3.0 GPA overall 2.5 BCPM (upcoming junior)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msrxchef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've taken pretty much all my prereqs for premed/prepharm.
My GPA really sucks. I'm an upcoming junior.
Why my GPA sucks:
I felt unmotivated, and had no sense of self-esteem, was really immature(probably spent a good 2 semesters partying every weekend)
I didn't know how to pick myself back up from failing (i didn't ask questions about the material i learned I didn't apply myself or mentally challenge myself).
I also took 1 semester off due to surgery for an ovarian cyst (i'm a girl!)
I didn't correct my mistakes after I made them, wasn't adapting to my situation well enough I just kept faltering mainly because I thought I was dead set on pharmacy school (I was in a program where I only had to keep a min GPA) until I started working in pharmacy settings (retail and hospital) and really couldn't see myself doing pharmacy any more.
I also believe I was a bit burned out when I entered college. I started out strong with a 3.7, but that included my first B in gen chem and I faltered and everything went downhill from then. Now that I'm a junior I feel it would only be logical to stay in a health care profession and just keep persevering.

But do I stand a chance? My GPA is now below the min for me to keep my pharmacy seat but I don't see myself working in pharmacy.
I just want to get into a medical school. I don't care where or if they are ranked very well. I know I have a LOT of work cut out for me. For myself and for my future career goals.

BE BRUTAL!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why my GPA sucks:
I felt unmotivated, and had no sense of self-esteem, was really immature(probably spent a good 2 semesters partying every weekend)
I didn't know how to pick myself back up from failing (i didn't ask questions about the material i learned I didn't apply myself or mentally challenge myself).
I didn't correct my mistakes after I made them, wasn't adapting to my situation well enough I just kept faltering mainly because I thought I was dead set on pharmacy school (I was in a program where I only had to keep a min GPA) until I started working in pharmacy settings (retail and hospital) and really couldn't see myself doing pharmacy any more.
I also believe I was a bit burned out when I entered college. I started out strong with a 3.7, but that included my first B in gen chem and I faltered and everything went downhill from then. Now that I'm a junior I feel it would only be logical to stay in a health care profession and just keep persevering.

But do I stand a chance? My GPA is now below the min for me to keep my pharmacy seat but I don't see myself working in pharmacy.
I just want to get into a medical school. I don't care where or if they are ranked very well. I know I have a LOT of work cut out for me. For myself and for my future career goals.

BE BRUTAL!!!!

You still have a lot of time to turn things around. However, to have enough time to show the turnaround and fix your GPA, you'll almost certainly have to take a gap year (or two).

But there's no reason you can't eventually get to medical school. You just have to buckle down to the long road ahead.

0 chance right now; you're going to need to do some serious grade repair by essentially aceing everything from now on.

Re-take every F/D/C science grade and keep in mind that AACOMAS grade replacement policy does wonders for the GPA.

If you're not interested in DO, then an SMP or a serious post-bac will probably be in order.

Suggest some counseling as it seems you have some issues to work through; your school should have both a counseling and a learning/education center.

Why my GPA sucks:

BE BRUTAL!!!!