2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question. Does anybody know how secondaries are sent out? I know via email, but do they just send them to the email address we have on file with AAMC? I made a specific email for the application cycle to stay organized, and just updated my AAMC account with this email address. I tried to do it in AMCAS but didn't see a place to do so. Will schools send the secondary to the new email, as its been updating with AAMC and primaries have yet to be sent to schools?

Per AMCAS FAQ you should be able to update your contact information, including email address, after you have submitted your AMCAS application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Per AMCAS FAQ you should be able to update your contact information, including email address, after you have submitted your AMCAS application.

I didn't see a place to update it in the AMCAS portal, nor did I see my email address listed anywhere on my PDF application....so I'm assuming that means updating the contact info with AAMC directly?

Does anybody know if secondaries are sent to the email listed on our AAMC account?

EDIT: i just found where I can edit contact info in AMCAS, oops. should really dig deeper before asking questions. Still curious about which email secondaries are sent too, if they are different.

I didn't see a place to update it in the AMCAS portal, nor did I see my email address listed anywhere on my PDF application....so I'm assuming that means updating the contact info with AAMC directly?

Does anybody know if secondaries are sent to the email listed on our AAMC account?

EDIT: i just found where I can edit contact info in AMCAS, oops. should really dig deeper before asking questions. Still curious about which email secondaries are sent too, if they are different.

They should go to whatever address you put down in your contact info in AMCAS, not whatever you used to register for AAMC in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
look at this guy, raining down on my parade over here

Sorry if it came off that way! My point was more to your last sentence "I hope that isn't a sign I didn't do well"....that it's likely not that - that how you feel doesn't really represent much. I thought I did horrible and it came out fine - and other people feel like they killed it, and they did! Just don't stress about it, there is nothing you can do at this point - if you were well prepared I'm sure you did great!

Still waiting for DO verification, and I'm kinda glad. With 29 applications, a touch of spacing between DO and MD will be a good thing, and my priorities are the MD. 2 days and counting!

Reactions: 1 user
Bleh.

I'm smack in the middle of writing secondaries (in the middle of my 10th one - word of advice to y'all if you haven't already - get started on yours as soon as you can, they are taking me a really long time!). I'm struggling a bit with the "tell us about a challenge and how you resolved it" prompt that many schools have.

I have no shortage of examples, but I'm pretty much using the same one over and over, because it really made an impression on me and what I learned from it will carry over very well to medicine. But...I'm conflicted because the challenge (work-related) came about due to someone else's mistake. I don't paint that person in a bad light at all, but now I don't know if I shouldn't include this challenge on all my essays or not. I don't want to come across as negative or as trying to make myself out as an injured party, but it's so hard to tell if I'm being 100% fairly neutral or not.

I don't paint that person in a bad light at all, but now I don't know if I shouldn't include this challenge on all my essays or not. I don't want to come across as negative or as trying to make myself out as an injured party, but it's so hard to tell if I'm being 100% fairly neutral or not.

I don't have advice, but just wanted to let you know I'm with you. There is such a fine line with these essays where they ask an essentially negative question, but we are expected to answer neutrally..happy to read anything over for neutrality/tone if you would like. The OHSU secondaries have been particularly difficult in this regard :( I'm still working on them a week later...

On a different note...I got a big packet in the mail from Wash U today basically asking me to apply due to my MCAT score. My advisor said if any school reaches out like this, I should apply. However, while my numbers may be there for Wash U, I don't have ANY research experience. Should I throw my hat in the ring? I don't think I'm actually what they're looking for.

If you want to apply, apply. However, I wouldn't be swayed by marketing material. I doubt the admissions committee and the people that send that stuff out even talk to each other. I mean, they sent that without having any other data on you. Most likely they sent it to anyone with similar MCAT score even if they have a 1.0 GPA (since they can't see that yet). The more applications to seats they get, the better they look.

Thats what I thought. I'll save the $100.

Have you begun working on the OHSU secondary? Its killing me, slowly. Glad I'm slaying this beast first. Hopefully the other secondaries will seem kind in comparison.

No. I've been swamped at work. I'm working on my AZCOM one right now. Annoyed that I have to make a resume equivalent of my actual application.
The opportunity for repetition is confusing. It seems that those who read the PS may not read the activities, but they may. So we can write about similar things, using different words (if needed). This is an issue for my diversity and/or challenge prompts, since they could overlap with my PS. And then the secondaries asking "outline your volunteering, publications, employment, etc". I just want to say "See primary," but I'm resisting that urge...

I have around 12 secondaries drafted and everything, but now I'm doubting what I wrote for some of my challenge essays.

One option is to talk about transitioning to the US from living in a different country my whole life. I specifically was talking about how difficult it was to communicate effectively because even though I've spoken fluently in English since I was little, the style and speed of conversations are just different. My issue with this is the only thing I did to get through is changing my mindset and finding activities that I really like doing and so talking to those people becomes much easier.

Another is to talk about a problem I had with a dorm resident when I was a Resident Advisor in college. He had a lot of personal issues and had a lot of conflicts with his roommates and the other RAs in the dorm. I basically talk about how I helped him figure out how he can resolve the conflicts and issues he had. The issue here is I feel like I am painting this person in a negative light, and it feels like this is more of resident's challenge.

Any thoughts?

Struggling with if I should reuse the same answer from a previous cycle for some of the questions on the secondaries, especially if the situations I am describing a still the most relevant.

Struggling with if I should reuse the same answer from a previous cycle for some of the questions on the secondaries, especially if the situations I am describing a still the most relevant.

I'm doing so, but changing all wording just as a precaution. I've changed elsewhere in my app, but not everything needed to change... (Motivations, challenges, etc).

I'm doing so, but changing all wording just as a precaution. I've changed elsewhere in my app, but not everything needed to change... (Motivations, challenges, etc).

I think I will feel ok if some of my secondary essays change, but I won't stress or about changing all of them in the same application if I don't have anything new to add. We will see. Maybe I will come up with something new after I have filled out the 10th one.

Sometimes I wonder if all of this material gets processed by admissions for interview invites or if they just use them to narrow down applicants after interviews. Just a rhetorical question.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a dean of admissions I know that looked over my application for last cycle give me this advice about reapplying - if you change everything it gives the impression that you might not have been fully honest the first go around. While rewriting/wording is a must- there should be congruency between years, to show those things really were important to you. If you say something was a most meaningful experience, then suddenly it's no where to be found, it's a warning flag

So a dean of admissions I know that looked over my application for last cycle give me this advice about reapplying - if you change everything it gives the impression that you might not have been fully honest the first go around. While rewriting/wording is a must- there should be congruency between years, to show those things really were important to you. If you say something was a most meaningful experience, then suddenly it's no where to be found, it's a warning flag

Thank you.

I have around 12 secondaries drafted and everything, but now I'm doubting what I wrote for some of my challenge essays.

One option is to talk about transitioning to the US from living in a different country my whole life. I specifically was talking about how difficult it was to communicate effectively because even though I've spoken fluently in English since I was little, the style and speed of conversations are just different. My issue with this is the only thing I did to get through is changing my mindset and finding activities that I really like doing and so talking to those people becomes much easier.

Another is to talk about a problem I had with a dorm resident when I was a Resident Advisor in college. He had a lot of personal issues and had a lot of conflicts with his roommates and the other RAs in the dorm. I basically talk about how I helped him figure out how he can resolve the conflicts and issues he had. The issue here is I feel like I am painting this person in a negative light, and it feels like this is more of resident's challenge.

Any thoughts?

If it helps, my challenge essay was similar to your first. I worked for an extended time (years) in a country where I didn't speak more than a few words of the language when I first arrived. I wrote about how dealing with that demanded a big change in my maturity level and coping skills, and it was well-received. Feel free to PM if you'd like any clarification or help editing.

Can anyone share a strategy for reapplying? Would it be to charge up all the credit cards with as many schools that fit you, and just jam them in there at the same time, or is spreading them out advantageous?

If you want to apply, apply. However, I wouldn't be swayed by marketing material. I doubt the admissions committee and the people that send that stuff out even talk to each other. I mean, they sent that without having any other data on you. Most likely they sent it to anyone with similar MCAT score even if they have a 1.0 GPA (since they can't see that yet). The more applications to seats they get, the better they look.
Agree with this. If you have a high test score (especially if you're also a URM/disadvantaged), you will get tons of marketing material. Don't let it sway you one way or the other. Choose the schools you want to apply to based on your own criteria, and stick to your strategy.

Can anyone share a strategy for reapplying? Would it be to charge up all the credit cards with as many schools that fit you, and just jam them in there at the same time, or is spreading them out advantageous?
I don't think there's a single way that works for everyone. Applying to 30 programs all at once could leave you drowning in secondaries, but it also gives schools time to match your LORs to your application (which was a hangup for me last cycle at a few schools).

I'm planning on waiting until my MD app is verified to check everything is OK, and then adding most all programs at once. I'm trying to chip away at secondaries now, but I know which ones typically have no/minimal essays and will turn those around ASAP. Then the 'high priority' programs (ones that grab my attention for reason X, Y, Z, more so than others). Then the others (schools that screen or change essays, etc).

DO schools have me more cautious. A few schools have very small deposits, so I plan on getting those in ASAP. I'm currently on the fence for a few others that have $1,500+ nonrefundable deposits. Some of these DO apps may take a backseat to my MD apps.

... but I know which ones typically have no/minimal essays and will turn those around ASAP. Then the 'high priority' programs (ones that grab my attention for reason X, Y, Z, more so than others). Then the others (schools that screen or change essays, etc).

DO schools have me more cautious. A few schools have very small deposits, so I plan on getting those in ASAP. I'm currently on the fence for a few others that have $1,500+ nonrefundable deposits. Some of these DO apps may take a backseat to my MD apps.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had to wait for an online class (biochem) to finish out before applying, so I'm probably going to lump them in this weekend once I finish going over my essay. I have somewhere around 12 MD schools in my queue and I'll probably go for most of the DO schools, including the brand new one in Texas. Honestly, I'll be happy with whoever takes me.

I wish I knew which schools have the massive deposits. I'd avoid them like the plague. If you could give me a couple hints, I'd be more than happy to lower your competition by at least one. ; )

Yeah, that makes sense. I had to wait for an online class (biochem) to finish out before applying, so I'm probably going to lump them in this weekend once I finish going over my essay. I have somewhere around 12 MD schools in my queue and I'll probably go for most of the DO schools, including the brand new one in Texas. Honestly, I'll be happy with whoever takes me.

I wish I knew which schools have the massive deposits. I'd avoid them like the plague. If you could give me a couple hints, I'd be more than happy to lower your competition by at least one. ; )

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/cib_web_full-publication.pdf?sfvrsn=30

See the link. I think all schools have 2 pages, and in the bottom left of the second page it has a box outlining tuition, and then the amount of the deposit and whether it's refundable or not. Sadly, most are high and non refundable :/ and I believe all DO schools have a staggered timeline for when you must make the deposit (i.e. Acceptance by December means you need to give a deposit by date X, acceptance by January requires deposit by Y, etc). Forgot the dates. The deposit applies to tuition if you enroll, but getting your DO apps in closer together may reduce the chance you'd need to place a deposit while waiting post interview for other schools.

In any case: better safe then sorry! I don't want to reapply again!

Good luck!

Sadly, most are high and non refundable :/ and I believe all DO schools have a staggered timeline for when you must make the deposit (i.e. Acceptance by December means you need to give a deposit by date X, acceptance by January requires deposit by Y, etc).
In any case: better safe then sorry! I don't want to reapply again!

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Ouch. I'm hoping I don't have to reapply again, either. Very painful to the wallet and I'd rather have a lot of pain at once than the torture of going through another year. Hopefully this year will be it.

Good luck on getting in! I hope you get a few offers!

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Ouch. I'm hoping I don't have to reapply again, either. Very painful to the wallet and I'd rather have a lot of pain at once than the torture of going through another year. Hopefully this year will be it.

Good luck on getting in! I hope you get a few offers!
Found it: Pg 23 details the traffic guidelines, though not all schools follow them (pg 22).

And ya... That's the funny balance. Haha, I suppose worrying about deposits is a bit of a cart before the horse mentality.... A lot of good happened in this thread last year, so I think we may both find our fortunes this year!

@HopefulPilot @Eccesignum Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely more comfortable making that my challenge essay. I was hesitant about it because what I did to solve the issue seemed kind of weak. I guess if I focus more on changing my mindset to embrace my individuality and uniqueness despite the pressures to conform, it might work out fine.

For my diversity essay, I'm very torn. One option is to talk about how I was raised by two moms, and the perspective that has given me. Option B is to discuss my background in education and as a preschool teacher.

I think I am more passionate about the first option. I don't want to alienate schools, though. But then, I start thinking...do I really want to go to a school where they would judge me for my parents?

I've also considered using growing up with two moms for an adversity/challenge essay, as in my small town, there were a lot of homophobic prejudices, which was difficult growing up. I might just write two versions of diversity, two versions of adversity but ideally want to avoid doing that, as I have 29 secondaries to do :(

Whats up yall! Lets get pumped up! My AACOMAS application is about to be complete once I add my PS. Going to review it this weekend and send it out Monday!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. And for anyone feeling hopeless or dejected, there is always hope! The process itself is exciting and getting this far is a testament to our determination. Push!!!

For my diversity essay, I'm very torn. One option is to talk about how I was raised by two moms, and the perspective that has given me. Option B is to discuss my background in education and as a preschool teacher.

I think I am more passionate about the first option. I don't want to alienate schools, though. But then, I start thinking...do I really want to go to a school where they would judge me for my parents?

I've also considered using growing up with two moms for an adversity/challenge essay, as in my small town, there were a lot of homophobic prejudices, which was difficult growing up. I might just write two versions of diversity, two versions of adversity but ideally want to avoid doing that, as I have 29 secondaries to do :(

You don't have to limit your diversity essay to one topic. You can bring up as many things as you want, so long as it all answers the prompt question.

You don't have to limit your diversity essay to one topic. You can bring up as many things as you want, so long as it all answers the prompt question.

I hadn't considered that. I guess my concern would be how to tie the different aspects of my diversity together while avoiding it coming across as listing. Though, I think my upbringing tied into my decision to focus on social justice education in the first place, so they could flow together nicely...but I could talk about my awesome moms alone for well over 2000 characters!

I hadn't considered that. I guess my concern would be how to tie the different aspects of my diversity together while avoiding it coming across as listing. Though, I think my upbringing tied into my decision to focus on social justice education in the first place, so they could flow together nicely...but I could talk about my awesome moms alone for well over 2000 characters!

The main thing to keep in mind is answer the prompt. Many diversity-esque essays don't just want you to go on about yourself, but to talk about what you're bringing to the class (and other shades of this type of question). It's a subtle narrowing of focus but important. Remember you're working at convincing adcoms that 1) you're a valuable addition to the class and 2) your experiences will make you a strong student/physician/classmate/team player.

@gribear definitely talk about your first option! It's much more interesting and it seems like you're more passionate about that topic vs the other one :)

Personally, I err on the side of caution in my essays. I try to stay on the safe side mostly because my first intention is to get into school. I've intentionally avoided some topics because they could be considered polarizing. I figure, if I want to stand out among the candidates, there are non-polarizing ways to do it. They don't need to judge me in my personal life and I certainly don't want them to judge me only on my life outside of school because it's none of their business.

Not everyone reading the essays is of the same mindset, and not everyone reading the essays is even a science professor.
By all means, it's up to you. Best of luck to you.

Do medical schools see the AMCAS corrections that are made to coursework. My school graduate school uses a quarter system, and I put that designation on my application and AMCAS completely changed it. Will I be penalized for this?

I'm going to write about it. I'm passionate about it, and it shaped me into who I am today, and gives me a unique perspective that I can contribute to a medical school class and the medical profession. LizzyM gave it the go-ahead but gave the same advice as the wise @Eccesignum - make sure it answers the prompt. I can spin it for diversity and adversity..now I am just struggling with which perspective I want to take.

If the school rejects me based on that, I really don't want to spend four years there as it would be a horrible fit

Do medical schools see the AMCAS corrections that are made to coursework. My school graduate school uses a quarter system, and I put that designation on my application and AMCAS completely changed it. Will I be penalized for this?

No, you definitely won't be penalized for it. If AMCAS changed it and you disagree with their changes, give them a call. A lot of things they do are automated. They slip up from time to time. I hope they fix it.

Who would hold the choices parents made against the kid anyways?

Very true.

No, you definitely won't be penalized for it. If AMCAS changed it and you disagree with their changes, give them a call. A lot of things they do are automated. They slip up from time to time. I hope they fix it.

Thank you for the reassurance! I just called them up and addressed my concerns. It seems as though there are different types of quarter systems and I made the mistake of picking the wrong one even though my school stated to choose the one I picked. Regardless, as long as I am not penalized, I'm ok with that.

With that said, I am grateful to be able to start this process! Lets go Notrads!

Has AMCAS sent our primaries to schools yet? How will we know? I somewhat expected an email this morning regarding transmission

Has AMCAS sent our primaries to schools yet? How will we know? I somewhat expected an email this morning regarding transmission

I have already received secondaries from two schools that I have applied to so I assume AMCAS has transmitted our application to schools.

Today is June 24 and so transmission to medical schools started today for those applications already verified.

@gribear Some schools are slower than others at sorting their essays. Last year I had several secondaries come to me within a week of the reception of my primary. Some came later on closer to the deadline. It really depends on the school.

I have already received secondaries from two schools that I have applied to so I assume AMCAS has transmitted our application to schools.

Today is June 24 and so transmission to medical schools started today for those applications already verified.

Which schools? I'm fully verified but haven't gotten any word from my 29 schools yet!

Which schools? I'm fully verified but haven't gotten any word from my 29 schools yet!

I wouldn't worry. I only received one secondary today out of the 28 schools I applied to (I'm also fully verified). Of course it was a secondary I hadn't yet prewritten :(

University of Michigan and BU. Some schools take longer apparently to send secondaries. Those are the only ones that I have received so far. If you were verified your app has been transmitted.

University of Michigan and BU. Some schools take longer apparently to send secondaries. Those are the only ones that I have received so far. If you were verified your app has been transmitted.

Odd, I didn't get one from BU yet. Oh well, I guess they aren't all sent out at once. They can take their time. The OHSU secondary has sucked up all of my pre-writing time thus far and I'm not done with it yet! Thankfully, those six essays provide a lot of fodder for others (adversity, diversity, challenge working with others)

Odd, I didn't get one from BU yet. Oh well, I guess they aren't all sent out at once. They can take their time. The OHSU secondary has sucked up all of my pre-writing time thus far and I'm not done with it yet! Thankfully, those six essays provide a lot of fodder for others (adversity, diversity, challenge working with others)

I'm sure it'll come soon. It may just take some time.

This is going to seem like a really strange question, but does anyone know if I have to release my GMAT or other tests to AMCAS or AACOMAS/TMDSAS?

TIA

Sorry if this is a dumb question @brainnurse but ochem 2 isn't a requirement? And you took the mcat before ochem and biochem?

This is going to seem like a really strange question, but does anyone know if I have to release my GMAT or other tests to AMCAS or AACOMAS/TMDSAS?

TIA
I didn't release my GRE. Don't think it's an issue. If it's amazing maybe someone would care, but otherwise it may just be used for dual admission folks?

If it's amazing maybe someone would care, but otherwise it may just be used for dual admission folks?
Thanks!
I think you're probably right about that. I'm thinking the same thing. It may be for the programs with dual degrees.
I have been steering clear of those, though. It just gives them a reason to stick you in the other degree program if they don't want to admit you into the med school. They can "put you on the back burner" so to speak and still get some cash out of you.

For those who didn't submit day one and are wondering about a timeline, I submitted AACOMAS June 15th and was just verified, including all 6 of my transcripts.

Edit: the grade replacement is REAL. 3.25c/3.54s to 3.5/4.0

Edit 2: I somehow over-calculated my AMCAS gpa, which I'm not thrilled about. Edited above
Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Things are not going so great at the moment. I have yet to come with good draft of my PS and two other smaller diversity/challenges essay. And then do the AMCAS and hit submit.

I have to contact two of LORs to send in the letter asap.

One Prof I did research with hasnt' responded to my email yet. I wonder what happened since I'll be putting his name/info in the AMCAS app