MD & DO 3.0 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justintime44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently planning on starting a master's program in biological sciences in January which will allow me to retake the undergraduate courses I received a C in while I am taking my graduate courses.

I plan to apply to all of the Texas MD schools as well as D.O. schools out of state for a Fall 2018 start. My cGPA for MD schools should be 3.3 and 3.6 for D.O. schools. I am taking the MCAT in August of 2016, and I know I need to get a very high score.

What are my chances with my retakes, improved gpa, and master's degree? There is only one official SMP in Texas, and I would rather not go that route at the moment. Will this be enough, or do you think I need an official SMP or post-bacc?

I have countless hours of work as an ER scribe and ER tech. I have many volunteer hours with Habitat for Humanity, Aids Foundation, and several others. I have worked as a full-time research assistant for 2 years and will continue to work part time for the next 2 years with plans to have at least 1 first author publication by the time I apply as well as at least 2 middle author publications.

Please advise!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine for DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500 and you apply broadly. For Texas MD schools you would probably need a MCAT of 510.