22 day MCAT study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThiaminePyroPhosphate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys I'm planning to retake the MCAT on January 8. My school term just finished. Starting from today, I have roughly 22 days to study with no other commitment. I took it the first time on Sept 6, and scored a 12/8/10. Verbal is definitely my weak section. I plan on reviewing bio + orgo in 1 day, and phys+chem the next day. Leaving me 20 days to do practice problems. Throughout the 22 days, I'm also planning to do 6 passages per day from EK verbal (have half left) and TPR.

I'm not sure how I should prepare for the sciences. Should I do practice passages or just start doing full length practice tests?
What should I do for FL practices? For my first take, I went through all of the AMMC practice tests in August. Should I retake them?

I also have Princeton Review practice tests and Kaplan practice tests available.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like you come off as relatively strong with your content review so a bit of review and practice passages during review would do it. Ideally you'd move on to FLs but if you're out of AAMC maybe try another company? Do you have the self-assessment package? That would be a useful bank to hammer out any remaining gaps.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like you come off as relatively strong with your content review so a bit of review and practice passages during review would do it. Ideally you'd move on to FLs but if you're out of AAMC maybe try another company? Do you have the self-assessment package? That would be a useful bank to hammer out any remaining gaps.

I was thinking of switching to Kaplan FL practice tests. Which company would represent the actual AMMC difficulty? I've tried 1 full length TPR practice test, and it was very difficult compared to the AMMC FL, especially the verbal section.

I was considering redoing all the AMMC FL, but I hear that it might not be beneficial cause I took it beforehand. All of my scores would be increased as a result.

I have the AMMC self-assessment packages available (except Chemistry - already finished it). I guess I'll do all of them. Is the verbal self-assessment package helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys I'm planning to retake the MCAT on January 8. My school term just finished. Starting from today, I have roughly 22 days to study with no other commitment. I took it the first time on Sept 6, and scored a 12/8/10. Verbal is definitely my weak section. I plan on reviewing bio + orgo in 1 day, and phys+chem the next day. Leaving me 20 days to do practice problems. Throughout the 22 days, I'm also planning to do 6 passages per day from EK verbal (have half left) and TPR.

I'm not sure how I should prepare for the sciences. Should I do practice passages or just start doing full length practice tests?
What should I do for FL practices? For my first take, I went through all of the AMMC practice tests in August. Should I retake them?

I also have Princeton Review practice tests and Kaplan practice tests available.

Thanks!

In my experience, the following works well for most students:

1. SCIENCE - EK lecture books for all 2014 science topics. (Not the 1001 questions books, just the lecture books. And don't just go through the motions, make a point to learn everything in there or come as close to that as you can efficiently.) EK is the most concise MCAT prep book and I believe that it mentions every single topic you need to know. I used EK alone and got 12's in both science sections. The trick is to move along and not to get stuck. Whenever I got stuck or needed more info, I would either go to youtube, the internet, other MCAT prep books, or a tutor for assistance. My personal favorite tutoring company is Wyzant. I would not let any topic waste my time. I would efficiently try to figure something out and if it was not getting resolved, I would write it down for later, and MOVE ON. For efficiency, also make sure you stick to MCAT level stuff. It will not help your score to learn anything above MCAT level. When in doubt see AAMC's master list of topics. Chad videos are also very helpful and are a great supplement to EK books.

2. VR - No company even comes close to replicating AAMC's VR style. For this reason, do an AAMC passage on a regular basis. Passages can come from AAMC's Guide to the MCAT, the Self Assessment, and you can reuse them if need be. Just stay familiar with AAMC's style. So that you don't run out of passages, TPR is a second best. I would not use EK VR because in my observation, their passages are 1-2 paragraphs shorter than AAMC's passages on average, EK's VR has many answer key errors that worry some test takers, and EK's VR style is way off IMO. (To be fair, EK VR does teach some good lessons with their questions, but you don't have time for that at this point. Stick to AAMC and TPR, and consider getting a tutor.) VR can be the most resistant subject when it comes to improving a score. Tutoring may be an option. Try to study VR every single day in addition to whatever else you do.

3. OVERALL - Take one full length a week. Alternating between TPR and AAMC is fine. In the meantime, if I were in your position, I would use the table of contents in EK to determine the order of subjects, and just give it my all. I would work tirelessly and as efficiently as possible with the goal of reading and/or skimming every one of those (EK lecture) books and doing every last question in the Lecture books (not the 1001 question books). I have observed that some people try to set a schedule where they limit themselves to doing a certain amount each day. I warn that that method can backfire once you get to a day, or several days, where you cannot finish what you planned to accomplish, or when you realize that electromagnetism is a much larger topic than originally presumed. For this reason, I say, do it in order, but work HARD. If you finish early, great! But I think you will agree that this is not the time to finish late!!!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Makes no sense retaking FL's. Take the TPR and Kaplan ones. I hear TPRH verbal is good, but I don't have any experience with VR prep. The TPRH Science workbook is excellent though. As are the TBR books. Nice PS score, btw.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all of the questions in TPRH science book. I also did some of the TBR questions during the summer. TBR is great for PS, but given the time constraint, I don't think I can finish it since it's very detailed. Should I redo TPRH passages, or go through the EK books like someone suggested above? Any thoughts guys?

I did all of the questions in TPRH science book. I also did some of the TBR questions during the summer. TBR is great for PS, but given the time constraint, I don't think I can finish it since it's very detailed. Should I redo TPRH passages, or go through the EK books like someone suggested above? Any thoughts guys?

You did ALL of the TPRH science questions? discretes and passages? Holy crap.

I wouldn't re-do anything. You still have TBR so you should definitely do those. Just do 1/3 of the passages at a time. The content is detailed, but you are finished with content aren't you?

I personally found the EK books to be too scant, but if you're finished with most others you should give them a go.

^ Well I definitely did all the discretes, and I'd say 90% of the passages haha. Content is taking way longer than expected, at this rate, I don't think I won't be done until Sunday.

^ Well I definitely did all the discretes, and I'd say 90% of the passages haha. Content is taking way longer than expected, at this rate, I don't think I won't be done until Sunday.

I'm always doing content. What do you need to do content-wise? Did you just forget some of the stuff from when you did all of those practice problems?

I did those practice problems in the summer. I haven't touched anything MCAT related since early September cause I was busy with school. So I have to review everything and then start practising to get my speed up to par, especially for PS,

Thanks!

Hey, I might be in a similar boat as you (I plan on checking my score after finishing finals!). But if I end up signing up for the Jan. 15 or 23 spots (a HUGE number of seats are rapidly becoming available), my plan is this:
Take FLs with 3 days between successive ones; whatever you miss or guess on, thoroughly review that. Also, in those 2-3 days, use TBR or any other passage source to make timed lengthy mini-tests and do same as above. If you still have time left or in a break, bombard yourself with EK1001 or TPRHSW discretes.
This is pretty much similar to the Spinach Dip Method that's been popular on SDN.
You clearly are good with the content, so don't spend too much time there; instead use nonstop FLs and practice problems to gauge what you need to review.