27MCAT & 3.67c- Decent shot of getting accepted somewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sakura17

Medical student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably not going to get verified until late Sept.

This right here is a terrible combination with your weak MCAT scores. You being a borderline applicant for MD programs was probably based on applying earlier rather than later in the cycle. Just being real with you. Like you said, you might be fine for DO, but while you don't have a zero chance at MD, I wouldn't bet on it. By the way, what state are you a resident of? You might have better luck with your state school. Not to be completely negative though, you have really really good ECs so you never know, a school may really like what they see and take a chance.

As far as anything you can do now to increase your chances this cycle, there isn't much beyond choosing your school-list wisely and maybe doing something valuable this upcoming year to send updates about?

Good luck.

The avg of all three scores will hurt you badly at our school; our Dean would waitlist you even if the AdCom says "accept". Even a 27 by itself is not stellar for most MD schools. Suggest you stick with only the low-tier MD schools like Rosy Franklin and NYMC, and the newer DO schools.

Ok, Hi!

I was just wondering on what are my chances in getting into MD or DO school. I guess I'm a non-trad applicant. This would be my 4th year since graduating undergraduate college.

Biggest flaw is 3x MCAT taker. Highest score= 27M. The other 2 are 22 & 20 (went down the second time and am ready to explain myself at interviews & if I get them...). However, 22 & 20 MCAT scores are expired, so I guess that's a bit better even though they are still on my record. Other stats on me are the following:

• Graduated with a BA in 3 majors, 2 minors from a private university
  • Working on master thesis for MPH degree & will be finished May 2013
  • Undergraduate 3.67c, 3.5s & MPH 4.0gpa
  • 6 years of scientific research as research assistant for 3 different labs--->worked full time for a year in a lab
  • 1 publication
  • presented at several regional conferences & campus conferences
  • currently involved in clinical research project--->co-investigator
  • shadowing ~85hours
  • volunteer at hospital for 2 years
  • volunteer as health educator for 0.5 year and continuing
  • Have received community service recognition & awards in college
  • co-president for a club for 2 years
  • treasurer for residential complex for 1 year
  • RA for 3 years
  • eldest child of immigrant family so many responsibilities & I believe I grew up economically disadvantaged
  • has been working since 14---> always worked in college and supported self in college through working multiple jobs
  • went a short term aboard trip comparing the healthcare system of a 3rd world country with the US
  • great recommendation letters from MD mentor, PhD PI, and non-science professor
This is the second time I'm applying but I only applied to a few schools last year.

I feel I'll get into a DO school, but borderline with MD schools. I applied this cycle in mid-August.. Not yet verified so wondering if my hunch about my credentials on target or am I delusional because my MCAT retakes are going to do me in for MD schools...

So far, 15 MD schools and 3 DO schools. Probably not going to get verified until late Sept.

So what do you think? What should I do to increase my chances even though I'm applying now....

And do you have any suggestions on low-tier MD schools? I mainly applied to my state schools and private schools with low MCAT. Would probably going to add more MD schools to make it 20 but haven't decided on where yet.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for checking out this thread and giving me some advice. :-D And please be kind, I know I'm not the most competitive applicant.