MD & DO 24 MCAT 3.56 cGPA 3.47 sGPA URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonathanMorales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.56 cgpa and 3.47 sgpa. Volunteer work at UCSD Medical Center, work and research with children with autism spectrum disorders, shadowed both an MD & DO. Currently work in a mental health facility. 9 PS, 8 BS, 7 VR. What are my chances and also what schools do you guys suggest I apply to. I already have a list but just want to see if there is any schools that I'm missing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lower tier MDs, HBMCs and DOs should be your focus. Goro and those in the know probably have some specific schools often not recommended(such as some OOS public schools) but are recommended for URMs. You gotta show the list for help on whether you are missing anything.

If you don't get in this cycle re-take the MCAT; that score is considered a risk score for struggling with boards later on.

Edit: gyngyn's questions are really important and factors beyond what you listed to really consider.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't use your real name on SDN. I certainly don't.

Assuming that you are from a URM Hispanic community based on your surname, 39% of Hispanic applicants with a GPA between 3.40 and 3.59 and a MCAT between 24-26 were accepted to at least one MD program in the last two years. Many of the ones that were not were accepted to DO programs. Are you fluent in Spanish? This is a very valuable skill to have in the clinic that will make schools interested in you.

for the community I have participated in a coalition for my city that was responsible for street cleanups and stuff like that. Language skills: native language is Spanish. Also, worked as a tutor for high school students.
List
Rosalind Franklin in Chicago
University of Illinois
southern illinois university school of medicine
Rush medical college
UCLA Drew
George Washington University
University of Arizona-Phoenix
Florida State University
Michigan State University
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

for the community I have participated in a coalition for my city that was responsible for street cleanups and stuff like that. Language skills: native language is Spanish. Also, worked as a tutor for high school students.
List
University of Illinois
Rush medical college
UCLA Drew
Florida State University

What hispanic community. Not all Hispanics are considered URMS for medical school admission; whether or not you are a URM has a HUGE influence on what your plan should be for admission. Also was that your only MCAT attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a mexican-american. I lived most of my childhood in Mexico, then came to the US to finish middle school, high school, and college. I have taken the MCAT 3 times.

I'm a mexican-american. I lived most of my childhood in Mexico, then came to the US to finish middle school, high school, and college. I have taken the MCAT 3 times.

I believe you qualify as a URM but the bolded part is an issue. I would defer to those who have much better input than me such as gyngyn for advice.

Can someone comment on the URM? I am mexican as well and I was wondering if that is URM.

List
University of Illinois
Rush medical college
UCLA Drew
Florida State University
Don't apply to FSU unless you have Florida residency. For 120 seat class, they only interviewed 9 of 3000 OOS applicants, and matriculated 3 OOS.

Reactions: 1 user