Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

28 on AAMC 3 MCAT Am I in trouble?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by hyupark, 01.21.12.

1. hyupark

hyupark

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am taking the MCAT on March 24, 2012. I just took my first practice AAMC test #3 and scored 28 (10PS, 9V, 9BS). I really want a score of at least 32. Is this possible for me?

I already studied all the content and took this.

What else can I do to improve my score? I feel like I only have 2 months left and I am in big trouble!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!
  2. CodeRedDew

CodeRedDew Thirst Quencher

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Of course you can! Actively review your mistakes on the exam and review the areas in which you believe are cloudy. Don't be discouraged by your practice exam scores, they are for learning. The more mistakes you make in practice, the less you will make on the actual exam.

I also scored relatively low on AAMC #3 (29) when I first took it about a month ago. Now I'm scoring over 34+ on all of the later exams (AAMC 9+). So don't be discouraged, a 32+ is definitely doable in 2 months time.
  3. hyupark

hyupark

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do you know a good way to go about it?
    Should I just do more practice problems? Go over content?
    Both?

I also heard that AAMC #3 was the easiest out of all the exams...
  4. mcloaf

mcloaf SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    2 months is plenty of time to bring your score up by that much. I don't know what to tell you in terms of how to review content since you haven't elaborated much on what you've done thus far. What are your weak points? What are your strengths?

I can say that watching the physics videos at wikipremed has been an integral part of building my understanding of the conceptual approach the MCAT takes to physics. I can't recommend these enough if you're a little weak on the physics, they got me getting 14 on the PS, which is pretty great for just watching some videos. That being said, I wouldn't recommend spending time on the GChem, OChem, or Bio parts of the site, as I think those sections are better attacked through lots of practice and some memorization.

Also, I know in my case my scores improved noticeably between the first several practice tests as I was getting my bearings, getting used to the questions, keeping calm, etc. And different MCATs are scored to account for difficulty, so I wouldn't worry about whether or not #3 is supposed to be the easiest (besides, I thought 7,8, and 9 were easier [haven't taken 10 or 11 yet]).
  5. hyupark

hyupark

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks! So far my greatest weakness is definitely in physics and ochem. I have reviewed content from the examkrackers.
    I will definitely try out those videos for physics.

Any suggestions for gen Chem, ochem, and bio?
  6. mcloaf

mcloaf SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OChem is a tricky one in that it comes very easily to some people, and is very difficult for others. I think this is because doing it well involves some skills that are inherently easier for some (pattern recognition, abstract spatial thinking). That being said, I believe with a little practice that everyone should be able to get through MCAT level OChem without too much difficulty. The hardest part of undergrad OChem is learning the detailed mechanisms for different reactions like Bayer-Villager, which you will NEVER have to do on the MCAT. Nearly all reactions in MCAT OChem are just variations on a few themes and so can be understood if you have a strong understanding of the fundamental rules for chemical reactivity. I would recommend making sure you really know the basics (electronegativity, induction, resonance/aromaticity) forward and backwards, as combining these with a bit of memorization (a few reagents for different reactions like Grignards, etc.) will get you through almost any reaction you'll see. The other aspects of OChem (stereochemistry, structure elucidation) just need to be practiced/memorized. Make sure you go through all of the questions you've missed and see how reactivity is dictated by these basic rules. I know that probably sounds like another lame platitude about how OChem is all patterns, but really, once you're able to see molecules and reactions like this everything falls into place and reactions make much more sense even if you haven't seen them before.

As for GenChem, that seems to me to need a combination of memorization and practice. Be sure to understand all of the important concepts (free energy, rate laws, ideal gas law, etc. etc.), and then spend some time to be sure that any calculations on the exam you will know how to do: cell potential, Hess' law, pH + buffers, etc.

And Bio, well, as far as I can tell that's just brute force memorization. I used EK for bio as well, and if you know everything in EK bio you'll be prepared for 99% of MCAT bio. The only thing lacking from EK is more in depth anatomy, but I've yet to be convinced that taking the time to learn that material is worth the effort, as the knowledge is need for a very very small number of MCAT questions. And this is coming from someone with absolutely no anatomy/physiology knowledge from undergrad.
  7. vandymouse

vandymouse

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I scored a 7/8/7 on AAMC-3 prior to any studying. Needless to say I panicked a little. Three weeks later I took the AAMC-7 (still no studying) and scored a 6/12/8. I am registered for an April MCAT. I was wondering what everyone's impressions are about realistic expectations on the real deal. I have two months to go and have been studying for the past month pretty much 6 days a week for 2-4 hours a day. I'm wondering when I should take my next FL and if people can see a jump from a 7/8/7 to a 10/10/10 in two months...?
  8. kimicurtis

kimicurtis

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That is actually a pretty good to start from. I am very certain that with prep you can score in the top percentile. Cheer up!
  9. flodhi1

flodhi1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It is easy to jump on the Sciences but fairly hard to on the VR. It seems like you're doing pretty well with the VR section though. In 2 months I went from a 5 on the PS to a 12 on the real deal and a 6 on BS to a 10 on real deal but 12 on practice exams. My VR went up a little from 6 on VR to an 8-9 on practice exams but bombed it on the real deal. Either way you should easily be able to obtain over 10s in each section. The key for me was to master the material and then practice/review like a mad man. I scored a little below my practice average but that happens mostly due to the nerves.
  10. flodhi1

flodhi1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    With a lot of practice you will easily hit the 30s don't be worried that's a great start!
  11. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This :thumbup:
  12. JohnSnow

JohnSnow

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't sweat it. I got a 22 on AAMC 3 (that's the free one, right?) just a couple of weeks before I took the real thing. It was my first full-length timed exam. Then I jumped 10 points on subsequent tests. So don't worry!
  13. qtsjoe

qtsjoe

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you guys are my support group, i just pulled a 22 on aamc3 too and going over my test right now and realizing how many errors I made due to focus issues due to the long nature of the test. I feel if I would have practiced more endurance I would have done a lot better.
  14. JohnSnow

JohnSnow

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I couldn't agree more. Endurance is definitely a big component of the MCAT. I think of it a lot like a marathon, you need to build up mental stamina for it.

I think taking practice exams in the weeks leading up to the exam helped me nail my timing.
  15. deep122

deep122

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I also got a 28 on AAMC3, but my score jumped once I fixed my focus problems. It was the first time I had done a full length verbal section. Absolutely killed me (got a 6 in VR on AAMC3).
  16. Jlaw

Jlaw

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    One word of caution, AAMC3 is significantly easier than subsequent tests, but if that is your first time taking a full length you should expect to improve at least 5 points just from getting your timing down, getting comfortable with the format, and eliminating some of the careless errors.
  17. you2tambien

you2tambien

Pre-Medical
    I scored a 25 on my diagnostic, then a 31 on AAMC3 but by the end of hte AAMCs I was getting 35-36. Just don't let it get to you, keep trying! It's all mental, just tell yourself you're going to try to do better next time. If you let one bad test get to you, then it will impact the later ones. Shrug it off.
  18. AFLATPEG

AFLATPEG

THIS:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    great words of encouragement:thumbup:

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal