29 mcat, 6 vr, and 3.92 gpa - what are my chances and where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysbehappy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I have taken the mcat twice - last year - got 23 - PS 8, VR5, BS 10
I retook the mcat again this year - 29 - PS 10, VR 6, BS 13.
Between the first and second mcat, I studied every VR passage known - examkrackers, princeton, kaplan, amcas practice, etc., had many hours of tutoring just for VR, and was shocked I only improved by 1 point. Yes, English is my first language - I just I never once finished the whole VR section in the time given.
I'm hesitant taking the mcat a 3rd time because I don't want to risk lower science scores and i feel really burned out from the mcat.
My science gpa - 3.96, and nonscience - 3.92
I'm completing my amcas app as well the app for DO schools. What schools do you think I have a shot at actually getting into and should apply to? Are there any MD schools that will even consider me as an applicant? I would rather go to MD than DO. Any advice would be helpful :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to get some help with that VR... find a new tutor who can help you find out what's going wrong, and then re-take the MCAT. There's no reason (other than that MCAT) that you shouldn't be at a great MD school. You obviously worked really hard for that GPA... so why throw away all of that hard work because you're doing poorly on one section of one exam?!

Don't get me wrong... I have no issue with DO schools. I'm at one. But I was in a very different situation -- and one harder to come back from -- an awful GPA and a great MCAT. So, again, my advice is to fix that MCAT and not limit your options.

However, you may have some luck at lower tier and in-state MD schools if they accept subscores of 6. You'd be fine at many DO schools (all assuming your ECs are competitive), but I think there may be some that have subscore cutoffs of 7. There are also some schools that only look at your composite score, so do a search and you'll find more information abut that. A 29 isn't bad... it's just that 5/6 that is a bit concerning.

Last edited:
What were you scoring on your VR practice sections? Did you do passages timed? Did you do whole verbal sections at a time and did you run out of time on those? Anyways I agree that perhaps it might be a good idea to retake the MCAT especially if you feel confident after prepping for verbal and doing well on the sections. Good luck, and I'm sure you can do it with a great GPA like yours:)
As for schools, I'd say that with your MCAT and GPA you have a good shot at DO schools esp. NYCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget the MD schools. The VR is well below the 10th %ile for them.

I'm completing my amcas app as well the app for DO schools. What schools do you think I have a shot at actually getting into and should apply to? Are there any MD schools that will even consider me as an applicant? I would rather go to MD than DO. Any advice would be helpful :happy:[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Forget the MD schools. The VR is well below the 10th %ile for them.

I'm completing my amcas app as well the app for DO schools. What schools do you think I have a shot at actually getting into and should apply to? Are there any MD schools that will even consider me as an applicant? I would rather go to MD than DO. Any advice would be helpful :happy:
[/QUOTE]

Well, I still applied to MD in addition to DO.
Results so far - 1 acceptance to DO school - so yay I'm gonna be a doctor!
Despite my vr 6, I still got 2 MD II - so yes its possible.... Now my fingers are crossed as I'm waiting to hear back from those schools...

Can you share which MD schools gave the IIs? Feel free to PM me; this will help me better advise people in the future.

Despite my vr 6, I still got 2 MD II - so yes its possible.... Now my fingers are crossed as I'm waiting to hear back from those schools...[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the acceptance. You may want to get tested for learning disabilities before you matriculate: dyslexia is a common and insidious problem that can hold you back. It is very treatable.

Despite my vr 6, I still got 2 MD II - so yes its possible.... Now my fingers are crossed as I'm waiting to hear back from those schools...[/QUOTE]

Were the MD schools in the US

Despite my vr 6, I still got 2 MD II - so yes its possible.... Now my fingers are crossed as I'm waiting to hear back from those schools...

Were the MD schools in the US[/QUOTE]
I applied to a handful of MD schools in the US ( lower tier schools and some instate schools) and Sackler which is in Israel. At the end of the day, I got II from NYMC and Sackler.