2nd Time Applying This Cycle - GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Americano12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The big issue with my application for the 2012 cycle was my low GPA. I only have one last class requirement for my degree and am planning to take that this fall. I'm done with all of my science requirements, but in your guys' opinion, is the best way to boost the cum and bcpm GPA by continuing to take upper division science courses (400-level)? At my university, seniors have the option of taking 500-level courses also. What's the best way to go about this/which level to take or does it really matter as long as I do well in them? Thanks so much in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't take 500 level if its masters level. It will really suck.

Protect your gpa

I would ask other students who have taken the courses before how fair the grading is. My school has an electronic database of course evals which I have found useful sometimes, with student comments. Just because a course is upper-level doesn't necessarily mean it's difficult, surprisingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take more up lvl courses. I probably will do the same.
Upper level courses aren't hard but do require a lot of bases to build on,,like knowledge from general bio and so on.
I think overall, biological sciences aren't really that hard like some of physical sciences..you just need to be disciplined and willing to use your brain to memorize.

What is your "low" GPA/ in what range is it?

If its financially viable, enroll in a 1 year graduate program in biomedical sciences somewhere. Your graduate GPA will (so I've heard,but correct me if I'm wrong) be weighted heavier than your undergrad GPA, especially since the material will be much closer to actual medical school material than anything else you've been exposed to.

cj8

If its financially viable, enroll in a 1 year graduate program in biomedical sciences somewhere. Your graduate GPA will (so I've heard,but correct me if I'm wrong) be weighted heavier than your undergrad GPA, especially since the material will be much closer to actual medical school material than anything else you've been exposed to.

cj8

Check out the VCU application thread this year. The adcom seemed really focused on the UGPA and did not care that much about the SMP. I get the feeling raising your Undergrad GPA is just as good if not better for admissions and your wallet than a SMP.

Some private schools like Jefferson don't favour graduate gpa. However doing SMP will be more advantageous than traditional masters.

If you want to be really ambitious, you can take more undergrad courses then end with a SMP in BMS.

SMP also lets you take medical courses, I have taken medical physio, but be warned the contents are much harder than your traditional upper lvl courses.

The graduate programs I was referring to, sorry for the lack of clarification by the way, are ones specifically geared toward premeds. I'm actually entering one in Sept. and the classes are all taught by med school professors on med school topics. The anatomy class uses cadavers instead of pigs or whatever else people use in anatomy classes. And, there is a year long research component to beef up that aspect of the application. The program also has an accelerated admissions aspect where if you get a certain GPA, they allow you to interview in late spring for seats they have set aside for people in the program. The program is part of the medical school, so there is a lot of access to further clinical experience and research as well as other volunteer experience.

And VCU can't be too concerned with cGPA or uGPA because I made their initial screen with a 3.2cGPA....unless they're not screening anymore.

cj8