27 (9/9/9) Retake for Upcoming Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I got the scores back for my Jan. 13th MCAT last week and was somewhat surprised to get a 27 (9/9/9). The 27 is not what surprised me, as this was my AAMC average, but the 9 in PS & BS is what I'm scratching my head about. I never scored below a 10 in the sciences with the practice tests. Conversely, I rarely scored a 9 in verbal... averaged a 7.5 here.

Anywho, I am curious if y'all would recommend me taking the new exam in June or July and still apply this upcoming cycle? The main reason I am so hesitant to do this is because I GAVE EVERYTHING into studying for the MCAT. I spent 500+ hours studying all last summer and through the Fall semester and only averaged a 27 on FLs. Highest being a 32. It seems like verbal reasoning is just an innate weakness of mine. And this is why I am hesitant about the new exam. It is just a bigger VR test basically...

I would love any advice! I consider my MCAT score to be the weakest link of my application by far... I have a 3.92 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA, and a whole slew of interesting EC's and research that, I believe, make my story very interesting and unique!

Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to realize that the average matriculating MCAT score nationwide was a 31.

A 27 puts you at a serious disadvantage.

If you want to pursue an MD, you almost have to retake, but you are a solid candidate for D.O.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I think I still might want to try my luck at in state schools before I go DO. I'm just not passionate about the DO philosophy.
I'm a Georgia resident. Strong ties to MCG, Mercer, and Emory

Do you guys believe the MCAT is beatable? Is the verbal a skill that can really be improved? Because I practiced hundreds of passages with various techniques and never saw a score over a 10.
I really just feel like I gave every drop of energy into beating the old mcat and it seems that my best is inadequate. :/

27 = retake if you want the MD. if not then, not too terrible.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys believe the MCAT is beatable? Is the verbal a skill that can really be improved? Because I practiced hundreds of passages with various techniques and never saw a score over a 10.
I really just feel like I gave every drop of energy into beating the old mcat and it seems that my best is inadequate. :/
The science passages are just memorizing the concepts/formulas and doing crap tons of practice. You probably won't have an issue with that.

The verbal is a little tricky. It's hard to improve by simply doing zillions of practice passages. You have to fine tune your approach and then do zillions of practice passages.

I found the examkrackers book on how to do verbal pretty helpful but their practice passages are horrible. TPR hyperlearning workbook or whatever very closely mimics the MCAT and I found it very useful for practice. And of course the AAMC verbal is just like the real thing.

So, my advice. Read the Examkrackers book on how to "read for the main ideas" and then do AAMC/TPR for practice.

Yall are so blunt with yalls decisions. Lol. I've seen plenty of friends get in with <30 MCATs.
I think I'll still give it a shot. I have a super unique story and if I can score an interview I'm sure they'll find me a great applicant!
I'm determined to be an outlier. I'm so passionate and ready to start my medical training I don't want to take a gap year.
I'll reply to this thread with my turn out after this cycle. Hoping to WOW you guys!

Reactions: 1 user
The science passages are just memorizing the concepts/formulas and doing crap tons of practice. You probably won't have an issue with that.

The verbal is a little tricky. It's hard to improve by simply doing zillions of practice passages. You have to fine tune your approach and then do zillions of practice passages.

I found the examkrackers book on how to do verbal pretty helpful but their practice passages are horrible. TPR hyperlearning workbook or whatever very closely mimics the MCAT and I found it very useful for practice. And of course the AAMC verbal is just like the real thing.

So, my advice. Read the Examkrackers book on how to "read for the main ideas" and then do AAMC/TPR for practice.

You think your advice still applies to the new mcat? Even with the psych and soci?

Yall are so blunt with yalls decisions. Lol. I've seen plenty of friends get in with <30 MCATs.
I think I'll still give it a shot. I have a super unique story and if I can score an interview I'm sure they'll find me a great applicant!
I'm determined to be an outlier. I'm so passionate and ready to start my medical training I don't want to take a gap year.
I'll reply to this thread with my turn out after this cycle. Hoping to WOW you guys!

You do have a chance and the fact that you have a high GPA and a balanced MCAT score helps. I would say that you have a 30-40% chance of being accepted to a MD school next cycle.

Here's how you can maximize your chances of receiving interview invites:

1. Apply to a lot of schools that have similar median GPA and MCAT scores to yours. Apply to all your state schools, Drexel, Jefferson,Creighton etc. If you can do some community service work with African American populations in the next 6 months then you can apply to all the HBCUS too. I suggest you apply to at least 15 schools, preferably 20.

2. Apply early. Submit your AMCAS in early June and submit all your secondary applications by the end of July. This is very important.

3. Make sure your letters of recommendation are strong. Ask your recommender in the beginning if they're willing to write a strong letter, if not, ask someone else.

4. Continue to do community service and clinical experience related work during the application cycle so you have something to write about in your update letters.

5. Write a very strong concise striking personal statement and make sure your secondary essays/responses are striking too. Have several people review them.

I would recommend that you apply to 4-5 DO schools too just to be on the safe side.

With that GPA and a 27 MCAT, you have about a 58% chance of being accepted somewhere (according to the sticky in the WAMC sub-forum) assuming you're white.

I, too, scored a 27 (9/9/9) on my first MCAT, but I was also regularly scoring 32's with a 34 here and there. I decided to retake and scored a 31 (12/9/10). I went from a 58% chance (3.90+ GPA as well) to an 83% chance when only looking at GPA and MCAT. To me it was worth it.

Here are a few things to consider. The first is this: You got lucky. A two point jump in verbal is rare, let me stress that, RARE, when you are not scoring in the 9+ range consistently. I averaged 11's in verbal before both of my actual dates and as you can see, under performed both times. The second is the simple fact that you could score the same cumulative with a different breakdown that is less favorable: Ex) 27 (10/7/10). Really, this is worse, because a 7 verbal is killer for MD schools. But the third thing is, hey, you could increase! It's always possible. Verbal takes a lot of time to improve though. My first practice test I ever took I got a 10, got it up to averaging 11's, and then it turned out to not matter. It's a variable section due to an individual's interest as well as focus on test day.

If you feel that you have truly exemplary EC's that set you apart (and I mean actually set you apart), then go for it. Just remember, almost every candidate has virtually identical extracurricular activities, but if you can bring something to the table that no one else can, that will make up for the MCAT a little bit.

Search MSAR for lower-tier MD schools that have accepted 27's in their 10th percentile. And apply to IS public schools and hope for the best.

With that GPA and a 27 MCAT, you have about a 58% chance of being accepted somewhere (according to the sticky in the WAMC sub-forum) assuming you're white.

I, too, scored a 27 (9/9/9) on my first MCAT, but I was also regularly scoring 32's with a 34 here and there. I decided to retake and scored a 31 (12/9/10). I went from a 58% chance (3.90+ GPA as well) to an 83% chance when only looking at GPA and MCAT. To me it was worth it.

Here are a few things to consider. The first is this: You got lucky. A two point jump in verbal is rare, let me stress that, RARE, when you are not scoring in the 9+ range consistently. I averaged 11's in verbal before both of my actual dates and as you can see, under performed both times. The second is the simple fact that you could score the same cumulative with a different breakdown that is less favorable: Ex) 27 (10/7/10). Really, this is worse, because a 7 verbal is killer for MD schools. But the third thing is, hey, you could increase! It's always possible. Verbal takes a lot of time to improve though. My first practice test I ever took I got a 10, got it up to averaging 11's, and then it turned out to not matter. It's a variable section due to an individual's interest as well as focus on test day.

If you feel that you have truly exemplary EC's that set you apart (and I mean actually set you apart), then go for it. Just remember, almost every candidate has virtually identical extracurricular activities, but if you can bring something to the table that no one else can, that will make up for the MCAT a little bit.

Search MSAR for lower-tier MD schools that have accepted 27's in their 10th percentile. And apply to IS public schools and hope for the best.

58% chance! Even better for you OP.

OP, I recommend you don't retake the MCAT. Focus on your ECs, follow the advice that I and others have given on this thread. Try to do some work with underserved African American populations so you can apply to all the HBCUs too.

One thing I'd like to mention... Sometimes SDN is a bit (lot) neurotic. Sure, a 27 isn't a great score, but it is a usable score, especially when balanced. I am by no way saying people should always chill with a 27, but for every person the situation is different (aka 3.92 cGPA).

Having said that, I am actually disappointed in my score of 31 and actually did consider retaking again (my mode for practice tests was a 34 through 17 tests). So yes, I am a neurotic SDNer. Damn it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I might not be the best example but I was also in your shoes at one point. I also scored a 27 on my actual exam, despite scoring around 31-34 on practice exams. I was terrified of applying and felt uncertain about what would happen during my application cycle. I applied to 36 schools and received 18 interview invites (several from top 20 schools). I was accepted at all schools that I interviewed with the exception of one waitlist. Make sure you have a stellar application to make up for your red flag (activities, publications, LOR's, etc). Apply broadly and don't underestimate your application as a whole.

Reactions: 7 users
I might not be the best example but I was also in your shoes at one point. I also scored a 27 on my actual exam, despite scoring around 31-34 on practice exams. I was terrified of applying and felt uncertain about what would happen during my application cycle. I applied to 36 schools and received 18 interview invites (several from top 20 schools). I was accepted at all schools that I interviewed with the exception of one waitlist. Make sure you have a stellar application to make up for your red flag (activities, publications, LOR's, etc). Apply broadly and don't underestimate your application as a whole.

Thank you so much for your reply, HCHopeful.

First off, I totally agree with you. I know I got extremely lucky landing my 9 in verbal... well actually I kinda knew I killed (my pref of killing) verbal when I walked out of the test. I was so hyper focussed on exam day that I flew through verbal with fluidly reading the passages. It was great! Do I think I could get a 9 again if I could retake? Maybe... but I definitely wouldn't count on it. Like I said, verbal was historically my weakest link while completing all FL's. What still bothers me is the 9's in PS & BS. I never scored below 10's on the practice tests and I thought I did relatively well on my real exam!!! My predicted breakdown post-exam was a 10/9/11 ... generous, I know, but I could've swore I rocked that BS. Whatever, what's done is done and I gave it all I had.

Secondly, I do feel that I have exemplary EC's that set me apart. I do not believe that my EC's are the same as the typical applicants (lots of shadowing, research, and volunteering, a leadership role etc.). Although I do have those, I have other unique work and philanthropy experience. For research, I have one 3rd author publication and a poster presentation... at a top 20 medical school (if that helps any). My own original research is something I am very passionate about and want to build upon in med school.

Ultimately, even a 30 would make me feel leagues more confident. Congratulations on jumping up to a 31 yourself! I really never thought I'd have to pray and squeeze myself into medical school, as I've been working my tail off since freshman year. I had a really stellar application going for me and this MCAT put me in the dirt... but it is what it is... a very humbling experience. I would now be ecstatic to even get in this cycle and am very thankful for the opportunities given to me thus far. I know without a doubt medicine is my calling and I will do whatever it takes to get in! Even if that means getting totally rejected this year and having to retake and reapply next cycle.

Thanks again for your input!

I'm a Georgia resident. Strong ties to MCG, Mercer, and Emory

Scores will most likely be too low for Emory regardless of any ties you have (don't wanna say never, but a 27 is pretty damn low compared to Emory's average of 34.5). That being said, you're not completely out of the running for mcg. You should be fine at mercer IF you fit their mission statement, and that's a big if...they're very particular about their mission statement (I interviewed on the first day this past year and I doubt they will accept me because I don't really see myself practicing family medicine in rural Georgia).

All considered though, that's a pretty small list of schools if you're not gonna consider DO. Like others have said, your MCAT isn't ideal for MD schools. Not saying it's impossible, but improbable. I had a friend who was in the same situation (26 MCAT, went to GT with me, from rural Georgia) and our pre health advisor ended up telling her that her best shot was Mercer early decision, which ended up working out for her and she loves it! Granted she lined up with the mission perfectly and I don't know what your goals in medicine are, but it is technically doable.

I went from a 29 (10/9/10) to a 34 (11/12/11) on my retake with a 3 point increase in verbal - PM me if you want to hear what I did differently.

A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools. It's fine for DO schools, except AZCOM.

You might have a chance at:

Frank Netter
Loma Linda
New York Medical College
Albany
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Commonwealth
MCG
Mercer.

Hey folks, I got the scores back for my Jan. 13th MCAT last week and was somewhat surprised to get a 27 (9/9/9). The 27 is not what surprised me, as this was my AAMC average, but the 9 in PS & BS is what I'm scratching my head about. I never scored below a 10 in the sciences with the practice tests. Conversely, I rarely scored a 9 in verbal... averaged a 7.5 here.

Anywho, I am curious if y'all would recommend me taking the new exam in June or July and still apply this upcoming cycle? The main reason I am so hesitant to do this is because I GAVE EVERYTHING into studying for the MCAT. I spent 500+ hours studying all last summer and through the Fall semester and only averaged a 27 on FLs. Highest being a 32. It seems like verbal reasoning is just an innate weakness of mine. And this is why I am hesitant about the new exam. It is just a bigger VR test basically...

I would love any advice! I consider my MCAT score to be the weakest link of my application by far... I have a 3.92 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA, and a whole slew of interesting EC's and research that, I believe, make my story very interesting and unique!

Thanks y'all!

Thank you so much for your reply, HCHopeful.

First off, I totally agree with you. I know I got extremely lucky landing my 9 in verbal... well actually I kinda knew I killed (my pref of killing) verbal when I walked out of the test. I was so hyper focussed on exam day that I flew through verbal with fluidly reading the passages. It was great! Do I think I could get a 9 again if I could retake? Maybe... but I definitely wouldn't count on it. Like I said, verbal was historically my weakest link while completing all FL's. What still bothers me is the 9's in PS & BS. I never scored below 10's on the practice tests and I thought I did relatively well on my real exam!!! My predicted breakdown post-exam was a 10/9/11 ... generous, I know, but I could've swore I rocked that BS. Whatever, what's done is done and I gave it all I had.

Secondly, I do feel that I have exemplary EC's that set me apart. I do not believe that my EC's are the same as the typical applicants (lots of shadowing, research, and volunteering, a leadership role etc.). Although I do have those, I have other unique work and philanthropy experience. For research, I have one 3rd author publication and a poster presentation... at a top 20 medical school (if that helps any). My own original research is something I am very passionate about and want to build upon in med school.

Ultimately, even a 30 would make me feel leagues more confident. Congratulations on jumping up to a 31 yourself! I really never thought I'd have to pray and squeeze myself into medical school, as I've been working my tail off since freshman year. I had a really stellar application going for me and this MCAT put me in the dirt... but it is what it is... a very humbling experience. I would now be ecstatic to even get in this cycle and am very thankful for the opportunities given to me thus far. I know without a doubt medicine is my calling and I will do whatever it takes to get in! Even if that means getting totally rejected this year and having to retake and reapply next cycle.

Thanks again for your input!
No offense but those ec's sound like the definition of cookie-cutter. You should have a solid shot at do schools. Might be better off trying that than attempting the new MCAT especially since you prepared so well for the last one.

Thanks y'all!

It's not a good score, and if you feel like you could get into the thirties with more studying, I would definitely retake it. That said, it's still very much possible to get in with your GPA and everything else. Someone posted earlier about their own experiences with that score and how with broad application, they got accepted at multiple places.

My stats were similar to yours, and with good/decent ECs, leadership, strong LORs, shadowing, I was able to interview at a couple places and get accepted MD.

Definitely apply broadly and well.

Last edited:
Wow what year was that and I'm guessing you used that 27 without retaking?

Agree-- Retake for MD or apply DO. GPA, MCAT, and LORs are the most important factors in determining who gets an interview! Also, buy the MSAR-- 27 is usually near the bottom 10% of accepted students for many med schools.

With that GPA I would bet you have a chance at some mid/low tier schools and private schools. If you are a URM even better. But retaking would open a lot of doors for you. Increasing verbal scores are possible if you strategize

If verbal is my weakest link shouldn't I not even attempt the new mcat? That CARS section would whoop my ass. I really got lucky with my 9

Dude, don't let SDN stress you. You'll get invited for an interview to most non-elite schools and you might even stand a fighting chance at a few elite especially if you make your personal statement mindblowing.

I'm a M2 at a state school and our class MCAT average was 27. My closest friend in the class had a 23.

Dude, don't let SDN stress you. You'll get invited for an interview to most non-elite schools and you might even stand a fighting chance at a few elite especially if you make your personal statement mindblowing.

I'm a M2 at a state school and our class MCAT average was 27. My closest friend in the class had a 23.

So great to hear some kind, encouraging words. Thanks man. I know I'm trying to pin the star from the bottom but it's definitely worth a shot! I believe.
I have zero intentions of taking a gap year.

Might I say, I thought my profile pic was cute but yours' is way cuter.

My dear friend, I still believe you have a chance with an early, broad, wide app. Choose the lesser of two evils to get behind between a possible gap year and a possible DO, but this shouldn't be your undoing. Ultimately, I'd advise applying DO too just because you seem to want to avoid a new MCAT and an extra year could create more problems. You shouldn't need it, but you'd still be a doctor, worst case scenario.

Hey Thoroughbred, I just wanted to share a bit of personal experience as I can relate.

Last year I got a 27 MCAT with a 7 verbal. Was averaging a 30-31, highest 32 (AAMC fl) with a 9-10 verbal. Studied for 3.5 months 9-6pm, was devastated when I got my score back, particularly as I poured my heart into studying so hard.

I retook 5 months later after my school's winter break. Studied by retaking all AAMCs and test prep materials. Obviously had inflated scores but it was good re-exposure. Skimmed the books and did FLs for about 1.5 months or so. Took it with the attitude that if I did worse, it would only be by a few points and I'd still be set for DO. Best case scenario go maybe low 30s like I had averaged. I got low to mid 30s on the real thing. I changed my test strategies and wasn't as nervous cause I didn't have as much to lose. It was a great decision, but I do credit a healthy mix of luck and preparation to what happened. I feel you should retake with the knowledge that your 27 is not the worst thing to ever happen. In fact you do have a low percentage chance at the lower tier MD schools.

PM me if you want, best of luck.

This year.

To be fair, you should state that you applied URM (based on what I remember from a previous post). It helps the OP see if your situation applies to him. Not here to start anything, just wanted to clarify.

See these links regarding statistical chances by GPA, Race, etc.
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/

With your current score you have a decent chance and you have a very good chance if you are URM.

Asians with a 27-29 and 3.8-4.0 had a 51.2% acceptance rate, Whites with a 27-29 and 3.8-4.00 had a 61.2 % acceptance rate, whereas Black or African American candidates had a 92.8% acceptance rate, Hispanic, Latino or Spanish Origin had 81.9% acceptance rate.
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

However, your research and "unique story" may win you points as well.

You could try to take a practice of the new MCAT, and go through with it if your %ile is significantly better than your previous MCAT. However, you may already have a good chance.

To be fair, you should state that you applied URM (based on what I remember from a previous post). It helps the OP see if your situation applies to him. Not here to start anything, just wanted to clarify.

True. But then again my good friend who is not URM (asian) applied with a 28 and got 14II ( 7 acceptances). Don't underestimate the power of a great application overall whether white, Asian , Puerto Rican, etc.

I'm on the same boat as you @Thoroughbred_Med. My average was a 27 and that's exactly what I got on the real thing. I postponed the test 3 times and absolutely worked my butt off for that score. English is my second language so I had a tough time increasing my VR score. On the real thing my VR score also jumped 2 points from a 7 to 9 (just like you). I took my MCAT in January as well. I met some people that work at the AAMC and they absolutely hate the advice people give on this forum. I told them about my MCAT situation and they made me feel very comfortable about applying this cycle. Just own your personal statement! We're in this together! Don't let this score define you. Your score is balanced, which is important, and I think you have a solid chance of getting accepted into MD and DO programs. I'm applying to 35-36 schools since I'm getting financial aid through AAMC. Maybe you can look into that if it applies to you. Head up and own it!

I'm on the same boat as you @Thoroughbred_Med. My average was a 27 and that's exactly what I got on the real thing. I postponed the test 3 times and absolutely worked my butt off for that score. English is my second language so I had a tough time increasing my VR score. On the real thing my VR score also jumped 2 points from a 7 to 9 (just like you). I took my MCAT in January as well. I met some people that work at the AAMC and they absolutely hate the advice people give on this forum. I told them about my MCAT situation and they made me feel very comfortable about applying this cycle. Just own your personal statement! We're in this together! Don't let this score define you. Your score is balanced, which is important, and I think you have a solid chance of getting accepted into MD and DO programs. I'm applying to 35-36 schools since I'm getting financial aid through AAMC. Maybe you can look into that if it applies to you. Head up and own it!

ARE WE TWINS???

Seriously, lets rock this cycle! I feel like a have a pretty stellar application besides this MCAT score.. and I'm not going to let it get me down any longer.

See you around on here in the school specific threads this summer!

I'm confused.. You feel lucky to have gotten a 9 on verbal when you were averaging a 7-8 (you said 7.5 so I'll split that up and down), and then on BS you were consistently scoring an 11. Looks to me like you're at a 27 no matter how you add. Addition is cumulative. A 9+11+7= 27, and so does 9+9+9. A retake could help you or it could hurt you. If you got a 27 without much effort, I would agree that a retake would be the best thing to do to better your admission chances. However, you studied 500+ hours, gave it your all, and still got a very balanced 27. I would apply broadly and smartly.

(I'm just a pre-med still, so take my advice with a grain of salt, I just thought I'd offer my thoughts)

I got a 26 and I'm definitely retaking. I signed up for a Kaplan course because I obviously couldn't get enough done with self studying. :sour:

Here's the thing: it's not like you were getting great scores and then screwed up horribly on test day. You scored your AAMC average, and furthermore, you poured your heart and soul into getting that score. It's going to be very hard to raise it above that.

However, all is not lost. You can get into a MD program with a 27, and you can definitely be a doctor with a 27 if you apply both MD and DO. Isn't that what it's all about- being a doctor- instead of getting into med school?

I'm confused.. You feel lucky to have gotten a 9 on verbal when you were averaging a 7-8 (you said 7.5 so I'll split that up and down), and then on BS you were consistently scoring an 11. Looks to me like you're at a 27 no matter how you add. Addition is cumulative. A 9+11+7= 27, and so does 9+9+9. A retake could help you or it could hurt you. If you got a 27 without much effort, I would agree that a retake would be the best thing to do to better your admission chances. However, you studied 500+ hours, gave it your all, and still got a very balanced 27. I would apply broadly and smartly.

(I'm just a pre-med still, so take my advice with a grain of salt, I just thought I'd offer my thoughts)

Here's the thing: it's not like you were getting great scores and then screwed up horribly on test day. You scored your AAMC average, and furthermore, you poured your heart and soul into getting that score. It's going to be very hard to raise it above that.

However, all is not lost. You can get into a MD program with a 27, and you can definitely be a doctor with a 27 if you apply both MD and DO. Isn't that what it's all about- being a doctor- instead of getting into med school?

Agree with both of y'all. The ultimate factor regarding my decision to not retake is the changing of the test. If the old format was going to continue to be administered I would reevaluate.