2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A question for any married women (or men, but I think this issue mostly pertains to women): did you wear your wedding ring and mention your marriage when appropriate at interviews? I'm of the mindset that I shouldn't have to hide that I am married etc, but I've also heard that it can influence the interviewer negatively so I'm considering not wearing my ring. If anyone has any advice, I'd be really appreciative!
Yes wear it!! My personal statement mentioned my kids/family so it was already well known I was married and was an integral part of my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II to stony brook! Hurray!

A question for any married women (or men, but I think this issue mostly pertains to women): did you wear your wedding ring and mention your marriage when appropriate at interviews? I'm of the mindset that I shouldn't have to hide that I am married etc, but I've also heard that it can influence the interviewer negatively so I'm considering not wearing my ring. If anyone has any advice, I'd be really appreciative!

I plan on mentioning it when advantageous, and keeping quiet when not. A big factor for my OOS picks are the locations and job opportunities for my SO -- there's just nothing in many smaller cities, and we'd more than happily pay private/OOS tuition to be in the same place.

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to everyone with acceptances!! So awesome to see fellow non-traditionals entering the world as future doctors! I submitted pretty late in the cycle and am still waiting with hope for interview invites. Had a phone interview with WMed that I feel was pretty successful, so we shall see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, and I've always asked about support/programs/etc for significant others, and that question has resonated and gone well at all 4 interviews. I think the idea of it being a negative is completly false, if anything is shows you have a support system. In all the groups of students that lead us on tours, did "lunch with current students", etc..There was always 1 or more married and or with kids

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Wore my ring, mentioned marriage tangentially (referenced mother-in-law in a discussion about end of life decisions), got accepted.
A good spouse/marriage is a good support system as you go through the process, not sure why marriage in general would be a negative. Also adds an additional element of diversity to a class of mostly single early-20-somethings.

Reactions: 4 users
Wore my ring, mentioned marriage tangentially (referenced mother-in-law in a discussion about end of life decisions), got accepted.
A good spouse/marriage is a good support system as you go through the process, not sure why marriage in general would be a negative. Also adds an additional element of diversity to a class of mostly single early-20-somethings.

I think a younger crowd might view it as a distraction, but then again, a younger crowd sometimes hasn't had the chance to feel the benefits that a stable, long-term relationship/marriage can provide.

I was in the process of attaining my BS and was taking classes with people pursuing a post-bacc. I will say that only 1 person I knew in any of my classes outside of me was in a long-term relationship... and finished their program. People either left the program or left their relationships.

Last edited:

I wore mine and talked about both my husband and kids. The interviewers actually talked about how they have a large number of students with families and went into some of the services/groups available.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Im a guy, but I cant think of any way being married would negatively affect you....
If anything it shows commitment, maturity, and that you have a good support system in place.
IMO it even gives us a slight edge in some ways....

GUYS and GALS, I'm going to med school next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, what a long and arduous three years it has been since I realized I belonged in medicine and walked away from my old career. It doesn't feel real to hold an acceptance. Today is a good day!!

Reactions: 15 users
Spoke about my marriage during an interview and wore my ring to both. Was a strong point because wife is also in healthcare and tied it back to my love of medicine and desire to be immersed in it. Got accepted. I did not bring up my young child, because that could be a liability during med school especially less than 1 year old.

Reactions: 1 users
A little late but two acceptances yesterday! (Plus a waitlist but who cares about that :)).

I'm still sort of in disbelief and I can't wait for all of you to get your acceptances as well so you can share this crazy, awesome feeling!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
me: I can't believe I made it through today without any rejec...

Email:
buzz
buzz
buzz
buzz

WOMP

Same. I've been in some weird holding pattern for a minute now. Must be very near the line to have not moved forward or gotten wholesale rejections.

2 for 2 on post interview acceptances so far, accepted at PNWU! That was a great phone call this morning to wake up to!

Reactions: 11 users
A little late to the thread but I received two MD acceptances on Monday, one of which was to my top choice school! It still hasn't entirely sunk in yet, but I'm beyond thrilled. I left a well paying, but unfulfilling career and shelled out a lot in loans to do a formal post-bac, so it's a tremendous relief that I can say it's all been worth it.

Reactions: 19 users
On my last scheduled interview day I had my first "bad" interview. Pretty disappointed because at this school, the interviewer presents your case to the committee and accounts for 40% of your ranking.

Debating whether I should ask for another interview... I inquired with the coordinator and she said it's not unheard of and they might be able to work out a phone interview.

I just feel like the interview was very awkward. I don't know if I should try and schedule the phone interview.

It's hard to give any advice without knowing details about what made it awkward. Did you think the interviewer was hostile, disinterested, or you just did not connect with them?

Also, is this a highly desirable school for you? If I recall correctly you already have a few acceptance.

Hey guys! Quick question about updates for schools that take them: 1) when would be a good time to send them (I still haven't heard back from 16 schools) and 2) what constitutes a worthwhile update? I received a prestigious national award in my line of work and was "promoted" at my volunteer EC...should I update schools? Or is that reserved for grades and publications?

Sorry to hear about your "bad" interview on one of your top choices. As amber80 said, it's hard to give you suggestions without know a lot of details on your interview. What do you think a "good" interview would be for this interviewer? What could you have done to make the interview better?

It's definitely a tough and tricky decision my man. I mean from personal experience, what I think has been my worst interview ended with an acceptance so you just never know!

On my last scheduled interview day I had my first "bad" interview. Pretty disappointed because at this school, the interviewer presents your case to the committee and accounts for 40% of your ranking.

Debating whether I should ask for another interview... I inquired with the coordinator and she said it's not unheard of and they might be able to work out a phone interview.

I just feel like the interview was very awkward. I don't know if I should try and schedule the phone interview.

A little late to the thread but I received two MD acceptances on Monday, one of which was to my top choice school! It still hasn't entirely sunk in yet, but I'm beyond thrilled. I left a well paying, but unfulfilling career and shelled out a lot in loans to do a formal post-bac, so it's a tremendous relief that I can say it's all been worth it.
@sedgeshaveedges congratulations!!! I'm sure you've mentioned your stats somewhere but can you please repeat? I'm in the exact same position as you before the postbac and would love some encouragements. Thank you!!!

@sedgeshaveedges congratulations!!! I'm sure you've mentioned your stats somewhere but can you please repeat? I'm in the exact same position as you before the postbac and would love some encouragements. Thank you!!!

Thank you!

I have decent but not-particularly-stellar stats: LizzyM ~70 with high GPA (about 3.9) and pretty average MCAT (I took the new test, but equivalent of about 30-31). I have a lot of unique/interesting "extracurriculars," and work/life experiences which I think make me stand out (partly just the side-effect of being quite a bit older than the average applicant!)

Are you looking at doing a formal post-bac? Let me know if you have any questions! It was a big switch (I had essentially no science background) but definitely the right choice for me.

Last edited:
Just accepted to UA-Phoenix which seems like the perfect fit for my family. So thrilled!

Happy day!!! Congrats!

I was just accepted to Rush which, if I don't get accepted to OHSU, is my next favorite school, and the next best fit for my SO. Today is a good day!

Last edited:
Commonwealth II! The question, though, is how the hell am I supposed to get from GA to PA? I'm so broke. At first, I figured I'd just do the drive in 2 separate days, but that'd actually probably be more expensive than flying. The link they sent me to read about accommodations is broken, so I'm not sure if they offer student hosting. I hope they do!

*edit* Found the hosting info. A host *may* be available for one night. About to contact the admissions office.

Last edited:
That was weird....just added another school on AMCAS

It was washington state and today is the first day they took apps, we'll see - but figured why the hell not

It was washington state and today is the first day they took apps, we'll see - but figured why the hell not
That is Crazy! And I am sitting here thinking filling out secondaries is a waste of time now.

Just saw this, didn't know this was a thing, also thought 'why the hell not', but turns out they only take Washington applicants.
Oh well. I'll just wait to hear back from the other 20+ schools who haven't responded to me yet.

UNLV also started taking apps this weekend. They'll consider you if your state touches theirs.

Also, they're giving four years of free tuition to the first class!
4 years tuition would be a deal breaker.... but I'm no longer a CA resident so boo :grumpy:

UNLV also started taking apps this weekend. They'll consider you if your state touches theirs.

Also, they're giving four years of free tuition to the first class!
It doesn't, but thanks for the heads up.
Too bad though, I'd totally move across the country for free tuition.

Me preparing for my first interview: "*obsessively reads the women's interview attire thread* Omg my basic black purse is too tote-like. Must buy a new one! My shoes are the wrong material! Speaking of shoes, have to make sure the new purse I buy is big enough to hold my heels because I'm definitely going to have to switch into flats for the tour! I must remember to buy these 4 different hair products so not a hair is out of place! And I'll have to time when I wash my hair so that I have time to apply each product in the right order and at the optimal time. And crap, I need clear nail polish and extra pairs of pantyhose in case of runs!"

Me preparing for interviews now: "I'll brush my hair and take off this bright red nail polish."

Me preparing for my first interview: "*obsessively reads the women's interview attire thread* Omg my basic black purse is too tote-like. Must buy a new one! My shoes are the wrong material! Speaking of shoes, have to make sure the new purse I buy is big enough to hold my heels because I'm definitely going to have to switch into flats for the tour! I must remember to buy these 4 different hair products so not a hair is out of place! And I'll have to time when I wash my hair so that I have time to apply each product in the right order and at the optimal time. And crap, I need clear nail polish and extra pairs of pantyhose in case of runs!"

Me preparing for interviews now: "I'll brush my hair and take off this bright red nail polish."

I have my first one coming up and I relate to this (at least the first part) sooooo much.

Reactions: 3 users
I have my first one coming up and I relate to this (at least the first part) sooooo much.

Best of luck! Lol, after your first one, you realize no one is honestly paying attention to half of that stuff they obsess over in the women's interview attire thread. No one will likely even notice that your shoes were suede inside of matte or that your purse was a tote.

Wear a conservative pant or skirt suit with some neat shoes, don't have on any obnoxious nail polish colors, tidy up your hair, don't bring a purse covered in obnoxious Michael Kors "MK MK MK MK" logos, and keep makeup simple and understated. Any further effort really won't get you any additional brownie points from most interviewers.

@beebreezy and @HopefulPilot thanks for the advice and insight! Sometimes too much research and information can be the downfall of an obsessive type, such as myself haha.

I think over-preparing is not necessarily a good thing (especially if you answers begin to sound rehearsed). There is no way to prepare for all of the possible questions that you could be asked. Obviously you should know why you want to go into medicine, why this school, your strengths and weaknesses, and your application. At the end of the day, if you are a genuine, personable, humble and compassionate person, and as long as you give honest answers, interviewing is not too bad. As long as you are engaged, interested, smile and make eye-contact, that is about half the battle. Its fine if you stumble and if you don't know the answer to a question right away.

Edit: I would add that I still think anyone applying to medical school should prepare (I definitely prepared). Do a couple of mock interviews and talk to yourself out loud. Sometimes what you are thinking may not come across the way you would like if spoken aloud. Do research a couple of nights, or the night before your interview on the school and make sure what you bring to the table, matches that particular school's strengths, curriculum and mission.

All the best!

Last edited:
^ exactly, couldn't agree more. I think being genuine is the biggest key to success - in a group interview I had 2 people just giving cringeworthy answers that were so obviously over prepared, and people trying to force their "talking points" into questions. I know if I was one of the interviewers, I would not have looked favorably on their answers.

Gah, make that 2 for 2 MD "still under consideration"/Hold pools. So frustrating, I would just like to have an idea of what is going to happen next year. I know OSHU has like 80% of their applicants into their hold pool, and UW places a lot of people into SUC, but come on!

Also, really fun getting the email as I was about to start a 3 hour online midterm. Pausing while I recover my composure

Well today at 8:31am I got a rejection from Tulane. Then at 4:59pm I got an II from Nova. I guess you win some you lose some. Happy to have activity, grateful for the II, and I will gladly take a 1:1 ratio going forward lol.

Ugh waitlisted at only interview I've been to.

So I'm coming from a low gpa background. If this is an md school, does that mean I'm likely not getting off?

I've heard before that schools will take a chance on low gpa kids and if they kill the interview, they get in but a waitlist is the kiss of death for a low gpa candidate since they'll be continuously compared to higher stat kids as the waitlist flexes. Any truth to this rumor?

@sammiesings

What school? I think it's hard to say either way.

Wayne.

Annoyed at myself because the interviewer led with "you've done so much to make up for your undergraduate record" and it completely threw me off because i came in fully prepared to defend myself all day. Then he basically spent the whole time complimenting me and my application's merits.

I ended up being super rambly when he did get around to asking substantive questions of me. I couldn't help it, I was super in my head as to why he was being so complimentary lol.

Definitely feel like the rambly bs ended up getting me in the end. Ugh

Wayne.

Annoyed at myself because the interviewer led with "you've done so much to make up for your undergraduate record" and it completely threw me off because i came in fully prepared to defend myself all day. Then he basically spent the whole time complimenting me and my application's merits.

I ended up being super rambly when he did get around to asking substantive questions of me. I couldn't help it, I was super in my head as to why he was being so complimentary lol.

The way I view it: they brought you in because they think you can make the cut. Schools seem to treat the hold list using a variety of ways, but I'd say your fit is still the difference maker, more than your singular GPA. Your experiences and what you add will likely be a larger part. That said, some schools don't draw from the hold list, while others do heavily, and year to year it can change. I'm sorry to hear they didn't outright accept you, but they also had the opportunity to reject you... they didn't. With that in mind, sadly I think it'll be a waiting game for that school.

Ugh waitlisted at only interview I've been to.

So I'm coming from a low gpa background. If this is an md school, does that mean I'm likely not getting off?

I've heard before that schools will take a chance on low gpa kids and if they kill the interview, they get in but a waitlist is the kiss of death for a low gpa candidate since they'll be continuously compared to higher stat kids as the waitlist flexes. Any truth to this rumor?
I wouldnt worry. Waitlist movement is heavy at wayne. If you look at the thread, a couple people posted today that they were already accepted off the waitlist after being put on it last month.

Wayne.

There is a substantial amount of WL movement on the Wayne WL. I wouldnt loose all hope yet.

Thought I might jump in as a nontrad :) I see so many of you have gotten acceptances! Congrats! And to the rest of us who are still waiting on interviews and acceptances, wishing you all the best of luck.

Still waiting for II's... Trying to think ahead to plan B and what I can do to improve.

I really, really don't want to have to re-take the MCAT, but I've done so much to improve that I don't know what else I could do