2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just FYI for folks heading to interviews -- if you're not staying with a student host and are looking for hotels, always mention you're going to X school for an interview and ask if they have special X school rates. I got some amazing hotel room discounts last year by just asking after this.
And AirBNB. I'm using AirBNB for my interviews and so far it's between $50-60/night, but that depends on location.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
And AirBNB. I'm using AirBNB for my interviews and so far it's between $50-60/night, but that depends on location.

+1 I never book hotels when I travel anymore coz air bnbs are so cheap.

Here's a tip for those of you who will be doing a lot of traveling for interviews. Uber has a deal running where if you refer friends, you get up to $15 fare credit for each friend who takes a ride. If you don't have any real friends, you can always buy friends ofc :D If you jump on sites like fiverr, there are sellers that will, for around $2.50 each, refer friends for you. Thus, you get a bunch of $15 fare credits at $2.50 each. The drivers themselves get the full fare from uber so you aren't hurting the drivers and the referrals are legit so the company is achieving its goal of getting new riders. The last guy I used on fiverr was prayash4pits, and he delivered the referrals pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really getting annoyed with these computer-dialed political message calls to my cell phone, especially when the area code is the same as schools that I have applied to :grumpy:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the airport attempting to quell my nerves before my first of four interviews over the next 2 weeks. I guess this is the culmination of the last 3 years? I may need a new white shirt for every interview.

Reactions: 6 users
Right there with you. I have my first interview tomorrow. Didn't think I would be this nervous.
Well, you're not flying a bunch of souls around a warzone and I'm not having to say, "yea, you can walk there and not blow up." How bad can it be?

It still feels pretty scary.

Nah, interviews can be tiring, but they're fun. You nontrads totally got this. Unlike many of your trad competitors, you've actually held a job before, and you understand how to behave at what is essentially a job interview. Just treat your med school interviews like you would any other job interview you've ever gone on.

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to say I'm still here. I came back from vacation and had to dive right into school and work. The time away did wonders for my anxiety though. My IIs so far are from my top cities, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm really getting annoyed with these computer-dialed political message calls to my cell phone, especially when the area code is the same as schools that I have applied to :grumpy:

True story: I answered calls from unknown numbers while in Europe despite roaming charges and almost threw my phone against a wall every time it wasn't a school. I mean, I knew schools wouldn't call. Why would they? Still, everytime that phone rang, I picked up because what if. My bill is going to be atrocious.

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to say I'm still here. I came back from vacation and had to dive right into school and work. The time away did wonders for my anxiety though. My IIs so far are from my top cities, so I'm pretty excited.

True story: I answered calls from unknown numbers while in Europe despite roaming charges and almost threw my phone against a wall every time it wasn't a school. I mean, I knew schools wouldn't call. Why would they? Still, everytime that phone rang, I picked up because what if. My bill is going to be atrocious.

LOL this is so relatable! Some of my state schools call for interview invites.

Joining this thread for a little bit of sanity. Hello!

Right there with you. I have my first interview tomorrow. Didn't think I would be this nervous.

You'll do great! I've only had one interview, but, I was amazed by how much my job prepared me for it!

So excited that I just got an II at my second favorite school (OHSU), so now both my top choices. What a difference a year makes, went from 0 II's last year to now 2 allo and 2 osteo so far. After such a long road, feels like actually making progress again after the stagnation of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
So excited that I just got an II at my second favorite school (OHSU), so now both my top choices. What a difference a year makes, went from 0 II's last year to now 2 allo and 2 osteo so far. After such a long road, feels like actually making progress again after the stagnation of last year.

What do you think made the difference for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted a secondary a few days ago, decided to use some gentle humor because the school is a reach and I figured that they would never read my application because of volume.

Got a call the next morning asking for clarification on one of my other essays because they read it and thought something was interesting

As soon as I hung up, I was EXTREMELY conscious of the fact that I tried to be funny in that one SA.

Submitted a secondary a few days ago, decided to use some gentle humor because the school is a reach and I figured that they would never read my application because of volume.

Got a call the next morning asking for clarification on one of my other essays because they read it and thought something was interesting

As soon as I hung up, I was EXTREMELY conscious of the fact that I tried to be funny in that one SA.

What school called you? Was it the same one to which you submitted the funny secondary?

What do you think made the difference for you?

To be honest, my app didn't change a whole lot. As a non-trad working a salary job and taking classes, I don't have a ton of time outside what I was already doing. I volunteer with my therapy dog, was pres of our premed honor society - all of which were on last years app. I think the thing that made the biggest difference and I worked on due to a feedback session after my rejection at UW - was how I actually approached the application. The first cycle I approached it much more like an real world application, and that was something that was brought up in feedback. I believe it was something along the lines of "your application and activities section were well written and very professional. We could tell you've worked in a professional job - but we really look for more reflection and emotion"

So I rewrote all my activities sections to be more what I got out of the experience and how they made me feel, rather than much about what they were. They actually really liked my PS, but I rewrote it because reusing it would come off as lazy. I maintained the same themes, but told a slightly different story. I wanted to show that what I wrote the first time was genuine, so I just told it in a different way.

The last thing was being honest with what having to reapply meant to me. I talked about (most schools have a essay for reapps) how being rejected only strengthen my resolve, how i approached it in an analytical way to really reflect on my weaknesses, and specifically what I had done to work on those. I think being humble as well as being able to take an honest look at yourself and your motivations was an important factor.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my first "Wow, you don't look your age at all!" from a fellow applicant yesterday when they were talking about graduating in the 2013/14 time frame and looked at me for my contribution. I couldn't decide if I was flattered or not, but she was so genuine when she said it I couldn't be annoyed. It was cute. Also, MMIs aren't as bad as I was expecting.

As a non-trad with a history of a real job, it is fun to see the kids' reactions to when I tell them my convoluted path. I've really enjoyed getting to chat with them in the down periods. I do wonder if being slightly older has made me overly comfortable with some of my one-on-ones (not the older faculty, but some of the younger admissions staff who are legitimately about my age). I'm treating it like a job interview, but to me that does mean some side conversations about where our interests overlap, which I wonder if it comes off as too relaxed. Oh well.

What school called you? Was it the same one to which you submitted the funny secondary?
@tetley Omg that's hilarious! I would never have guessed that a school would ever do something like clarify that. Seems you likely have a decent shot if they cared enough to call!

Last edited:
I'm so frustrated. One of my letter writers still hasn't gotten my letter in.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, I know how frustrating that can be
Just try to keep your chin up and focus on doing what you have control over. You've worked so hard up to this point, don't let this throw you off

I'm so frustrated and don't think I have a shot this cycle. One of my letter writers still hasn't gotten my letter in. It still has to go to my pre-professional office, who has to send it to AMCAS. I have no idea how long this will take but I'm guessing I will be too late to get interviews by the time it is in.

I'm really sorry, I know how frustrating that can be
Just try to keep your chin up and focus on doing what you have control over. You've worked so hard up to this point, don't let this throw you off
Thanks. That means a lot. I really didn't want to have to apply again next year, because I am getting up there in age and am sick of my life basically being on hold. I'll pester him tomorrow and hope for the best.

Dude, I'm so happy for you!

FIRST II!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

unbelievably excited. was starting to let doubts creep in as i'd only received a few rejections and holds to this point.

also, very excited to have good news to report to the thread ;)

Reactions: 12 users
If my letter writer manages to get my letter in this week (a big if) and it gets to AMCAS by the middle of September, will I be lethally late at that point? I'm really freaking out over here.

Two II's and 5 R's so far Lizzy M 72~

If my letter writer manages to get my letter in this week (a big if) and it gets to AMCAS by the middle of September, will I be lethally late at that point? I'm really freaking out over here.
That's not ideal for MD apps, but if you have good stats I'd say there's still hope. If you have borderline stats, it might be hard to stand out from the crowd, and you'll just have to settle in for a long season as the schools sift through applications. Good luck!

Two II's and 5 R's so far Lizzy M 72~
Congrats! 2 DO, 1 MD II for me so far. LizzyM~68. Going better than last year (zero IIs), but I'm hopeful for the next few months...

I think I'm throwing in the towel this year. My letter writer seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Really wish he hadn't agreed to write me a letter months ago. And wish I had known this before I spent a fortune on my applications. Good luck all.
This is a silly reason to withdraw your apps. Why can't you get a letter from someone else? What's so special about this guy that the letter has to come from him?

I think I'm throwing in the towel this year. My letter writer seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Really wish he hadn't agreed to write me a letter months ago. And wish I had known this before I spent a fortune on my applications. Good luck all.
If you've already submitted a primary to a school, I don't know why you'd give up this year. If the previous post I am seeing from you is an indication of your stats (520 MCAT, >3.6 GPAs?), then your stats are great and it's well worth seeing a cycle through. Once you've added a school to your primary application, you will be a reapplicant next year (no matter the secondary status, etc). If you've gone half-in, you are basically all-in already. Personally, I'd pester the letter writer and get things in ASAP and see what happens. (At least if those are your stats, and you've already submitted a primary to schools.)

everything everyone else has said. ALSO! how important is this letter? how long have you been out of school? i was able to get most schools to give me a lor waiver for the non-science letter they required becuase of how long i'd been out of school.

If you've already submitted a primary to a school, I don't know why you'd give up this year. If the previous post I am seeing from you is an indication of your stats (520 MCAT, >3.6 GPAs?), then your stats are great and it's well worth seeing a cycle through. Once you've added a school to your primary application, you will be a reapplicant next year (no matter the secondary status, etc). If you've gone half-in, you are basically all-in already. Personally, I'd pester the letter writer and get things in ASAP and see what happens. (At least if those are your stats, and you've already submitted a primary to schools.)
Yes those are my stats and my primary was verified awhile ago. You and QofQuimica are right. I am going to pester the hell out of him because I don't know who else could write me a non-science letter.

MY D.O letter writer seems to be giving me some trouble as well, maybe it is code for look somewhere else.

Yes those are my stats and my primary was verified awhile ago. You and QofQuimica are right. I am going to pester the hell out of him because I don't know who else could write me a non-science letter.

And also try to seek an exception as other people have suggested.

And there really is only the cost of secondary and your time is the downside. Go For It!
Yes you guys are right. Stupid to waste all this money at this point. I am going to figure something else out here. Thanks.

seriously, reach out to schools and ask for the waiver as i mentioned above. every school i reached out to was okay with me not having the non-science letter. if you have other great letters, i'm sure you will be met with similar understanding.

seriously, reach out to schools and ask for the waiver as i mentioned above. every school i reached out to was okay with me not having the non-science letter. if you have other great letters, i'm sure you will be met with similar understanding.
Did you replace the non-science with a different letter? Without this one, I only have my 2 science letters.

Did you replace the non-science with a different letter? Without this one, I only have my 2 science letters.
I actually had several extra letters from research/work. Would it be possible for you to get a volunteership, research or work letter easier than getting this non-science letter? Also, maybe schools would still be okay with you having just 2 letters? i know some schools are okay with it, but not sure if all would be. But I also didn't think they'd be okay without my non-science letter until I asked ;). You can even just call your list of schools right now and follow up with emails later.

Look at the school's website for your state schools their LORS vary. Some schools prefer more recent LORS from someone who has supervised you as well. So not all LOR requirements are the same.

Generate a gameplan , triage , look at your state schools, pre-write and presubmit secondaries and figure out where you can substitute with other LORS.

Look at the school's website for your state schools their LORS vary. Some schools prefer more recent LORS from someone who has supervised you as well. So not all LOR requirements are the same.

Generate a gameplan , triage , look at your state schools, pre-write and presubmit secondaries and figure out where you can substitute with other LORS.
Thanks, everyone. You have given me hope. I'll figure something out here. If worst comes to worst, some of my schools, including my top choice, only require 2 letters.

I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything but what is this fascination with asking people for their stats? It comes down to more than just stats.... As far as I'm concerned, if someone doesn't disclose their own stats, it's not fair game to ask.

Maybe I'm just projecting from a less prestigious stats place ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything but what is this fascination with asking people for their stats? It comes down to more than just stats.... As far as I'm concerned, if someone doesn't disclose their own stats, it's not fair game to ask.

Maybe I'm just projecting from a less prestigious stats place ;)
Feel free to call me out. I will refrain from asking if that is the norm on this thread. It is just nice to know where you stand with that school hense the stats and the time of completion question.

Feel free to call me out. I will refrain from asking if that is the norm on this thread. It is just nice to know where you stand with that school hense the stats and the time of completion question.
Naw, you're far from the only person who asks. I may even be the only one who doesn't get it.

I get asking completion dates or IS/OOS but stats are not as important in getting an ii as some of the youngins in pre allo seem to think. I think the adcom on here who say schools are looking for good fits are actually telling the truth. I mean people in the low 60s are getting iis everywhere it seems. Definitely not based on stats!! It seems the whole package does actually count and one person with a 74 is not the same as another with a 74. Or 70 or 65 or whatever