27 MCAT & Boston University impossible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obliViate21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hello,

I would like some honest opinions on whether attending my dream school is possible. I am applying to less prestigious MD schools and some DO schools, but my dream school is Boston University. I know they have a high average (34?), but was wondering if anyone has heard of anyone that got around a 27 and got in. I am currently filling out my secondary. Any thoughts are appreciated..

MCAT 27: (8,9,10)
GPA: 3.75 cumulative, 3.83 science
LOR: Pretty good 3 professors, one MD doctor
PS: I've been told it is one of the best she has ever read by a professor

Members don't see this ad.

Hello hello,

I would like some honest opinions on whether attending my dream school is possible. I am applying to less prestigious MD schools and some DO schools, but my dream school is Boston University. I know they have a high average (34?), but was wondering if anyone has heard of anyone that got around a 27 and got in. I am currently filling out my secondary. Any thoughts are appreciated..

MCAT 27: (8,9,10)
GPA: 3.75 cumulative, 3.83 science
LOR: Pretty good 3 professors, one MD doctor
PS: I've been told it is one of the best she has ever read by a professor
Dude! You don't know the median at your "dream school" (35). The 10th% is 31. That means that maybe a couple of folks got in with somewhere near your MCAT score. They probably had some humdinger reasons that the school took this risk on them. Is that you? Even if not, a single non evidence based choice is ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude! You don't know the median at your "dream school" (35). The 10th% is 31. That means that maybe a couple of folks got in with somewhere near your MCAT score. They probably had some humdinger reasons that the school took this risk on them. Is that you? Even if not, a single non evidence based choice is ok.

You mean the top 10% is >35? Thanks for your input by the way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can never hurt to apply; I'm applied to several schools that are way out of my league. You never know!

Last edited:
You mean the 31 is the 90th percentile and the 10th percentile is >35? Thanks for your input by the way.
The acceptees at the very bottom of the class had a 31 MCAT. There were a little over a dozen who had a score less than 31. Maybe a couple had a score as low as 27. Half of the accepted students had a score of 35 or greater. Accepted students at the 90th % had a 39 or better. A stats class might be a good idea at this point...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
The applicants at the very bottom of the class had a 31 MCAT. There were a little over a dozen who had a score less than 31. Maybe a couple had a score as low as 27. Half of the accepted students had a score of 35 or greater. A stats class might be a good idea at this point...
Oh, I apologize. I thought you meant the top 10% instead of 10% of the class, which is why I didn't understand. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Oh, I apologize. I thought you meant tenth percentile instead of 10% of the class, which is why I didn't understand. Thank you for your input.
No need for apology. Now I'm worried about the rest of your list since it appears you didn't purchase the MSAR. Did you post it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dream schools too so I feel you on this but I'm from Boston and Boston Medical center (main BU hospital) Is a dump, possibly Boston's worst hospital, that being said, I know plenty of people who got into that school over the years (mostly URMs) with low scores, they claim to thrive on holistic review more than other schools, I think that's crap, with 15k + apps. Idk why they get that many it's probably cuz it has the word "Boston" In it , sorry for the rant but I know people who got in with low scores it's definitely possible but unlikely

Edit: if you can come up with a great reason that BU is amazing and you belonging no where else, you 100% deserve to go there! Give it your best!

Hmm, there is an African American student claimed to score 2 interviews this year at MD school with only 23 MCAT. But unless you are URM, then you really have to look at higher MCAT score (say 30+),

No need for apology. Now I'm worried about the rest of your list since it appears you didn't purchase the MSAR. Did you post it?
I did purchase MSAR. I'm from Illinois and my MD list includes:
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Southern Ill
Rosalind Franklin
Univ. Wisconsin Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana University

DO:
CCOM
AZCOM
PCOM
UNECOM
WVCOM
NYIT

I did purchase MSAR. I'm from Illinois and my MD list includes:
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Southern Ill
Rosalind Franklin
Univ. Wisconsin Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana University

DO:
CCOM
AZCOM
PCOM
UNECOM
WVCOM
NYIT
Your MCAT is right at or just above the 10th% for all your MD schools except Loyola (29), Rush (28) and the U of WI (28). That means you have a fair chance at an interview at 4 of them and a good chance at one (SIU) if you are from S IL. With the addition of the DO schools I would say that you have a good chance at acceptance this cycle.

Your MCAT is right at or just above the 10th% for all your MD schools except Loyola (29), Rush (28) and the U of WI (28). That means you have a fair chance at an interview at 4 of them and a good chance at one (SIU) if you are from S IL. With the addition of the DO schools I would say that you have a good chance at acceptance this cycle.
I truly hope so, thank you!

What my learned colleague is saying is that the effective and reasonable floor of BU for MCAT score is 31. A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools, but OK for most DO schools.

I concur with the idea of taking Biostats.

The acceptees at the very bottom of the class had a 31 MCAT. There were a little over a dozen who had a score less than 31. Maybe a couple had a score as low as 27. Half of the accepted students had a score of 35 or greater. Accepted students at the 90th % had a 39 or better. A stats class might be a good idea at this point...

What my learned colleague is saying is that the effective and reasonable floor of BU for MCAT score is 31. A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools, but OK for most DO schools.

I concur with the idea of taking Biostats.
I have in fact taken stats and merely misread what was posted. Thanks for your input.

Okey dokey. You might give Quinnipiac a try, as well as the other new MD schools (except VaTech and Hofstra).

UNECOM has a regional bias. Replace it with MUCOM. Also consider any other COM, you're fine for them.

Other MD schools to consider would be VCU, EVMS and Penn State.

I have in fact taken stats and merely misread what was posted. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
does anyone know the 10th percentile mcat for rush, and what % oos they admit? I'm considering adding them, but lent my msar to a friend thinking my list was done!

does anyone know the 10th percentile mcat for rush, and what % oos they admit? I'm considering adding them, but lent my msar to a friend thinking my list was done!
10th% is 28. OOS% is good but I don't recall....