MD 27 MCAT, 3.89 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA- Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a re-applicant. I applied last summer before taking the MCAT and ended up taking it in August and bombing it (didn't even fill out my secondary apps).

I improved my gpa from a 2.99 to a 3.6 cumulative in the past 3 years.
In August I got a 21 (7/6/8), retook in January and improved to a 27 (10/8/9)

Applying early to every Texas MD school!

Quick Stats
Biology Tutoring- One semester
Work as an ER scribe- 4 months, 30hrs/week
Research- About a year and a half observing/assisting. 4 months of intensive work on my own
Hospital volunteering- 1 year
Boys and girls club volunteering- 10 months
Shadowing a family doc-40 hrs
Shadowing a cardiologist-50 hrs
Singer/songwriter/producer, heavily involved in the music industry for 7 years prior to choosing medicine
Hispanic and speaks a little spanish (enough to get around Mexico) but working hard on it this summer
Social Chair of my Fraternity
Co-Philanthropy chair of my fraternity- put together an annual event 2 years in a row that raised over $10,000 for charity
Enjoys long walks on the beach and has a passion for Chipotle.

Any input would greatly help!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

bump. Would love to hear feedback on where I stand!

Which Hispanic community do you represent? Not all are considered URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. Apply early (as in May). Make sure you have a DO letter to send to TCOM.

Spend a lot of time on the secondaries.
Some schools such as PLFSOM and TCOM put a lot of emphasis on them

Make sure you apply to the new schools as well!

I've seen people with higher stats get turned down and people with your stats get in, so spend a lot of time on the other aspects of your application! I wish you the best of luck!

Hi! I'm in Texas, too!

Definitely apply early as possible. Like the first day. Apply to all the schools in Texas...apparently it's only an extra $10 per school (that's what a friend told me, although I haven't applied yet so I don't know).

I'd spend a lot of time on Tech-Foster (the one in El-Paso). They are a new school and are more lenient with MCATs and Gpas. For example, I have a friend who got an interview to Tech with a 25 MCAT and high GPA (she ended up going DO) and another friend with a sub-par GPA and a good MCAT (32) who has just been accepted. I'm applying there, too.

If you're set on MD, you may have to apply out of state as well. You have a good shot at the DO school in Fort Worth.

Chances will be best in TX and with all DO schools except AZCOM.

Also consider:
Frank Netter
Loma Linda
New York Medical College
Albany
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Commonwealth

I'm a re-applicant. I applied last summer before taking the MCAT and ended up taking it in August and bombing it (didn't even fill out my secondary apps).

I improved my gpa from a 2.99 to a 3.6 cumulative in the past 3 years.
In August I got a 21 (7/6/8), retook in January and improved to a 27 (10/8/9)

Applying early to every Texas MD school!

Quick Stats
Biology Tutoring- One semester
Work as an ER scribe- 4 months, 30hrs/week
Research- About a year and a half observing/assisting. 4 months of intensive work on my own
Hospital volunteering- 1 year
Boys and girls club volunteering- 10 months
Shadowing a family doc-40 hrs
Shadowing a cardiologist-50 hrs
Singer/songwriter/producer, heavily involved in the music industry for 7 years prior to choosing medicine
Hispanic and speaks a little spanish (enough to get around Mexico) but working hard on it this summer
Social Chair of my Fraternity
Co-Philanthropy chair of my fraternity- put together an annual event 2 years in a row that raised over $10,000 for charity
Enjoys long walks on the beach and has a passion for Chipotle.

Any input would greatly help!! Thanks :)

OP @txlonghorn2314 I'm in a very similar situation to yours. I called one of the schools today and talked with the director of admissions for about half an hour. He looked at my previous application and said that the MCAT was the only thing that precluded me from getting an interview. My MCAT score, however, was not balanced (10,6,10), so that's mostly likely why I didn't get interviews but you should be just fine applying super early (probably the first five days of May).

Definitely apply to at least 15 DO schools also. As you already know from this past application cycle there is no guarantee of a MD admission and while you improved your MCAT to 27 the GPA-MCAT grid indicates a chance of acceptance to MD school of 50%.

Reactions: 1 user