26 yo Chem E, Grades all over the place, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENGR2DO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my story: I'm 26 yo, I have a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering and am in an career that I'm less than satisfied with. I've always dreamed of being a doctor. I really didn't concentrate in college during the first couple of years, well the first 3 years (of 5). I got a D in O chem II and wrote off ever going to Med school. Unsatisfied with work and frankly missing school I have started looking at DO programs, I had not realized I could retake classes and replaced grades for an application. My graduating GPA was a 2.85 both cumulative and science calculated AACOMAS style, but with an upward trend from straight C first year and C and D sprinkled through out.

My GPA spread sheet tells me if I take bio I & II and retake Calc II and O Chem II with As. I will have a 3.0 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA.

Additionally retaking Gen Chem I and O Chem I will get it to 3.08cGPA and 3.39 sGPA. All of which I believe is well within my abilities.

My questions are:

What further retakes if any, will help more than new grad level course?

Is my thinking that a good sGPA and MCAT will negate a low cGPA correct?

I am enrolling in Bio next semester at the community college (only thing available) and shadowing at the locale hospital. I figure I’ll study for the MCAT and take a few practice tests and adjust from there. Good MCAT prospects may lead me to quit and go back to school full time on savings.

If any one wishes I have all my grades typed up, but it is log and messy. Just ask and I will post.

Members don't see this ad.

essentially, you need to smoke any and all courses from this point forward. if you could manage a 4.0 that would help offset your poor grades from before. obviously doing well on the mcat will be a big plus, and shadowing and research experience is going to be helpful as well.

it will take a lot of hard work on your part, but its definitely doable. good luck.

I would retake any class that was a D or lower and also retake most Cs if not all Cs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake every class you can. I will be retaking any class with a C and below.

Yeah, if you are going DO, retake all the prereq c grades.....it will be good study for the mcat. Also find a few hours a week to shadow/volunteer at a hospital or doctor so you can say you know that you like it

good luck

As far as retaking courses (because i too need to do damage repair), Does financial aid pay for that? Or are these retakes coming out of pocket?

As far as retaking courses (because i too need to do damage repair), Does financial aid pay for that? Or are these retakes coming out of pocket?
Depends on the person and the school. Personally, I've seen more people retaking having to do it out of pocket. First time second career people often get some financial aid.

Definitely retake your low grades and aim for As. You want to convince adcoms that you've progressed from your younger days in school because medical school ain't no joke.

A good sGPA, btw, is like 3.6 even for AACOMAS. If you had a 3.6 sGOA and a 3.4 cGPA, you'd probably get some slack, but with a 3.2/3.0, probably not.

I'm 25 with a BS in BME. I'm in a similar boat (GPA, situation-wise, currently re-taking all C's at CC while working full-time as an engineer). I wish you the best! Keep us posted and don't give up!