2017 Low GPA Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Congrats on getting into Vet School! I am applying this summer and I am 33 year old returning student. I have a B.A. in Business Administration but my overall GPA is not good cause of all my old credits ten years ago. I have decent science and last 45 grades but I see all these people with 3.7, 3.8, 4.0..
Could people with lower GPA's post their stats (1st time applicants only)
This may sound bad but could you also put if your a resident of the state of school you were accepted to or of a different nationality/background or something that makes you more likely to get accepted.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you search for the accepted stats thread you'll see a good number of people with low gpas. A lot of people have already posted there. You can also look back at previous years accepted stats threads.

You can search for my "What are my chances?" post to see a complete version of my background.

My cGPA is about 3.5, science GPA about 3.3.
I am of Taiwanese ethnicity, but US nationality.
I was born and lived in the US until I was 10, then I moved to Taiwan and lived/went to school there until I was 19.

As you can see, my diversity is probably what stood out to admission committees. Though, I do also have a diverse array of veterinary and animal experiences (small animal, equine, research, wildlife, shelter, emergency, zoo) and I also took a lot of harder college courses during my undergrad.

I was OOS everywhere when I applied (although I went to U of Minnesota for undergrad), and I got into 3 out of 6 schools: Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cGPA was about 3.6 and my science was 3.33. I'm 25 first time applicant. Not sure how I stood out, but I portrayed confidence in everything and had great LOR's.

I am also an untraditional student. I was accepted with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and then last semester I got straight As so it bumped up to an amazing 3.1 haha. I have a lot of experience (almost 10 years in small animals and exotics and a few semesters of sheep, goats and horses). I am a resident of PA and NJ, there's no way in hell I'd ever get into UPenn but I applied anyway.
My background is that my mother is from Argentina and my father is American.
I wasn't accepted to any US schools (no surprise) but I was accepted to Saint George's and I am very happy. I feel like international programs may be more interested in untraditional students, especially with an animal experience background. Good luck!

Yes, especially if your poor marks were 10 years ago.

I am 33 and starting vet school this fall. Non trad returning from 12 years of corporate HR. I was born in the Philippines and got my undergrad there and lived in NJ for past13 years. My background is very diverse from HR, to sanctuary, international experience, farm, assist a comparative anatomist and now pt working in a vet clinic and mice lab. Yes, I crammed and scouted for these experiences and it required much work while I went to school and worked FT as well.

Got accepted to 8 schools out of 13....surprised as hell but hey it was doable. Took me about four years to complete everything from pre-reqs to experience accumulation

good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user