2018 University of MD Baltimore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

africanpharmd14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't find any forum for people applying to the University of Maryland this June, so I think its time to start one!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's so early lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else applying early admission?

I haven't started on my essay yet lol :/

Hey guys I'm applying from out of state! Not early admissions though. My PharmCAS is mailed and everything, just waiting to take the PCAT in September.

I understand they don't have rolling admissions though... so won't find out until January i'm guessing.

It says they require three recommendations from faculty/supervisors. Do you think it's ok if two of mine are from Pharmacists (the other two from a prof and supervisor)? I think I read somewhere that people didn't have a problem with it. They don't really specify on their website.

Hey guys I'm applying from out of state! Not early admissions though. My PharmCAS is mailed and everything, just waiting to take the PCAT in September.

I understand they don't have rolling admissions though... so won't find out until January i'm guessing.

It says they require three recommendations from faculty/supervisors. Do you think it's ok if two of mine are from Pharmacists (the other two from a prof and supervisor)? I think I read somewhere that people didn't have a problem with it. They don't really specify on their website.

Check the PharmCAS school pages. Scroll down to near bottom and it says what's required but you should email them. Maybe they say differently.

I have one from a professor, supervisor, and two pharmacists. They say they want them from faculty and supervisors, but I shadowed one of the pharmacists, so I think it will be fine

I am applying here as well. It is one of my top choices so I am hoping to get an interview at the very least.

I'm applying! It's one of my top choices (after the University of Arizona). My pharmcas application just got verified so now it's just the waiting!

I'm thinking of applying early decision too

Last edited:
Maryland is my top choice school!

Last edited:
That's really funny I also applied on the last minute to University of Maryland. Sept. 3 to be exact. Did you get verified. I know mine has to be soon because I'm doing early decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Maryland is not rolling admission, but for regular admission when should we be expecting offers for interviews?

Maryland is not rolling admission I think

Last edited:
Hello Everybody, I also applied to UMB as early decision, my application just got verified last Friday Sept. Friday 13. Spookie. Well only the admission gods can tell. Has anybody had an interview or invitation yet.

Hey did you go to the open house, what insider information did you learn about?

Hey Kingda,

My pharmcas application got verified last Thursday and it is going to be mailed out to UMD on Wednesday (PharmCAS said that is their next mailing date). The open house was great. It was the 2nd time I went to an open house at UMD. The students and faculty are friendly and professional too. They have a wide selection of dual degree programs that I am interested in including a PharmD/MBA, PharmD/JD and PharmD/PhD program. The building is brand new and in a great area of the city (right near downtown and the baseball/fottball stadiums). Your right, its up to the admissions gods now to see what happens! I have a feeling that we might hear something back later this week or the end of next week but really who know? It could be the end of the month. I hate this waiting game haha!

Last edited:
Hey Kingda,

My pharmcas application got verified last Thursday and it is going to be mailed out to UMD on Wednesday (PharmCAS said that is their next mailing date). The open house was great. It was the 2nd time I went to an open house at UMD. The students and faculty are friendly and professional too. They have a wide selection of dual degree programs that I am interested in including a PharmD/MBA, PharmD/JD and PharmD/PhD program. The building is brand new and in a great area of the city (right near downtown and the baseball/fottball stadiums). Your right, its up to the admissions gods now to see what happens! I have a feeling that we might hear something back later this week or the end of next week but really who know? It could be the end of the month. I hate this waiting game haha!

Cool thanks a lot. The dual degree programs is also a big reason why I picked Maryland. If I could have done one thing different during my undergrad it would be a duel degree. Yea, I hope it gets mailed out and we find out soon.

Cool thanks a lot. The dual degree programs is also a big reason why I picked Maryland. If I could have done one thing different during my undergrad it would be a duel degree. Yea, I hope it gets mailed out and we find out soon.

I went to the open house in April, and that's what swayed me to pick them as my top choice. I love the dual degree options and the tuition is among some of the lowest in pharmacy schools. Its also smack-dab in the centre of baltimore, so there will never be a dull moment. Plus, there are some apartments around there that go pretty cheap too.

I'm still trying to complete my essay in order to finally send out my application and get it off my mind....I hope I get in!!! Good luck everyone.

Hey guys I just checked my Pharmcas application and it says it was mailed with a mailing date of 9/18. Also there is a letter R for both the supplemental application and fee. Which I believe is good! I have been looking at other school threads and some people have received interview dates around the end of September. Whats the deal-eo with you guys? Has any yet received an interview?

My PharmCas has shown that since 9/04. The schools that are offering interviews are considered to be schools that participate in rolling admission, thus the September interviews. Unfortunately, Maryland is not a rolling admission school so there will not be any news for quite some time, at least until mid-October to November.

Oh cool, I was wondering about early decision, since it states that early decision applicants find out by October 18. So the other school threads most likely are also early decision or either rolling admission.

I applied early decision too

Last edited:
I applied early decision too

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share this for those who have yet to be notified...

When the school notified me of receiving my early decision application, they also said this:

"Applications are currently under review and interviews will be taking place October 11th. We will notify selected applicants by late September/early October."

Also that the interview invitations will be e-mailed.

So it shouldn't be too far off till we start hearing back. Good luck ya'llz! I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon!

Just thought I'd share this for those who have yet to be notified...

When the school notified me of receiving my early decision application, they also said this:

"Applications are currently under review and interviews will be taking place October 11th. We will notify selected applicants by late September/early October."

Also that the interview invitations will be e-mailed.

So it shouldn't be too far off till we start hearing back. Good luck ya'llz! I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon!

Thanks I just received that same email today.

Hey I also got the email for the early decision interview date. But has anyone got an actual invite for the interview itself. I'll keep you posted if I get an email too. I hope to see all you guys there.

anyone got any interview invites? I'm doing early and I haven't received any email about interview email yet..

Hey Guys,

I applied early decision to UMD too, I got the email saying that interviews would be held the 11th but haven't heard anything back yet....so fingers still crossed lol!

We should definitely be hearing from them for early decision soon I think....

Good Luck everyone!

I got my ED interview invite this morning!

Last edited:
when do the non-ED applicants start hearing back for interview invites? thanks! :D

when do the non-ED applicants start hearing back for interview invites? thanks! :D
I just read in threads from previous years that non-ED applicants get interviewed sometime in January/around then, because MD does not have rolling admissions :C

So... I guess that's that. SUCH a long time to wait :'(

It was quite a relief to get the e-mail today, since I know we all were waiting eagerly for it. So glad to hear you all got ED interview invites. I'll also be seeing you guys there. Much luck to us all :thumbup: :)

I hope everyone's interviews went well last Friday (for early decision) :thumbup:

For me, it was a really great experience and I definitely enjoyed my time :)

I'm sure we'll have a great class! :clap:

It was for me, as I received my letter of acceptance!!!

I got my acceptance letter last night too!!

I got in too, really enjoyed the interview process though, it seemed scary in the beginning but it wasn't bad at all.

Congratulations everyone that got accepted! Hopefully I can get a chance to interview here during regular admissions.

Congrats to all those who were accepted! I'm a current student here, and I love it. If you have any questions about the program, I can try to answer them, but I may not be able to answer them right away. Also, I'm only a P1, so I have very limited experience to draw upon. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats to all those who were accepted! I'm a current student here, and I love it. If you have any questions about the program, I can try to answer them, but I may not be able to answer them right away. Also, I'm only a P1, so I have very limited experience to draw upon. Best of luck to everyone!

Are you able to get residence tuition or do you have to pay non-residence tuition for the entire 4 years? The difference in costs b/w the 2 is almost twice as much according to the PDF file on the website. Any info would be appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Not exactly program related, but how feasible would traveling from DC to Baltimore be? If I do get an interview to UMD, then I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea if I stay over at my cousin's (who lives in DC) or just get a hotel room.

Are you able to get residence tuition or do you have to pay non-residence tuition for the entire 4 years? The difference in costs b/w the 2 is almost twice as much according to the PDF file on the website. Any info would be appreciated! :)

I'd recommend checking out http://www.umaryland.edu/orr/residency/in_state_status.html. The registrar outlines the requirements that need to be met to be considered in-state. It's not an easy process, but many students who are proactive can successfully get a re-evaluation of in-state residency after their first-year. The onus is on you to prove that you're not in Maryland just for school. I'm actually trying to do that right now. It does make a huge difference for tuition. Make sure you are aware of all the deadlines to make sure you get everything done in time.

You will need to register any vehicles you own in the state of MD. Specifically you will need to register your car and get your driver's license before a particular date near the beginning of the academic year. Make sure you know the documentation you need for that, and be cognizant of how long it can take to get the supporting documentation for even registering your car/getting a DL. It can be long and tedious, but it's worth it!

When you guys get accepted and you send in your security deposit, I suggest joining your class's Facebook page. It will serve as a resource where you can figure things like this out with other classmates and people in older classes will be able to provide support and advice on that kind of stuff.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your response and for the extremely helpful info, y0ssarian87! :) I wish you the best on getting your in-state status. :)

Not exactly program related, but how feasible would traveling from DC to Baltimore be? If I do get an interview to UMD, then I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea if I stay over at my cousin's (who lives in DC) or just get a hotel room.

If you get an afternoon interview time, save the money. Morning interview, stay over at a hotel to make sure you dont arrive late. DC beltway traffic is notoriously bad and while Baltimore traffic is not terrible, why add that variable and stress to your anxiety if its not absolutely necessary?

If you get an afternoon interview time, save the money. Morning interview, stay over at a hotel to make sure you dont arrive late. DC beltway traffic is notoriously bad and while Baltimore traffic is not terrible, why add that variable and stress to your anxiety if its not absolutely necessary?

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to deal with the traffic if I had a morning interview.