28 MCAT, 3.5 sGPA - chances for MD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genomalkin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Looking for some advice on my chances of getting into MD schools this cycle. I'm also applying DO but I think I should be ok for that. Stats are:

3.45 sGPA from undergrad (strong, strong upwards trend)
3.61 sGPA from UPenn post bac

28 MCAT (9 PS, 9 BS, and 10 VR) (meh....I got suppperrrr nervous on test day and let it get the best of me. ugh.)

300+ clinical volunteering hours, tons of non-clinical volunteering, two years of leadership, research experience (academic and clinical), a lot of ECs that were constant throughout college, great LORs, etc.

So I guess I have two questions:
1. Chances of getting in?
2. Should I retake the MCAT? I know it's too late to rely on a better MCAT score, of course, but if I told schools I was retaking it, would they like "put my application to the side" and wait to see how I did and then reconsider my for an interview (someone told me that yesterday, idk how plausible that is...).

Anyways, thanks everyone in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Chances will be best with your state schools (if any) and the lowest of the low tier MD schools. Suggest re-taking MCAT to get over the 30 mark.

You are, as you surmise, fine for any DO program, inlcuding mine.

Hello!

Looking for some advice on my chances of getting into MD schools this cycle. I'm also applying DO but I think I should be ok for that. Stats are:

3.45 sGPA from undergrad (strong, strong upwards trend)
3.61 sGPA from UPenn post bac

28 MCAT (9 PS, 9 BS, and 10 VR) (meh....I got suppperrrr nervous on test day and let it get the best of me. ugh.)

300+ clinical volunteering hours, tons of non-clinical volunteering, two years of leadership, research experience (academic and clinical), a lot of ECs that were constant throughout college, great LORs, etc.

So I guess I have two questions:
1. Chances of getting in?
2. Should I retake the MCAT? I know it's too late to rely on a better MCAT score, of course, but if I told schools I was retaking it, would they like "put my application to the side" and wait to see how I did and then reconsider my for an interview (someone told me that yesterday, idk how plausible that is...).

Anyways, thanks everyone in advance!