2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh gosh, I hope we don't get too heartbroken.

@sunshinefl. we're both Swampland nurses! I hope we interview together. It would be pretty cool to know someone on the trail.

Not swampland (Gatorville, right?) but I'm beaches, gulf side! Let's do this!!! :clap:

Mother of god, how?!

Yessss. I'm beaches/gulf-side too, but you know, it's all swampland down here. :D

Well I'm in land-locked Gainesville now.... but I'm from coastal Gulf side!

If any of y'all interview at Miami, hit me up! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
@Eccesignum - I've been told to app Miami - if you're willing - why them over Mayo? If my MCAT comes out anything close to predictions (which it may very well not), I'm curious.

I don't think I qualify for Miami but ... who knows?

@Eccesignum - I've been told to app Miami - if you're willing - why them over Mayo? If my MCAT comes out anything close to predictions (which it may very well not), I'm curious.

I don't think I qualify for Miami but ... who knows?

I'll shoot you a PM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why...maybe it's that some of the schools I've applied to have already started rolling out interview invites....but I am just now starting to get crazy nervous that there's the chance of not getting in this cycle and that I need to apply to even more schools.

Is anyone else feeling like that or am I the only one? Is there a date I should apply to emergency schools by? Quite frankly, I'm not that picky (I don't think) about schools but am restricted geographically to an extent (both voluntarily and involuntarily).

I don't know why...maybe it's that some of the schools I've applied to have already started rolling out interview invites....but I am just now starting to get crazy nervous that there's the chance of not getting in this cycle and that I need to apply to even more schools.

Is anyone else feeling like that or am I the only one? Is there a date I should apply to emergency schools by? Quite frankly, I'm not that picky (I don't think) about schools but am restricted geographically to an extent (both voluntarily and involuntarily).

Feeling the same way right now. It's very nerve-racking and discouraging, but we have to remain patient. Our hard work will pay off in some fashion. I am just trying to remain optimistic because it is so easy to get discouraged especially being on SDN.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Feeling the same way right now. It's very nerve-racking and discouraging, but we have to remain patient. Our hard work will pay off in some fashion. I am just trying to remain optimistic because it is so easy to get discouraged especially being on SDN.

You're right, patience is a virtue :)

I find myself becoming oddly addicted to checking the school-specific forums (pretty much ignoring everything else other than this thread). I think I need to impose a ban for myself or at least limit the checking to once a week.

Haha, I'm keeping up with my SDN reading better than my courses :zip:.....I sometimes use it as a motivator. Like right now I'm working on French homework online. I told myself after 2 more sections I could check SDN.

Reactions: 1 users

That feeling doesn't go away once you get IIs, for what it's worth. I'm still crazy nervous they'll take one look at me when I get there and cross me off the list.

So the challenge is to separate the natural anxiety from the analytical evaluation of your schools and application. Don't let the anxiety dictate that you need to apply to more schools.

I told myself after 2 more sections I could check SDN.
I'm doing the same with studying for the "little" test I have in 3 weeks :arghh: and I am freaking myself the @#$f out. So, I tell myself, SDN for mojo, nothing else. Then I see others going through the same feeling, "WHEN the freak will this info gel and settle in" and it does. I know that. And today, I was told I'm verified.

Oh Lord, it's getting very real.:eek:

I'm doing the same with studying for the "little" test I have in 3 weeks :arghh: and I am freaking myself the @#$f out. So, I tell myself, SDN for mojo, nothing else. Then I see others going through the same feeling, "WHEN the freak will this info gel and settle in" and it does. I know that. And today, I was told I'm verified.

YAY!!!! Verified!!! That has to be a good feeling. I'm still waiting. I know I'll cry, just like with every other step, lol. I guess I'm glad that so far the cycle has made me more emotional than anxious. So your MCAT is in 3 weeks?? Good luck!

MCAT is in 3 weeks?? Good luck!
Yes, it is & thank you!!

Keep thinking how in the he$$ does anyone really feel prepared for this. I have old exams and going through them for CARS, primarily, but for everything. I have all the AAMC materials and am working through them. I have all the Kaplan FLs and am going through them... but WHEN... will I feel likeI can conquer this thing!? :(

Yes, it is & thank you!!

Keep thinking how in the he$$ does anyone really feel prepared for this. I have old exams and going through them for CARS, primarily, but for everything. I have all the AAMC materials and am working through them. I have all the Kaplan FLs and am going through them... but WHEN... will I feel likeI can conquer this thing!? :(

I don't think anyone ever feels 100% prepared. Going into my exam, I kept wishing I had more study time but I was also just so ready to take the exam that I was glad to just get it over with. Good luck - I am sure you are more prepared than you feel!

I really don't envy your wait after for your score :)
But at least you'll be able to keep busy then with secondaries!!

Ad2b, You can do it. We believe in you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@HopefulPilot - you do you. One of your biggest fans here (I think we all are, actually). Your seat is waiting somewhere!

I'm applying to 25+ ... praying for just one "Yes" :)

resisting the urge to submit to more schools...

Experiencing the exact same things. Especially because as others have said, II have started rolling out at some of my top choices, and I have either been put on pre-interview hold or just waiting...Must learn to be more patient, or this year is going to break my soul!

Definitely considering adding a few schools but I am not sure what good that will do, and writing secondaries is far and away the worst part of this process for me so far. I actually scoured the forums for schools with easy secondaries to add today. I resisted, but still.

Experiencing the exact same things. Especially because as others have said, II have started rolling out at some of my top choices, and I have either been put on pre-interview hold or just waiting...Must learn to be more patient, or this year is going to break my soul!

Definitely considering adding a few schools but I am not sure what good that will do, and writing secondaries is far and away the worst part of this process for me so far. I actually scoured the forums for schools with easy secondaries to add today. I resisted, but still.

I think it's probably way too early to think you're on pre-interview hold.

I think it's probably way too early to think you're on pre-interview hold.

Unfortunately, its not. UChicago updated my portal with said info. But people have already been rejected there, so I am trying to stay positive! Other than OHSU, Chicago is my top choice. 'Held for Later Review' means they liked something they saw, at least enough to not reject me at this point!

Unfortunately, its not. UChicago updated my portal with said info. But people have already been rejected there, so I am trying to stay positive! Other than OHSU, Chicago is my top choice. 'Held for Later Review' means they liked something they saw, at least enough to not reject me at this point!

For most schools, I still think it is an unrealistic thing to jump to without proof so early. UChicago is a very different animal than most.

Last year, I learned it's best not to jump to conclusions easily. It will drive you mad.

I've watched the last 2 cycles through SDN. I always saw people start to get nervous and add a bunch of schools haphazardly. I say try to resist that urge. Although that's easy for me to say because my original school list is large (27 MD, 9 DO).

Congratulations to all of you for making it this far!

I wanted to chime in with some advice. Don't be too hard on yourself if you do not get an early interview. It definitely does not put you out of the running. My top choice school gave me an interview 6 months (damn this process is long) after my application was complete. I am now matriculating there.

Consequently, I wouldn't start adding a bunch of schools if you haven't received interviews yet. Especially because you will likely add schools that aren't a good fit and that therefore you do not have a realistic shot.

Stay sane everyone! Easier said than done, I know.

Reactions: 3 users
Those of you who have gotten secondaries, how long after submitting your primary did they come in? I've been holding off on submitting my primary because I still don't have any of my LORs in, and I think secondaries have deadlines they have to be turned in by (along with your letters)? I'm currently sitting outside a professor's office waiting to try to ask her if she's still writing it because she hasn't responded to my emails. :/

Those of you who have gotten secondaries, how long after submitting your primary did they come in? I've been holding off on submitting my primary because I still don't have any of my LORs in, and I think secondaries have deadlines they have to be turned in by (along with your letters)? I'm currently sitting outside a professor's office waiting to try to ask her if she's still writing it because she hasn't responded to my emails. :/
Get that primary in!!!! I submitted 7/6, received 2 secondaries on 7/7, and 1 on 7/13. I turned them in on 7/12 and 7/14 respectively. Then, I put "NEED LORs" under status on my excel tracking spreadsheet. Meanwhile, I have 4 of 7 letters in, just gathering the last 3 stragglers. Hopefully they'll be in by the time I'm verified, or at least very soon after. But the primary is going to be what holds you back, so submit it. And keep working on your letter writers while you wait.

Get that primary in!!!! I submitted 7/6, received 2 secondaries on 7/7, and 1 on 7/13. I turned them in on 7/12 and 7/14 respectively. Then, I put "NEED LORs" under status on my excel tracking spreadsheet. Meanwhile, I have 4 of 7 letters in, just gathering the last 3 stragglers. Hopefully they'll be in by the time I'm verified, or at least very soon after. But the primary is going to be what holds you back, so submit it. And keep working on your letter writers while you wait.
Okay, going to read thru my PS tonight and submit my primary by tomorrow. I guess I just really still don't understand a lot about this application process. :/ Thank you for sharing your experience!

Just received my first II!!! USC!!! I'm so excited but also SOOOO nervous!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Damn I'm reading through here and seeing that you guys applied to a lot of schools. I cut my list down to 20 MD, but I'm worried that isn't enough. This year is going to be brutal.
It depends on a lot of things, including the strength of your application, as well as what schools actually interest you. Over a period of a year, I systematically researched every medical school in the entire country. I categorized each either as yes or no. "yes, apply" if I would genuinely like to go there and it was realistic. "No" if the answer to either of those was no. Basically I never had a target number I made myself whittle down or build up to. It just turned out as it did, at 27 MD and 9 DO. And those final numbers looked okay with me so I rolled with the list.

^ thats a huge list. I'm was dying last cycle at 19, and 29 this cycle has been crushing my soul.

A tip from someone who's been through this whole thing last cycle (with 5 holds and no II's). It lasts until March/April realistically, and people get super late (eg feb or later) II's. If it's middle of July and you are already starting to stress, it's going to be a hellish 7 months. At the beginning of last cycle after I was complete at a lot of places, I would start waking up super early, without an alarm set (which is crazy for me), and instantly check my email every morning with a knot in my stomach. I was compulsive about watching the school specific threads, and what did it do for me? Nothing but add undue stress, pain, and grief to my life. This time around, I'm in a totally different mindset. Once you apps are in, it's out of your hands. There is nothing you can (san update letter later in the cycle etc.), so might as well not work yourself into a fever. You should approach it with the idea that

Reactions: 8 users
^ thats a huge list. I'm was dying last cycle at 19, and 29 this cycle has been crushing my soul.

A tip from someone who's been through this whole thing last cycle (with 5 holds and no II's). It lasts until March/April realistically, and people get super late (eg feb or later) II's. If it's middle of July and you are already starting to stress, it's going to be a hellish 7 months. At the beginning of last cycle after I was complete at a lot of places, I would start waking up super early, without an alarm set (which is crazy for me), and instantly check my email every morning with a knot in my stomach. I was compulsive about watching the school specific threads, and what did it do for me? Nothing but add undue stress, pain, and grief to my life. This time around, I'm in a totally different mindset. Once you apps are in, it's out of your hands. There is nothing you can (san update letter later in the cycle etc.), so might as well not work yourself into a fever. You should approach it with the idea that

I cannot agree with this enough.

Yeah my heart hurts and I feel nauseous. Some of my favorite schools are rolling out II to those who were complete after I was. I may need to distance myself from SDN. It sucks pouring your heart and soul into something and having to wait months and months. This process is character building, thats for sure.

Presently, very concerned that my lack of research and withdrawing from my Masters is going to make my application DOA, despite LizzyM 75.

@mavric1298 , thanks for the advice.

@gribear - this is your year too! Do not go down that darkened path of comparing yourself to others.

If *I* had done that, this adventure of mine would have been over in 2008. I'm still in the game and so are you. Remember, it's not over until the class of 2021 is seated and has started (and even last year, I heard of one school seating people after the first day!)

@gribear - this is your year too! Do not go down that darkened path of comparing yourself to others.

If *I* had done that, this adventure of mine would have been over in 2008. I'm still in the game and so are you. Remember, it's not over until the class of 2021 is seated and has started (and even last year, I heard of one school seating people after the first day!)

Yup. For those of us on waitlists from last year, 2020 is still not technically done.

Yeah my heart hurts and I feel nauseous. Some of my favorite schools are rolling out II to those who were complete after I was. I may need to distance myself from SDN. It sucks pouring your heart and soul into something and having to wait months and months. This process is character building, thats for sure.

Presently, very concerned that my lack of research and withdrawing from my Masters is going to make my application DOA, despite LizzyM 75.

Out of curiosity, who's already sending II's? I still have 6 schools who haven't sent secondaries, and 2 I just received yesterday (after being complete on day 2)! And if you've watch this system at all, just know that has NOTHING to do with you application. There isn't enough clarity to have any idea of how apps are processed, and as the fiasco last year with a student getting logged in as an adcom showed, we can't make any assumptions. Just because someone after you got an II, doesn't mean yours was even looked at yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is what the demographics of SND are. Mostly young, gunners, who don't represent the 52,550 applicants as a whole very well. VERY top heavy weighted

Out of curiosity, who's already sending II's? I still have 6 schools who haven't sent secondaries, and 2 I just received yesterday (after being complete on day 2)! And if you've watch this system at all, just know that has NOTHING to do with you application. There isn't enough clarity to have any idea of how apps are processed, and as the fiasco last year with a student getting logged in as an adcom showed, we can't make any assumptions. Just because someone after you got an II, doesn't mean yours was even looked at yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is what the demographics of SND are. Mostly young, gunners, who don't represent the 52,550 applicants as a whole very well. VERY top heavy weighted

You are so wise. I think this thread is going to keep me sane this year. I may need to stay away from the school-specific ones.

So far, George Washington, UChicago, Jefferson, and USC are extending II, of the schools I applied to.

So far, George Washington, UChicago, Jefferson, and USC are extending II, of the schools I applied to.
ahem. you need to put the anxiety button down the toilet :D Look at you go!

I'm applying to 39 schools :scared::scared:

Should be complete everywhere by early August. Figure the risk of not applying to enough schools and becoming a reapplicant, far outweighs a couple thousand dollars wasted in application and interview fees.

You are so wise. I think this thread is going to keep me sane this year. I may need to stay away from the school-specific ones.

In addition, since someone asked, a chunk of the Texas schools are offering. I've seen things from A&M, Foster (Tech), UTMB and UT-Dell. Pittsburgh apparently started as well.

But like I said - getting IIs doesn't help the nerves. You freak out about IIs and screened secondaries you haven't received yet ("What's wrong with me? Is there something that will be a huge issue at the school I'm interviewing at that they're waiting to spring on me?") and about the IIs you have out there ("God, I'm too old/heavy/rosacea'd/twitchy and they're going to notice and laugh me out the door." and "Can I really afford to do this? It costs how much to rent a car? What if my plane is delayed?")

It's a loooooong process. That's what everyone, including myself, has to remember. The more anxious we let ourselves get, the more miserable it's going to be.

FWIW, I have very nice stats and a few memorable ECs but at least one weakness for the type of schools I'm suited for; I'm applying to 26 schools because why do this twice? And I really need to heed the advice of staying off the school-specific threads. It's doing nothing but causing me grief.

ahem. you need to put the anxiety button down the toilet :D Look at you go!

I certainly don't have II from those schools!!! They are extending them to other folks. I'm on hold at GW and Chicago and waiting to hear from the rest. But I will take this positivity you are channeling and run with it! Anxiety is the devils plaything.

Please do. I wish there were many schools I did not apply to last minute because it was literally a big waste of money in the end. I did get an II at a top ten school, but was ultimately waitlisted. Resist the urge!

Okay......so the consensus is that I'm not the only one!!

So glad I have all you guys to commiserate with (and hopefully celebrate) throughout this cycle. Here's to the 2016/2"17 nontrad coalition - may we rock this cycle and laugh a year from now when we remember our worries!

Reactions: 5 users
Go team non-trad go! It's very early in the cycle ladies and gents! Plenty of time to rack up IIs and acceptances so let's all just stay positive, and make sure no one turns into those crazy overly neurotic straight outta college traditional kids :highfive:

And I concur, after the initial OMG II moment, I immediately went to "oh no what if I draw a blank to every question my interviewers ask?!?!?" mode. Definitely doesn't help that I don't have a practice interview resource :unsure:

I certainly don't have II from those schools!!! They are extending them to other folks. I'm on hold at GW and Chicago and waiting to hear from the rest. But I will take this positivity you are channeling and run with it! Anxiety is the devils plaything.

Sorry, I misread that but soon, that won't be a mis-read, it'll be your truth. Gotta believe. And remember, as much as we're comfortable here on SDN, and have made ourselves a spot, SDN still attracts the 3.99sGPA with 527 MCAT and 200,000 hours of shadowing "What are my chances" people... you're better than them because you're for real.

Let's GO!

I don't have a practice interview resource :unsure:

If you want when I'm done with that little thingermajiggy test of mine on 8/5, I'd be happy to ask you all sorts of question as interview types; used to do it for work.

So, what do you think of ACA and how it will impact your role as a physician? How will you ensure that ICD-10 codes are implemented appropriately and help you manage your patient population?

:D lol - okay, maybe I'm not the best person ;)

I've been working on my "Tell me about yourself" answer in the shower and I always feel like I end up babbling aimlessly. I figure I'll rehearse that and three words people would use to describe me positively (as well as one negative) and rely on all the thinking I've done for secondaries/general job interview skills for the rest. I don't want to end up sounding too rehearsed.

(And like I said, stats don't make the neuroses go away. You just get the fun of "Crap, they'll think I'm overqualified but I don't have the research for the Top 10s and then no one will take me" runaway train instead of the worrying about stats one.)

I'm more than happy to do skype practice interviews as well for any non-trads who want some practice. I feel since I've actually been an interviewer in the real world - that I'm decent enough at it to give some reasonable feedback.

Also - I know this is a hard approach - but if you go into this with the mindset that it takes 2 cycles for most people to get in (anyone know the actual stat? I know I've seen it) but I think something like 30% of matriculates are reapplicants - so if you start off with that, you can't be let down and can only have things work out for the better. Be analytical and rational. Schools are looking at 10,000 plus applications in say 150 days, of people who all have about the same backgrounds. I think luck is a huge part of this. Was the person looking at your app having a ****ty day? Did they see it at the beginning of the day or the last of the day when they just wanted to go home. They are humans too.

As far as the person logged in as an adcom - honestly I can't remember which thread it was. They had to send out a big breach of data email though so I can try to dig it up. But if I remember correctly what came out of it was that on a dashboard, it showed huge number of apps that hadn't been even reviewed and this was like in January. Then there was all kinds of back and forth of what it meant. The person did the right thing and tried to contact them right away, but the school wasn't answering their phone so they posted a "what should I do thread" which turned into "prove it" so they posted the home dashboard which accidentally showed a bunch of stats. They took it down ASAP but the numbers were out there with no context so everyone started speculating what it meant. Which goes to show we have no idea how anything works, and I thinks it's safe to say everyone school is very different.

Those of you w/ IIs, don't forget about the SDN interview feedback. Found that hugely helpful when I applied.

Speaking of interviews, I went on my first fellowship interview this week. Liked the program a lot. Second interview next month and last one will likely be in Sept.

And all I have to add is, nothing says, "I'm dedicated" like walking around a megahospital campus all day with a black suit on in July in the South while feeling jet lagged because that's normally the time of day when you'd be sleeping. Did not nod off at all, which I consider a pretty significant victory. For seres.

Reactions: 4 users

Lol, I couldn't resist the urge and submit to all DO School minus one 2 days ago :) and several more MDs. I figured may as well go for it since I got a system going and I don't mind wasting more money. Go all out :)

Those of you w/ IIs, don't forget about the SDN interview feedback. Found that hugely helpful when I applied.

Speaking of interviews, I went on my first fellowship interview this week. Liked the program a lot. Second interview next month and last one will likely be in Sept.

And all I have to add is, nothing says, "I'm dedicated" like walking around a megahospital campus all day with a black suit on in July in the South while feeling jet lagged because that's normally the time of day when you'd be sleeping. Did not nod off at all, which I consider a pretty significant victory. For seres.

You only apply several places for fellowships, Q? I'm glad you like the program. Let us know when you get the results

:flame: <----- Me today. Not in a black suit. You definitely showed dedication lvl 9000 today.

Update:

According to that good old spreadsheet, I have 21 secondaries done and 20 more pending, plus 9 schools that either won't send me a secondary or hasn't yet. Why did I do this again? :barf: