MD & DO 28 MCAT, 3.7cGPA Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukasz337

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I received my MCAT score today and I can't say I'm too thrilled with it. Here's my situation:

• 28 MCAT (10/8/10) I was averaging 31 until a week before the exam when I began to fluctuate ridiculously.
  • 3.68 cGPA, 3.47sGPA
Some background:
  • Bio Major
  • Anthro Minor and Sculpture Minor (yes I know these are irrelevant for the most part)
  • 50 hours volunteering at a hospital + observing surgeries
  • 50 hours shadowing DO
  • Leadership position in my fraternity for a year (member for 3+)
  • Held two jobs during the school year and one during the summer
As far as applying, I am looking primarily into DO schools, I applied to some MDs (SUNYs because I am from NY and some low-tiers just to give it a shot). My main concern is whether or not I have a competitive chance at DO schools. I know a 28 isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

Here is my DO list:

• CCOM
  • VCOM
  • LECOM
  • NSUCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • OUHCOM
  • PCOM
  • Rowan
  • Touro
  • Western U
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

I received my MCAT score today and I can't say I'm too thrilled with it. Here's my situation:

• 28 MCAT (10/8/10) I was averaging 31 until a week before the exam when I began to fluctuate ridiculously.
  • 3.68 cGPA, 3.47sGPA
Some background:
  • Bio Major
  • Anthro Minor and Sculpture Minor (yes I know these are irrelevant for the most part)
  • 50 hours volunteering at a hospital + observing surgeries
  • 50 hours shadowing DO
  • Leadership position in my fraternity for a year (member for 3+)
  • Held two jobs during the school year and one during the summer
As far as applying, I am looking primarily into DO schools, I applied to some MDs (SUNYs because I am from NY and some low-tiers just to give it a shot). My main concern is whether or not I have a competitive chance at DO schools. I know a 28 isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.

Here is my DO list:

• CCOM
  • VCOM
  • LECOM
  • NSUCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • OUHCOM
  • PCOM
  • Rowan
  • Touro
  • Western U
Thanks in advance
Chances excellent. Would replace OU-HCOM (too regional) with Marian.

For MD however, your EC's look thin and a 28/3.47 is low. I would only try your state schools.

Thanks user3, it's a relief to hear that. I know that DOs are becoming more and more competitive each year and I was worried