2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paladin258

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone applying for UCSF this year cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Me! Still working on the supplemental essays. Those things are killing me :(

how come UCSF thread is so empty, where is everyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still working as well, I have many ideas but need a lot of time processing and organizing them to best fit the essay questions.

I am applying, haven't really started the supplement. I took a look at it and its insane ...do you guys mind sharing your stats? I dont know if i will get in..do you think i will have a chance because i dont really have much research or pharmacy experience?

UC San Diego, Biochem/Cell Bio major
GPA: 3.79
Science: 3. 88
Pharmacy experience: 3 months of volunteering at a hospital pharmacy
Work/Extracurricular: Chemistry tutor for 2 years and Biology TA for 2 years as well
Research Lab: 6 months of research in cancer lab
Letter of Rec: 4 letters from science professors - they should be pretty good

I don't have any pharmacy experience but I have strong leadership experience to make it up.
UC Santa Barbara. Biochemistry major
GPA: 3.65
Science: 3.7
Research: 9 months at school research lab
Work/Extracurricular: I had 2 positions, co-founder of two clubs, also currently a staff member.
Volunteer: I participated in various non-profit organizations, one is related to health.
Letter: one from professor, one from volunteer work, and one from a mentor.

Stats are just stats, there are many factors that determine your qualifications. They have a very complicated guideline to analyze students' criteria. There is no way to tell if anyone have chance, it doesn't really matter. Just try your best and be yourself.

I don't have any pharmacy experience but I have strong leadership experience to make it up.
UC Santa Barbara. Biochemistry major
GPA: 3.65
Science: 3.7
Research: 9 months at school research lab
Work/Extracurricular: I had 2 positions, co-founder of two clubs, also currently a staff member.
Volunteer: I participated in various non-profit organizations, one is related to health.
Letter: one from professor, one from volunteer work, and one from a mentor.

Stats are just stats, there are many factors that determine your qualifications. They have a very complicated guideline to analyze students' criteria. There is no way to tell if anyone have chance, it doesn't really matter. Just try your best and be yourself.
THANK YOU for your encouragements!! I was really debating if i shall apply, but I think I should still give a try.

You guys have great stats! Should be at the top of the adcom's list.

only less than a month before deadline. How's everyone doing? almost done with the essays?

has anyone gotten stuck on the human condition essay? gee, I'm not sure what they're asking for..

School: UNC Chapel Hill
Major: Chemistry
GPA: ~3.4
PCAT: 91
Recs: 3 letters from prof, pharmacist, lab supervisor
extracurricular: lots
research: 3+ years/ongoing

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone gotten stuck on the human condition essay? gee, I'm not sure what they're asking for..
I discussed this question with the director of inpatient pharmacy at UCSD and was able to draft an essay from our conversation. Basically from what you have experienced so far, what does being human mean to YOU. Very deep question =p

School: UCSD
Major: Pharmacological Chemistry
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: N/A
eLOR: 2 chem professors, pharmacist, pharmacy manager
Experience: 5 years in pharmacy

I discussed this question with the director of inpatient pharmacy at UCSD and was able to draft an essay from our conversation. Basically from what you have experienced so far, what does being human mean to YOU. Very deep question =p

School: UCSD
Major: Pharmacological Chemistry
GPA: 3.86
PCAT: N/A
eLOR: 2 chem professors, pharmacist, pharmacy manager
Experience: 5 years in pharmacy

thanks! just another open-ended question, I guess

Hi guys. I have a quick question about the essay for professional acumen and cultural awareness. Do you think it would be plausible if I wrote about my personal experience instead of educational, employment, or extracurricular experiences? I had some trouble extracting material from those setting. Thanks!

Everyone has amazing stats here! I am also applying with an overall GPA of 3.3, 92 PCAT, currently in an MPH program, and lots of research/public health/pharmacy experience. I don't have high hopes for UCSF, but going to apply anyways.

Everyone has amazing stats here! I am also applying with an overall GPA of 3.3, 92 PCAT, currently in an MPH program, and lots of research/public health/pharmacy experience. I don't have high hopes for UCSF, but going to apply anyways.

Awesome! But PCAT means nothing to them, fyi.

this question makes all the difference to score an interview.

Mm not necessarily. I think all the questions make the difference to score an interview. But if I were to choose one, I would actually say that the Candidate's Statement is on par with PharmCAS, and the other 3 supplementals are incredibly incredibly close on the importance scale :)

Mm not necessarily. I think all the questions make the difference to score an interview. But if I were to choose one, I would actually say that the Candidate's Statement is on par with PharmCAS, and the other 3 supplementals are incredibly incredibly close on the importance scale :)

I definitely agree with that, I feel that the supplement as a whole makes the difference. Four cohesive essays that illuminate your character and your experiences, now that's a challenge!

Hi guys. I have a quick question about the essay for professional acumen and cultural awareness. Do you think it would be plausible if I wrote about my personal experience instead of educational, employment, or extracurricular experiences? I had some trouble extracting material from those setting. Thanks!

I would suggest sticking to the prompt because the essays are just one of many ways that UCSF tests your ability to follow directions. So it would be plausible but not recommended.

Last edited:
I agree with the other comments that you definitely do NOT need pharmacy experience to be a strong candidate for UCSF. A good number of my classmates came in without pharmacy experience. As such, they can contribute a plethora of other backgrounds and skill sets to share with us and apply at the pharmacy sites where they will intern. Leadership experience is a big plus in itself :)

And yes, I encourage anyone with the passion to learn and advance the field of pharmacy to apply! I actually think that self-defeat is one of the biggest obstacles that applicants face, especially when applying to UCSF. When Joel says that the application process is holistic, take his words face value.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with that, I feel that the supplement as a whole makes the difference. Four cohesive essays that illuminate your character and your experiences, now that's a challenge!

Hahaha it's great that you agree! When you approach the UCSF supplementals with a positive attitude (think about it like so: this is the chance for you to show off everything great about yourself and what you've accomplished!), they become less of an obstacle and more of a benefit. But that might just be my optimistic hindsight speaking hahaha.

I would suggest sticking to the prompt because the essays are just one of many ways that UCSF tests your ability to follow directions. So it would be plausible but not recommended.
Thanks! I do have material from extracurricular experience, but I wrote about the same activity in my candidate's statement and I didn't want to be too redundant. So which one is better? 1) write about personal instead of professional experience. 2) stick to the prompt but write about the same organization (but different aspects and learning different things)

Thanks!! And I totally agree with UCSF supplemental being thoughtfully designed. It really shows that they look at more than just GPA and pharm experience. And it makes me feel like I might actually have a chance!

I have a question about filling out the prerequisites. I'm looking at my official transcripts but I have no clue about what to put in for Course #.
For example, General chemistry 1A Is the Course # 1A? or these weird three digits that precede every single class I took like 819?

UCSF is my dream school, but I have around a 3.2 GPA (from a tough school, but I doubt they'll care about that). My PCAT composite was a 97%tile...luckily for me, they don't look at that either. Furthermore, the fact that I'm a degree-less little sophomore simply adds icing to the cake.
Yeah so I'm not getting in, but applying will at least eliminate any regret I may have in the future. Good luck to everyone else too! :)

I currently have 1/4 of the required essays done. I feel like I'm going to have the most trouble with the uniqueness essay because, honestly, nothing makes me more unique than the amazing students they'll admit this year. Plus, whatever I can come up with will probably be matched or topped by every other applicant. ><

Oh and the lovely countdown timer they have on the first page really makes me feel better.

UCSF is my dream school, but I have around a 3.2 GPA (from a tough school, but I doubt they'll care about that). My PCAT composite was a 97%tile...luckily for me, they don't look at that either. Furthermore, the fact that I'm a degree-less little sophomore simply adds icing to the cake.
Yeah so I'm not getting in, but applying will at least eliminate any regret I may have in the future. Good luck to everyone else too! :)

I currently have 1/4 of the required essays done. I feel like I'm going to have the most trouble with the uniqueness essay because, honestly, nothing makes me more unique than the amazing students they'll admit this year. Plus, whatever I can come up with will probably be matched or topped by every other applicant. ><

Oh and the lovely countdown timer they have on the first page really makes me feel better.

I'm in a very similar situation, except I will have my BS before matriculation. Still not holding out much hope because I'm really struggling to write these essays.

Thanks! I do have material from extracurricular experience, but I wrote about the same activity in my candidate's statement and I didn't want to be too redundant. So which one is better? 1) write about personal instead of professional experience. 2) stick to the prompt but write about the same organization (but different aspects and learning different things)

I would suggest option 2, as I feel like it would be acceptable to use the same organization if the two essays portray two different pictures of you. If that organization taught you a lot and helped you grow as a person, it's understandable that it could comprise a significant part of your application. As always, please take my opinion with a grain of salt!

I have a question about filling out the prerequisites. I'm looking at my official transcripts but I have no clue about what to put in for Course #.
For example, General chemistry 1A Is the Course # 1A? or these weird three digits that precede every single class I took like 819?

From last year, I believe you would put 1A. A current applicant should chime in!

Haha their countdown timer is quite considerate, no? :p

I am curious about your timeline--are you planning on graduating early? It isn't my place to say this, but if you're anticipating on applying more than once for a reason such as experience (a test run, for lack of a better phrase), it should be noted that reapplicants do have an additional component to their application.

With regards to the uniqueness essay, don't self-defeat before you can compete! I am positive there is something unique about you that you could talk about--it's really more about what you manage to find about yourself and how you paint it. I struggled a lot with this essay last year as well, since I consider myself a rather un-unique individual. But if you truly reflect on all of the life experiences you have had, you'll be surprised at what has shaped you and how you have shaped things around you. There are many other applicants out there who are qualified, but who is to say you aren't? Let the application cycle become a test of self-improvement instead of competition, and it becomes more inspiring :)

You all still have a few more days! Make sure to submit a few minutes before the deadline because last year it took (what felt like) 5 minutes for the submission to actually go through. Good luck!

I would suggest option 2, as I feel like it would be acceptable to use the same organization if the two essays portray two different pictures of you. If that organization taught you a lot and helped you grow as a person, it's understandable that it could comprise a significant part of your application. As always, please take my opinion with a grain of salt!

From last year, I believe you would put 1A. A current applicant should chime in!

I am curious about your timeline--are you planning on graduating early? It isn't my place to say this, but if you're anticipating on applying more than once for a reason such as experience (a test run, for lack of a better phrase), it should be noted that reapplicants do have an additional component to their application.

With regards to the uniqueness essay, don't self-defeat before you can compete! I am positive there is something unique about you that you could talk about--it's really more about what you manage to find about yourself and how you paint it. I struggled a lot with this essay last year as well, since I consider myself a rather un-unique individual. But if you truly reflect on all of the life experiences you have had, you'll be surprised at what has shaped you and how you have shaped things around you. There are many other applicants out there who are qualified, but who is to say you aren't? Let the application cycle become a test of self-improvement instead of competition, and it becomes more inspiring :)

You all still have a few more days! Make sure to submit a few minutes before the deadline because last year it took (what felt like) 5 minutes for the submission to actually go through. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Haha I'm planning on graduating early, so this is the real deal for me :p
I'm aware of my chances, so I am also applying to a couple other pharmacy schools too.
But ahhh it would be amazing if I can at the very least get an interview at UCSF (it'll give me an excuse to skip school and visit the lovely city of San Francisco ;D).

I feel like I've already discussed all my unique experiences that have shaped me on my pharmCAS personal statement and other supplemental essay. I don't want to repeat myself, so I'm a little stuck haha. And I really hate to just tell them about me...it's so boring!

Are numbers like 819 course numbers used by your school? Then I believe you use those. There is a sample worksheet on the right hand corner of the prereq page. It should clarify your questions.

Thank you so much for your input! I'll hopefully think of something before it's too late!

For the Optional essay, I am thinking about writing why I didn't do so well in my first year. It was the only year i did bad on mainly because I had way too much fun. Do you guys think I should mention and explain it or don't bother?

For the Optional essay, I am thinking about writing why I didn't do so well in my first year. It was the only year i did bad on mainly because I had way too much fun. Do you guys think I should mention and explain it or don't bother?

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. I have stuff I could potentially write for the optional essays, but I feel like they're not THAT bad (such as living in a separate country until the age of 6, working while carrying a heavy courseload, etc). I might just leave it blank because I don't want admissions to think that I'm pitying myself for common, insignificant reasons. I'm scared of coming off as incapable lol.

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. I have stuff I could potentially write for the optional essays, but I feel like they're not THAT bad (such as living in a separate country until the age of 6, working while carrying a heavy courseload, etc). I might just leave it blank because I don't want admissions to think that I'm pitying myself for common, insignificant reasons. I'm scared of coming off as incapable lol.

Ultimately it's up to your discretion. I am also the kind of person to be worried about coming off as self-pitying or making excuses. However, I think that if you have had real obstacles in your life, don't hesitate to write about them. UCSF is understanding, and you won't come off as incapable.

Same here. I learned most of my English after I immigrated here during high school. I'm tempted to write about it. But that was way back in high school. Who cares about that now! It also doesn't help that I don't really have an accent to prove it.

Good luck on apps guys/girls!

Last edited:
how come UCSF thread is so empty, where is everyone else?

I have a supp ready to go, but I'm really hesitant to submit. I think the price of apartments up there is the one thing that will prevent me from applying there :(

I'm having a lot of trouble entering the prereqs on the supplemental app :(
Is there anyone here who can answer a bit of my questions? I've emailed UCSF, but I'm scared they won't get to me on time....
I noticed that UCSF wanted a whole year of Biology. I passed the AP Biology Exam and will be receiving credit for that, but I saw that Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology doesn't count for this, which sucks since I have both under my belt. On the AP credit transfer list, it says that I should still take another biology course with a lab. I go to UNC-Chapel Hill and we offer Molecular Biology and Genetics, but only as a lecture+recitation not as lecture+lab. Would that still work? Or can I use Anatomy and Physiology for the "study biology of whole animals/humans?" I took Anatomy/Phys twice, once at my university, and once at a local community college. Could I use one course to fulfill the physiology requirement, and another to fulfill the biology requirement? Lastly, our physics doesn't cover electricity and magnetism, but another of our class, Analytical chemistry, covers similar concepts. Speaking of Analytical Chem, would that go under Gen. Chem on the supplemental, or just not at all?

Sorry for the wall of disorganized text >< I'm pretty much in the same state was how I'm writing right now haha.

(Or would anyone be able to give my Joel's email? I can't find it anywhere >_>)

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of trouble entering the prereqs on the supplemental app :(
Is there anyone here who can answer a bit of my questions? I've emailed UCSF, but I'm scared they won't get to me on time....
I noticed that UCSF wanted a whole year of Biology. I passed the AP Biology Exam and will be receiving credit for that, but I saw that Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology doesn't count for this, which sucks since I have both under my belt. On the AP credit transfer list, it says that I should still take another biology course with a lab. I go to UNC-Chapel Hill and we offer Molecular Biology and Genetics, but only as a lecture+recitation not as lecture+lab. Would that still work? Or can I use Anatomy and Physiology for the &quot;study biology of whole animals/humans?&quot; I took Anatomy/Phys twice, once at my university, and once at a local community college. Could I use one course to fulfill the physiology requirement, and another to fulfill the biology requirement? Lastly, our physics doesn't cover electricity and magnetism, but another of our class, Analytical chemistry, covers similar concepts. Speaking of Analytical Chem, would that go under Gen. Chem on the supplemental, or just not at all?

Sorry for the wall of disorganized text >< I'm pretty much in the same state was how I'm writing right now haha.

(Or would anyone be able to give my Joel's email? I can't find it anywhere >_>)

One year is biology with lab is usually one year of biology with lab. I see what you are trying to reason with, but I would bet that you will need to finish off that general biology series. As for your physics question, again I would imagine that your school has a physics course with electricity and magnetism and you would need to take that course. The good news is that you still have time to finish these pre-reqs, but definitely confirm with OSACA (Office of Student and Curricular Affairs) regarding which classes will fulfill the requirements that you are missing.

I hope you found the information already but if you still need it look here http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/office/

Last edited:
GO GIANTS!!!!!!!

and Joel's email is under "contact us" in the supplemental application. it usually takes him a day to respond.

I have a supp ready to go, but I'm really hesitant to submit. I think the price of apartments up there is the one thing that will prevent me from applying there :(

If it is a school that you want to go to then I would go and apply. You might find a great and affordable housing situation when you start looking. Even on-campus apartments might be a worthwhile opportunity for you.

submitted last night. I'm so nervous. I keep thinking I might make some mistakes in the application.

If it is a school that you want to go to then I would go and apply. You might find a great and affordable housing situation when you start looking. Even on-campus apartments might be a worthwhile opportunity for you.

Are on campus apartments generally less expensive? If you don't mind me asking, how much is your current rent?

do u guys think leaving the optional essays blank like the ones about socioeconomic status etc will harm us??

Curious.. Why do you think it will harm you?

well not so much harm you, but I'm thinking that most people would have filled it out and when admissions is comparing you to other applicants with it filled out it might give them an upper edge over you?

haha I'm not sure if that made sense