28Q MCAT 3.55CGPA ~3.7sGPA retake MCAT or apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hobomonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinions on a retake question.

As the title says I scored a 28Q on the 04/28/12 MCAT and have a 3.55CGPA and ~3.7SGPA

As far as EC's go I have worked two jobs throughout college and paid for ~75% of my OOS tuition. One job as an environmental geologist assistant for 4 years, summer employment 40hr/wk. My more recent job is working as a certified pharmacy tech for the past two years and I still currently work, both during the semester and summer ~20hr/wk.

Most Sundays I also serve as co-coordinator for a group that packages and distributes lunches to the homeless downtown.

I have shadowed ENT clinic, Hospitalist, ICU, Endoscopy, ED, Radiology, Cath lab, Operating room, and Respiratory care.

In addition I have traveled to Nicaragua, Panama, and Jamaica on med relief trips and am going to Haiti in Dec. Along with some less notable ECs

The question I have is my AMCAS application is already submitted and verified and was wondering if it would be worth it to retake the MCAT July 26th or to just stick with the early application. I averaged about a 33 on the practice MCATs. (unfortunately I didn't seem to be as lucky on the real one)

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Three questions:
1. What was the split on your mcat?
2. What state are you applying from?
3. What schools (MD DO)?

8PS 10VR 10BS
I'm an undergrad in North Carolina but am a resident of Virginia.
MD

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you say you already submitted your AMCAS? Eek. How was your personal statement? That's the kicker. You'll get secondary apps, but admissions boards look at the personal statement again and again. Every person in the evaluation process reads it.

On your secondary apps you need to convince the admissions reps that you want to be a doctor. From the stats you show here it seems you want to be a geologist--you did a lot of travelling and worked as one for all those years. You have to flip those experiences into something meaningful--like the work helped you further understand some science principles, and travelling opened your heart.

So why do you want to be a doctor?

I worked as an environmental geologist because I'm paying for my undergraduate education and he paid well. Secondly, I love science, it was a bonus that it was science related, I got vast exposure to many different fields working there. Everything from radiation clean up to groundwater and sound studies.

In addition, I worked on my personal statement for over a year. All who read the final draft claimed it was excellent and I'm extremely happy with it, so I'm not too concerned about the PS to be honest (so I hope lol). The main thing that bothers me is my MCAT score (obviously on the low end). I'm already scheduled to take it July 26th. But like I said, I can't decide it it's worth postponing my app until late August waiting on the score results.

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question, but can't you submit your application with the pending MCAT score? I'm in a similar situation (disappointing MCAT but otherwise good application), and my pre-med advisor said I can submit my application in June with a re-take scheduled for July. She said they'll most likely set aside the application and wait for your new score to come in. I know it's not much different than just waiting to submit the whole thing, but it seems like a better option to me.

Also, do you get test anxiety? What was the reason for the low MCAT with respect to your AAMC practice exams?