DO 24 (7/9/8) cgpa 3.8 sgpa 3.8?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychonergic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to that, I've got a fair amount of clinical work experience, research and clinical experience in a VA Medical Center, numerous administrative and leadership experiences, and a rural background. Eyeballing new DO schools, and those that emphasize rural healthcare. What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to apply? There are a few DO schools where the median MCAT is in the 24 to 25 range. Apply to 15 or more schools with an emphasis on the new schools and schools with median MCAT scores of 26 or less.

Have you shadowed a DO? Do you have a DO LOR? Both those factors help a lot, especially when you have sub-par stats like your MCAT score. Don't apply to Touro-CA, Touro-NY, AZCOM, CCOM etc. Also don't apply to any DO schools that gives regional/state preference because as you probably know, the only OOS applicants they accept are those with strong stats.

The average DO matriculant last cycle had an MCAT score of 27, always keep that in mind. To overcome your MCAT deficiency, please follow Faha's suggestion and submit secondaries to a lot of new low-tier DO schools. Submit at least 10 secondaries, more if you can do it.

Yes, I've shadowed with multiple DO's and have a DO LOR. I also have an instate DO school, with regional bias, and it's actually at the top of my list. I am also grateful that the schools that have lower median/mean mcat scores are in rural locations, and that's what I'd prefer. Hopefully I can convey that interest in any secondaries I get. I've got 20 primaries to be sent, once verification is over. I just need 1 to show me some love! If anybody else had any suggestions, I'd be open to them - thanks!