MD & DO 27 MCAT, sGPA 3.13, cGPA 3.34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jt21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

New member here but have been lurking for some time. Applying this cycle (DO and MD) and am looking for input on my application.

The basics:
New York State resident, non-URM
2012 grad of Stony Brook University, BS in Biology
Undergraduate TA, Deans List, decent LOR x3

The numbers:
MCAT: 24 (VR 8, PS 8, BS 8) and 27 (VR 9, PS 11, BS 7)
3.13 sGPA and 3.34 cGPA with very strong upward trend. I nearly dropped out after my first semester due to family crisis.

Experiences:
Medical scribe, Feb 2013 to present, 3200+ hours
Current Chief Scribe for an urban hospital system in Upstate NY, 115,ooo+ visits per yeah
Worked primarily in the ED but have experience in Pulm/CC (ICU), outpatient cardiology, and as part of an admissions team working with hospitalists.

I have applied to 33 programs this cycle. I like my DO chances but am looking for input on my MD choices. Since I consider myself sort of between long shot and borderline maybe for MD, are there any other schools where a guy like me has a decent chance?

MD programs:
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Downstate
Upstate
U of Rochester
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
EVMS
NEOMED
Temple

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

NEOMED doesn't even take out of state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
NEOMED doesn't even take out of state applicants.

Hey they took 1 OOS last cycle! In all honesty I didn't realize that until immediately after I paid for the app. My bad on that one.

You could add Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis. Your chance for MD acceptance is approximately 20% on the MCAT-GPA grid so apply to a lot of DO schools (at least 10).

You could add Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis. Your chance for MD acceptance is approximately 20% on the MCAT-GPA grid so apply to a lot of DO schools (at least 10).

Thanks so much for your input! I did look at that figure as well. I will look into those schools. I applied to 20 DO programs and would be happy for a chance to be a student at any one of them!

Bump/update - still open to any suggestions =)

Added the following schools:
Oakland University Beaumont
St. Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Jefferson

Thanks!

Bump/update - still open to any suggestions =)

Added the following schools:
Oakland University Beaumont
St. Louis University
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Jefferson

Thanks!
I don't think you have much of a chance for MD without an MCAT retake (33+), and even then it would be iffy. I would focus on DO.

You have a 7 in the bio section with low GPAs. You need to change your expectations completely. Your applications should be focusing on the lower tier DO schools with 3-4 mid-tiers as reaches.

Reactions: 1 user