27, 29, Take MCAT third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonnymed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend took the MCAT a couple of years ago and got a 27 (V9 P8 B10) and retook this year and got a 29 (V10 P9 B10). Her writing sample score dropped from a 'R' to something much lower because she submitted her first essay early on accident.(she wouldn't tell me what her new writing score was) She is seriously reconsidering retaking again in August and still applying for this coming application cycle. She plans on submitting her AMCAS in the next week or so and telling the schools a new score will be coming.

Do Med schools average the three MCAT scores, or is the most recent score given more consideration?

Are there serious drawbacks to taking the test 3 times?

If she retakes and has a better writing sample and (V10 P10 B12) which is her goal, will that make a significant difference?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

After talking with her, she said her second writing score was a 'M'. Any advice for my friend?

What this friend's GPA/ECs/Letters like? A 29 is not the kiss-of-death.

If she retakes in August she'll get scores back in September. If she was proactive and was verified ahead of time she's late, but can still possibly do well. If she submits AMCAS when she gets scorres back she'll be "really late."

Members don't see this ad :)
What this friend's GPA/ECs/Letters like? A 29 is not the kiss-of-death.

If she retakes in August she'll get scores back in September. If she was proactive and was verified ahead of time she's late, but can still possibly do well. If she submits AMCAS when she gets scorres back she'll be "really late."

I don't understand. Can you submit your AMCAS without completing the "Tests" section? I only ask because my MCAT score won't be released until Aug. 19. I plan on submitting as soon as that comes in. If I can submit earlier, I certainly will, but can I? If so, won't the schools just sit on my application until they get everything anyways?

My friend took the MCAT a couple of years ago and got a 27 (V9 P8 B10) and retook this year and got a 29 (V10 P9 B10). Her writing sample score dropped from a 'R' to something much lower because she submitted her first essay early on accident.(she wouldn't tell me what her new writing score was) She is seriously reconsidering retaking again in August and still applying for this coming application cycle. She plans on submitting her AMCAS in the next week or so and telling the schools a new score will be coming.

Do Med schools average the three MCAT scores, or is the most recent score given more consideration?

Are there serious drawbacks to taking the test 3 times?

If she retakes and has a better writing sample and (V10 P10 B12) which is her goal, will that make a significant difference?

Thanks

Your friend has probably gotten a pretty true reading on her MCAT score with those 2 exams - statistics show that she is as likely to go down on a 3rd testing rather than up, and that would not be helpful at all - unless she does something completely different before a 3rd test, like taking a prep course and scoring consistently in the mid 30s on practice tests, it is a bad idea to retake in her case...

She should go ahead and apply with her current scores, and if she doesn't get any interviews, she might consider taking the MCAT next Spring, but with a whole new approach (test prep service, etc).