2019: Official thread CWRU School of Dental Medicine c/o 2019

What resources did you use to affirm your interest in applying to Case?

• Facebook page

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Twitter feed

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Google+ page

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Free webchats

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Online mock interview masterclasses

• ADEA Predental Student Virtual Fair booth

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • The CWRU SODM website

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • On-campus recruitment visit.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Online recruitment visit to my predental club.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be patient guys. Results should be out soon or later. People are starting to give up their seats because they cannot hold onto multiple offers starting tmw. I would wait out to increase our chance for an offer rather than a waitlist spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
That is a really good point! Thank you so much. I wish I had started using SDN earlier. Everyone is so kind and supportive :) It feels great to know that I am not alone in this exciting yet scary process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on Hold List. I have been accepted at NYU, and seeing as people on this list rarely get an acceptance I will be withdrawing my application. Thanks for your consideration Dr. Chuck, and the opportunity to tour the fine facilities at CWRU. All the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Ouch. I got hit with the bad news too. But I will try to remain optimistic and still hope to hear back from cwru.

Reactions: 3 users
Still determined.

I still haven't heard back from Case......I wish they would just tell me already if I am getting an interview invite or a rejection. Even if its a rejection, which is not the news I want to hear, I rather they just let me know instead of leaving me hanging!

Dear Dr. Chuck,

Can you clarify when the committee will meet to finalize the alternate list? The e-mail was not very clear regarding which month it would be ( It said "this month" but I am not sure if that's referring to March or April).

Also, does the admission office offer consultation for reapplicants who wish to reapply to CWRU? Thank you.

April obviously. March is already gone now. Now I wonder whether there was anyone who got the offer yesterday. Anyone? Were we just interviewing for an alternate list?

Last edited:
Going to withdraw my seat!! I've been accepted to my dream school. Good luck to everyone that still wants to go here. I'm hoping someone from SDN gets it!

Placed on Hold List. I have been accepted at NYU, and seeing as people on this list rarely get an acceptance I will be withdrawing my application. Thanks for your consideration Dr. Chuck, and the opportunity to tour the fine facilities at CWRU. All the best.
Congrats to you Mr. Stump! I'm happy for you. NYU is an excellent school! I loved their facilities. All the best

Hi everyone,
I apologize that it's taking so long. We have a number of files that need final review that we are trying to get to, and as promised, we are trying to review everyone we interviewed in February. As soon as we have these last few files finally reviewed, we'll try to expedite decisions as soon as we can.
@casedentalmed

@casedentalmed
Dr. Chuck,

For those of us still waiting....has admissions sorted through all the files that needed final review (without interview)?
Just curious if there is a chance that I can still receive an interview invite?
OR if Case has filled it's interview slots...and in that case I can expect a rejection?

Thanks!

@casedentalmed

@casedentalmed
Dr. Chuck,

For those of us still waiting....has admissions sorted through all the files that needed final review (without interview)?
Just curious if there is a chance that I can still receive an interview invite?
OR if Case has filled it's interview slots...and in that case I can expect a rejection?

Thanks!

Most of the files we received have had an initial review, but we will reserve the right to interview more applicants if we do not fill the class. Rejections will likely not go out until the class is officially filled and the committee is satisfied with the alternate lists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any movement on the Waitlist/Holdlist?

Last edited:
We have completed our scheduled DMD interviews for the incoming class of 2015. Depending on the situation with filling our class, additional interviews may be scheduled on an ad hoc basis. We are in the process of evaluating the last group of interview candidates and beginning the process of ranking the alternate pool for an intended notification at the end of April to early May. Please be patient with us. Anyone who is on the alternate list is encourage to provide any updates to your file by the end of the week.

congrats! When will you have to response? I was put in the waiting list, and want to know when the next round of offers would be send out! Thanks!
Thank You! The deposit has to be received in their office by Friday, May 15th.

The decisions are in. We will be sending out the results today. It is the last day of class, so be patient with us.

DONE!
Dr Chuck, for those of us were put into alternate list. Could you please let us know how many applicants are in this list? Also, if we submitted application to Case for the next cycle, we will be considered opt-out this waiting list, right? Thank you very much!

If you are applying next month, find out from current first-year dental students about their experiences with the application process and their first year in dental school in an upcoming ADEA webinar: the recording is found at . One of the panelists is a D1 from Case Western Reserve who has participated this past year in our webchats (or attempted ones) before.

Last edited:
Crossing fingers for more acceptances to be sent out today. Only 80 days left till orientation :nailbiting:

Does anyone have an idea about the number of people on the wait list's upper middle and lower third?

:)

Crossing my fingers for this year

Does anyone have an idea about the number of people on the wait list's upper middle and lower third?

:)

Crossing my fingers for this year

I don't know whether Dr Chuck will release this information or not. I do hope so!

I could share my "research" about alternate list at Case with you. However, please note that this is just my guess.
Based on threads in previous years, they put ~45 in alternate list in recent cycles, and in some cycles they put ~20 in alternate list.
In addition, last year, I guess they accepted many applicants, maybe over 20 or even ~40, from waiting list, which is at least partially due to they ended last cycle early. In some cycles ended at a time similar to this cycle, only about <10 were accepted from alternate list, including some lucky or "unlucky" ones who were off the list in Jun. and Jul. So, this could be a long time waiting game.

Thank you. I was wondering the approximate numbers since they interview about 300 a year. Was worried that the list may be huge. I'll still keep my hopes up. You have done a fair bit of reading on the board !! Good luck to wherever you are applying

Last edited:
Thanks for that post. Definitely insightful. I want this so badly. Hoping for good news.
The commencement pictures from Sunday looked incredible. :)

Last edited:
The alternate list is moving guys! I was accepted this morning from the top 5

That has to be the best feeling. Congratulations!

So I'll go ahead and let people know every year the length of the alternate and hold lists will vary in size and depends on the applicant pool we get and the decisions made by the Admissions Committee. Normally our alternate list is between 30 and 50 people, and the speed of running through the list is highly dependent on the decisions made by those on the list, those offered, and those holding deposits. As a result, there is no natural pattern to be discerned or anticipated based on past results from the alternate list. We are now moving to extend offers down our alternate list, and we'll see how far we go.

In our history and I'm sure other dental schools' histories, we have gone up to the week of Orientation to make offers, so it's never truly over. However, we do encourage applicants on the lists to be sure they submit an early application by July 1-4 to be sure that if you have to go through another cycle that your file is in the queue. I encourage everyone to make sure everything is updated, particularly transcripts and letters (at least one if possible) that provide a proper positive update to your previous application. Granted, past performance and invitations for interview are not guaranteed. I do encourage at least an attempt to update activities and essays in AADSAS.

If you saw last year's webchat for desirable applicants or been to presentations I have given on our applicant pool, you already have insight to the competitive nature of our general pool to guide your strategic decisions on your application. I hope to be able to reprise this, but there are a lot of webinars scheduled through ADEA and the upcoming Virtual Fair so I don't want to overwhelm people.

Just reminding everyone of our Checklist for Applicants which also describes the Alternate List and Hold List (at the bottom of the page).

Last edited:
@casedentalmed thanks for the information Dr. Chuck. I was wondering if retaking my DATs would upgrade my position on the alternate list? Will it still be considered at this point? My graduate GPA is a 3.7 in all the same courses as first year and second year at Case. I know I can pull up my averages on my DATs.

@casedentalmed thanks for the information Dr. Chuck. I was wondering if retaking my DATs would upgrade my position on the alternate list? Will it still be considered at this point? My graduate GPA is a 3.7 in all the same courses as first year and second year at Case. I know I can pull up my averages on my DATs.

Our office always encourages updating the application throughout the process before the alternate list is created and voted upon. At this rate, I would encourage retaking the DAT's if for the reason to make sure your reapplication is even stronger should you not get into dental school this time.

@casedentalmed , Dear Dr. chuck, I hope you are doing fine, sir? I just wanted to ask about when the next round of offers will be. thank you very much for your great help with us so far. I really hope you and Mr. Brian Sherman are doing fine and great :). It was nice to have met you.

@casedentalmed , Dear Dr. chuck, I hope you are doing fine, sir? I just wanted to ask about when the next round of offers will be. thank you very much for your great help with us so far. I really hope you and Mr. Brian Sherman are doing fine and great :). It was nice to have met you.

We are rolling through the waitlist, so the timing will be completely dependent on those extended offers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.