral internship application cycle! This is a good space to discuss the application process, any questions that might pop up, and just general commiseration. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on previous threads, right now is the time to start thinking about the upcoming APPIC/predoctoral internship application cycle! This is a good space to discuss the application process, any questions that might pop up, and just general commiseration. Good luck all!

This means that the process has really started! Where is everyone in the process thus far? I think I have my final list compiled (13 internship sites), but have yet to start on any of my essays or documents.

Thank you for starting this! I'm jazzed to finally be at this stage!

I have narrowed my list down to 20 then added on a few and am now at 30 sites, so that's a thing that needs a lot more whittling. Finished my cover letter template, CV is a work in progress, and have rough outlines of my essays.

Speaking of sites... what kind of variety of sites and how many is everyone planning on?

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working on my list of sites. Ideally, I would like sites that have both adult and child/adolescent training, but I am finding those to be the minority with more sites having specific tracks. I am certainly wishing sites would update their information on APPIC already!

I am working on my list of sites. Ideally, I would like sites that have both adult and child/adolescent training, but I am finding those to be the minority with more sites having specific tracks. I am certainly wishing sites would update their information on APPIC already!

I know that Indiana University offers both adult and child. In fact, you have to do at least a bit of both. I've only heard good things about it so far!!

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the suggestion. I am in a Counseling Psychology program and I know some programs are open only to Clinical Psychology - which further narrows the field. But I am both excited and nervous to finally be at this stage.

I searched and found a thread from the past that asked this question, but it was not answered - is there a way, other than calculating % of applicants who get an interview, to determine competitiveness of sites? I really don't want to accidentally apply to all "reach" sites, but compared to college and even grad school applications, competitiveness of sites seems a lot harder to determine. What I've been doing so far is looking to see where people from my program have gotten interviews to sort of gauge this, and I know some general rules (e.g., AMCs tend to be competitive), but any other advice would be appreciated.

By the way singasongofjoy- looked up Indiana's program today out of curiosity- looks awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
I searched and found a thread from the past that asked this question, but it was not answered - is there a way, other than calculating % of applicants who get an interview, to determine competitiveness of sites? I really don't want to accidentally apply to all "reach" sites, but compared to college and even grad school applications, competitiveness of sites seems a lot harder to determine. What I've been doing so far is looking to see where people from my program have gotten interviews to sort of gauge this, and I know some general rules (e.g., AMCs tend to be competitive), but any other advice would be appreciated.

By the way singasongofjoy- looked up Indiana's program today out of curiosity- looks awesome!

I think once you know how many applicants versus interviews offered and positions available the rest is about fit. Do they regularly take students from your program (as you mentioned)? Do you have the appropriate research/experience/hours/ etc.? Then there's location. From what I understand, some sites are more competitive simply because they happen to be in really great locations.

That being said, I too am struggling with fit and, although I want nothing more than to work for a VA, I wonder if I need to apply to other sites as well.

Hi everyone,
I'm excited to finally be at this stage! I'm interested in programs with a strong ASD/DD emphasis and am hoping that others may be able to let me know if I am missing any from my list so far. To give you a bit of context, I am more research oriented and hope to eventually be in a primarily research role in the future though I've been advised to think of internship as a clinical year and to count on a post doc to increase research productivity.

My stats are: 700ish intervention and 300ish assessment hours (range of settings with a variety of populations - including ASD/DD)/ 14 publications (5 first author) with a couple more hopefully to be submitted this summer/ dissertation proposal approved, data collected and on track to defend sometime before leaving on internship/ no geographic restrictions (yay for flexible partners!)

Here are my "reach" schools on my short list so far (I have less competitive sites that I intend to also apply to but they are more locally based and not necessarily ASD/DD specific):

University of Denver JFK
Children hospital colorado
OHSU
CHOP
Yale
Marcus Autism Centre
University of Miami
Kennedy Krieger

I didn't include Brown because they seem to emphasize faculty research matches and I can't really stretch my interests to match.

Can anyone suggest any other sites/have any insight into the sites I mentioned?

Thanks for your help!

Hey all- I intend on applying this fall too. SOOO nervous. I have about 20 sites down and my tentative 16 I'm interested in

In re: to ASD research, I unfortunately don't have much expertise in this area... but it seems like a decent list so far. CHOP is highly competitive from my understanding - but 14 pubs is pretty impressive!

Here are some other sites that students from the ASD lab from my program often apply to (just looking at our past application data spreadsheet) - these are also neuro people so not sure if these sites are all ASD focused, so I apologize if I lead you down any fruitless research!

University of Chicago Medicine
UCLA - Semel Institute
Barrow Neurological Institute/Phoenix Child Hosp
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
Duke University Medical Center
Children's National Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hosp
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Children's Hospital of Orange County
New York University Medical Ctr/Rusk Institute

ASD-focused people in my program have also interviewed/matched at UNC, MUSC, WPIC, and UAB. Autism is a competitive area but you seem to have a good chance!

I think once you know how many applicants versus interviews offered and positions available the rest is about fit. Do they regularly take students from your program (as you mentioned)? Do you have the appropriate research/experience/hours/ etc.? Then there's location. From what I understand, some sites are more competitive simply because they happen to be in really great locations.

That being said, I too am struggling with fit and, although I want nothing more than to work for a VA, I wonder if I need to apply to other sites as well.
I think it is wisest to apply to a range of sites just in case the VA sites aren't a good match for some unknown reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any recommendations for general child clinical AMC/consortium sites to look into? I'm having a little difficulty finding good matches for someone who has done a wide range of generalist training. A lot of sites seem really peds focused, and while I have a little peds experience, I'm definitely more of a child clinical person so I worry about not seeming like a good fit. I'm also open to sites in which I'd do a little adult work.

Relatedly, anyone else having trouble with some sites providing very little information about rotations? I wonder what the best way to get info is when sites don't have a brochure.

I think it is wisest to apply to a range of sites just in case the VA sites aren't a good match for some unknown reason.
Thank you, that seems like sound advice. Question though, what might constitute a good fit specific to VA's? I've heard that having clinical/ research experience with veterans is a plus but not an absolute requirement. What else?

Thank you, that seems like sound advice. Question though, what might constitute a good fit specific to VA's? I've heard that having clinical/ research experience with veterans is a plus but not an absolute requirement. What else?
Don't know myself because I didn't match to VAs although I applied to several because I thought it might have been a good fit. ;)

@kathygeiss - you might consider U of MD's consortium - combo of AMC and the VA. They have a school mental health rotation and child clinic OP, with some research time. Child OP is a commitment hours-wise, but good experience and good supervision IMO. Kennedy Krieger's Child & Family Therapy track might also fit the bill for you, but no research time in that one.

@freudianslippin - I LOVED my interview at Montefiore - awesome opportunities and the interns were really happy. I applied to the combined OP ranked it fairly high. I really wanted to like Bellevue, but if you do the combined with NYU Child Study Center, the hours seemed really unrealistic and the interns when I interviewed in the fall were absolutely exhausted. Great opportunities and training there - certainly a wide breadth of experiences - but hours + pay made it fall very low on my list in the end. There would be no way to make that position work without loans unless you have a well-off partner or good savings.

Aah, I guess it's real! Reading your responses I feel a bit behind...I'm in the middle of comprehensive exam preparation and that's taken up most of my summer so far.

I have a large list of possible sites (CCC and CMH) that I need to narrow down. I'm largely interested in rural sites. My hours are pretty darn measly due to low show rates (~50%) at the CMH practicums I've been in the past 3 years. :oops:

Aah, I guess it's real! Reading your responses I feel a bit behind...I'm in the middle of comprehensive exam preparation and that's taken up most of my summer so far.

I have a large list of possible sites (CCC and CMH) that I need to narrow down. I'm largely interested in rural sites. My hours are pretty darn measly due to low show rates (~50%) at the CMH practicums I've been in the past 3 years. :oops:
Great preparation for the real world though. :p
Just saying that to express some of my own frustration because it has been a bad couple of weeks for me with no shows and if they don't show, I don't get paid. :(
Good luck with the applications, community mental health is good experience in my book. You might want to look at state hospitals too since they work with similar populations and at least then you won't have to worry about the no shows. :)

Hi everyone,
I'm excited to finally be at this stage! I'm interested in programs with a strong ASD/DD emphasis and am hoping that others may be able to let me know if I am missing any from my list so far. To give you a bit of context, I am more research oriented and hope to eventually be in a primarily research role in the future though I've been advised to think of internship as a clinical year and to count on a post doc to increase research productivity.

My stats are: 700ish intervention and 300ish assessment hours (range of settings with a variety of populations - including ASD/DD)/ 14 publications (5 first author) with a couple more hopefully to be submitted this summer/ dissertation proposal approved, data collected and on track to defend sometime before leaving on internship/ no geographic restrictions (yay for flexible partners!)

Here are my "reach" schools on my short list so far (I have less competitive sites that I intend to also apply to but they are more locally based and not necessarily ASD/DD specific):

University of Denver JFK
OHSU
CHOP
Yale
Marcus Autism Centre
University of Miami
Kennedy Krieger

I didn't include Brown because they seem to emphasize faculty research matches and I can't really stretch my interests to match.

Thanks for your help!
The Nebraska Internship Consortium might also be of interest - it includes Munroe Meyer Institute.

@CompleteUnknown I'm also behind most of the people on this site- trying to focus on proposing & piloting dissertation because I can't apply without that stage being finished! I think I'm just going to have to get used to feeling comparatively behind.

I'm starting to feel really excited about finally being at this stage, though!

So far I have a list of 40 sites. I still need to whittle it down a lot. I feel a bit behind but I know I just need to work at my own pace and everything will work out in due time. Very excited to finally be starting this process.

University of Denver JFK
OHSU
CHOP
Yale
Marcus Autism Centre
University of Miami
Kennedy Krieger

Thanks for your help!

Others have also had good suggestions on places to add - I'd suggest also looking at Indiana University's autism track, and MUSC (did someone mention that one already?) All the others I applied to have already been mentioned. I keep hearing from folks in my program that Oregon says ASD is a major component but it ends up not so much. Every year people from my lab interviewed there and then came away disappointed with the relative balance of ASD to other stuff.

Munroe Meyer in Nebraska had a cool rural rotation from what I recall from interviews.

Anyone have any recommendations for general child clinical AMC/consortium sites to look into? I'm having a little difficulty finding good matches for someone who has done a wide range of generalist training. A lot of sites seem really peds focused, and while I have a little peds experience, I'm definitely more of a child clinical person so I worry about not seeming like a good fit. I'm also open to sites in which I'd do a little adult work.

Relatedly, anyone else having trouble with some sites providing very little information about rotations? I wonder what the best way to get info is when sites don't have a brochure.
Maybe look into Indiana University (there's a ped CL option, but the core rotation in Child Outpatient sounds right up your alley) and MUSC (though I don't recall quite as much about those rotations).

How is everyone holding up so far? I have begun working my APPIC essays, which are challenging to write. I am also trying to star paring down my list of sites.

Doing okay..I'm pretty far along on my list of sites, but not starting on the essays, yet. Good for you for starting them. Right now I'm alternating working on my dissertation proposal/ site research.

This might be corny, but I'm glad this site exists. There is only one other person from my program applying this year, and he's neuro (i.e., different boat), so I feel like this site is my main source of information/support right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, doing pretty good. Not too much going on. Still have several months before I have to review a few dozen apps ;)
:claps::claps:

Doing okay..I'm pretty far along on my list of sites, but not starting on the essays, yet. Good for you for starting them. Right now I'm alternating working on my dissertation proposal/ site research.

This might be corny, but I'm glad this site exists. There is only one other person from my program applying this year, and he's neuro (i.e., different boat), so I feel like this site is my main source of information/support right now.

I am also 1 of 2 applying to internship this cycle - so I am equally glad for folks on these boards!

I'm excited to be applying as well. I'm looking for Western/Rocky Mountain sites with PTSD programs. Already have a list of 13 or so, and am looking to build it up to 15. Best of luck to everyone.

Question- does anyone know if Jackson Memorial has more of a pediatric feel or severe mental health?

@freudianslippin I don't have any information about that site, I'm sorry! I do have a similar question. Does anyone know anything about the Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center Psychology Internship? A few of their rotations are interesting to me, but I am having a hard time navigating the information on the website. I am wondering if anyone has interviewed with them/has any insight they might share. tia!

Good luck to everyone going through the match! I have a question about the APPIC website- is "minimum number of grad years of training required" based on years of grad training completed at the time of applying, or years of grad training completed at the time of the start of internship?

This site was a major source of like-minded support for me when I went through the process. I was in-between years and didn't have much of a relationship with the other folks applying at the same time, and the people I did know where like "La la la can't hear you--would rather be in denial and not talk about internship--la la la." So for people like me who need to gather as much information as possible and hear personal accounts of the process, this site was a blessing. Keep in mind that about 80-90% of what you read is useful, and the rest is a) limited to 1 person's experience and they are attempting to generalize it; b) gross exaggerations or just completely made up (a.k.a. unsupported) statistics/facts; or c) raging narcissists who can no longer get people in their real lives to listen to them. When going through a super anxiety-provoking process like that, it's easy to get sucked into that. Good luck, all! And remember - no question is stupid, and supporting each other is the best way to get through this. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

So I didn't realize this until just now, but for a few of my top sites, my hours are a little different from what they want. I think I didn't notice because I haven't been worried about hours- I'll have about 800 face to face when I apply (600 intervention/200 assessment) and most of the sites I've looked at require the 500 minimum.

A couple of them are sites that want like 1,000 face to face hours, so I fall short of that. A couple are situations where I meet their overall minimum (let's say 500), but my split of intervention/assessment is not what they want. For example, one of my sites "prefers 250 assessment, 250 intervention."

I'm debating whether to adjust my clinical plans for the fall to try to collect as many hours as I can to cover my bases, or whether my time would be better served focusing on applications.

Thanks for reading.

@psychstudent17 I would guess at the time of application, but I bet APPIC clarifies this in their online instructions.

Good luck guys.

I went through this twice, didn't get an internship the first time, had one of the best practicum experiences, then matched the following year.

Word of advice. Enjoy the process. You'll be jet-setting and seeing new people/places. It's nerve-wracking, but at the end of the day, it's not the worst thing in the world. Trust Me

Word of advice. Enjoy the process. You'll be jet-setting and seeing new people/places. It's nerve-wracking, but at the end of the day, it's not the worst thing in the world. Trust Me
Thanks ClinicalTears! I'm excited to travel in this process (assuming I land a few interviews) and hope I have the time to see things while I'm wherever.

Hi all,

So I didn't realize this until just now, but for a few of my top sites, my hours are a little different from what they want. I think I didn't notice because I haven't been worried about hours- I'll have about 800 face to face when I apply (600 intervention/200 assessment) and most of the sites I've looked at require the 500 minimum.

A couple of them are sites that want like 1,000 face to face hours, so I fall short of that. A couple are situations where I meet their overall minimum (let's say 500), but my split of intervention/assessment is not what they want. For example, one of my sites "prefers 250 assessment, 250 intervention."

I'm debating whether to adjust my clinical plans for the fall to try to collect as many hours as I can to cover my bases, or whether my time would be better served focusing on applications.

Thanks for reading.

No, focus on applications. There's not much you can do at this point anyways. Hours are certainly important, but people fixate on them too much for the wrong reasons. If you are, e.g., intervention focused, no one is really going to care you are -50 assessment hours.

Hi all,

Thanks for reading.
It might be helpful to email the Training Directors at those sites to gain clarification if they would still consider you, especially at the one where your hours distribution is a little bit different from what they prefer. I found Training Directors very responsive and helpful when I was going through the process last year. By gaining clarification, it could help you make a decision whether or not to apply.

About how many total programs did you all research before formulating your final list? Without any geographical restrictions the amount to research is a little overwhelming, but I may also be overdoing it.

About how many total programs did you all research before formulating your final list? Without any geographical restrictions the amount to research is a little overwhelming, but I may also be overdoing it.
SO TRUE! I ended up deciding on a few "must have" factors... sorted through the directory based on those and ended up with around 100 sites I looked into in more depth. Then whittled down based on "fit" and a little bit by geographic preference. Still. I've changed my list multiple times and am still not sure what it will look like in the end.

Glad I'm not the only one! Ive probably looked into at least 60 programs and have more to go. It's so time consuming, which is probably an indicator that I need to start doing more skimming.

Anyone hear (or know) anything about how training programs view terminal master's hours? I've read through threads from a few years ago and there seems to be a mixed bag of whether they are given consideration... and whether they be used to meet the minimums? I wonder if I shouldn't apply to the sites where I can't meet the minimums with my doctoral hours alone or if perhaps training directors wouldn't mind answering this question?

Also, does it make any difference if the terminal master's hours are "verified" by your program? An administrator in mine told me that they have three choices when verifying hours... they can verify all hours, only a portion, or reject the whole thing.

Anyone hear (or know) anything about how training programs view terminal master's hours? I've read through threads from a few years ago and there seems to be a mixed bag of whether they are given consideration... and whether they be used to meet the minimums? I wonder if I shouldn't apply to the sites where I can't meet the minimums with my doctoral hours alone or if perhaps training directors wouldn't mind answering this question?

I know that folks (in several programs I know people from) have counted masters hours towards their totals. However, you do have to list them in a separate portion of the APPI - so internship sites will know these hours were obtained during your masters training. At that point, I guess it is up to the individual site as to how they view them. IMO it might be too drastic to not apply to sites because you do not reach totals in doc hours alone. I could be wrong, obviously.

I know that folks (in several programs I know people from) have counted masters hours towards their totals. However, you do have to list them in a separate portion of the APPI - so internship sites will know these hours were obtained during your masters training. At that point, I guess it is up to the individual site as to how they view them. IMO it might be too drastic to not apply to sites because you do not reach totals in doc hours alone. I could be wrong, obviously.
This is how APPI indicates that terminal masters hours should be listed. You are correct, some sites will exclude them and (as a result) you based on insufficient doctoral hours but that tells you something about the site's atmosphere. I was in the same boat and interviewed at top tier sites so it is not necessarily a reflection of site quality. Either way, they should be listed separately on the appi. Your doctoral program will verify them, but you should be able to provide evidence of verified hour count to your doctoral program of those hours obtained during your masters. For instance, my masters program had us log client contact how APPI did with verification at the end of semester/program.

Best of luck to everyone; It works out despite your anxiety.