2nd Bachelors to raise GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunypot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering what peoples opinions are on working on a 2nd bachelors degree to raise your GPA for vet school. I graduated in 05 with somewhat low GPA, I've applied to vet school and it seems that I am not getting an interview this year. So, I am wondering if I went back and started work on another degree, and was able to raise my GPA, would the ad com see that as having more weight than my first degree or not? I am having a hard time thinking of ways to raise my GPA...any ideas would be appreciated. By the way, UC Davis (where I would be going) does not offer post-bac programs. Also, my pre-reqs will still be low from the first degree? Any ideas on how to improve would be appreciated! I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest that you call some of the vet schools you have applied to and/or are interested in and discussing how to strengthen your application. They may suggest a masters over a 2nd bachelors...

My personal opinion is that if you have a decent (maybe >3.1-3.3) you should do a one year "special" masters, as opposed to a post-bacc or 2nd bacc. If your GPA is much lower than a 3.1ish, I'd def do more undergraduate work...rather than a masters, or in addition to a masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
as someone with a 2nd bachelor's i can give you the scoop- go do more undergrad work, not master's work. some schools don't count masters work the same way. you will have to work hard and take a LOT more classes than you normally would have to offset the weight of your already accumulated GPA. I had to take a straight year of undergrad all hard sci courses and get As in all to bring mine up just a smidge. if you want another DEGREE, then get another degree that will help you. if not, just take more hard sci (sci GPA) courses and that will help you the most.

I agree about checking with the school for their suggestions ... FWIW, I remember reading in the FAQs that Davis won't let you repeat core science courses if you got a C- or better in them.

The admissions counselor I spoke with after my rejection last year told me that going back to school for another Bachelors to raise my GPA was my only option for getting into vet school.

I just couldn't bear getting another degree and spending all that money when the degree I wanted most was the DVM. So instead, I took one undergrad course a semester just to show I could make A's if I tried, and varied my experience big time. Research, small animal, exotic animals, volunteering at various places. I made sure I left an AWESOME impression on everyone I worked with, scored excellent letters of recommendation, and this year I was admitted!

Moral of the story, yes it is one way of raising your GPA, and some schools would recommend it, but there are other ways!