3.0 GPA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriorinthemaking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post here, so to start off I'd like to hope that you all had/are having a great day . Unforunately, my first year and a half at college was very rough, and even more unfortunately, it showed in my grades. I used to be a computer science major (honors) and I was always good at toughing through the work, but I just didn't care enough about the material and things fell through. It wasn't until spring of sophomore year I looked into going into medicine, and I found that the material and field really clicked with me. Anyway, here are my stats, but I'll be the first one to say that they are quite unimpressive as they stand now:

3.0~ GPA
2.9 BCPM
MCAT - not taken yet
Volunteer Hours - 250+ hospital hours. TA experience in both Biology 2 and Anatomy&Physiology

I plan on adding shadowing a doctor, more volunteer hours, research, two more years worth of classes (a good handful of which will be added to BCPM, as I haven't taken physics yet, or orgo & the lab), service in Honduras, and I'm looking to see how I can take more leadership roles.

Going to be a senior next semester but I'm staying an extra year (so I've got two years left). The last year is where I spend all of my classes in the campus hospital as a health science major (Stony Brook U).

I realize that trying to go to med school, at least the regular way, is quite a bit of a stretch. I don't have as much under my belt as most people. I'm not going to make excuses for myself, but I am going to say that I really want to do this and truly believe that if given the chance, I can make it. I was formerly considering being a P.A. But I want to know what are my chances? Perhaps it is too early to say - of course, an MCAT score would help a lot. However, I am also strongly considering Caribbean Schools, SMP, or anything else, really, to get to where I want to be.

I've gotten an F in Calculus 3 (thanks for that comp sci major) and am looking to see if I can retake it. C+ in Chem 1 was my worst grade in sciences. A-'s or above in all Bio and its lab courses. Even took Mammalian Physiology and got an A-.

I guess I'm not only asking "what are my chances," but in addition to that, "what do you think about my situation?"/"what advice would you give me?"

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same position as you except my GPA is lower than yours. When are you taking your MCAT? I would advise you to take the MCAT now before they change it for next year.

I am taking mine this week.

I was in a similar boat like you (Planning on applying next June, taking the MCAT in 3 months), and I'll chime in a bit.

First, I'd look into applying to DO schools (I'm sure you've heard about the grade replacement), unless you're really set on MD, which I would do an SMP.
I'd probably schedule to take the MCAT before Feb 2014 as well, to avoid the new one, assuming you have all your prereqs done.

It's been reiterated time and time again around this forum, that you should definitely not go to a Caribbean school unless it's your final option and nothing else has worked, so I'd advise against that.

I would retake that Calc 3 sadly, that F is a killer. I'd also retake anything you have less than a C- (I assume you have a couple cause your GPA and BCPM is still pretty low with the A-'s you have in your sciences.) if you're going the DO route, if you're set on the MD I would not retake and rather work on continuing to get good grades in upper div science classes.

Your EC's are a little weak I feel, but you seem to have a good idea on what you need to improve on, so your plan seems solid there.

I'm saying this not to discourage you, but to put it bluntly, because I feel if someone told me bluntly, I would have went with a different plan than trying to stay a 5th year (which is what I did; I had a 3.35/3.15sgpa when I finished). But I think your chances at allopathic schools straight out of undergrad are very low. Which is why I'd say look into going the DO/SMP route. I'm not saying it's impossible, if you get straight A's for the next two years and a 40+ on the MCAT or something, but the GPA is going to hinder you.

That said however, don't give up! If being a doctor is something you really really want to do, then I feel this bump will not stop you. As I said look into the DO route and try to pull your GPA to a 3.4/3.3+with retakes and more science classes, do the EC's you mentioned (be passionate about them!), and get a 30+ on the MCAT and I feel you have a really solid shot at DO schools. My situation isn't quite the same as yours, as I bombed my 4th year instead of my first 1.5; and I regretted taking a 5th year.

If you're truly set on the MD route, I'd actually say to try to graduate your 4th year; and take a SMP in the time you'd take your "5th" year instead. I feel that where you are now, if you do a 5th year at Stonybrook it wouldn't really matter enough for your GPA. But acing a year at a well known SMP can look much more favorably on your application than your upward trend at your undergrad.

See what other advice people can give, take mine with a grain of salt. I wish you the most of luck (I know what it feels like to be discouraged too), and work hard and I know you'll make it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
99.999% of people will strongly urge you to not go Caribbean

DO schools are still within your reach at your GPA. But you will need to retake anything science related lower than a B-. Then once you're done with that, if you're still not pleased with your GPA, retake non-science anything lower than a B-.

Hello Everyone,
I am aware you are all stating not to go to Caribbean schools, however I was hoping someone had some knowledge on other schools in the Caribbean that aren't as accredited or prestigious. I have recently been accepted into St. James School of medicine, have applied to American University of Antigua (AUA) and just heard back from Medical University of the Americas (MUA) that they accept me into their two semester pre-med program and if I complete it with a 3.0 will then be accepted into the MD program. Has anyone come into contact with these schools and know anything on their competitiveness in terms of USMLE scores and gaining U.S residencies? Any advice would be helpful.

I believe im in the worst boat of all of you. I have a dub 2.5 GPA, have yet to take the mcat (will in October) however my internship was at RI hospital where I worked with orthopedic surgeons that taught Brown University medical students along side me and I currently work as a phlebotomist/Cytologist for a urology practice so my field work is very competitive. I ruined my gpa duruing the second and first half of my third semesters and things have been down hill since. I still strongly desire to be a doctor however and have recently been accepted into a Caribbean medical school. Do any of you know of a way to revive my gpa and still have a shot at getting in U.S. med schools?

I believe im in the worst boat of all of you. I have a dub 2.5 GPA, have yet to take the mcat (will in October) however my internship was at RI hospital where I worked with orthopedic surgeons that taught Brown University medical students along side me and I currently work as a phlebotomist/Cytologist for a urology practice so my field work is very competitive. I ruined my gpa duruing the second and first half of my third semesters and things have been down hill since. I still strongly desire to be a doctor however and have recently been accepted into a Caribbean medical school. Do any of you know of a way to revive my gpa and still have a shot at getting in U.S. med schools?

So you tanked in the last year+ of classes you've taken? What makes you think you're prepared for medical school?

Do a post-bacc and retake all the classes you got a C or lower in.

Reactions: 1 users
So you tanked in the last year+ of classes you've taken? What makes you think you're prepared for medical school?

Do a post-bacc and retake all the classes you got a C or lower in.

I feel its impossible to judge one's preparedness for medical school, however it is a goal ive had for years. I tanked my third year out of five years, and I was young and stupidly battling a long term relationship gone sour while in classes ( my ex took the same courses as I did). How do I go about a post-bac program, can I do it through my undergrad school?

I feel its impossible to judge one's preparedness for medical school, however it is a goal ive had for years. I tanked my third year out of five years, and I was young and stupidly battling a long term relationship gone sour while in classes ( my ex took the same courses as I did). How do I go about a post-bac program, can I do it through my undergrad school?
impossible to judge preparedness for medical school? so you think the schools should just accept anyone who says "no really... i'm ready!!!"? if you can't do well in undergrad science courses (regardless of reason unless it's something like close family death, medical issues, etc... which are all easily explained and would probably result in I's for incompletes or even W's instead of F's and D's), you're going to be in a rude awakening. i'm not so sure there is a way you will be able to come back from a 2.5 and make it into a US MD school unless you get an incredible MCAT score and do an SMP and nail a 4.0.

now, with grade replacement, DO is a potentially viable option for you... but i think you need to do some serious soul searching and figure out if this truly is the right path for you. and just because I take vocal lessons from the same person that beyoncé takes her's from doesn't make me a good singer (to the comment about your internship being w/ Brown educators)

I truly don't mean to sound tough.. but this is a serious commitment, and thus far you've shown us that you've got a lot to work on... (we all do to a certain extent)

Last edited:
Well instead of comparing me to brown students and your vocal cords to Beyoncé... How exactly do I go about completing an SMP or any other similar options?

Hello Everyone,
I am aware you are all stating not to go to Caribbean schools, however I was hoping someone had some knowledge on other schools in the Caribbean that aren't as accredited or prestigious. I have recently been accepted into St. James School of medicine, have applied to American University of Antigua (AUA) and just heard back from Medical University of the Americas (MUA) that they accept me into their two semester pre-med program and if I complete it with a 3.0 will then be accepted into the MD program. Has anyone come into contact with these schools and know anything on their competitiveness in terms of USMLE scores and gaining U.S residencies? Any advice would be helpful.

I think the big 4 in the Caribbean are Ross, Saba, SGU, and AUC. Those are the ones that have been there longer. Everything else I'd be a bit more skeptical about (though I'd be skeptical about all of them). For example, I think St James doesn't even require an MCAT score to apply... that should be kind of a red flag I feel. And yes there are always those that succeed, but are you willing to bank 200k or whatever the cost is of going there; to end up with potentially no job when you finish? I would go the tried and proven route before going to the Caribbean, and if I bomb that last chance... I have a co-researcher that was accepted to one of the big 4, that offered their "pre-med" program as well, and if he finished with above a 3.3 or something, he'd have guaranteed acceptance. However; the loans for that program were all private ones; with incredible interests, and I think it was like 30k or something... So we both felt it was kind of their school trying to get as much money as they can from desperate students.

I think the big 4 in the Caribbean are Ross, Saba, SGU, and AUC. Those are the ones that have been there longer. Everything else I'd be a bit more skeptical about (though I'd be skeptical about all of them). For example, I think St James doesn't even require an MCAT score to apply... that should be kind of a red flag I feel. And yes there are always those that succeed, but are you willing to bank 200k or whatever the cost is of going there; to end up with potentially no job when you finish? I would go the tried and proven route before going to the Caribbean, and if I bomb that last chance... I have a co-researcher that was accepted to one of the big 4, that offered their "pre-med" program as well, and if he finished with above a 3.3 or something, he'd have guaranteed acceptance. However; the loans for that program were all private ones; with incredible interests, and I think it was like 30k or something... So we both felt it was kind of their school trying to get as much money as they can from desperate students.

Well I have done some extensive research on these schools and they have broken every so called "accredited" Caribbean school down into tiers. St. James school of medicine is one of the many who are tier four and I have already declined that option. However American University of Antigua (AUA) is a tier two school which means it is very close to the Big 4 in every category and is accepted by the medical board of California and New York. So this is why I am confused as to why people would say its close to impossible to acquire residency from this school if the two largest medical boards accept graduates from here to practice in their states.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have done some extensive research on these schools and they have broken every so called "accredited" Caribbean school down into tiers. St. James school of medicine is one of the many who are tier four and I have already declined that option. However American University of Antigua (AUA) is a tier two school which means it is very close to the Big 4 in every category and is accepted by the medical board of California and New York. So this is why I am confused as to why people would say its close to impossible to acquire residency from this school if the two largest medical boards accept graduates from here to practice in their states.

You should definitely consider applying to Ross as well, they have rolling admissions for matriculation in fall, winter, and spring so don't worry about being too late. I know I might make a few people angry by saying this but Ross is a pretty good option for you. People with 2.5 GPAs have gotten in because they showed that they really want this through their ECs and personal essays. Ross currently has a 100% match rate and their USMLE scores are on par with the average american medical school. I say this at risk of sounding like an advertisement but they really aren't as dubious as you might think, they are technically an american medical school, with your last two years of clinicals in Florida. You only spend three semesters in the caribbean. I wish you the best of luck!

You should definitely consider applying to Ross as well, they have rolling admissions for matriculation in fall, winter, and spring so don't worry about being too late. I know I might make a few people angry by saying this but Ross is a pretty good option for you. People with 2.5 GPAs have gotten in because they showed that they really want this through their ECs and personal essays. Ross currently has a 100% match rate and their USMLE scores are on par with the average american medical school. I say this at risk of sounding like an advertisement but they really aren't as dubious as you might think, they are technically an american medical school, with your last two years of clinicals in Florida. You only spend three semesters in the caribbean. I wish you the best of luck!

I was going to apply there however I have yet to take the MCAT (In October) so I assumed I would immediately get overlooked. Are you a student there? What makes you choose that school over any of others. Also I have received an interview for AUA so I feel rather optimistic towards being accepted.

I was going to apply there however I have yet to take the MCAT (In October) so I assumed I would immediately get overlooked. Are you a student there? What makes you choose that school over any of others. Also I have received an interview for AUA so I feel rather optimistic towards being accepted.

I'm not a student there however it is my backup plan! I'm still premed and I take my MCAT on Friday. If you wanted to apply in January when you have your MCAT I think that's when they take applications again. I'm not quite sure as I haven't looked into application details yet (I don't apply until next summer). I have seen a few of their online seminars and have gone in person to an information session. I liked them because I felt like they cared, made an effort for you to fit in and be the best doctor you can be. They also have great professors, new technology, and a very hands on and integrative anatomy lab. But like I said, i'm not a student here so obviously I can't give you all the information you need so you'll have to check out their website. A lot of this can be said for schools in the states of course but I think you have a higher chance of getting into Ross or AUA. Congrats on the interview!

About half of Caribbean grads have been able to match into something in the last few years, but many of them were one year surgery prelim positions that lead nowhere because program directors prefer american grads. Unless there is a dramatic increase in GME funding, the ever larger numbers of MD and DO students are predicted to push out all but a few American IMG's and all but the most stellar non-US IMG's.

The Medical board issue is moot if you can't get a residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of applying to the Big 4 as well, and I might end up doing so anyways just to cover more ground and see what happens; do people feel as strongly about the big 4 as they do other Caribbean schools? It sure seems that way, or that they seem to be slightly better but even then only qualify as sort of a last resort sort of thing and that any other Caribbean schools are out of question. Also, while I appreciate all the Caribbean school talk and everything, does anyone have anything to add regarding my situation?

Last edited:
I was thinking of applying to the Big 4 as well, and I might end up doing so anyways just to cover more ground and see what happens; do people feel as strongly about the big 4 as they do other Caribbean schools? It sure seems that way, or that they seem to be slightly better but even then only qualify as sort of a last resort sort of thing and that any other Caribbean schools are out of question. Also, while I appreciate all the Caribbean school talk and everything, does anyone have anything to add regarding my situation?
All the non-LCME accredited MD schools are a last resort. Dead last.
Re-take the classes in which you got a C or less using AACOMAS grade replacement until you get to about 3.2+ and score better than 25 on the MCAT. Apply DO.

Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted some advise since this cumulative knowledge know all.
According to my AACOMAS app I have a 3.09 sGPA and a 2.67 regular GPA, I went through some hard times with my family when I started college but have shown an upward trend. I got a 28 on my MCAT (7v, 10p, 11b), I did bad in VR well because english is my second language and I read it super slow. I have good EC and I did research for a year in a neurology lab and I am also listed as a disadvantage student (financially). I have gotten many secondaries back, but I am starting to see that some schools are just rejecting my application because I don't meet the minimum requirements. So that basically means that everything I explained to them was from nothing? I was just filtered out with the other students that didn't have a reasonable reason of why their GPA plummeted for a period in their life? Also, could you guys help me out and tell me what can I do and/or which schools I should apply to?
I have applied to:
both ATSU (Kirksville, MO and the one in AZ)
Midwestern AZ and IL (and just got rejected from IL)
DMU-COM
VCOM-CC
both LECOM
MSU-COM
NYIT-COM
PCOM
Touro NY & CA (just rejected by CA)
Rowan SOM
Western U/COMP
WCUCOM

Thanks,

Your GPA is unworkable at the moment. Your MCAT is mediocre. You need to retake classes you did poorly in to raise your GPA, and get As in all of them.

Everyone has a laundry list of explanations for their GPA. Yours is not special.

Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted some advise since this cumulative knowledge know all.
According to my AACOMAS app I have a 3.09 sGPA and a 2.67 regular GPA, I went through some hard times with my family when I started college but have shown an upward trend. I got a 28 on my MCAT (7v, 10p, 11b), I did bad in VR well because english is my second language and I read it super slow. I have good EC and I did research for a year in a neurology lab and I am also listed as a disadvantage student (financially). I have gotten many secondaries back, but I am starting to see that some schools are just rejecting my application because I don't meet the minimum requirements. So that basically means that everything I explained to them was from nothing? I was just filtered out with the other students that didn't have a reasonable reason of why their GPA plummeted for a period in their life? Also, could you guys help me out and tell me what can I do and/or which schools I should apply to?
I have applied to:
both ATSU (Kirksville, MO and the one in AZ)
Midwestern AZ and IL (and just got rejected from IL)
DMU-COM
VCOM-CC
both LECOM
MSU-COM
NYIT-COM
PCOM
Touro NY & CA (just rejected by CA)
Rowan SOM
Western U/COMP
WCUCOM

Thanks,
You really need to start your own thread to get responses. It gets confusing, otherwise.

Dividing fast food chains into tiers doesn't mean the product is getting progressively better. You're falling for the marketing while others know where their food comes from & how its made.

Your GPA is unworkable at the moment. Your MCAT is mediocre. You need to retake classes you did poorly in to raise your GPA, and get As in all of them.

Everyone has a laundry list of explanations for their GPA. Yours is not special.
I think having two members of my family murdered is considered special, well at least I hope it is because I wouldn't wish this on any other person.
Thanks for your response though, I know you are being sincere.

I'm very sorry to hear that. That could be a powerful element in your story, absolutely. But you still need to show you've overcome it and perform at a high level academically for some time.