25 yrs old and Making a Career Change...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SciAquarian11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone (I'm new to this forum) :)

I'm considering making a career change and earning a PharmD is one of my options. I'm 25 and currently working full-time at bio-pharmaceutical company in PA. I have a B.S in biochemistry, would like to work part time as a pharmacy tech to gain more exposure in the field (in addition to my full time job), and I plan to study for a year to take the PCAT. I already identified the schools and all of their requirements. Thus, I believe that if I take one or two of my missing courses, get entry level pharmacy experience, plus do well on the PCAT, my chances of getting in are pretty good.

However, I keep reading discouraging reviews about becoming a pharmacist from recent graduates and from individuals who have been in the field for a while. The big one is job outlook. I'm attracted to this field because of the discipline (math and science), the security, and of course the potential pay. Is there anyone who thinks that this career is awesome? Though the decision is ultimately mine, reading other people's thoughts will help put my mind at ease and solidify my decision.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll keep this short and sweet. I've been a pharmacy technician retail and hospital for 7 years and I love it! PLUS I just got accepted to pharmacy school for the fall of 2014 and I'm 25 years old. You look like you have an AWESOME background. That will look really good on applications. I do suggest that you try to get a job in a pharmacy somewhere to see if you will like it. If you are a people person go with retail. But if you like more hands on and clinical go with hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
You are going to encounter some conformation bias from this fourm. There are a lot of negative pharmacists on here. To address your question, yes there are quite a few pharmacists who really love their jobs. Both retail and hospital. The job market is pretty tight currently. Thanks to all the schools that have opened in the past ten years. Not sure about in PA but there are still jobs in more rural areas. It also has a lot to so with who you know and not what you know. It's important to make connections early. That's how I got my internship and I also got internships for three other people because they knows and I recommended them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll keep this short and sweet. I've been a pharmacy technician retail and hospital for 7 years and I love it! PLUS I just got accepted to pharmacy school for the fall of 2014 and I'm 25 years old. You look like you have an AWESOME background. That will look really good on applications. I do suggest that you try to get a job in a pharmacy somewhere to see if you will like it. If you are a people person go with retail. But if you like more hands on and clinical go with hospital.

Cool, thanks for your reply tech2pharmd :)

You are going to encounter some conformation bias from this fourm. There are Alot of negative pharmacists on here. To address your question, yes there are quite a few pharmacists who really love their jobs. Both retail and hospital. The job market is pretty tight currently. Thanks to all the schools that have opened in the past ten years. Not sure about in PA but there are still jobs in more rural areas. It also has a lot to so with who you know and not what you know. It's important to make connections early. That's how I got my internship and I also got internships for three other people because they knows and I recommended them.

Thanks, Jibby321. Luckily I wont mind moving to a rural area if I need to. Actually, I think I would prefer it. Lol.

You are going to encounter some conformation bias from this fourm. There are Alot of negative pharmacists on here. To address your question, yes there are quite a few pharmacists who really love their jobs. Both retail and hospital. The job market is pretty tight currently. Thanks to all the schools that have opened in the past ten years. Not sure about in PA but there are still jobs in more rural areas. It also has a lot to so with who you know and not what you know. It's important to make connections early. That's how I got my internship and I also got internships for three other people because they knows and I recommended them.

Worth mentioning that I have encountered a surplus of idiocy within my peers; but this may be a reflection of the lowered admissions standards and not of today's (yesterday's) pharmacy as a whole. I am worried for the future, though.

Your academic/career profile so far looks excellent. Having a biochemistry background will definitely help you with some of the classes (pharmacology + medchem) in pharmacy school. I suggest you get some entry level experience, not only because most schools require this of their applicants, but it will also help you decide whether or not you like the job and it'll give you a chance to figure out what area of pharmacy you may want to go into once you graduate. Hope that helps.

Luckily I wont mind moving to a rural area if I need to. Actually, I think I would prefer it. Lol.

That's the magic attitude and answer. Graduate and you will have a job within 1 month. Again, be willing to go anywhere for any shift in any city, you will have a job within 1 month. Not the best pharmacist job, but you will have a pharmacist job to pay bills and will have left over to live.

Now....Step 1: I am saving you 15 thousands dollars now....You can study to be pharmacy technician at home. You do not have to go school. Please look for detailed discussion around this forum of student doctor network for discussion involving keyword ptcb

The keyword is ptcb

The website is www.ptcb.org

Good luck...

Now....Step 1: I am saving you 15 thousands dollars now....You can study to be pharmacy technician at home. You do not have to go school. Please look for detailed discussion around this forum of student doctor network for discussion involving keyword ptcb

The keyword is ptcb

The website is www.ptcb.org

Good luck...

+1
That's what I did.