2nd Away vs AI? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alejandro

Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently an MS3, thinking a little bit about how I want to schedule next year.
May: Probably will take a study month for step2-didn't do as hot on step 1, so will need to take early and rock it
June: Home EM rotation
July: Away
August: Away
Sept/October: Neuro/Psych (I know, kinda weird this late, but that's how it panned out on the lottery-will it really matter though?)
November/Dec/Jan: Interview season?

Given no other problems above, my school requires an AI in medicine/surg/peds/fammed/obgyn in addition to my home EM rotation. I can do my AI in the MICU, which would be relevant for EM, but my question is do you think it's worth replacing an away for the MICU AI during the away season, like in July or August? Or just do the AI in Jan/Feb/March?

Part of the reason why I want to do two aways is because I go to a school in the midwest, but want to match towards either coast. Originally from the west coast, but willing to go east coast too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter that much. 2 EM rotations is plenty. 3 is probably overkill (and expensive). If I were your advisor, I'd recommend a Sub-I in floor IM and an ICU month.

I personally think three rotations might be good for you given the low step score and wanting to match on a coast. I would do one away on the west coast and one on the east coast. I'd then do the micu AI in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also do the two away rotations early...work hard, get strong letters to counteract your step 1, and really impress two places who could be your top places going into interview season. The AI won't matter as much since it won't be in EM.

By the way, I am saying this as someone who did three rotations total but unfortunately my aways were later...just finishing up my second now. Having those away SLOEs in early makes a huge difference. And when you get to your third (which I would recommend trying to do at your top place), you look like a pro bc you've been doing it for 2 months already...it helps, trust me.