2017 UCSF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they really know how to draw it out, eh?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me about it :p

Its 3 weeks until the deadline for us to make decisions and no one seems to have heard anything yet :eek:

On the bright side I'm sure everyone has had time to consider their options thoroughly and think about the pros and cons of each school on a personal level. Good luck everyone, it can't be long now!

One thing I was thinking about last night, is if they have to watch ~20 minutes of tape per person, and there were about 300 of us (I think, right?), that is 100 hours of just tape for them to watch. Maybe that is why it is taking longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point, BobbyK!

Btw I received a letter from UCSF today via snail mail.

In fact, my mailman knocked on my door saying, "I got your UCSF letter!"

I'm surprised he still remembered my request to keep an eye out for any UCSF (interview) letters since last Christmas.

Turns out it was from Financial Aid. LOL!

I guess this means we can at least progress with filling out our financial aid forms for UCSF.

i called the financial aid dept earlier, and they made it seem like they're sending the letters out to everyone.

Good point, BobbyK!

Btw I received a letter from UCSF today via snail mail.

In fact, my mailman knocked on my door saying, "I got your UCSF letter!"

I'm surprised he still remembered my request to keep an eye out for any UCSF (interview) letters since last Christmas.

Turns out it was from Financial Aid. LOL!

I guess this means we can at least progress with filling out our financial aid forms for UCSF.
LOL SAME HERE!! I was hyperventilating when I saw the letter. Since it was in a small letter, I was like, "OMG rejection letter!!" Then it turns out to be a financial aids letter as well. I remember from the interview, they said they will mail it to everyone. So, most of you should be getting it soon. I live in SF so I get it on the same day as they mail it.

Shoot! I completely forgot to fill out the fafsa! I know the deadline for California is March 2? What does that mean if I passed the deadline? I have heard that you need to fill out fafsa even if you are not sure which school you will attend before the deadline

Shoot! I completely forgot to fill out the fafsa! I know the deadline for California is March 2? What does that mean if I passed the deadline? I have heard that you need to fill out fafsa even if you are not sure which school you will attend before the deadline

They say March 2nd, but I believe there is still a way you can apply, by turning in 1040 forms. Ask your college financial aid counselor I am sure you are fine! No worries. :)

If it helps, Pharm219, I emailed UCSF's financial aid a little while back before the CA FAFSA deadline since UCSF's financial aid website says for incoming students they are to apply for FAFSA as soon as possible after they are accepted but FAFSA's CA deadline is March 2.

Aaron (if you remember him from the financial aid session during the interview) was able to answer my question. He emailed back that it wouldn't hurt to apply for FAFSA by March 2. If I was accepted, it'd speed up the process of putting my financial aid package together. However, if I was accepted and if I applied then, there will be financial aid available as well.

In short, Pharm219, I think it'll be ok if you applied now or even later. :) However, it never hurts to reconfirm with UCSF either.

For BobbyK: Thanks I hope so too! keeps fingers crossed. :)

For PharmD177 and Eskyesther: I agree. I too recall Financial Aid said they'd send the financial aid information to everyone one to help speed up the process of putting financial aid packages for everyone.

I wonder if we'll hear back possibly late next week ~Thurs.

Grins, as you all know, since I was trying to figure out their notification patterns earlier this year: I feel whenever Joel posts on his blog now it may be an indicator to hang on for at least another week. E.g. Thurs. March 7, he blogs that they're still reviewing. Thurs. March 14, he blogs they're still reviewing.

It's a relief to hear that! Thanks for your info NOAEL.

I just got my Financial Aid letter yesterday. I live in Florida...

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in LA and just got my financial aid letter today. is anyone living in socal who hasn't gotten their letter yet?

also, do they really send out the financial aid letters to everyone? i get that they started the financial aid process for us during our interviews already, but the timing of receiving these letters is peculiar...during perhaps the last week of them reviewing applications.

i mean, if they're sending out these letters to everyone why didn't we get them last month a week or two after our interviews, right?

I was wondering the same thing. I got my letter a couple of days ago too, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Maybe it just takes them awhile to get the financial information ready for the year.

By the way, has anyone tried to go do the financial stuff in the letter yet? I tried to do the MyAccess, or whatever it is called, but the confirmation email wasn't getting sent to me. Maybe it's my browser?

Last edited:
Well I know that the practice of pharmacy in California is way more advanced than the practice of pharmacy in the rest of the country (One indication is that the CPJE is harder than the NAPLEX and all the other states' exams) so I would think that UCSF is the real pioneer.

Lol, where are you getting this from ? You actually took the exams and have a first hand experience or just talking? :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing. I got my letter a couple of days ago too, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Maybe it just takes them awhile to get the financial information ready for the year.

By the way, has anyone tried to go do the financial stuff in the letter yet? I tried to do the MyAccess, or whatever it is called, but the confirmation email wasn't getting sent to me. Maybe it's my browser?
I started on mine.

But back in early March when I tried to sign up for it as their take home packet instructed, it wouldn't let me set up a Myaccess account, saying my email was not registered with UCSF.

But after I got my letter, I was able to set up a Myaccess account.

I'm guessing if you didn't use the email address you gave to UCSF it may not have recognized your address? Or it could be they accidentally didn't upload your email yet or mistyped it.

I would suggest trying using the email you gave UCSF but if that doesn't work to either try again on Monday or contact UCSF's financial aid.

Good luck!

Thanks NOAEL! It worked now. I think I was jumping the gun. Maybe they hadn't uploaded it yet like you said.

I don't know if CPJE is harder but I did hear multiple times that it has lower pass rates.

And you don't correlate a lower pass rate with it being harder?

For example, the NAPLEX questions may be harder but you have to achieve lower score to pass. But then I guess that makes it easier overall...

And you don't correlate a lower pass rate with it being harder?

Did you read my post last night or no before I deleted it ? First off, why are you comparing apples and oranges compare equivalent things - MPJE with CPJE if you are goin to go that route, not Naplex with CPJE, that makes no sense. Second, if you are going to argue that our pass rates make us super in clical pharmacy ( what kind of logic is that really ?), pull up statistics available for CPjE pass rates for other Cali schools and see where UCSF stands. You'll be surprised and not pleasantly.

you guys... can we just focus on the important things right now?

all this arguing is getting in the way of me being anxious and constantly checking my email!

you guys... can we just focus on the important things right now?

all this arguing is getting in the way of me being anxious and constantly checking my email!

LOL seriously. Every time I see there's a new post between 9AM and ~5PM, my heart stops. And then I saw their posts :thumbdown:

also, not to state the obvious, but.. UGH UCSF IS TAKING FOREVERR :cry: :scared:

LOLL thank you

Should be right around the corner. Hang on ad stay strong - almost over. March 19th, I got my acceptance letter 4 years ago.

^ Why do current pharm students come back and read these threads anyways? We are just dilly-dallying until we hear something.

Hmm, I'm guessing older students may like to see what their future underclassmen look like and this forum would be one way to get an early preview?

Thank you UES Girl for the encouragement! I'm keeping my fingers cross that we start hearing back this week. :)

That's odd that it was deleted. I actually did read the blog on Ryan. He was one to the students who was there on the UCSF info days and I really liked his input and POV on pharmacy (both in the info day and on the blog).

so who thinks today will be the day they start sending out stuff?

I'd say next week. It makes more sense to finish up the week and start on Monday (hopefully haha)

Just got an acceptance email. Interviewed 1/31

ahh congrats! i also interviewed 1/31 i'll be checking my e-mail... fingers crossed

congrats everyone! did you all receive the email at ~10AM?

still waiting here. I love that there are 42 users with eyes glued to this thread lol. My guess is that they won't send anything else out until at least ~1PM after lunch. good luck to all those still waiting!! :xf:

I just got my acceptance too! I'm extremely happy and accepted the offer. I interviewed on 1/25 and received my email around 11 am today.

(Now I just gotta make sure that the provisional letter becomes a final one after all the class pre-req checks, etc.!)

Also, congratulations to kcha90, bob02, Ryan S, redrobot, and CAAtexas! I look forward to seeing you guys this fall. :)

It's going to be a super exciting time of change in pharmacy and education for us, especially with a bulk of Obamacare's implementations being rolled next year during our P1.

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance email at 11:12 AM today. Interviewed on Feb. 1st. :D

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in so far!

Do you guys think that they give all the good news first before sending out the rejections? =/

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in so far!

Do you guys think that they give all the good news first before sending out the rejections? =/
it kind of looks that way :/ preparing myself for bad news just in case. Has anyone from 2/2 heard anything yet, btw?