3.0 cgpa, ~2.6 sgpa..Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slc4599

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started college, I felt really sure that I wanted to go to medical school and that I had what it takes to get there. I obtained a chemistry degree with a minor in hispanic studies, took all of the pre-reqs, participated in lots of extracurricular activities that I was passionate about, shadowed MD's and DO's, ect. But my final undergrad gpa is not that of a successful medical school applicant.

For a little background, I started off doing pretty well in my classes. At the end of my freshman year, my cgpa was around 3.7. I did pretty decent my sophomore year also, finishing the year with a 3.5. A's and B's in most of my pre-req classes. But my gpa took a serious turn for the worst my junior year. One of the problems was that I hated my chemistry classes. I took some biology courses like anatomy and microbiology for elective classes, and I easily made A's in them. I really enjoyed learning about those subjects and found it very easy to study for them. But it was always a constant struggle for me to stay motivated and focused in my chemistry classes because I just could not have cared less about the subject matter. I also realize that it was really stupid that I majored in chemistry considering that I felt this way. If I could go back, I would have majored in anything else (preferably biology or Hispanic studies, both of which really interest me), and likely had a much better gpa. But I started off as a chemistry major because I knew that I had to take several chemistry courses for medical school anyway. By the time that I realized I made a huge mistake in choosing that major, it was too late to change to switch to another major without delaying my graduation. Looking back, it would have been more than worth it, but I had a lot of pressure on me to graduate on time and I just made the stupid decision to stick with it. I also realize I should have pushed through and just done what it takes to succeed. Unfortunately, this is a lesson I learned the hard way, looking back.

So I started making some C's in my upper-level chemistry courses, which brought my gpa down some. Then during my senior year, when my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, I just let my gpa slip completely. I made my first D's and even an F my first semester of my senior year. And honestly I was just too depressed and frustrated in life to even care. I retook the F (in inorganic chemistry) the next semester and made a C (which I know is pretty bad). I ended up graduating with a 3.0 cgpa and about a 2.6 sgpa.

Seeing as there was no way I was getting into medical school with that gpa, I started exploring other options post-graduation. I felt like I needed to allow myself time to think about life and refocus on my goals, but I didn't know what the next step was. My chemistry advisor asked if I had ever considered teaching science and recommended the Master of Arts in Teaching program at my university. I applied, got a scholarship covering the full cost of attendance, and that's where I'm at now. I do like teaching - I volunteered as a teacher assistant at a bilingual program and as a tutor throughout much of undergrad. But it doesn't fulfill me. And it's just made me want to go to medical school even more.

I have a 4.0 in the MAT program, and one semester and a summer session left after the current one. Would it look horrible if I discontinued the program next semester, re-enrolled as a second degree undergrad studying biology, and started pursing medical school once again? Is it even possible/realistic to redeem myself with such a poor gpa? I know that I want to be a physician and I'm committed to rededicating my life to that goal. I'm just afraid that I went too far down a wrong path, and I have no idea what the next step is to get there. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. And thank you for reading all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible. Not easy, but certainly possible. You need to research DO and grade replacement. Unfortunately, your masters GPA will not offset, nor replace your undergrad GPA. Repeat all C/D/F coursework until both of your GPAs are above 3.0. This is most likely 1-1.5 years of solid undergrad work. And for the sake of making it easier, download the GPA sheet (it can be found somewhere here on SDN).

Good luck, and know that it will not be a short road to success.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will definitely start looking into grade replacement and DO schools.

Do you feel like medical schools would look poorly upon me withdrawing from my graduate program at the end of this semester so that I can begin taking undergrad classes next semester to improve my gpa? I feel like I'm losing valuable time obtaining a graduate degree I don't want to use, but I don't want medical schools to view me as a quitter for dropping out either. What's the right move here?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

It's possible. Not easy, but certainly possible. You need to research DO and grade replacement. Unfortunately, your masters GPA will not offset, nor replace your undergrad GPA. Repeat all C/D/F coursework until both of your GPAs are above 3.0. This is most likely 1-1.5 years of solid undergrad work. And for the sake of making it easier, download the GPA sheet (it can be found somewhere here on SDN).

Good luck, and know that it will not be a short road to success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I just think it shows a change in focus. Not necessarily bad, just a shift in intentions. However, I'm sure others (Goro) can weigh in on the view AdComs might have of that.

Yes, but you have some serious GPA repair to do.

Nope. Not everyone comes to the thing they love. A second degree is not necessary, a post-bac or SMP can do the same thing of preparing you for MCAT and showing AdComs you can handle medical school.

I have a 4.0 in the MAT program, and one semester and a summer session left after the current one. Would it look horrible if I discontinued the program next semester, re-enrolled as a second degree undergrad studying biology, and started pursing medical school once again?

Yes, and I have students who have succesffuly reinvented themselves after a poor start. Keep in mind that for DO programs, retaking any F./D/C coursework counts only the higher grades, and does wonders for GPA. See the non-trad forum especially. SDN is a vaulable resource If somewhat overly anxious and neurotic at times, but hey, everybody has foibles.

Is it even possible/realistic to redeem myself with such a poor gpa? I know that I want to be a physician and I'm committed to rededicating my life to that goal. I'm just afraid that I went too far down a wrong path, and I have no idea what the next step is to get there. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. And thank you for reading all of this.[/quote]

I appreciate you both taking the time to reply to my questions. It's really awesome that there are people that take time out of their day to help strangers just because.

I'm quite interested in your suggestion of doing a SMP, and I plan on looking into that option. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, but you have some serious GPA repair to do.

Nope. Not everyone comes to the thing they love. A second degree is not necessary, a post-bac or SMP can do the same thing of preparing you for MCAT and showing AdComs you can handle medical school.

I have a 4.0 in the MAT program, and one semester and a summer session left after the current one. Would it look horrible if I discontinued the program next semester, re-enrolled as a second degree undergrad studying biology, and started pursing medical school once again?

Yes, and I have students who have succesffuly reinvented themselves after a poor start. Keep in mind that for DO programs, retaking any F./D/C coursework counts only the higher grades, and does wonders for GPA. See the non-trad forum especially. SDN is a vaulable resource If somewhat overly anxious and neurotic at times, but hey, everybody has foibles.

Is it even possible/realistic to redeem myself with such a poor gpa? I know that I want to be a physician and I'm committed to rededicating my life to that goal. I'm just afraid that I went too far down a wrong path, and I have no idea what the next step is to get there. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. And thank you for reading all of this.
[/quote]

In essence, an SMP is a Special Masters Program. You will take med school classes in what amounts to be an audition for med schools. Some will have linkages (if you score this or that, you get interview/auto-acceptance). If MD is what you aim for, you will need to raise your sGPA and then do an SMP to make yourself remotely competitive. However, if DO is your goal, you can do an informal DIY post-bacc to raise your grades.

Head over to the post-bacc sub forum for a more detailed explanation of what was mentioned. Good Luck.