27N, 3.45cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, lots of clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neworleans8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident: IL
cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.55
Really upset about my MCAT, not sure what happened. (10PS, 9VR, 8BS)
Double major in psych and theatre

Attended a pretty highly ranked undergrad on almost full merit scholarship ($18,000/yr)

I am half egyptian, born and raised in abu dhabi, UAE (lived there for 10 years) not sure if that matters???

Hoping I can compensate a little with my clinical experience:
3 years working full-time in a state psychiatric ward with children and adolescents; held a leadership position on the unit; high stress, lots of patient contact (i.e. running therapy groups, physical restraints etc.)

Started a psychodrama group at hospital I worked at
Some psych related certifications

Decent volunteer hours in New Orleans post Katrina (about 300 hours); help rebuild homes, gutted houses etc.
Volunteered at childrens hospital for 6 months
Very little research experience

I was depressed about my MCAT score for a while, but decided to go ahead and apply early instead of retaking. Prefer MD but will throw in some DO applications.

UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind and Franklin
Tulane
NYMC
Drexel
Medical College of Wisconsin

Not sure what other MD schools worth applying too???

ANY help would be REALLY appreciated!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are like my twin sister, I have nearly the same app as you except my GPA is higher and my MCAT is lower. I also work in a children's psych ward. I would say that UIC is your greatest hope since its our state's public school. The rest might be harder, but you have some chance. Worst case scenario, try to get a 30, do some shadowing of non psychiatry physicians(not sure you did this during hospital volunteering), and try again next cycle. Your GPA is slightly low, but acceptable.