2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my first mmi today... yeah not a fan lol
Hope the cycle is going well for you guys <3

My next interview is MMI. Makes me very nervous. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone on the invites/acceptances!

Heading for my third (and last) fellowship interview on Monday. Then I can submit my rank list and prepare to go through the match. Will find out where I'm going in November (this specialty is one of the earlier matches, not part of the main residency match that happens in March). Still agonizing over how to rank programs, but I'm pretty sure I know which one I want to rank first. Figuring out how to rank the other two is going to be tough. But the good thing is that I like all three programs and would be happy to go to any of them. I'm also going to be taking almost six months off beforehand, which is going to be....amazing. Will have lots of time to hang out with my family and also going to spend two months traveling abroad.

On a complete side note, do any of you have experience with using Pods or a competitor like U Pak? I'd basically need to have my stuff stored for 5-6 months and then delivered to another state. Also, since I'm in FL (and will be moving elsewhere in the South), air conditioned storage is a must. Haven't looked into it too much yet since I don't even know where I'm going, but will need to start planning/reserving soon.

Reactions: 1 users
My next interview is MMI. Makes me very nervous. Any advice?

Remember that even if you bomb a station, you still have 10 other clean slates to work with. Try not to let one station rattle you and affect the others.

Also, have a emergency backup plan for what you'll say and do if you really just have no idea. Be especially cognizant of not losing your composure in this situation. Don't start fidgeting nervously, continue making eye contact, thank the interviewer and give a nice handshake at the end even if you know you just flopped hard. I have to imagine remaining calm and professional salvages a few points at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not that it matters,but I wear a suit everyday. I would not expect a person I am interviewing to have an astute fashion sense. I interviewed a candidate for a mangerial level job who was coming out of a blue collar position. I didnt dock points from his interview because he was'nt wearing an armani suit that was fitted by his tailor. That is crazy and unreasonable. I did however get a bad impression of him when he refused to answer a question correctly or had no humility when I asked him about a process that he worked on.

Tailored Armani? Bespoke over everything.

Just got accepted to Touro-CA. Kinda surreal right now.

The deposits is gonna hurt though, it's due one day before md's can start releasing and is 2k

Reactions: 14 users
And not to go back into the fashion discussion too much but...Ill fitting and terrible shoes doesn't equate to needing tailor fitted and Italian leather. It means not wearing muddy shoes (actually happened) or a suit that clearly isn't remotely your size. Most of the poor choices in clothing that are made are not that people can't afford something - plenty of people had on non-high end clothing, and looked fine/great.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think so. There's an additional 1,000 due later that's refundable, but the CIB lists the initial seat holding deposit (2k) as non refundable.
Yikes! That's a bit shady for sure then

Yikes! That's a bit shady for sure then
Not really shady. Because some (not all) DO applicants use DO schools as a back-up for MD acceptance, DO schools charge a large deposit to encourage acceptees to be really committed to attend. Can you imagine how hard it would be to seat a class if the first 100 that you admitted cancelled when they got an MD acceptance? And combine that with the others who may have two or more DO acceptances it would be a mess. I would bet that $2K cuts down on the number who do that.

But congrats to @mavric1298 - you're gonna be a doc!

Last edited:
Not really shady. Because some (not all) DO applicants use DO schools as a back-up for MD acceptance, DO schools charge a large deposit to encourage acceptees to be really committed to attend. Can you imagine how hard it would be to seat a class if the first 100 that you admitted cancelled when they got an MD acceptance? And combine that with the others who may have two or more DO acceptances it would be a mess. I would bet that $2K cuts down on the number who do that.

But congrats to @mavric1298 - you're gonna be a doc!
Both of the DO schools I've been accepted to have a December 14th deposit deadline. October 14th is two months ahead of the norm. Requiring a deposit that's nearly twice as large as most DO schools the day before MD acceptances can be given is pretty shady in comparison, if not predatory.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It just so happens that it's before the MD date.... because you have a 2 week period from your acceptance notification - which is crazy short - and today is 15 days away (we were the very first interviewed and/or notified since yesterday was the very first adcom meeting). I've really had mixed emotions about the acceptance, I know if my other schools don't pan out that I would take it, but based on location, vibe, and program drawbacks - I am having bipolar OMG I GOT IN swinging to "I didn't get a good feeling". Maybe this is my version of imposter syndrome

Last edited:
It just so happens that it's before the MD date.... because you have a 2 week period from your acceptance notification - which is crazy short - and today is 15 days away (we were the very first interviewed and/or notified since yesterday was the very first adcom meeting). I've really had mixed emotions about the acceptance, I know if my other schools don't pan out that I would take it, but based on location, vibe, and program drawbacks - I am having bipolar OMG I GOT IN swinging to "I didn't get a good feeling". Maybe this is my version of imposter syndrome

Were you well above the medians for that school? Maybe they're trying to lock you in before you can get an MD acceptance somewhere.

It's good to go with your gut, but in this case what's another $2,000 on top of your future student loans? If you do get in MD, there goes a tiny percent of what you'll owe after med school. If you don't, at least you won't be using that money to reapply next cycle. Congrats on the acceptance!! I can't wait to have that stress taken off of my shoulders.

For thank you notes, are you all sending them directly to interviewers? to admissions? not at all?

Mayo said to direct all thank-you correspondence to the main admissions email. I have been sending individual notes to my interviewers when appropriate. Would it be odd to attach individual thank you's to my main email and have them forward to the interviewers themselves? Both gave me their business cards with contact info

Last edited:
Just got accepted to Touro-CA. Kinda surreal right now.

The deposits is gonna hurt though, it's due one day before md's can start releasing and is 2k

+1! Mixed feelings and all, It is just a really really expensive school.

On a different note, does anyone have a good spreadsheet for ROI for school? I love medicine and cant imagine not going to medical school but the expensive end of the schools makes me think I will ruin my family financially in the process.

It's good to go with your gut, but in this case what's another $2,000 on top of your future student loans? If you do get in MD, there goes a tiny percent of what you'll owe after med school. If you don't, at least you won't be using that money to reapply next cycle. Congrats on the acceptance!! I can't wait to have that stress taken off of my shoulders.
There is also talk that charging non-refundable deposits greater than 250 might be illegal in the state of California.

is anyone else feeling stuck during this waiting period?

is anyone else feeling stuck during this waiting period?
Terrified, Mostly freaked out that I actually may get an MD acceptance and it gets screwed because i made a stupid mistake on the app.

Last edited:
What's everyone's thoughts on the 15th being on a Sat this year...think admissions will wait until Monday at most places or send out acceptances on that day sat?

Last edited:
What's everyone's thoughts on the 15th being on a Sat this year...think admissions will wait until Monday at most places or send out acceptances on that day sat?
One school I interviewed at said that earliest we'll hear back from them is the 17th. Though if a school doesn't do phone calls and you just hear back via email/the portal, I can see how you could get your decision on the 15th.

One question about interview attire guys.

For men, would it be ok to wear the following:

Suit: NAVY Blue
Pants: Light Sky Blue
Shoes: Brown
Tie: mixed

I'm having a tough time deciding because the Navy Blue/Sky Blue combo looks really good, but I'm worried that it may not be "conservative" enough. Thoughts? Should I just stick with the navy blue suit and pants even if it doesn't look as good?

Depends on the school. The same thing happened the year I applied (i.e., October 15 fell on a Saturday). I was accepted to three schools that weekend. I got my first acceptance via email a few minutes after midnight on Saturday, October 15, then the second via phone call later Saturday morning (around 10AM), then a third one via phone and email on Monday, October 17. If you check the school threads on SDN, you will be able to know in pretty close to real time when each school begins giving out acceptances.

I'm having a tough time deciding because the Navy Blue/Sky Blue combo looks really good, but I'm worried that it may not be "conservative" enough. Thoughts? Should I just stick with the navy blue suit and pants even if it doesn't look as good?
As much as I love the color sky blue, I'm trying (and failing) to imagine how sky blue pants could look good on a guy at a job interview....I think you should stick with the navy suit. You really don't want to stand out in people's minds because of your clothes. What color shirts do you have to go with it? A light blue shirt and mixed tie would look very nice (and conservative) with a navy suit (pants and jacket).

Wear the suit.

Depends on the school. The same thing happened the year I applied (i.e., October 15 fell on a Saturday). I was accepted to three schools that weekend. I got my first acceptance via email a few minutes after midnight on Saturday, October 15, then the second via phone call later Saturday morning (around 10AM), then a third one via phone and email on Monday, October 17. If you check the school threads on SDN, you will be able to know in pretty close to real time when each school begins giving out acceptances.

As much as I love the color sky blue, I'm trying (and failing) to imagine how sky blue pants could look good on a guy at a job interview....I think you should stick with the navy suit. You really don't want to stand out in people's minds because of your clothes. What color shirts do you have to go with it? A light blue shirt and mixed tie would look very nice (and conservative) with a navy suit (pants and jacket).

I was imagining that he meant that his shirt was sky blue since he had already written "suit"...If that's the case, it sounds like a fine outfit. Sky blue pants sound very distracting...

^ I thought the same thing. I have been rocking a dark blue suit, robins blue (light light blue) shirts, with a dark purple tie with white pindots. So if that is indeed what you meant, then I approve. Light blue pants with a navy jacket however, no no no.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

This is a med school interview, not a regatta. Play conservative

This is a med school interview, not a regatta. Play conservative

Perfect for the regatta though, just sayin'

blazer-dress-shirt-dress-pants-belt-sunglasses-large-11212.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I've completed four interviews to date and out of over 100 interviewees, I have yet to see an AA applicant. Really surprised by this.

AA as in African American? That's just how it is unfortunately. I've been the only one at some of my interviews so far. It sort of also depends on the region and school. You are likely to see more at schools that actively recruit.

Yes African American., although I just realized there was one at my USUHS interview. Still...

Yup that's the harsh reality. At one of my interviews they told me that ~1500 blacks had matriculated into med school. Across all 144 U.S. Medical schools. A lot of reasons for it as you probably have seen on these forums. Also keep in mind that the HBCU med schools interview, accept and matriculate a large portion of AA applicants so I could only imagine how scarce it is at most places.

I've completed four interviews to date and out of over 100 interviewees, I have yet to see an AA applicant. Really surprised by this.
Oh wow, there were at least two I can remember in my group of 13 interviewees. Most of the group was Asian, which you would think you'd never see based on how some people talk about ORMs' chances.

I saw about three at my two interviews. Still low compared to the general pop. I do believe the problem is structural barriers in college degree attainment which reduces the liklihood of graduation from a four year college thus being inadequately represented in the applicant pool.

Last edited:
I was a casualty of the great Georgetown massacre that happened earlier. I really liked them and probably put the most effort into their secondary, too. :( It's nice to see that dozens of others got the same email, so it's not like I was personally singled out, but it still made me panic a little considering that means there are now only 8 schools left that I haven't heard anything from yet. I do have 2 secondaries I haven't filled out yet. Not sure if it's worth sending them at this point.

I was a casualty of the great Georgetown massacre that happened earlier. I really liked them and probably put the most effort into their secondary, too. :( It's nice to see that dozens of others got the same email, so it's not like I was personally singled out, but it still made me panic a little considering that means there are now only 8 schools left that I haven't heard anything from yet. I do have 2 secondaries I haven't filled out yet. Not sure if it's worth sending them at this point.
There is undoubtedly some randomness to this process. Keep on trucking, plus g-town is crazy expensive. Opinions will vary on the completion of secondaries at this point.i am in the Yolo camp.

Send the last 2 secondaries. More chances = better.

If you have the time and money, you might as well! Just think how much money you're going to save by not living in Washington DC .
Seriously living in dc as a non trad could easily add 200+k to the tab.

What's the best city to live in?

Anywhere but dc. Transient pop, special kind of douchebags, lack of public transport,expensive,racially segregated,traffic is unbearable,food is mediocre,Meter maids are overzealous and meticulous,8% tax on income.

The best cities from a qol perspective tend to be 750k-1.5million in population. But to answer your question, any city except dc. Dc has no soul. Land in any major city in the US you will get a feeling of what the city is about. DC lacks that feeling , instead you get the lifeless facade that is DC.

I promised myself a new handbag if I get into a med school, in part as a reward and in part because then I will have a better handle on how much more I'm going to have to invest in the application process. This is the main reason someone needs to hurry up and accept me! Seriously, though, walking by all of the beautiful bags in the store and thinking, "No! Don't do it! You didn't earn that yet!" is driving me nuts haha.